PDA

View Full Version : What's the Appeal of Underpowered Imports About?

Dominic Toretto
10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
From what I have noticed, the following of young people towards cars like, stanced VWs, bagged Hondas etc is MUCH larger than those for cars like V8 Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes or even powerful imports like Supras and GTRs. And I just can't seem to understand why that is. The build quality of domestics is no where near as bad as it was in the 90s and earlier. Another observation is that the people buying these cars are definitely not concerned with cost. They'll buy a $30k Accord and put a set CCWs or other expensive wheel on there and have a car that is slow as hell. I just don't get what the craze is about.

Here are the types of cars I am referring to. I just can't imagine buying one of these cars over something like a 5.0 Mustang, C6 ZO6, Gen 2 Viper etc.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/HondaFit.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/h2oi_2013_WHITBECK_014-1110x725.jpg

-Alex

DirtyD
10-05-2013, 09:29 PM
They get what they can afford and mod it. Some do it tastefully, and are perfectly content with have a nice show quality car that isn't crazy fast.

downtime!
10-05-2013, 09:30 PM
It has a lot to do with what's popular in the culture at any given time. My generation still lusts after 60's musclecars, and even the tailfins of the 50's.

And it has to do with what the kids saw as they grew through their formative years. Was Dad driving an old hot rod, or a Civic?

And finally, it's got a lot to do with what's affordable. When I was coming up, you could drop by any car lot in the DFW area and find an old muscle car in decent shape for under $2000. Being a kid of 16, and not having much of a job yet, I did what I could, and that meant a steady diet of '69 Camaros, '70 Mustangs, etc, etc, until I had landed a better job, so I could get a nicer ride. Kids now a days are doing exactly the same thing, they just have a vastly different pool of cars to choose from now.

unit_three
10-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Price difference between a brand new loaded Honda vs a loaded Mustang is pretty big.

garner
10-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Personally I'm not big on the whole stance thing but I can see the reasoning behind it. Some people just don't need or want the speed that a muscle car or sports car delivers, plus insurance costs(in most cases), and features available at the price point

Like if I hadn't wanted a 5.0 for the past 3 years; I would've highly considered a passat, cc, accord, mazda 6, fusion ecoboost, altima, etc due to the features they come with in the low $30k msrp price point

JDMLOL
10-06-2013, 02:08 AM
A lot of guys can make those vdubs and Hondas look pretty good. Not my thing though, I like speed. I've always had a thing for muscle/pony cars ever since I was young. The cars you speak of themselves may not be much cheaper than ours but think about all the stuff speed demons break once we start looking for more power? The stance guys just have wheels and suspension on an otherwise stock car.

kdanner
10-06-2013, 04:29 AM
I see it as the same old "look at me" crap. No different than when I was in high school in the 80s and the idiots would install the biggest camshaft they could, just for the sound, to get people to look. Never mind that they just made their car even slower, just like these huge wheels do. Oh, and you had to have some raspy assed cherry bomb mufflers to go with that too. :grd:

re-rx7
10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Ive owned Rsx's, Is300's, civics before and the reason for me was making something not quick at all into somethng surprising. Say what you will about Japanese car but the parts are second to none. Ive yet to see a domestic manufacturer have such high quality products.

Dominic Toretto
10-06-2013, 10:34 AM
It has a lot to do with what's popular in the culture at any given time.

Apparently these cars are very much pop culture.

Price difference between a brand new loaded Honda vs a loaded Mustang is pretty big.

I went to Edmunds.com and priced the following cars without actually building up options.

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 no Nav $30,860
2013 Scion FRS 10 Series $28,180
2013 Volkswagen CC Sport Plus $33,820

Now these cars are slightly cheaper. Now considering the mods that are done for the most part like coilovers ~$2,000, very nice forged wheels ~$4,500 and tires $1,000, you can see the cost of a powerful domestic is well within reason if not cheaper. Look better driving too :)

Personally I'm not big on the whole stance thing but I can see the reasoning behind it. Some people just don't need or want the speed that a muscle car or sports car delivers, plus insurance costs(in most cases), and features available at the price point

Like if I hadn't wanted a 5.0 for the past 3 years; I would've highly considered a passat, cc, accord, mazda 6, fusion ecoboost, altima, etc due to the features they come with in the low $30k msrp price point

Interesting point. What features are these cars coming with, that domestics don't get for $30k?

Ive owned Rsx's, Is300's, civics before and the reason for me was making something not quick at all into somethng surprising. Say what you will about Japanese car but the parts are second to none. Ive yet to see a domestic manufacturer have such high quality products.

I'll admit that interior fit and finish is not equal to that of Honda or Toyota but, it certainly isn't bad in comparison. Not from what I can see. I've dated girls with daily driven imports, and for $30k, I did not see what the big deal was with the interiors. I do respect the nice imports such as Evos, Supras, STis, RX7s, Mitsubishi GTOs etc.

-Alex

re-rx7
10-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I'll admit that interior fit and finish is not equal to that of Honda or Toyota but, it certainly isn't bad in comparison. Not from what I can see. I've dated girls with daily driven imports, and for $30k, I did not see what the big deal was with the interiors. I do respect the nice imports such as Evos, Supras, STis, RX7s, Mitsubishi GTOs etc.

-Alex

I was referring to Aftermarket parts as far as fit and finish to me its almost even. Ive had an Evo and it was a fast nimble machine but the interior was better in a KIA LOL! The Rx7 I had was just a bare bones machine made to tackle corners. GTO's and Supras The interiors were just beautiful.

unit_three
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Interesting point. What features are these cars coming with, that domestics don't get for $30k?

A base mustang gt starts at around $30k. My loaded Optima SX has leather, glass roof, Touch screen Nav, Infinity Sound System, and Heated/Cooled seats. These options on a Mustang start pushing the price closer to $40k.

