PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Jet Intake and Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body has been ordered!

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Cobra Jet Intake and Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body and (soon to be released) FRPP Cobra Jet CAI has been ordered! Woohoo! Thank you Tousley Ford for the great prices! Pics are linked below. The last pic is of the CAI in Kdanner's engine bay.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/M-9424-M50CJ.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/M-9926-SCJ.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/krisenginebay.jpg

:grd:

wbt
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Cobra Jet Intake and Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body and (soon to be released) FRPP Cobra Jet CAI has been ordered! Woohoo! Thank you Tousley Ford for the great prices! Pics are linked below. The last pic is of the CAI in Kdanner's engine bay.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/M-9424-M50CJ.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/M-9926-SCJ.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2771/krisenginebay.jpg

:grd:

I didn't realize you could pre-order the CAI tube. Do you have the price by chance?

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Steve from Tousley made a quick phone call to FRPP and was able to put the package together. Not sure if it is really preordered but it came off my debit card already :) It was $273 from Tousley

wbt
09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Steve from Tousley made a quick phone call to FRPP and was able to put the package together. Not sure if it is really preordered but it came off my debit card already :) It was $273 from Tousley

Thanks. I may give him a ring and see if that is for the tube and airbox assembly or just the tube. I don't really need the whole kit since the airbox is an Airaid piece.

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Let me know what he says as I assumed it was the kit

Grandpa
09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I see on SVTP this is the new fad mod for the moment. lol

03MachMe
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
sweet should be some BOSS intakes up for sale soon then lol

Grandpa
09-12-2013, 05:43 PM

I'm sure there will be a lot of them for sale soon at some reasonable prices.

Dominic Toretto
09-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Oh no you di int!

-Alex

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Have a Boss intake, Boss fuel rail covers, BBK 85tb, C&L cai, Boss strut tower brace all for sale now! PM me for pricing!

:eek:

blownaltered
09-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Have a Boss intake, Boss fuel rail covers, BBK 85tb, C&L cai, Boss strut tower brace all for sale now! PM me for pricing!

So your spending all that money to replace that for maybe 5 to 10 hp and maybe a few tenths of a second. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I would have saved that money and put it towards spray or boost personally.

Grandpa
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
So your spending all that money to replace that for maybe 5 to 10 hp and maybe a few tenths of a second. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I would have saved that money and put it towards spray or boost personally.

Brent is a hardcore track guy so it's worth it to him for a tenth or two. I think he's a hardcore NA guy too.

I'm not bothering with a CJ or Boss intake. I'm going to do it the easy way with boost eventually.

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
People are seeing 20-40 HP and that IS attractive to me for $500 upgrade charge

DirtyD
09-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Are you going to be spinning it to the same RPM as the boss? Did you ever upgrade the valve train?

03MachMe
09-12-2013, 07:11 PM
have a boss intake, boss fuel rail covers, bbk 85tb, c&l cai, boss strut tower brace all for sale now! Pm me for pricing!

dibs!!!

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Already shift at 7750 for 36,000 miles and 180 passes so no changes for me until I upgrade the springs

BLK2012GT
09-12-2013, 08:06 PM

Over the boss?

Yagermeister
09-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes look around...Boss cars hover in the 420-430 range and CJ intake cars are 450-490 depending on fuel and throttle body and cai choice

Dominic Toretto
09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes look around...Boss cars hover in the 420-430 range and CJ intake cars are 450-490 depending on fuel and throttle body and cai choice

I knew this mod had to have some merit.

-Alex

DirtyD
09-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Already shift at 7750 for 36,000 miles and 180 passes so no changes for me until I upgrade the springs

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I didn't remember you doing any valve train upgrades, but just asking anyways. It's going to be sweet.

Midnight11
09-13-2013, 10:38 AM
brent is my hero

Yagermeister
09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I didn't remember you doing any valve train upgrades, but just asking anyways. It's going to be sweet.

Cant wait Derek!

brent is my hero

Awww Nic...when I get rich I'll be your rich uncle in law three times removed

TrueStreetTim
09-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Haven't had the plenum in our hands yet (or one on our dyno), what's the reported torque losses coming out to?

DirtyD
09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Haven't had the plenum in our hands yet (or one on our dyno), what's the reported torque losses coming out to?
From what I think I remember seeing on SVTP, TQ losses are around the same as the Boss....I'll have to go back and find it....but I don't feel like it. :lol:

TrueStreetTim
09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
From what I think I remember seeing on SVTP, TQ losses are around the same as the Boss....I'll have to go back and find it....but I don't feel like it. :lol:

Damn you, D!

I'm assuming torque losses beyond that of a BOSS? Basically an overgrown BOSS that picks up peak but drops TQ only more in both directions?

Grandpa
09-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Damn you, D!

