PDA

View Full Version : Ran A S/C Cobalt SS Last Night

DirtyD
09-14-2013, 05:49 PM
On my way back home from doing some datalogging for my recent JPC tune, happened to run into a Cobalt slammed on some RPF1s. First thought of the car was just an all show stance/tuner guy. Jumped on the tollway and after a short time he came up beside me.

First run was ~60-120ish roll (3rd gear for me), ended with about 2-2.5 cars on him, as we had to shut down when we came up on unsuspected traffic.

He pulled up beside me for a second run and asked for a 45 roll, I acknowledged and agreed. I started in 3rd again (had a some issues with 2nd gear 45 rolls earlier). He honked it off, and surprisingly, he didn't jumped the gun. I waited for him to jump before I went. Finally shut it down around 140, after putting about 3 cars on him.

We pulled off and chatted for a few minutes. His car, from his mouth, is stock Eaton blower, built top end, E85, making about 300-320whp/270-280wtq, as he hadn't dynoed it after a few upgrades. Of course those cars weigh 2800-2900 lb. Mods for my car are Jegs cat deletes, JLT CF CAI, GT500 ABs, 3.55s, and JPC tune, and weighs 3790 with me and 3/4 tank of 93, but I had about 1/4 tank for this race.

He says that he "typically" pulls stock 5.0s about 1-1.5 cars, so I was happy with how my car performed. He admitted that my car definitely had a strong top end.

Overall, his car definitely surprised the hell out of me as I wasn't expecting that. Haha. He said that he's a member of Dallas GM Elite, and has seen a few other DFW5.0s around I don't know if he's run anyone from our group.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
On my way back home from doing some datalogging for my recent JPC tune, happened to run into a Cobalt slammed on some RPF1s. First thought of the car was just an all show stance/tuner guy. Jumped on the tollway and after a short time he came up beside me.

First run was ~60-120ish roll (3rd gear for me), ended with about 2-2.5 cars on him, as we had to shut down when we came up on unsuspected traffic.

He pulled up beside me for a second run and asked for a 45 roll, I acknowledged and agreed. I started in 3rd again (had a some issues with 2nd gear 45 rolls earlier). He honked it off, and surprisingly, he didn't jumped the gun. I waited for him to jump before I went. Finally shut it down around 140, after putting about 3 cars on him.

We pulled off and chatted for a few minutes. His car, from his mouth, is stock Eaton blower, built top end, E85, making about 300-320whp/270-280wtq, as he hadn't dynoed it after a few upgrades. Of course those cars weigh 2800-2900 lb. Mods for my car are Jegs cat deletes, JLT CF CAI, GT500 ABs, 3.55s, and JPC tune, and weighs 3790 with me and 3/4 tank of 93, but I had about 1/4 tank for this race.

He says that he "typically" pulls stock 5.0s about 1-1.5 cars, so I was happy with how my car performed. He admitted that my car definitely had a strong top end.

Overall, his car definitely surprised the hell out of me as I wasn't expecting that. Haha. He said that he's a member of Dallas GM Elite, and has seen a few other DFW5.0s around I don't know if he's run anyone from our group.

Congrats on the kill. Those Cobalts when built right can be pretty wicked. As far as his numbers he stated, seems a little wired. As TheLandShark(Marcus) who I work with had two of them, and last thursday I was talking to one of their members who had a black one, those cars always make more tq than they do horsepower. Kind of wired how his tq was so low. anywho doesn't really matter but yeah I've heard of the group, they normally dont like us mustangs guys is what the other dude told me haha. but the guy i spoke to was a cool.

DirtyD
09-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Congrats on the kill. Those Cobalts when built right can be pretty wicked. As far as his numbers he stated, seems a little wired. As TheLandShark(Marcus) who I work with had two of them, and last thursday I was talking to one of their members who had a black one, those cars always make more tq than they do horsepower. Kind of wired how his tq was so low. anywho doesn't really matter but yeah I've heard of the group, they normally dont like us mustangs guys is what the other dude told me haha. but the guy i spoke to was a cool.

Yeah, I was surprised at the TQ, but I don't know what typical numbers are.

As for the car, this car was black as well. Did he have gold RPF1s? That is the car I ran. Guy was cool and wasn't a douche by any means. He said there are definitely some turbo 08+ SS' that would be a good run for cars about our power level, Jay.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at the TQ, but I don't know what typical numbers are.

As for the car, this car was black as well. Did he have gold RPF1s? That is the car I ran. Guy was cool and wasn't a douche by any means. He said there are definitely some turbo 08+ SS' that would be a good run for cars about our power level, Jay.

Yeah like i texted you, the one that was at the track was a t/c version not a s/c. He was definitely a good guy. Good to see they've got a good group going on. He told me he was 330hp 360tq on e85. Those cars weigh in at 2800lbs. I told him on the hwy it'd be a great run and i told him i'd almost bet his car would pull. He said he had ran a best of a 9.0 out at northstar with a 2.4 60' just spinning with terrible wheel hop, but fwd cars not to mention turboed are generally back half cars

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 08:38 PM
The turbo ones are solid. Sc not so much. I almost bought one but owning a cobalt wasn't for me. Lol

G-Mann
09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Nice Kill.