$10k is a big difference.

garner
10-06-2013, 01:36 PM

-Alex

A base mustang gt starts at around $30k. My loaded Optima SX has leather, glass roof, Touch screen Nav, Infinity Sound System, and Heated/Cooled seats. These options on a Mustang start pushing the price closer to $40k.

^That. But it's pretty much stuff like that giving them an edge, at least compared to the 5.0. Now the v6 you can get fully loaded for similar price point but then you're dealing with the v6 vs v8 bs

Dominic Toretto
10-06-2013, 02:15 PM
^That. But it's pretty much stuff like that giving them an edge, at least compared to the 5.0. Now the v6 you can get fully loaded for similar price point but then you're dealing with the v6 vs v8 bs

Good point. I'd drive a base GT over a loaded V6 all day.

I got my 2012 with the premium package for less than $30k. I'd much rather have a well-appointed, one year older GT vs a brand new Honda Accord. Actually I would never buy a brand new car of any make. I am not thrilled to take that hit of depreciation no matter who builds the car.

-Alex

JDMLOL
10-06-2013, 02:24 PM

They price matched mine to one at another dealer for just under 26k brand new.

Midnight11
10-06-2013, 02:41 PM

base mustangs go for 25-27 all day
premiums 28-30
prem +options 31-36

re-rx7
10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
How about because not everyone wants a mustang. THe car culture is broad and i for one am thankful for it. I kind of want an Rx8. Those cars handle extremely well.

unit_three
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
They price matched mine to one at another dealer for just under 26k brand new.

base mustangs go for 25-27 all day
premiums 28-30
prem +options 31-36

I'm talking MSRP to MSRP comparisons. The same price reduction applies to the imports.

Dominic Toretto
10-06-2013, 04:02 PM
How about because not everyone wants a mustang. THe car culture is broad and i for one am thankful for it. I kind of want an Rx8. Those cars handle extremely well.

Not just Mustangs. I am talking about compared to higher powered domestics in general. I'd much rather drive a C5Z06, Gen 2 Viper, Mustang GT, 2004 Cobra etc before a Mazda 3 with $4k rims. I just don't see how cars like that are more attractive.

-Alex

re-rx7
10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Everyone has different taste. Insurance is certainly cheaper on other cars. Thats one reason, not just outright price. Everyone has different taste. Its just not always about the speed.

Dominic Toretto
10-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I just don't see how a car like thishttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/JamesFRS16-1110x735.jpg has more appeal to anyone over a car like this http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/IMG_0075.jpg

Everyone has different taste.

Different strokes to move the world I guess.

-Alex

re-rx7
10-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Id put money on that FRS in the mountains. My appeal of Imports was weight and balance. The mustang is a dangerous fucking car in the mountains. I hate it. I jus dont feel like im connected to it. Im not saying its a bad car but its just way to heavy. I also love the high rpm of a small displacement engine. I took my rx7 up to the mountains and stayed at 8500 rpm most of the time, superb balance and connection just lIke the S2k. Also with an underpowered car you learn real quick about lines and braking. Since you dont have alot of power, learning momentum, grip and entry point is crucial.

Darkhelmet22
10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I miss my mazdaspeed 3. I waited 7 years for another mustang but now I have one I would almost rather have my ms3 back. Don't get me wrong fwd sucks balls but the feel of driving a car that's light and nimble is more exciting to just drive vs the v8 boat I drive now that's only fun when you push the gas. I hate my mustangs suspension i miss the irs in my old 04 slowbra.

Darkhelmet22
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I want a m3 or cts-v. Best of both worlds.

BERT
10-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I test drove a Focus ST before buying my GT and I absolutely LOVED the ST. Kinda wish I could have afforded the Focus lol

Darkhelmet22
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I test drove a Focus ST before buying my GT and I absolutely LOVED the ST. Kinda wish I could have afforded the Focus lol

It's silly the focus is more than a 5.0

BERT
10-07-2013, 10:07 PM
It's silly the focus is more than a 5.0

That's about what I said when they told me that at the dealership

2012mustang76123
10-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Cost of ownership is way different.
insurance/gas/maintenance/reliability/build quality/depreciation.

Hondas hold insane value the only car I know that holds better value is a wrangler.

OG Fox
10-07-2013, 11:30 PM
would take either of these cars over a domestic anyday.

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Rocket-Bunny-FRS.jpg

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/general-miata-chat-9/19222d1292876852-new-fastback-top-coming-miata-market-fixedthat-jpg

downtime!
10-07-2013, 11:36 PM
LOL! Haven't seen a hard top Miata since I sold mine. I don't even put that car on my list of things I've owned, if that tells you anything about it. Mine didn't look like that though, just a hardtop that looked about like the soft top up. That fastback thing above does not flow well at all with the cars lines. And lets face it, one of the coolest things about a Miata is having the top down. Why add weight to an already underpowered car?

And just for reference, mine wasn't that bad of a car when considering the fun to drive aspect. It just literally fell apart sitting in the driveway. Everyday, I'd go out and find another nut or bolt, or piece of the car, laying on the ground in the garage. I've never heard any other horror stories like mine, so I assume I just got a bad one.

downtime!
10-07-2013, 11:40 PM
And I like the FRS/BRZ cars, don't care for them all stanced out, but I would roll something clean like this -

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2011/11/Subaru-BRZ-Concept-STi.jpg

Dominic Toretto
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Wow an FRS and Miata over a domestic?

Here's a list of domestics that would slaughter those girl cars every day of the week.

1. C6ZR1
2. C5ZO6
3. Saleen S7
4. Viper GTS R
5. GT500
6. Shelby Cobra
7. Ford GT
8. Hennessey Venom
9. Boss 302
10. ZL1

What track records do Miatas and FRSs have?