I'm assuming torque losses beyond that of a BOSS? Basically an overgrown BOSS that picks up peak but drops TQ only more in both directions?

Pretty much. There is no way it makes the power that Brent thinks it does. 50hp over what a Boss does? He's trying to say people are picking up 70hp with just an intake change in a NA platform. LOL, no way.

Only a turbo car will truly be able to benefit from the CJ intake.

DirtyD
09-13-2013, 01:28 PM
From what I understood, the intake only really picked up more power when spinning to the motor up to the 8100 mark like the CJ motor...which obviously can't be done on a stock GT.

BLK2012GT
09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Pretty much. There is no way it makes the power that Brent thinks it does. 50hp over what a Boss does? He's trying to say people are picking up 70hp with just an intake change in a NA platform. LOL, no way.

Only a turbo car will truly be able to benefit from the CJ intake.

Yeah I was going to say that but I didn't want to start shit cause I know how sensitive people are when I disagree with them.

Yagermeister
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
All the cars that have this intake are in the 450-490 range SAE with full boltons some with e85 some with 91/93. You pickup HP and TQ across the board and lose no more TQ than what the Boss already lost. The key is NOT the intake but rather the throttle body choice and the cold air tube and MAF...I chose the largest of both ;)

Grandpa
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
All the cars that have this intake are in the 450-490 range SAE with full boltons some with e85 some with 91/93. You pickup HP and TQ across the board and lose no more TQ than what the Boss already lost. The key is NOT the intake but rather the throttle body choice and the cold air tube and MAF...I chose the largest of both ;)

I'm interested in seeing your results. That kind of power with bolt ons and a stock longblock would be impressive. The problem with it is having to rev the hell out of the stock valvetrain. In a couple more years I bet we start seeing a lot of cars running the Boss intakes spinning them in the upper 7k range starting to have valve/springs issues.

Yagermeister
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Shifting the Boss at 7750 right now and plan on staying there until the winter when I do the crank trigger wheel, Boss springs and tensioners, and the 11mm/290° Cobra Jet exhaust cams...then I'll go to 8000

DirtyD
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm interested in seeing your results. That kind of power with bolt ons and a stock longblock would be impressive. The problem with it is having to rev the hell out of the stock valvetrain. In a couple more years I bet we start seeing a lot of cars running the Boss intakes spinning them in the upper 7k range starting to have valve/springs issues.

Shifting the Boss at 7750 right now and plan on staying there until the winter when I do the crank trigger wheel, Boss springs and tensioners, and the 11mm/290° Cobra Jet exhaust cams...then I'll go to 8000

Yeah, I would just wait and do all that at once just to avoid any potential headaches.

re-rx7
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM

I agree.

Yagermeister
09-13-2013, 02:38 PM
People are not having any headaches shifting at 7750 and are making the numbers mentioned without having to spin it higher right now so I'll be happy for awhile

Grandpa
09-13-2013, 02:55 PM
People are not having any headaches shifting at 7750 and are making the numbers mentioned without having to spin it higher right now so I'll be happy for awhile

Stock longblock including cams/valvetrain, stock heads, through an auto making 490rw? LOL, you're asking an aweful lot of that lil smallblock and expecting to it live.

Yagermeister
09-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Steve I said 450-490 depending on choices of parts and fuels. I never said I will get 490. If I get 450 on 93 I'll be happy...however...my car will not see a dyno so we won't know numbers but we will see track times...shooting for 10's in cool and warm weather like wbt

:beers:

KalEl370
09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Steve I said 450-490 depending on choices of parts and fuels. I never said I will get 490. If I get 450 on 93 I'll be happy...however...my car will not see a dyno so we won't know numbers but we will see track times...shooting for 10's in cool and warm weather like wbt

:beers:

I'm interested to see how it turns out for you. I might do this early next year. I have the pulse ring, upgraded valvetrain, built motor with billet gears and stage 3 cams. I haven't had mine on the dyno yet but hopefully will be attending the dyno day at TS. Keep ua posted!

Dan12GT
09-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I've heard the CJ manifold picks up more power earlier than the boss maybe a 1000 rpm difference? Not sure if that power is more than stock at 4500-5500 but the losses are less in that range than t he boss manifold and it has more potential for peak horse power due to revving super high.

wbt
09-14-2013, 03:25 AM

You won't get 8K out of the auto processor. The only way you are going to get there is with a non-computer controlled auto and a Boss processor.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 09:21 AM
For a test, a tuner gave me a tune last year that had some special work done that let the auto shift at 8100 but I felt valve float or the car missing due to no trigger wheel. After three passes we took it off my car...so it is possible but not recommended until the trigger wheel and valvesprings are upgraded.

