PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Shelby GT350 has paddle shifters!!! Possible dual clutch!

saunupe1911
09-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Guys,

Check out these MotorTrend spy shots. They managed to get pics of the steering wheel, which has paddle shifters for their TOP DOG Mustang. Why am I so excited about this!. Well, that means this monster might have a dual clutch trans pushing over 550 horses with an IRS! That's a winning formula for an extremely fast car that puts the power down.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2015-ford-shelby-mustang-gt350-prototype-spied-407453.html#axzz2fFqJKh29

Grandpa
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Bleh...sounds more like a BMW than a Mustang.

saunupe1911
09-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Ehhh, I'm not following you sir. How is that a bad or mediocore thing? M cars aren't slow in a straight line or in the curves. Even the bloated newer generation cars are quick. Speed is speed. A quick paddle shifting trans, IRS, and extreme power usually = a quick car

Grandpa
09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Ehhh, I'm not following you sir. How is that a bad or mediocore thing? M cars aren't slow in a straight line or in the curves. Even the bloated newer generation cars are quick. Speed is speed. A quick paddle shifting trans, IRS, and extreme power usually = a quick car

It's not a "bad" thing, it's just getting away from what a Mustang is really about. BMW's are great drivers cars but they are completely different type of car than a Mustang is. If I wanted a BMW, I'd go buy one.

blownaltered
09-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It's not a "bad" thing, it's just getting away from what a Mustang is really about. BMW's are great drivers cars but they are completely different type of car than a Mustang is. If I wanted a BMW, I'd go buy one.

I have to agree, seems to lose the nostalgia. Also for the irs people will just be breaking the half shafts again.

DirtyD
09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't see paddle shifters...I see washer handle and turn signal handle?

saunupe1911
09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I didn't see paddle shifters...I see washer handle and turn signal handle?

It seem like the tester is pulling back with his left and there's a silver lever like thing right in front of the windsheild washer on the right side so I don't know. (shrugs)

saunupe1911
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM

I think Ford will still keep the nostalgia and muscle/pony car feel. I seriously doubt they had enough R&D cash to refine the car to be like an M car or higher end GT. I just hope they keep adding the latest "go fast" tech.

46Tbird
09-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Great, another $70k M3 competitor!

Too many people whine and cry about "build quality" this and "NVH" that. If you want a high-end car, go buy a German one. I want a hot rod.

Even though the new car is likely to be leaps and bounds better than the S197 platform, I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the '12 for a while. But I drive junky old shit, what do I know?

brtnstrns
09-18-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that "paddle shifter" is just a shadow following the contours of the dash.

Dominic Toretto
09-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm on board for a dual clutch. Don't the current GT500s already have well over 600hp like 662 though?

-Alex

garner
09-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Think a dual clutch trans may be getting a little ahead. Probably just another shifting option rather than the way the 5.0 are now with the buttons on the shifter

Ear rak
09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm on board for a dual clutch. Don't the current GT500s already have well over 600hp like 662 though?

-Alex

Yes, but ford has already said the next gt500 type of mustang will be N/A around 500-550hp

03MachMe
09-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, but ford has already said the next gt500 type of mustang will be N/A around 500-550hp

we still dont know if it will be NA or not. All we know is it will it will not have the supercharged 5.8. My guess is still a TT 5.0 "ecoboost"

Dominic Toretto
09-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Wow, that sucks. Source of information?

-Alex

re-rx7
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
This.

I like to drive my cars and shifting the gears is part of that. Plus Ford built a shit DC in the Focus and still needs time to refine that tech.

Wow, that sucks. Source of information?

-Alex
I fail to see how 550whp N/a sucks when your always talkign about Zo6 vettes and there awesome 505hp. This new stang wll be close in weight to a vette.

re-rx7
09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
we still dont know if it will be NA or not. All we know is it will it will not have the supercharged 5.8. My guess is still a TT 5.0 "ecoboost"

I said along time ago it would prolly be a either a supercharged or Eco-charged 5.0 with DI. Thats really the thing im worried about. If whether or not these new engines will be DI.

DirtyD
09-20-2013, 09:10 AM
I don't think it will be turbo, much less TT.

I think maybe a VMP TVS. :D

re-rx7
09-20-2013, 09:14 AM

WIN!!!!:rage: Maybe a stroked 5.0?

Grandpa
09-20-2013, 09:17 AM

Stop drinking the VMP Kool-Aid. The kit is very, very overrated and overpriced.

re-rx7
09-20-2013, 09:20 AM
A blower in every mustang and a foot in every ass!

DirtyD
09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Stop drinking the VMP Kool-Aid. The kit is very, very overrated and overpriced.
He took an already good Roush platform and made it better. It's proven to perform, so not sure how it's overrated in your book. He knows what he is doing, which is why he actually helped develop and design the GT500 TVS. Not sure why you don't like VMP. It's overpriced because he doesn't have the ability to make it a mass production like kit like Whipple and Roush can afford to do. But for the support in both install, tuning, and everything you have access to with Justin, I think it's worth it.