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
10-07-2013, 11:53 PM
MMmmmmm, yes please.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/CorvetteGrandSport.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/Other%20Cars/Mustang.jpg

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
10-07-2013, 11:54 PM
would take either of these cars over a domestic anyday.

If you would, then why'd you buy a Mustang? The FRS and Miata can be had for the same price.

-Alex

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Here's a list of domestics that would slaughter those girl cars every day of the week.

1. C6ZR1
2. C5ZO6
3. Saleen S7
4. Viper GTS R
5. GT500
6. Shelby Cobra
7. Ford GT
8. Hennessey Venom
9. Boss 302
10. ZL1

-Alex

have you ever been to auto x or a road course? the cars that are the fastest are miatas. for the money you can't get a better handling car. and why are you comparing those ultra high dollars cars to a sub 20k car. and are we talking straight line or the twistys. and I bought my mustang because I like mustangs. I also like other cars as well. I'm a car guy in general, not a fan boy.

2012mustang76123
10-08-2013, 12:18 AM

1. C6ZR1
2. C5ZO6
3. Saleen S7
4. Viper GTS R
5. GT500
6. Shelby Cobra
7. Ford GT
8. Hennessey Venom
9. Boss 302
10. ZL1

-Alex

why are you naming 500k+ cars.

Darkhelmet22
10-08-2013, 07:10 AM
The frs/brz is a wonderful car. Yes it's underpowered but the car drives so well. Who cares it's gets beat by Saleen S7 lol

JDMLOL
10-08-2013, 08:45 AM

1. C6ZR1
2. C5ZO6
3. Saleen S7
4. Viper GTS R
5. GT500
6. Shelby Cobra
7. Ford GT
8. Hennessey Venom
9. Boss 302
10. ZL1

-Alex

You can't compare that list to a miata or frs. Those aren't even the same class of car. Not only that, the only one that comes close to 30k is the boss and it's still around 15k over.

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 08:57 AM
I miss my mazdaspeed 3. I waited 7 years for another mustang but now I have one I would almost rather have my ms3 back. Don't get me wrong fwd sucks balls but the feel of driving a car that's light and nimble is more exciting to just drive vs the v8 boat I drive now that's only fun when you push the gas. I hate my mustangs suspension i miss the irs in my old 04 slowbra.

I had a 2010 MS3 and it was a ball to drive. One of the best handling underpowered cars i drove was a Rx8.

Dominic Toretto
10-08-2013, 09:00 AM
have you ever been to auto x or a road course? the cars that are the fastest are miatas. for the money you can't get a better handling car. and why are you comparing those ultra high dollars cars to a sub 20k car. and are we talking straight line or the twistys. and I bought my mustang because I like mustangs. I also like other cars as well. I'm a car guy in general, not a fan boy.

I am aware of what Miatas are capable of. For most of us, we drive on the street way more than on a track. I haven't driven a Miata at all, are they fun on the street?

why are you naming 500k+ cars.

He said, and I quote "would take either of these cars over a domestic anyday."

Those are plenty of "a domestics" :hidesbehindsofa:

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
10-08-2013, 09:08 AM
You can't compare that list to a miata or frs. Those aren't even the same class of car. Not only that, the only one that comes close to 30k is the boss and it's still around 15k over.

Check the prices of used C5ZO6s. They go for mid $20s all day. New Miatas cost that much.

-Alex

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Yea but you dont get a warranty for that either. Your missing the one pt that matters. Fun to drive aspect. If you've never driven a Miata i encourage you to do so. It is so small and light that you can just toss it anywhere. Cost of ownership is low, insurance low, tires cheap ect.... On given Sunday more mazdas are road raced then any other car. What track records does a miata have? How about most classes at any given track? lolololool

GunsUp
10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I'd say it has a lot to do with insurance these days. Being a young male in TX = huge insurance premiums. You can take something like an import & make it your own & maybe add a power adder. Deep down most of them want a huge V8 but they're expensive

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
I have thought about a Miata for a daily...

GunsUp
10-08-2013, 09:50 AM

You couldn't pull it off

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Drive one and you will feel like your driving a aircraft carrier when you get back in the stang.

Dominic Toretto
10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Yea but you dont get a warranty for that either. Your missing the one pt that matters. Fun to drive aspect. If you've never driven a Miata i encourage you to do so. It is so small and light that you can just toss it anywhere. Cost of ownership is low, insurance low, tires cheap ect.... On given Sunday more mazdas are road raced then any other car. What track records does a miata have? How about most classes at any given track? lolololool

I haven't been able to. I've got a good friend that has a tastefully modded S2000 and he loves boasting about that car. He would never race me in my C5. One day on the way home from work I see him and continue driving. So he speeds up to me on one of the backroads by DFW airport and we nail it from a 35 or 40 roll and left him by like three cars lengths. That's my point. It may be fun on a track but, he never tracks the car. So I just can't see how driving one on the street is fun. When can someone drift through a turn signal lol? If someone were to log the amount of time they spend driving, I'm willing to bet that 98% is done driving on the road and just about as much is used driving in a straight line.

-Alex

46Tbird
10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

I figured if I wanted to ride around in a shitty Passat or something, I'd just find some girl with one and have her take me to lunch in it. I wouldn't actually drop coin on a shitbox like that...

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
You couldn't pull it off
I'm not trying to look good in it. It would be a cheap, small, but fun drivers car that I could daily and still haul Tucker around in by easily removing the passenger seat, not only to save weight, but give him more room to fit. LOL

Plus Stephanie would never be caught dead in it, so it's feasible.

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

I figured if I wanted to ride around in a shitty Passat or something, I'd just find some girl with one and drive around while she stayed home to make me a sandwich like she is supposed to. I wouldn't actually drop coin on a shitbox like that...