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I will never understand why some people feel the need to spin a stock motor out of its effiency range when there is so little power to be found there and ends up doing more damage than anything else.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 09:58 AM
With the exception of rods and pistons along with heads that flow only marginally better, our GT engines with a Boss intake are NEARLY identical to that of a Boss engine. The Boss 302S and 302R teams spin it that high for hours on end. For a quick 10-11 seconds we are good. Those race teams must not know what they are doing spinning it that high :p

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:04 AM
The Boss intake changes where the GT motor is efficient by moving the powerband higher. The CJ does the same but even higher than the Boss

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 10:24 AM
With the exception of rods and pistons along with heads that flow only marginally better, our GT engines with a Boss intake are NEARLY identical to that of a Boss engine. The Boss 302S and 302R teams spin it that high for hours on end. For a quick 10-11 seconds we are good. Those race teams must not know what they are doing spinning it that high :p
Rods and pistons can have a big affect on Rpms espeically if the weight is different.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:31 AM
re-rx7, you are correct but have you seen the Boss rods and pistons? They look and are nearly identical to a GTs except for the process in which they are made. They are also nearly the same weight so I don't think that argument can be used here...but I've been wrong before as my wife tells me :)

Midnight11
09-14-2013, 10:38 AM
brent, i look forward to your results. will you be going back to e85 too?

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 10:42 AM
re-rx7, you are correct but have you seen the Boss rods and pistons? They look and are nearly identical to a GTs except for the process in which they are made. They are also nearly the same weight so I don't think that argument can be used here...but I've been wrong before as my wife tells me :)

Id like to see the weights of both. With gd tuning I believe the bearing in the Coyote are up to the challenge however, detonation or crap timing would probally shorten their life alot. The CJ MAni looks awesom and Im looking forward to the results.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:52 AM
I will be using e85 since it is a terrible fuel...with an intake that won't work...with valvetrain that can't handle it...with a gutted car...tuned by someone who can't tune (me)...with an auto because it is sooooo much easier than a stick...with drag radials that can't hook...with advancetrac turned on and limp mode enabled...all while running out of MAF.

Some of you guys must think I don't do research and just throw parts at the car. I have friends across the whole industry from when I used to have a race shop with a Dynojet up in Detroit. I read and talk to a lot of people before I buy or implement something. 36,000 miles and over 180 passes all while being the fastest stock converter bolton car in the country...I have no secrets and am willing to help everyone...just ask.

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I will be using e85 since it is a terrible fuel...with an intake that won't work...with valvetrain that can't handle it...with a gutted car...tuned by someone who can't tune (me)...with an auto because it is sooooo much easier than a stick...with drag radials that can't hook...with advancetrac turned on and limp mode enabled...all while running out of MAF.

Some of you guys must think I don't do research and just throw parts at the car. I have friends across the whole industry from when I used to have a race shop with a Dynojet up in Detroit. I read and talk to a lot of people before I buy or implement something. 36,000 miles and over 180 passes all while being the fastest stock converter bolton car in the country...I have no secrets and am willing to help everyone...just ask.

Can I borrow some money?:head3: LOL

Id like to know where the stock Ecu in the 5.0 reaches it limits. When I had an Evo it was around 600whp or so before the Ecu just could not control the amount of CFM accurate. That being said before going Map alot of us were geting 550 on the stock maf.

BLK2012GT
09-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh and it's a lease FTW!!!!!!!!

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Because its a lease I have money for car parts :) Its just like renting a house

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Id like to see the weights of both. With gd tuning I believe the bearing in the Coyote are up to the challenge however, detonation or crap timing would probally shorten their life alot. The CJ MAni looks awesom and Im looking forward to the results.

The Boss and GT have the exact same forged crank and bearings :)

BLK2012GT
09-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Because its a lease I have money for car parts :) Its just like renting a house

Lol you're funny.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 11:01 AM
So are you :)

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 11:09 AM
The Boss and GT have the exact same forged crank and bearings :)

I classify the gt and the boss 302 as the coyote. :nutkick:

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 11:11 AM
So do I and that's why I have the thoughts I do regarding what my motor can and can't do

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 11:16 AM
So do I and that's why I have the thoughts I do regarding what my motor can and can't do

Id like to know where the stock Ecu in the 5.0 reaches it limits. When I had an Evo it was around 600whp or so before the Ecu just could not control the amount of CFM accurate. That being said before going Map alot of us were geting 550 on the stock maf.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 11:19 AM

So far from what I have heard is that it has not been a limit of horsepower but rather of cracking the ecu code to release more rpm. I don't know the MAF limit. Kevin Dunn can speak more on that

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 11:20 AM
So far from what I have heard is that it has not been a limit of horsepower but rather of cracking the ecu code to release more rpm

So the tables allow for pretty much unlimited Cfm and rpm? Whats the limit of the stock maf?

