PDA

View Full Version : After-cat H/X pipe

txminime
09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
I've search on this but can't find any definite answer.

Have anyone dyno'ed their after-cat H/X pipe and see how it compares with Off-Road X/H pipe? I'm pretty sure off-road pipes will make more power, but I'm curious if the factory cats is really *that* restrictive...

I'm considering adding an Off Road X Pipe before taking the car over to TS for a dyno tune. But even without a CEL, I'm sure the exhaust note and stinky exhaust is enough to make a safety inspector look under the car for cats. I know it's just an hour or so to swap the OEM pipes back, but my experience with Fox/SN-95 exhaust is that eventually I'm going to ends up chasing exhaust leaks and rattles if I keep R&R'ing the pipes and I'm just getting too old for that now... :)

ochoblanco
09-13-2013, 12:08 AM
My suggestion then would be to look for an "after cat" aftermarket X/H that has "cat delete" pipes as well. Give you easy swap ability when inspection rolls around without having to keep the cumbersome OEM midpipe laying around.

ochoblanco
09-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Something like this: http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-offroad-highflow-xpipe-2011gt.html?utm_content=GSBasicFitmentV1&utm_campaign=51770398642-avshop&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=&adpos=1o1&network=g&AMID=jba-offroad-highflow-xpipe-2011gt-GSBasicFitmentV1&year=2013&adtype=pla

DirtyD
09-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Retaining your cats will not gain any power, but you will probably get a sound change from doing a bigger diameter pipe.

Deleting the cats and tuning is where the power comes from.

re-rx7
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Or you could get high flow catted x.

txminime
09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Have anyone seen any dyno numbers for hi-flow catted H/X pipe? Just wondering if there are enough performance gain to justify their price...

re-rx7
09-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Usually its about 5-7 less hp then the OR pipes from what ives seen. I like RebelRacers setup. Longtubes with catted H I believe.

txminime
09-13-2013, 11:50 AM
On second thought, I'm wondering why I have not seen any manufacturers selling off road H/X pipes with fake catalyst converters. For off-road use only, of course... :-)

DirtyD
09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
On second thought, I'm wondering why I have not seen any manufacturers selling off road H/X pipes with fake catalyst converters. For off-road use only, of course... :-)
Because that would cause them to use more steel and would cost you more to buy since it's more material and design...

txminime
09-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm sure a set of "faux" catted X-Pipe is going to cost more than off road pipes. My goal is to avoid having to R&R the mid-pipe once a year at inspection time.

If hi-flow catted pipes are losing almost 30%, it's really not worth $500+ for ~10 HP gain just to stay inspection legal.

With the fake catalyst converters and a tune to keep the car from tripping OBD code, I should be able to pass inspection *and* maximize HP gain. Just seems to be a huge waste to buy a new catted X pipe and guts it...

DirtyD
09-14-2013, 01:14 PM
If you have someone that can fabricate, you can always have them basically weld a canister around the cat delete section. Lol

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm sure a set of "faux" catted X-Pipe is going to cost more than off road pipes. My goal is to avoid having to R&R the mid-pipe once a year at inspection time.

If hi-flow catted pipes are losing almost 30%, it's really not worth $500+ for ~10 HP gain just to stay inspection legal.

With the fake catalyst converters and a tune to keep the car from tripping OBD code, I should be able to pass inspection *and* maximize HP gain. Just seems to be a huge waste to buy a new catted X pipe and guts it...
Jesus you are making this complicated. Your not gna feel 5-7hp difference. The catted X will work just fine. You gta pay to play. You want more power then be prepared to put some effort into it. Saying your to lazy once a yr to take off a pipe is just sad.

txminime
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM
If you have someone that can fabricate, you can always have them basically weld a canister around the cat delete section. Lol

I used to have a friend with a muffler shop in Lawton who can do that blind folded. Unfortunately, they closed the shop a few years ago... I guess I should try to find a "understanding" shop to do some TIG welding... :)

txminime
09-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Jesus you are making this complicated. Your not gna feel 5-7hp difference. The catted X will work just fine. You gta pay to play. You want more power then be prepared to put some effort into it. Saying your to lazy once a yr to take off a pipe is just sad.

It's not about being lazy. it's the PITA factor of dealing with exhaust leaks, rusted/seized hardware, sloppy fitting flange, etc.

OTOH, you are probably right that 5/6 HP isn't noticeable.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Honestly go with whatever set up you can financially afford. As far as state inspections go. I'm a state inspector and as I've mentioned before in the same topic 9 out of 10 inspectors are generally younger aged and wouldn't know a cat from an air filter. people bring their cars in all day at my dealership for states and I've yet to see one of them actually do their job and look under the hood or under the car. Half of them dont even check your wiper blades. On top of that most techs dont fail cars on states because they have to tell the service advisors who have to tell you it didn't pass and they dont want to so they tell the tech to pass the car and they work it out later. Just a little insight.