Fixed it for you, Danny.

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Drive one and you will feel like your driving a aircraft carrier when you get back in the stang.
As long as I can blow shit up, I'm happy with driving a boat. :D

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I haven't been able to. I've got a good friend that has a tastefully modded S2000 and he loves boasting about that car. He would never race me in my C5. One day on the way home from work I see him and continue driving. So he speeds up to me on one of the backroads by DFW airport and we nail it from a 35 or 40 roll and left him by like three cars lengths. That's my point. It may be fun on a track but, he never tracks the car. So I just can't see how driving one on the street is fun. When can someone drift through a turn signal lol? If someone were to log the amount of time they spend driving, I'm willing to bet that 98% is done driving on the road and just about as much is used driving in a straight line.

-Alex
ITs the way it connects to the driver. You have to drive one to understand. Power isnt everything. Any fool can spend money and be fast. In the turns especially curvy mtn rds Balance is everything and the Miata is balanced as is most of the MS3 line.
As long as I can blow shit up, I'm happy with driving a boat. :D
LOL :leghump:

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 10:18 AM
I wasn't going to comment on this subject until the Miata subject came into it. I have a group of high roller friends who are all into autocrossing/track racing. In the group is a couple of lambos, Porsches, a Backdraft Cobra, a Ferrari and few other high end toys. They've been racing together for many years and they all eventually turned to Miatas to race around the track racing the Spec class. They are very quick around the track and a blast to drive.

That being said, everyone one of them have told me that Miatas are complete piles of shit. They are just cheap to fix and mod, but don't expect them to stay together or last very long. It's a running joke about how crappy they are, but these guys rather throw away a fraction of the money replacing shit on the Miatas than the high cost of their expensive rides around the track that see mainly street duty.

Drive daily or be seen in it off the track? Hell no.

Go out and thrash on it for a weekend around a track with other like minded guys then put it away to drive away in a actual cool car to leave the track? Certainly.

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 10:25 AM
That being said, everyone one of them have told me that Miatas are complete piles of shit. They are just cheap to fix and mod, but don't expect them to stay together or last very long. .

That all depends on treatment. Josh has a sick miata. Id rock that bitch all over the place.

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 10:29 AM
That all depends on treatment. Josh has a sick miata. Id rock that bitch all over the place.
I'm sure Dale's will turn out awesome too.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM

That is a matter of opinion if it's sick or not. His car is a street duty car, he doesn't race it. If he did, it would fall apart like the rest of them do.

If you really want to get down to it, ANY car you take out to track on a regular basis that is going to see extreme abuse is going to take a beating. Some are going to last longer than others. Miatas were designed for 50 year old women for a Sunday afternoon drive and not beating on them around a track. lol

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
That is a matter of opinion if it's sick or not. His car is a street duty car, he doesn't race it. If he did, it would fall apart like the rest of them do.

If you really want to get down to it, ANY car you take out to track on a regular basis that is going to see extreme abuse is going to take a beating. Some are going to last longer than others. Miatas were designed for 50 year old women for a Sunday afternoon drive and not beating on them around a track. lol

any track car will fall apart and need maintenance. no car is designed to be tracked hard from factory.

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Yea thats why they mazdaspeed turbo versions with bigger sways and all.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm sure Dale's will turn out awesome too.

IF Dale actually gets one(I'm not convinced this isn't some crazy hose job yet lol), I doubt he will have it very long. He is a big dude and very tall. He will have to drop the seat to the floorboard just so he has a chance of being able to see through the windshield. He will most likely have to drive it hunched down to be able to see and be able to ride in it with a hardtop. I doubt very seriously the convertible top will clear his head. lol

Almost everyone I know with a Miata has a second car to drive too. Those who don't have a second car don't seem to keep their Miatas for very long street duty.

In my opinion, driving a modded Miata for daily duties is a step backwards from driving a whored out no manners having foxbody Stang which isn't fun to drive everyday either. It really comes down to what a individual owner can tolerate on a daily basis.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
any track car will fall apart and need maintenance. no car is designed to be tracked hard from factory.

I believe I said that in the second part of my post. lol

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
dale has one. i dropped him off to get it yesterday

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
IF Dale actually gets one(I'm not convinced this isn't some crazy hose job yet lol), I doubt he will have it very long. He is a big dude and very tall. He will have to drop the seat to the floorboard just so he has a chance of being able to see through the windshield. He will most likely have to drive it hunched down to be able to see and be able to ride in it with a hardtop. I doubt very seriously the convertible top will clear his head. lol

Almost everyone I know with a Miata has a second car to drive too. Those who don't have a second car don't seem to keep their Miatas for very long street duty.

In my opinion, driving a modded Miata for daily duties is a step backwards from driving a whored out no manners having foxbody Stang which isn't fun to drive everyday either. It really comes down to what a individual owner can tolerate on a daily basis.

the foxbody was a pile of shit. leaked oil every where, power steering leaked everywhere. suspension needed replacing. etc etc etc.

I fit in the miata. I do need a racing seat for more comfort. gets great gas mileage and once i get some wheels and tires it will make good for a double duty autox / daily driver.

I believe I said that in the second part of my post. lol

you're a dick steve.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
dale has one. i dropped him off to get it yesterday

_H4Y3YdstdE

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 11:06 AM
IF Dale actually gets one(I'm not convinced this isn't some crazy hose job yet lol)

Well he has one now. Picture posted to Facebook last night of both him and Jon sitting in it.

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I believe the Miata won the head to head on motortrend. Zoom Zoom bitches.

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I believe the Miata won the head to head on motortrend. Zoom Zoom bitches.

vs what?