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 11:24 AM
No, rpm right now is capped around 7800 in a GT processor. With some secrets I have tested a special tune from a tuner that got my car to shift at 8100. The Boss processor should be able to...kdanner with his Boss engine GT can chat more on this topic...cfm not capped in ecu.

DirtyD
09-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Brent, I don't doubt you do your research. You and Steve are probably the two that research stuff on end before making decisions like this. I was just saying if it were me, if just wait and do everything at once as a fail safe. That's the engineer in me. Remove all variables that may affect the outcome.

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 11:40 AM
No, rpm right now is capped around 7800 in a GT processor. With some secrets I have tested a special tune from a tuner that got my car to shift at 8100. The Boss processor should be able to...kdanner with his Boss engine GT can chat more on this topic...cfm not capped in ecu.

Very interesting. SO the stock Maf can in fact handle quite a bit.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Brent, I don't doubt you do your research. You and Steve are probably the two that research stuff on end before making decisions like this. I was just saying if it were me, if just wait and do everything at once as a fail safe. That's the engineer in me. Remove all variables that may affect the outcome.

No worries Derek...to each his own

Very interesting. SO the stock Maf can in fact handle quite a bit.

Yes indeed...I don't know the limit but ask Kevin Dunn

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 12:01 PM
No worries Derek...to each his own

Yes indeed...I don't know the limit but ask Kevin Dunn

Idk know him

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Kevin Dunn is 04sleeper on here :)

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Yes, Brent and I are both information whores, we just have a different way of going about things and that is not to say his or my way is the right or wrong way, I'm just saying different. That is mostly due to us both having different goals in mind for our cars. Brent has a goal in mind for his NA applications. Putting those self imposed parameters on himself an what he would like to achieve kind of forces him to go to these extremes to achieve his goal.

I as well enjoy learning and doing as much research a possible to make the most of my combo as well. I'm about to get started on the goal for my car here before long. Kevin being one of my best buds has taught me a lot and I bend his ear quite often.

I think Brent and I are going to the basic same place, just taking means to get there. The important thing is that we both learn as much as possible to obtain our goals and have a lot of fun in the process.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 03:26 PM
^^^^^What this guy said!

wbt
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM
For a test, a tuner gave me a tune last year that had some special work done that let the auto shift at 8100 but I felt valve float or the car missing due to no trigger wheel. After three passes we took it off my car...so it is possible but not recommended until the trigger wheel and valvesprings are upgraded.

Call me a skeptic but I would like to see that data log.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Steve on this one. I spoke with Brent just yesterday at the Coit meet but like Steve said they both have different plans for their cars. I personally can't wait to see your results Brent but like Steve, I just can't imagine spinning these motors that high. I'm a die hard ford guy and work in the shop at a ford dealership and have yet to see a 5.0 fail for any other reason other than cyl. 8 burn up due to improper tuning. I'm wanting to do full bolt-ons to my car. Longtubes,o/r/x cat delete, axlebacks,cai/tune,throttle body and I'm wanting and praying to be around the 420-425 range little less than those with the boss manifolds but retain my tq that the boss' lose. And than plan to go with a turbo set up. I'm just in the debate with the help of Tim from TS as to what size headers I should be running right now because the turbo set up will prob be 1 1/2 -2 years down the road.

wbt
09-14-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Steve on this one. I spoke with Brent just yesterday at the Coit meet but like Steve said they both have different plans for their cars. I personally can't wait to see your results Brent but like Steve, I just can't imagine spinning these motors that high. I'm a die hard ford guy and work in the shop at a ford dealership and have yet to see a 5.0 fail for any other reason other than cyl. 8 burn up due to improper tuning. I'm wanting to do full bolt-ons to my car. Longtubes,o/r/x cat delete, axlebacks,cai/tune,throttle body and I'm wanting and praying to be around the 420-425 range little less than those with the boss manifolds but retain my tq that the boss' lose. And than plan to go with a turbo set up. I'm just in the debate with the help of Tim from TS as to what size headers I should be running right now because the turbo set up will prob be 1 1/2 -2 years down the road.

I have been shifting these cars at 7,600+ for several years without a single issue. IMO that speaks volumes as to reliability. Nothing is ever 100% but I am willing to take my chances.

Regarding headers, Pypes is where you want to be. ;)

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I have been shifting these cars at 7,600+ for several years without a single issue. IMO that speaks volumes as to reliability. Nothing is ever 100% but I am willing to take my chances.

Regarding headers, Pypes is where you want to be. ;)

I agree with you. Like I said havn't seen these motors fail but that doesn't mean it wont lol. IMO they can handle it. They can take one hell of a beating no doubt, but for those who really know me would be the first to tell you I've got some of the worst luck out there, so I personally won't push it beyond 7k which is my shift point. As far as Pypes, why pypes if you dont mind me asking, just wanting your insight and any info i can get from you, thanks.

