PDA

View Full Version : Ring and pinion being replaced....again.

Brn N Rubr
09-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Finally got the chance to take the car back to the dealer today (see sig for details). Previously the car has had the tranny out twice (5th gear synchros first time and and input shaft bearing the second) and the ring and pinion (turned out it had a chipper tooth) replaced once. It started making noise again. Here's a close representation of how the conversation went with the service advisor (dropped the car off at 1130 and called them at 1600):

Me: Just checking to see if the tech had a chance to listen to the rear end.
SA: Yes, he did. He heard some noise, but doesn't think it's coming from the rear end. You have a shift kit on it right? (That part is verbatim and in reference to my Barton shifter)
Me: I do, and there is some NVH coming from there, but there is definitely a noise coming from the rear. I'll gladly come up there and drive the car with a tch if you'd like.
SA: Well, let me talk to the tech a little more and see what he says.

30 minutes later my phone rings...

SA: Uh, we figured out what's wrong and need to order parts. You can come pick it up now and the parts will be here Monday.
Me: What did he find?
SA: We're just going to replace the ring and pinion, there's definitely a noise coming from back there.
Me: Okay, great. Thank you. See you soon.

So, glad they didn't give me too much grief and happy my car will be quiet again. Woot.

DirtyD
09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
A shift kit. Lol

Glad they didn't try and beat around the bush, but sucks you have to get work done again.

KungFuHamster
09-13-2013, 04:00 PM
at least he didn't blame the torque converter. lol

2012mustang76123
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM
you get a lemon?

brembo12
09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Finally got the chance to take the car back to the dealer today (see sig for details). Previously the car has had the tranny out twice (5th gear synchros first time and and input shaft bearing the second) and the ring and pinion (turned out it had a chipper tooth) replaced once. It started making noise again. Here's a close representation of how the conversation went with the service advisor (dropped the car off at 1130 and called them at 1600):

Me: Just checking to see if the tech had a chance to listen to the rear end.
SA: Yes, he did. He heard some noise, but doesn't think it's coming from the rear end. You have a shift kit on it right? (That part is verbatim and in reference to my Barton shifter)
Me: I do, and there is some NVH coming from there, but there is definitely a noise coming from the rear. I'll gladly come up there and drive the car with a tch if you'd like.
SA: Well, let me talk to the tech a little more and see what he says.

30 minutes later my phone rings...

SA: Uh, we figured out what's wrong and need to order parts. You can come pick it up now and the parts will be here Monday.
Me: What did he find?
SA: We're just going to replace the ring and pinion, there's definitely a noise coming from back there.
Me: Okay, great. Thank you. See you soon.

So, glad they didn't give me too much grief and happy my car will be quiet again. Woot.

this MT82 that I have sounds like a bucket full of marbles (MGW shifter)......5th gear is quiet.....can you spell "TREMEC" :hat: coming soon to a 5.0 in your vicinity.....

Brn N Rubr
09-15-2013, 08:07 AM
this MT82 that I have sounds like a bucket full of marbles (MGW shifter)......5th gear is quiet.....can you spell "TREMEC" :hat: coming soon to a 5.0 in your vicinity.....

I wish......