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 11:12 AM
at least we know it will get driven unlike steves car

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 11:13 AM

and it will get auto x. every week.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:14 AM

My car has almost 11k miles on it to show it gets driven thank you very much. lol

The upside of this is, when dicks get drawn all over the Miata it will be appropriate. haha!

re-rx7
10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
and it will get auto x. every week.

Mx5 vs Frs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYaSwd4mmk

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 11:17 AM
My car has almost 11k miles on it to show it gets driven thank you very much. lol

The upside of this is, when dicks get drawn all over the Miata it will be appropriate. haha!

11k mikes for 3 years is jack shit

24k on my 13 and love driving it every time

OG Fox
10-08-2013, 11:18 AM

11k? on a 2012? you're like greg bartos jr. and who's car do you think this is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/dz5502/20130802_214903_zps5ea8debd.jpg

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
bahahah

having dicks drawn on your car is a sign of love.... at least thats what i tell myself haha had 28 of them on mine

BERT
10-08-2013, 11:23 AM
the foxbody was a pile of shit. leaked oil every where, power steering leaked everywhere. suspension needed replacing. etc etc etc.

I fit in the miata. I do need a racing seat for more comfort. gets great gas mileage and once i get some wheels and tires it will make good for a double duty autox / daily driver.

you're a dick steve.

I'm pretty sure Steve, like all of us, knows this already

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:24 AM

I bought the car new a year and half ago. I drove it everyday this past weekend including in the gawd damn rain almost wiping the car out on the highway. I drive the car VERY often, I just don't leave my area very much cuz I don't have a need to. I also have a daily driver to haul the kids around in since a Mustang doesn't fit two car seats in the back very well. lol

If you love your car so much, why you buying the Fiesta? lol. Exactly.

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
heaven forbid it got rain on it...

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Steve, like all of us, knows this already

You've been put on the armbar "to do" list.

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
heaven forbid it got rain on it...

Drag radials don't particularly like rain. That was very evident by my wife and I almost smashing into the wall on the highway on the way home...

I don't mind it getting dirty at all cuz it gives me a reason to detail it which I enjoy doing. I don't have to drive it in the rain cuz I have another car.

Driving a Mustang in the rain is like having tits on a nun - pointless.

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 11:33 AM
28500 miles on my car. Loved all of them except when I spun it into a curb last year in a slick intersection during lunch. But I learned by lesson on that, and have definitely learned how to better control the car since then.

I do wish I had another car I could drive from time to time, namely to keep the dog hair out of the Mustang, but oh well.

DirtyD
10-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Driving a Mustang in the rain is like tits on Kate Upton - fun as hell.

As long as you know what you are doing.

BERT
10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
you've been put on the armbar "to do" list.

finally!!!!

Midnight11
10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
i know i was in the rain with radials too

Bearded Banger
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I only drive mine in the rain

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:52 AM
28500 miles on my car. Loved all of them except when I spun it into a curb last year in a slick intersection during lunch. But I learned by lesson on that, and have definitely learned how to better control the car since then.

I do wish I had another car I could drive from time to time, namely to keep the dog hair out of the Mustang, but oh well.

I like cruising the Stang. I drive it when I can but I can't always drive it. I've got two kids and two car seats and their stuff doesn't fit in a Stang. Plus its too loud for the baby. lol

Besides, the point of the Stang is for spirited driving on occasion and I can't do that with the kids in the car.

As I've said before, considering in 7 years I had my 93 Cobra, I put 7k miles on it. So almost 11k in 18 months on the GT is a VAST improvement for me. lol

Junkie
10-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I like cruising the Stang. I drive it when I can but I can't always drive it. I've got two kids and two car seats and their stuff doesn't fit in a Stang. Plus its too loud for the baby. lol

Besides, the point of the Stang is for spirited driving on occasion and I can't do that with the kids in the car.

As I've said before, considering in 7 years I had my 93 Cobra, I put 7k miles on it. So almost 11k in 18 months on the GT is a VAST improvement for me. lol

Wow, I've already put 7k on the Viper

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Wow, I've already put 7k on the Viper

That's because you're other 12 cars are all apart in pieces in shops spread out all over the state. lol

Junkie
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
That's because you're other 12 cars are all apart in pieces in shops spread out all over the state. lol

....or I just drive a lot? lol. I've put 140k on my truck in less than 4 years. I put 7k+ miles on my V before I took it apart. I just drive a shit load.

3 of my cars are apart in MY shop :)

Grandpa
10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
....or I just drive a lot? lol. I've put 140k on my truck in less than 4 years. I put 7k+ miles on my V before I took it apart. I just drive a shit load.

3 of my cars are apart in MY shop :)

I was joking. :)

GunsUp
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM

25k on my 11:peace:

rriddle3
10-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Said it before, but...

50bryan
10-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I love the power on the stang, and its a hell of a lot of fun. but there is a reason why the japanese market is still around, and why a lot of peolpe mod them.

frs/brz for example. is it gonna outrun a 5.0 on the highway? not a chance. but you go through some twisty roads with it, or just hooligan it around town, its a blast.
in my opinion its much more fun to drive a slow car that is balanced (not a camry, but s2000, brz/frs, miata) fast than to drive a fast car slow, and i think this fits well in this case.

the other side of the fence has the same questions too. "Why do people buy domestic? all they do is run it in a straight line and make massive power and as soon as a corner comes around they can't hold it and spin". etc.

I love the mustang, and i'm not regretting making the change from my 350z to the mustang at all, but the 350z, or other japanese/european sports cars have something that the domestics lack a little of. and that's feel. i know it sounds stupid, and i know it might not be quantifiable, BUT the way the car moves around a corner, the way it hugs the corner as you exit out in speed. thats the beauty of those cars.

you take a jap sports car, take it to mexico, and you get a green left arrow or a clear right turn, and you heel toe from 3rd to 2nd (or 3rd to fourth if you're going fast enough i guess) and hold the line all the way through, with a little tail slide at the end, and if you tell me that that isn't fun, then i guess you won't ever like these cars.

hellaflush/stance and all that is for dopey kids looking to get a confidence boost by throwing their suspension geometry completely off and scraping everywhere they go just so they can feel good about themselves anyways, so not much to defend there.