TrueStreetTim
09-14-2013, 05:36 PM
I agree with you. Like I said havn't seen these motors fail but that doesn't mean it wont lol. IMO they can handle it. They can take one hell of a beating no doubt, but for those who really know me would be the first to tell you I've got some of the worst luck out there, so I personally won't push it beyond 7k which is my shift point. As far as Pypes, why pypes if you dont mind me asking, just wanting your insight and any info i can get from you, thanks.

Yea, It depends on where the car stops making power. If the Dyno shows the power to start downward at 7, 7.2....8k or wherever; the car isn't going to magically make more by spinning past that point....it's done. Though it will be different for each car per the mods etc.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I seriously wish I had them but the tuner made me delete everything and return to stock at the time...the sct tune file and all datalogs had to be deleted and he did so via gotomeeting. Even though I have never met you please trust me this truly did happen as it scared me to feel what I thought was valve float knowing my motor could have gone at any moment.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 05:44 PM
JPC Racing 1 3/4" longtubes here :)

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm just not sure what size headers I should run. Again will be N/A for awhile so I dont mind "wasting" the money for now for the right size headers and than sell them and go bigger. But would I make more power with the larger diam. while being n/a or would it just be overkill.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 05:58 PM
If N/A 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 will be fine. Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:20 PM
If N/A 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 will be fine. Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a

Well that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So because I plan to go turbo in a year or so but will be n/a for now the 1 7/8 won't be over kill or cost me any power loss? as the 1 3/4 would be great for N/A regardless.

TrueStreetTim
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm just not sure what size headers I should run. Again will be N/A for awhile so I dont mind "wasting" the money for now for the right size headers and than sell them and go bigger. But would I make more power with the larger diam. while being n/a or would it just be overkill.

Both headers on a N/A setup will make similar peak HP. Difference is; the smaller header diameter will make torque, and more of it, sooner and more than likely more peak torque.

Headers are efficient until they become a restriction. In the case of a N/A, 302ci motor a 1-7/8 header is overkill and can therefore benefit with the increase in torque you find in a smaller design. A 370ci motor (LS3 etc) or a boosted 302.... 1-7/8 all day.

Personally 1 7/8 is great for blown applications and 1 3/4 for 302 cubic in n/a

This^

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Both headers on a N/A setup will make similar peak HP. Difference is; the smaller header diameter will make torque, and more of it, sooner and more than likely more peak torque.

Headers are efficient until they become a restriction. In the case of a N/A, 302ci motor a 1-7/8 header is overkill and can therefore benefit with the increase in torque you find in a smaller design. A 370ci motor (LS3 etc) or a boosted 302.... 1-7/8 all day.

This^

as the smaller diameter will make more tq, how much more are we talking about? I'm just shooting for 420-425ish hp and as close to possible tq to that horsepower. In a perfect world i'd like 420-425hp and 395-405tq

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the answers and time. sorry if i'm confusing/bugging the hell out of u or just thinking way too much about the topic, just wanted opinions from people with more experiences on the topic and who've seen the setups.

wbt
09-14-2013, 06:28 PM

1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.

TrueStreetTim
09-14-2013, 06:30 PM
how much more are we talking about?

Sounds like we will all find out soon. :D

Thanks guys for all the answers and time. sorry if i'm confusing/bugging the hell out of u or just thinking way too much about the topic, just wanted opinions from people with more experiences on the topic and who've seen the setups.

DFW50's always delivers. :happy107:

downtime!
09-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Well that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So because I plan to go turbo in a year or so but will be n/a for now the 1 7/8 won't be over kill or cost me any power loss? as the 1 3/4 would be great for N/A regardless.So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.

That's man, something I just may have to consider looking into :)

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 06:48 PM
So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.

Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i can

downtime!
09-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i canI understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
I understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!

haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol

downtime!
09-14-2013, 07:54 PM
haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol
Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.

falling back onto that goal again. 420-425ish hp and as much tq to that as possible. just want a fun street car that I can lay into and have a blast with the few trips out to the track. wheels/tire/driveshaft first though.

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't think Oxford seems to understand you don't use your standard headers for a turbo application rather than using turbo headers that are meant for the kit.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't think Oxford seems to understand you don't use your standard headers for a turbo application rather than using turbo headers that are meant for the kit.

I understand that. I'm just saying if/when i buy headers once/if i go turbo they're now pointless to me. I thought I said that before no?

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I understand that. I'm just saying if/when i buy headers once/if i go turbo they're now pointless to me. I thought I said that before no?

Ok, just wanted to be clear. If a kit is still awhile off for you, then I see no problem getting another set of headers for your NA set up. You can find lots of people selling some used headers in nice condition for a reasonable price and run them until you switch.