Grandpa
09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
He took an already good Roush platform and made it better. It's proven to perform, so not sure how it's overrated in your book. He knows what he is doing, which is why he actually helped develop and design the GT500 TVS. Not sure why you don't like VMP. It's overpriced because he doesn't have the ability to make it a mass production like kit like Whipple and Roush can afford to do. But for the support in both install, tuning, and everything you have access to with Justin, I think it's worth it.

I never said I didn't like VMP, but the VMP kit is the latest trendy rage by young Stangers who don't get it. In order to take full advantage of the VMP kit you need a fully built motor, a full fuel system, twin disc clutch and a built transmission. Even then you are at block spiltting power levels. There are no blocks available for these cars yet that can reliably handle the power.

Most people who buy them, are putting them on stock motors and it's WAY overkill. It's over $2500 more than a standard roush kit which is just as capable of making motor blowing power.

If a fully built car is in your future, by all means buy the kit. If not, you're just wasting money on not using the kit in its effiency range.

DirtyD
09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I never said I didn't like VMP, but the VMP kit is the latest trendy rage by young Stangers who don't get it. In order to take full advantage of the VMP kit you need a fully built motor, a full fuel system, twin disc clutch and a built transmission. Even then you are at block spiltting power levels. There are no blocks available for these cars yet that can reliably handle the power.

Most people who buy them, are putting them on stock motors and it's WAY overkill. It's over $2500 more than a standard roush kit which is just as capable of making motor blowing power.

If a fully built car is in your future, by all means buy the kit. If not, you're just wasting money on not using the kit in its effiency range.
With almost any TVS blower, Roush or VMP, you will need a built motor to take full advantage. I am completely aware off all that, but I see it as Justin making the blower that much more capable and efficient. Obviously it is overkill if you never plan to go full built and what not.

Is there any type of comparison out there of his kit and a roush kit? I think that would be interesting to see.

Grandpa
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
With almost any TVS blower, Roush or VMP, you will need a built motor to take full advantage. I am completely aware off all that, but I see it as Justin making the blower that much more capable and efficient. Obviously it is overkill if you never plan to go full built and what not.

Is there any type of comparison out there of his kit and a roush kit? I think that would be interesting to see.

The advantage the VMP kit has is in it's efficiency level. The only people who will be able to take advantage of it are the people who are doing heavy road course racing where the AIT's are at an elevated level for extended periods of time. Otherwise it's big overkill for your typical street car that may do a few pulls here and there, but then the AIT's come right back down.

The normal Roush kits are just as capable of making big power as the VMP kit is. If heavy road course action is in your future, the VMP kit is for you. If it's mainly a car seeing street duty, save yourself a few bucks and buy a normal Roush kit which is very capable of making 800rw.

Dominic Toretto
09-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I fail to see how 550whp N/a sucks when your always talkign about Zo6 vettes and there awesome 505hp. This new stang wll be close in weight to a vette.

I consider it as sucking when you go from 662hp to 550. However, everything is not written in stone yet. We'll see if the weight gets down and if the acceleration is better on the new car than a GT500 with 662hp.

Also, to the people that mod cars, it's pretty common knowledge that modifying an engine already setup for boost is far easier, and cheaper than trying to do the same with an NA engine.

-Alex

BlueBolt
09-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I consider it as sucking when you go from 662hp to 550. However, everything is not written in stone yet. We'll see if the weight gets down and if the acceleration is better on the new car than a GT500 with 662hp.

Also, to the people that mod cars, it's pretty common knowledge that modifying an engine already setup for boost is far easier, and cheaper than trying to do the same with an NA engine.

-Alex

No blower means lighter too. I'd like to see a TT 6.2 in the gt500 myself. :headbang:

Dominic Toretto
09-20-2013, 11:01 PM
No blower means lighter too. I'd like to see a TT 6.2 in the gt500 myself. :headbang:

If they are shaving off 400lbs, I don't see a blower setup as a bad option. Turbos are considered blowers also, and two of them would weigh just as much as a supercharger if not more.

-Alex

brembo12
09-20-2013, 11:06 PM

repair costs will go up along with price......don't like where Ford is going here...... :facepalm:

03MachMe
09-21-2013, 04:49 AM

would not fit in the new body. thats why they are getting rid of the 5.8 is because it wont fit in the new body style.

re-rx7
09-21-2013, 09:21 AM
My dad is thinking it will be a stroked version of the 5.0 going in. As I said in a earlier thread the block is to tall and wide to fit. I can almost guarantee DI.

BlueBolt
09-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure DI is done deal. I used to work for the company that makes ford's engine controllers. We had a timeline on DI in the mustang several years ago. Unless ford has changed the timeline it should be in this model.