Dominic Toretto
10-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I love the power on the stang, and its a hell of a lot of fun. but there is a reason why the japanese market is still around, and why a lot of peolpe mod them.

frs/brz for example. is it gonna outrun a 5.0 on the highway? not a chance. but you go through some twisty roads with it, or just hooligan it around town, its a blast.
in my opinion its much more fun to drive a slow car that is balanced (not a camry, but s2000, brz/frs, miata) fast than to drive a fast car slow, and i think this fits well in this case.

the other side of the fence has the same questions too. "Why do people buy domestic? all they do is run it in a straight line and make massive power and as soon as a corner comes around they can't hold it and spin". etc.

I love the mustang, and i'm not regretting making the change from my 350z to the mustang at all, but the 350z, or other japanese/european sports cars have something that the domestics lack a little of. and that's feel. i know it sounds stupid, and i know it might not be quantifiable, BUT the way the car moves around a corner, the way it hugs the corner as you exit out in speed. thats the beauty of those cars.

you take a jap sports car, take it to mexico, and you get a green left arrow or a clear right turn, and you heel toe from 3rd to 2nd (or 3rd to fourth if you're going fast enough i guess) and hold the line all the way through, with a little tail slide at the end, and if you tell me that that isn't fun, then i guess you won't ever like these cars.

hellaflush/stance and all that is for dopey kids looking to get a confidence boost by throwing their suspension geometry completely off and scraping everywhere they go just so they can feel good about themselves anyways, so not much to defend there.

Very nice answer. That basically explains what I was not understanding about driving a slow car around town. Still not my cup of tea but, I understand it a lot better now.

And the stance guys... they're just lame :)

-Alex

50bryan
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Very nice answer. That basically explains what I was not understanding about driving a slow car around town. Still not my cup of tea but, I understand it a lot better now.

And the stance guys... they're just lame :)

-Alex

completely agreed on the stance dudebros. :rondod:

STROKD
10-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I'd like to point out that not ALL domestics handle badly... Most of them out handle rice/euro cars. They just have higher limits...

Take Junkie's Viper. To "feel" like a FRS or 370 Z in a turn pushing it's limits you'd have to be going over 100 mph on an off ramp. Trust me, it will fuck up any FRS car around, probably even the raced out go cart ones.

JDMLOL
10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Check the prices of used C5ZO6s. They go for mid $20s all day. New Miatas cost that much.

-Alex

Didnt see the 5 I thought it was a c6z that's the only one.

50bryan
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd like to point out that not ALL domestics handle badly... Most of them out handle rice/euro cars. They just have higher limits...

Take Junkie's Viper. To "feel" like a FRS or 370 Z in a turn pushing it's limits you'd have to be going over 100 mph on an off ramp. Trust me, it will fuck up any FRS car around, probably even the raced out go cart ones.

of course not. domestics handle well as well. obv the viper. the vettes do pretty well as well. but considering the price difference between a viper and an frs...
wouldnt it be fair to compare the viper to the gtr then?

and thats also why i say those cars are popular. you can go 40-50 and have a blast.

50bryan
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
with that being said.... F THE GTR VIPER ALL DAY

2012mustang76123
10-10-2013, 12:45 AM
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Untitled-43.jpg

Pure sex. If they really do make it 0-60 in under 2 seconds i'll really think about getting one.

STROKD
10-10-2013, 05:51 PM
It'd prob do that with current pwr if they took 1000 lbs out of the car. That car under 3k would be the bizness.

Dominic Toretto
10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Pure sex. If they really do make it 0-60 in under 2 seconds i'll really think about getting one.

The fact that a Nissan GTR is within your price range clearly means you are doing something right in life. Pretty sure those 9 and ten second GTRs are doing 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

-Alex

2012mustang76123
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
It'd prob do that with current pwr if they took 1000 lbs out of the car. That car under 3k would be the bizness.

That's the nismo.

Price isn't the issue that stopped me from getting one it was the insurance rate. My rate would be almost 6x higher than what im paying for mustang.

Self insurance is a must with one of those cars.

STROKD
10-11-2013, 12:41 AM
That's the nismo.

Price isn't the issue that stopped me from getting one it was the insurance rate. My rate would be almost 6x higher than what im paying for mustang.

Self insurance is a must with one of those cars.

I wish I could swing a 100K car at 35, let alone 24...

Sieran
10-11-2013, 12:22 PM
As much as I love my Mustang, I miss my VW GTI. Small turbo 4-banger but man was it fun as hell to drive. Once I had it tuned and was putting about 190 to the wheels it was even more fun. Just felt like a go-kart, quick, nimble, and just easy to drive.

The Mustang on the other hand is fast, rear-wheel drive, and a bitch to handle some times in the wrong weather. I also worry all the time about pushing it because I could get in trouble real fast... either with the law or missing a corner.

Plus I think some of the interiors are hard to beat:

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d/8994-2/DSC03022.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d/9010-2/DSC03027.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d/9486-2/_DSC0204.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d/11183-2/DSC_0231.JPG

DirtyD
10-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Only VW I'd like to have would be a W12 Golf, and R32, or a Passat TDI. Too bad they don't make a GLI Passat. That would be EPIC.

downtime!
10-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Plaid seats FTMFW! I've always had a soft spot for VW's and would love to find a gen 1 GTi in decent shape. I remember when living in LA, a buddy of mine had an '84 GTi with the Oetinger (sp?) 2.0L 16V conversion. Car made something like 210 at the wheels, way back then. Would beat the living shit out of my '88 Vette on the twisties. Just leave me like I hit the brakes. Really fun car!