I can understand why some might think that buying some longtubes may not worth the money for them if all they care about is just making more power. But you get more than more power, you also get a nice deeper tone in your exhaust note and pick a few top end MPH as well.

Is 10-15hp worth it? Maybe, maybe not. That's up to you and what is important to YOU.

downtime!
09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
falling back onto that goal again. 420-425ish hp and as much tq to that as possible. just want a fun street car that I can lay into and have a blast with the few trips out to the track. wheels/tire/driveshaft first though.My car made more than that with the stock headers.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Exactly what I plan to do. I'll buy used if I have cash on hand.. generally I let my credit tale care of the goodies lol

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:38 PM
My car made more than that with the stock headers.

Hmm that's interesting. A freak? Lol

downtime!
09-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Not at all. Plenty of cars out there making more than mine did before the blower. 435 with stock exhaust, long tubes were worth exactly 10 on my car. If I wouldn't have gotten a sweet deal on them, they would never have made their way on to the car.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Jalal I believe Johnathan has his custom headers for sale :)

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah I saw that lol. Just $ seems to always be tight with me. Like I told Steve my credit normally buys the goodies and get paid off that way

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Not at all. Plenty of cars out there making more than mine did before the blower. 435 with stock exhaust, long tubes were worth exactly 10 on my car. If I wouldn't have gotten a sweet deal on them, they would never have made their way on to the car.

U dynoed 435 with just a tune? U say stock exhaust.. not much left to bolt on

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM

My car makes 416rw with nothing more than an H pipe and a tune.

re-rx7
09-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Generous dyno.

downtime!
09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
U dynoed 435 with just a tune? U say stock exhaust.. not much left to bolt onJLT CAI, and Pypes muffler deletes are all I had on the car at the time. For the record, the car made 415 in that configuration and running the VMP canned tune. The custom tune brought it up to 435.

Yagermeister
09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Downtime good numbers! Were your numbers SAE or STD?

downtime!
09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Downtime good numbers! Were your numbers SAE or STD?SAE on Gearheads old dyno (or the original dyno, hell, the new one may be old too!).

downtime!
09-14-2013, 10:43 PM
And just for the record, for all you guys thinking about a blower of some sort, my car in N/A form was an absolute blast to drive everyday. Even with my bad shoulder, it could rip off mid 11's (my best was 11.60 at 119). You could jump in, twist the key and go anywhere at anytime. Blown cars can still do that, to an extent, but it's still not the same. Much more of an "effort" to road trip a blown car.

Grandpa
09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
And just for the record, for all you guys thinking about a blower of some sort, my car in N/A form was an absolute blast to drive everyday. Even with my bad shoulder, it could rip off mid 11's (my best was 11.60 at 119). You could jump in, twist the key and go anywhere at anytime. Blown cars can still do that, to an extent, but it's still not the same. Much more of an "effort" to road trip a blown car.

How so? I've had several blown cars and it's no different with a blown car than a NA car unless your foot in is the boost the whole way. If you have a good tune, it should drive like stock on a roadtrip.

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Downtime those are impressive numbers. Thatd be like me get a custom tune and dyno out 420. That'd be 20hp loss than someone with boss Mani and full bolt ons. How does this shit even make sense I wonder to myself sometimes LOL

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 11:20 PM
My car makes 416rw with nothing more than an H pipe and a tune.

We need to run lol I'm just cai/tune

downtime!
09-15-2013, 12:39 AM
How so? I've had several blown cars and it's no different with a blown car than a NA car unless your foot in is the boost the whole way. If you have a good tune, it should drive like stock on a roadtrip.Much more likely to break something with the extra strains put on the mechanicals. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to road trip a blown car, you just have to be a little more careful with things, especially past a certain power level.

I guess what I was really trying to get across is that the magazines these days make it seem like every Stang you see has a blower, and if you don't have one, you're just not cool. That is total bullshit, these cars are a freakin' blast to drive N/A, so don't think you have to have some form of forced induction to be "in".

downtime!
09-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Downtime those are impressive numbers. Thatd be like me get a custom tune and dyno out 420. That'd be 20hp loss than someone with boss Mani and full bolt ons. How does this shit even make sense I wonder to myself sometimes LOLWhat I'm saying is, numbers don't mean anything (other than showing a quantifiable outcome to modifications performed). 420 is nothing to scoff at, and with a little practice and some sticky tires, will run middle 11's all day long. You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 12:59 AM
What I'm saying is, numbers don't mean anything (other than showing a quantifiable outcome to modifications performed). 420 is nothing to scoff at, and with a little practice and some sticky tires, will run middle 11's all day long. You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

Definetly the only thing that matters is track times. I've managed to get the stock 235s to run 2.0 60' now lol ran 8.4s spinning 1-3

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 10:08 AM
You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

You mean anything short of a Corvette right?