I had one of these egging me on a few weeks ago but I was on my way in to work for a special project so i did not run him. But I have to admit I was thinking to myself this dude has got to be joking, perhaps with it being night time and all dude missed my badges. I had no idea until recently how quick those cars can be.

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 02:18 PM
The turbo ones are solid. Sc not so much. I almost bought one but owning a cobalt wasn't for me. Lol

What are you talking about? I sooooo can see you driving one. :)

Nice Kill.

I had one of these egging me on a few weeks ago but I was on my way in to work for a special project so i did not run him. But I have to admit I was thinking to myself this dude has got to be joking, perhaps with it being night time and all dude missed my badges. I had no idea until recently how quick those cars can be.

I'm starting to believe our badge on our fender scare off 75-80% of potential runs lol. And I'm not kidding.

re-rx7
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
What are you talking about? I sooooo can see you driving one. :).

:driver:

DirtyD
09-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm starting to believe our badge on our fender scare off 75-80% of potential runs lol. And I'm not kidding.

I will agree with that.

Hockeyman
09-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Howdy guys. That was my cobalt. We had some good runs! Really clean 5.0 you got there. Wish I had my bigger blower on, maybe we can meet up again when that happens. The car is on a stock blower which is the eaton m62. It has a mild port and a 2.7 ring on it. Car makes about 17 to 18lbs of boost depending on weather. Engine is stock block, ported and built head with cams and springs. Revs to 8k. Runs on e85 with 800cc injectors. You can really crank the timing up on these cars with e85, it's tuned with HPTuners.

Anyway, just stopping in to say hey. I def have some respect for those 5.0s.

re-rx7
09-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Howdy guys. That was my cobalt. We had some good runs! Really clean 5.0 you got there. Wish I had my bigger blower on, maybe we can meet up again when that happens. The car is on a stock blower which is the eaton m62. It has a mild port and a 2.7 ring on it. Car makes about 17 to 18lbs of boost depending on weather. Engine is stock block, ported and built head with cams and springs. Revs to 8k. Runs on e85 with 800cc injectors. You can really crank the timing up on these cars with e85, it's tuned with HPTuners.

Anyway, just stopping in to say hey. I def have some respect for those 5.0s.
Thanks for posting up. Hsng around lol.

Hockeyman
09-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for posting up. Hsng around lol.

Thanks for the welcome. Here's my ride. I'll stick around and pop in from time to time. I'm from the DFWGMElite club.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/XxHockeymaNxX/null_zps2dff35a4.jpg

Regarding the low TQ numbers - The LNF motors on the 08+ turbo cobalts produce gobs of TQ compared to the 05-07 LSJ Supercharged models. They easily make 350+ to the tire. The LSJ cars will almost always be under 300wtq even with a bigger blower. FYI - Tuning is key with this platform. The majority of modded LSJ/LNF cobalts on the road are running canned tunes which SUCK. They really open up when you play with AFR and timing.

If anyone needs more info, i'd be happy to share and help. I know quite a bit about these cars.

-Blake

DirtyD
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey Blake! Thanks for stopping by! And I really appreciate the clarification on everything. Hopefully I can maybe make it out to Alliance and we can go at it again.

Hockeyman
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah like i texted you, the one that was at the track was a t/c version not a s/c. He was definitely a good guy. Good to see they've got a good group going on. He told me he was 330hp 360tq on e85. Those cars weigh in at 2800lbs. I told him on the hwy it'd be a great run and i told him i'd almost bet his car would pull. He said he had ran a best of a 9.0 out at northstar with a 2.4 60' just spinning with terrible wheel hop, but fwd cars not to mention turboed are generally back half cars

That's my buddy Jordan, really good friend of mine. I keep telling him that Northstar is not the greatest track to run, these cars shine in the back half it seems...1/8 just doesn't cut it.

Hey Blake! Thanks for stopping by! And I really appreciate the clarification on everything. Hopefully I can maybe make it out to Alliance and we can go at it again.

No problem, was good to meet you. Alliance was this past Sunday and was a blast! Just very HOT.

Me and my club are heading to Crandall this Friday for Test and Tune, 7PM to midnight, if it isn't raining. Anyone on here going out?

DirtyD
09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
That's my buddy Jordan, really good friend of mine. I keep telling him that Northstar is not the greatest track to run, these cars shine in the back half it seems...1/8 just doesn't cut it.

No problem, was good to meet you. Alliance was this past Sunday and was a blast! Just very HOT.

Me and my club are heading to Crandall this Friday for Test and Tune, 7PM to midnight, if it isn't raining. Anyone on here going out?

There may be a few. I'll be out of town.
Mia alliance only a monthly ordeal?

Hockeyman
09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Alliance is about twice a year, held at Top Speed Pro 1 in Addison.

You ever see a two toned SC cobalt, black on top red on bottom, would be a good run between you two. He's pushing 384whp and gets me by a few cars.