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d/9010-2/DSC03027.JPG

JDBishopArts
10-11-2013, 02:08 PM
The appeal of underpowered imports is underage girls.

DirtyD
10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
The appeal of underpowered imports is underage girls.
With big boobs and no brains. That makes it more fun.

JDMLOL
10-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Plaid seats FTMFW! I've always had a soft spot for VW's and would love to find a gen 1 GTi in decent shape. I remember when living in LA, a buddy of mine had an '84 GTi with the Oetinger (sp?) 2.0L 16V conversion. Car made something like 210 at the wheels, way back then. Would beat the living shit out of my '88 Vette on the twisties. Just leave me like I hit the brakes. Really fun car!

I had a 2010 gti. It was a piece of eurotrash.

Sieran
10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I had a 2010 gti. It was a piece of eurotrash.

To be honest, they were. 2011+ were much better. Unless you go back much further in time they had a pretty bad run for many years.

JDMLOL
10-11-2013, 09:28 PM
To be honest, they were. 2011+ were much better. Unless you go back much further in time they had a pretty bad run for many years.

What was so much better? The 11+ was still an mk vi like the 2010.

downtime!
10-11-2013, 09:47 PM
I'll take one of these -

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1984-VW-GTI-Callawayupdate3.jpg

And I would sell everything I own to have one of these -

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2010/04/renault-r5-turbo.jpg

Sieran
10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
What was so much better? The 11+ was still an mk vi like the 2010.

Dunno, all of the 2010s and below that I seen at the meets seemed less polished/refined and slower than the 11+. Not to mention lots of broken shit... but may have been the people I was around.

JDMLOL
10-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Dunno, all of the 2010s and below that I seen at the meets seemed less polished/refined and slower than the 11+. Not to mention lots of broken shit... but may have been the people I was around.

The 2010+ were all the same. 2.0t tsi.

Dominic Toretto
10-11-2013, 11:17 PM
What is that red car?

-Alex

downtime!
10-11-2013, 11:44 PM
What is that red car?

-AlexThat's a Renault R5 Turbo 2, better known as the Killer Chipmonk. The engine (a high strung 2.0L turbo) sits sideways, directly behind the front seats. The car is just all kinds of freaking awesome.

5HIFT3D
10-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Ricers are the most unreliable pieces of epic shit on the road today. What the ricer owners at the course refuse to tell you is the fact that they have the more electrical issues known in the automotive industry. The overpriced LFA and GTR are both nice and well powered cars but still can't hold a well rounded vettte or GT. May I remind you that drifting being their favorite auto sport in Japan is ruled by none other than a FORD MUSTANG. American Muscle rules the automotive world! Oh yeah I completely destroyed a tuned EVO this morning;-)

re-rx7
10-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Ricers are the most unreliable pieces of epic shit on the road today. What the ricer owners at the course refuse to tell you is the fact that they have the more electrical issues known in the automotive industry. The overpriced LFA and GTR are both nice and well powered cars but still can't hold a well rounded vettte or GT. May I remind you that drifting being their favorite auto sport in Japan is ruled by none other than a FORD MUSTANG. American Muscle rules the automotive world! Oh yeah I completely destroyed a tuned EVO this morning;-)

Gt vs gtr:snoopfacepalm: lol

Tuned evo? 8 and 9 evos put dwn 400whp with intake tune exhaust. The stock 16g is a stout turbo.

Stangmaster281
10-12-2013, 09:00 PM
^ Are you facepalming because the Ford Gt would lose to a gtr or the other way around?

Dominic Toretto
10-12-2013, 09:35 PM
A GTR would certainly handle a FGT all day. I'd rather have a FGT all day though. I've seen women driving GTRs.

-Alex

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 12:06 AM
A GTR would certainly handle a FGT all day. I'd rather have a FGT all day though. I've seen women driving GTRs.

-Alex

Alot of truth.

50bryan
10-13-2013, 02:56 AM

Vaughn gittin Jr rules driving now? LOL.

Dominic Toretto
10-13-2013, 10:03 AM
I would drive this import all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8Kz2H8iU4

-Alex

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Just give me a Supra.

5HIFT3D
10-13-2013, 12:38 PM
I have personally never seen a Ford GT GTX1 run but I have seen a GTR run and being a very fast car as it is, along with other rice mobiles, is not even close. Think about what you are all saying, the fastest street legal car in the WORLD on paper is in fact a LS9 powered Venom GT built by none other than John Hennessey the only vehicle coming close is a 2.4 million dollar Bugatti Veyron. Now I know the price tags on this branding of vehicle is only a dream for most of us but I choose American built muscle all day. I amnot ssaying Guitten Jr. is the best driver in drifting but a driver is only capable of performing aswell as what he drives. A standing quarter in a Ford GT is around 11.00-11.5 and a GTR is the same. Notice I quoted GT and not a 1000+ rwhp GTX1 which is in the supercar class a GTR is not. My race with the EVO was fun and when I said he was tuned I meant he had verbally confirmed he was tuned. I don't care about if he had aftermarket mods on his car and when I showed him my under the hood product, being a stock 5.0, he flipped his lid. He was absolutely beside himself and I laughed closed my hood got in my car and left. Sorry for the long read for most I am just a believer in home grown muscle. I wonder why dragster and funny car is American powered? Scratching my head on that one

Dominic Toretto
10-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I don't consider a Nissan GTR to be an underpowered car by any modern standards. That car doesn't really fit this thread to begin with.