-Alex

re-rx7
09-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Definetly the only thing that matters is track times. I've managed to get the stock 235s to run 2.0 60' now lol ran 8.4s spinning 1-3
Close to my times, I ran a 8.1 or something my last time out a few months back.

-Alex

Ive ran c5 Zo6 vettes and pulled.

downtime!
09-15-2013, 12:17 PM

-AlexNope. Rule out some Z06's and the odd ZR1, if you ever happen to run across one, but run of the mill Z51 cars are no problem. The key is, all (OK, most) Vette drivers like to roll race, and for some reason, they always want to go pretty high, like from 55 or 60. That allowed me to grab 3rd and be right in the meat of the powerband. There is nothing like tromping a plastic fantastic driver in your big, heavy Mustang. They all beat on the steering wheel in exactly the same way. There must be a class they have to take on that!

downtime!
09-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Definetly the only thing that matters is track times. I've managed to get the stock 235s to run 2.0 60' now lol ran 8.4s spinning 1-3Yep, we got to get you some DR's!

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Nope. Rule out some Z06's and the odd ZR1, if you ever happen to run across one, but run of the mill Z51 cars are no problem. The key is, all (OK, most) Vette drivers like to roll race, and for some reason, they always want to go pretty high, like from 55 or 60. That allowed me to grab 3rd and be right in the meat of the powerband. There is nothing like tromping a plastic fantastic driver in your big, heavy Mustang. They all beat on the steering wheel in exactly the same way. There must be a class they have to take on that!

Ah I forgot your car is s/ced, that makes then.

-Alex

03MachMe
09-15-2013, 12:50 PM

-Alex

he was talking about when he was N/A.

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 12:57 PM
he was talking about when he was N/A.

Interesting.

-Alex

03MachMe
09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Interesting.

-Alex

Like he was saying as long as its not a C6 Z06 or ZR1 a bolt on 5.0 can hold its own

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Like he was saying as long as its not a C6 Z06 or ZR1 a bolt on 5.0 can hold its own

Completely agree. I've had the opportunity to run a c6 Z from a 40 in second I pulled on the punch until I hit third than he said bye bye lol. other than that .... a badass pontiac G8 thats it.

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 02:38 PM
other than that .... a badass pontiac G8 thats it.

ROFL, so that makes a Mustang what? A badass Ford Fiesta.

-Alex

Rebelracer568
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I cant get a c6 to play with me :(

re-rx7
09-15-2013, 04:01 PM

same problem.

downtime!
09-15-2013, 04:17 PM

-Alex
I did this when it was N/A. Now that it's blown, Z06's are fair game too. When the built engine goes in, ZR1's won't be shit either.

Grandpa
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I did this when it was N/A. Now that it's blown, Z06's are fair game too. When the built engine goes in, ZR1's won't be shit either.

Lmao!!!

46Tbird
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM

Most of the blown 5.0s have spent WAY more time in a shop than on road trips, lol.

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Yeah man I was surprised when he went for it. Matter of fact he started it lol. And well finished it.

ROFL, so that makes a Mustang what? A badass Ford Fiesta.

-Alex

Damn you and your negativity lol

Most of the blown 5.0s have spent WAY more time in a shop than on road trips, lol.

Haha, this is so true.

kdanner
09-15-2013, 05:25 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that.

downtime!
09-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Most of the blown 5.0s have spent WAY more time in a shop than on road trips, lol.LOL! I resemble that comment! After seeing the times WBT and KDANNER are running, I might just put the KB up for sale and rejoin the N/A ranks.

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Damn you and your negativity lol

No negativity, I drive a hopped up Fiesta myself :)

-Alex

downtime!
09-15-2013, 05:54 PM
In all fairness to HPP, mine ran nearly flawlessly from December to May of this year. What changed in the tune after that is anyones guess, but it changed dramatically. Wouldn't idle steady, had a miss running down the road at steady rpms, died at redlights. Hopefully, GH got all that mess worked out, will find out this week.

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 05:54 PM
LOL! I resemble that comment! After seeing the times WBT and KDANNER are running, I might just put the KB up for sale and rejoin the N/A ranks.

I prefer NA cars myself.

-Alex

wbt
09-15-2013, 05:55 PM
LOL! I resemble that comment! After seeing the times WBT and KDANNER are running, I might just put the KB up for sale and rejoin the N/A ranks.

Do it! We did some shakedown passes with kdanner's car last night at Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy. Air was terrible but they did a good job with the track.

Best pass was:
eT8zxdvfgSc

First time the car has been to the strip in over a year. It should run mid 10's when the weather cools.

downtime!
09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Do it! We did some shakedown passes with kdanner's car last night at Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy. Air was terrible but they did a good job with the track.