-Alex

garner
10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
I have personally never seen a Ford GT GTX1 run but I have seen a GTR run and being a very fast car as it is, along with other rice mobiles, is not even close. Think about what you are all saying, the fastest street legal car in the WORLD on paper is in fact a LS9 powered Venom GT built by none other than John Hennessey the only vehicle coming close is a 2.4 million dollar Bugatti Veyron. Now I know the price tags on this branding of vehicle is only a dream for most of us but I choose American built muscle all day. I amnot ssaying Guitten Jr. is the best driver in drifting but a driver is only capable of performing aswell as what he drives. A standing quarter in a Ford GT is around 11.00-11.5 and a GTR is the same. Notice I quoted GT and not a 1000+ rwhp GTX1 which is in the supercar class a GTR is not. My race with the EVO was fun and when I said he was tuned I meant he had verbally confirmed he was tuned. I don't care about if he had aftermarket mods on his car and when I showed him my under the hood product, being a stock 5.0, he flipped his lid. He was absolutely beside himself and I laughed closed my hood got in my car and left. Sorry for the long read for most I am just a believer in home grown muscle. I wonder why dragster and funny car is American powered? Scratching my head on that one

Well there are the alpha 10 to compare with the gtx1

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Because drag racing is popular almost only in the US??? You do realize there are 1000+hp GTR's aswell dont you?

I don't consider a Nissan GTR to be an underpowered car by any modern standards. That car doesn't really fit this thread to begin with.

-Alex
For real.

5HIFT3D
10-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Now we are talking, I to believe the GTR should not be a part of this discussion and I would love to get behind the wheel of those bad boys one day. At 120K I would buy a viper or a zr1 first. Drag racing is American made along with NASCAR but I see Toyotas out on that track. Don't you guys see the ricers at the Drag racing track aswell? They have to do a lot of mods to keep up is all that I am trying to say. I can't stand seeing a slammed pissed off bumblebee sounding civic bouncing its way down the road. Good talk but it is now football time and my Cowboys have to redeem their selves tonight.

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Now we are talking, I to believe the GTR should not be a part of this discussion and I would love to get behind the wheel of those bad boys one day. At 120K I would buy a viper or a zr1 first. Drag racing is American made along with NASCAR but I see Toyotas out on that track. Don't you guys see the ricers at the Drag racing track aswell? They have to do a lot of mods to keep up is all that I am trying to say. I can't stand seeing a slammed pissed off bumblebee sounding civic bouncing its way down the road. Good talk but it is now football time and my Cowboys have to redeem their selves tonight.

Nascar is an american thing as well. Toyota does it for brand imaging. God knows why but they do. Evos can get in the 11's with bolton's just like the 5.0.

5HIFT3D
10-13-2013, 01:41 PM
A lot more work for them though.

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 01:43 PM
A lot more work for them though.
How so? Intake, tune, exhaust? Sounds like about what we do.

5HIFT3D
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
True but my car was 27K new and an Evo Gsr the best they have is 40K. Evo is still in the 13 + second mark new with no mods. I do whatever mods for 13K and I am running with the GT500 s and Vettes and the GTR. I am not claiming a definite win. Their launch times are impressive but that is all they have.

Dominic Toretto
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
At 120K I would buy a viper or a zr1 first.

Ditto. I definitely respect a GTR but a Viper or ZR1 is more my type of car... and looks better.

Their launch times are impressive but that is all they have.

They will also out handle a 5.0. But for $40k you can get a Boss 302 which will handle very well and be faster than the Evo.

-Alex

OG Fox
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
you guys are comparing apples to oranges. those american cars are made for going fast in a straight line. and the foreign cars are made for going fast in a turn. it all depends on your end goal.
i had a nice 12 5.0 that did double duty on the drag strip and road course, but it would have taken lots more in suspension upgrades to handle as well as my bone stock miata now.

its all relative, what do you wanna go fast in? straight line or curves. i choose curves.

5HIFT3D
10-13-2013, 06:37 PM
That is why I watched a bit of the le mans this year because ford decided to come out swinging amongst the bmw and porsche products. It just takes a nice weight ratio and suspension upgrades. We have the power. Hell they're throwing the focus st in the ring with the evo and wrx nowadays.

Dominic Toretto
10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
you guys are comparing apples to oranges. those american cars are made for going fast in a straight line.

Some of the fastest cars around the Nurburgring are Corvettes and Vipers. Actually a Viper held the record not too long ago. Just sayin.

its all relative, what do you wanna go fast in? straight line or curves. i choose curves.

I choose straight lines. I'd say 99% of the time spent in my car travelling is going in a straight line. You're only going through a turn for a few seconds.

-Alex

2012mustang76123
10-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Some of the fastest cars around the Nurburgring are Corvettes and Vipers. Actually a Viper held the record not too long ago. Just sayin.

I choose straight lines. I'd say 99% of the time spent in my car travelling is going in a straight line. You're only going through a turn for a few seconds.

-Alex

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

5th place for viper. next domestic is 11th.

hennessy would have to take it to germany to earn respect currently the gtx1 is still a "niche".

Dominic Toretto
10-13-2013, 08:04 PM
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

5th place for viper. next domestic is 11th.

hennessy would have to take it to germany to earn respect currently the gtx1 is still a "niche".

Exactly. A Viper is a production car within the realm of reality for people to own. The Porsche 918 JUST came out. The Radical cars I am betting aren't even street legal and the Gumpert looks like it was built in a highschool shop class... and the GTR is 5 spots below the Viper.

-Alex

OG Fox
10-13-2013, 09:19 PM

-Alex

I will be doing auto x every weekend and will do the occasional track day. until you do a track day. i wouldn't expect you to understand. nothing like doing a 100mph in a corner.

re-rx7
10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Alot of people forget the gtr is getting old. 5yrs now and still competes. The new one is coming.