Best pass was:
eT8zxdvfgSc

First time the car has been to the strip in over a year. It should run mid 10's when the weather cools.I've been watching that video for about an hour now. It's very tempting. I will not be swapping over to the 6R80 though. That 1-2 shift bugs me badly. Still leaning towards a 4R70, but looking at the 4R100 and even the GM stuff right now.

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
MT-82 for life!!!

downtime!
09-15-2013, 06:28 PM
MT-82 for life!!!I've had really good luck with mine. 36000 miles, several hundred lauches, no telling how many roll races in Mexico. I got the whine the first time I took it to Maryland two years ago, but even that has nearly completely gone away. The Barton shifter transmits a LOT of noise up through the stick, but other than that, it's held up really well. My reason for switching is consistency and the desire for better times. I think I can get 10.70's out of the car the way it is, but the mph shows that the car has some 10.40's in her. Not sure I can get her there rowing! LOL!

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I've had really good luck with mine. 36000 miles, several hundred lauches, no telling how many roll races in Mexico. I got the whine the first time I took it to Maryland two years ago, but even that has nearly completely gone away. The Barton shifter transmits a LOT of noise up through the stick, but other than that, it's held up really well. My reason for switching is consistency and the desire for better times. I think I can get 10.70's out of the car the way it is, but the mph shows that the car has some 10.40's in her. Not sure I can get her there rowing! LOL!

That's good man. Most of the failures on these trans are due to driver error, but I'll stick to the stick. Mine isn't a track car. Just sees it here and there. I just want to hit 11's one day lol

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 07:58 PM

Best pass was:
eT8zxdvfgSc

First time the car has been to the strip in over a year. It should run mid 10's when the weather cools.

What are the mods to that car?

-Alex

Grandpa
09-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Yes, that is true for the cars making more than 650rw for sure. That comes down to tune issues more times than not with cars pushing the limits of the stock MAF. But there is many, many cars out there running 600-650 range that have stock like drivability from a solid tuner.

kdanner
09-15-2013, 08:05 PM
What are the mods to that car?

-Alex

No sissy power adders.
Boss powered, headers/CJ manifold
converter
3.31 gear
suspension, tires, etc.

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
No sissy power adders.
Boss powered, headers/CJ manifold
converter
3.31 gear
suspension, tires, etc.

Boss powered? Like pistons and crank or full longblock?

-Alex

Rebelracer568
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Oxford mt82 for life????? Doesnt yours make a funny noise when shifting? lol.
Im going t56 if mine blows. Be better for road racing. Plus autos are way to go if you wanna go fast. Thats why im slow lol

kdanner
09-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Boss powered? Like pistons and crank or full longblock?

-Alex

I bought an entire Boss engine from a Ford dealer in January 2011, before the Boss cars actually shipped. It was cheap at the time. Sold my stock engine for good $, in the end the Boss upgrade cost me $1500. Only internal upgrade is I installed Triangle Speed's pump gears before installing the engine. What I didn't know at the time since the cars weren't out yet is that the Boss engines aren't any faster than a GT once they both have the Boss manifold and are tuned. But, the durability upgrade for that price was worth it anyway I think.

Grandpa
09-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Plus autos are way to go if you wanna go fast.

Complete nonsense. You can go fast rowing gears if you practice enough and know your car well. The ONLY steadfast rule pertaining transmission choice is autos are the way to go if you are a bracket racer. Driver ability and suspension set ups are the keys to going fast at the track.

Oxford14Stang
09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Complete nonsense. You can go fast rowing gears if you practice enough and know your car well. The ONLY steadfast rule pertaining transmission choice is autos are the way to go if you are a bracket racer. Driver ability and suspension set ups are the keys to going fast at the track.

I think what he meant Steve is that if you want to go fast you go auto due to consistency and the fact you can't shift faster than an auto lol

Dominic Toretto
09-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I think what he meant Steve is that if you want to go fast you go auto due to consistency and the fact you can't shift faster than an auto lol

And you remove any possibility of human error in regards to shifting late, missed shift etc.

-Alex

Rebelracer568
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Steve I can slam gears I race cars with clutchless jerico transmissions. The fastest blown mt82 that I know is 10.03 could be wrong. There alot of faster autos. Our trannys sucks. Autos hold more power and shift faster. Its not the 60's and 70's when autos where slow and manuals were faster.
There a reason the cobra jets are autos when in 68 there were almost all sticks

BLK2012GT
09-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Steve I can slam gears I race cars with clutchless jerico transmissions. The fastest blown mt82 that I know is 10.03 could be wrong. There alot of faster autos. Our trannys sucks. Autos hold more power and shift faster. Its not the 60's and 70's when autos where slow and manuals were faster.
There a reason the cobra jets are autos when in 68 there were almost all sticks

Yes auto is the way to go for the track but it isn't as fun as the manual on the streets. So since my car see the streets 99% of the time the stick is the only way I will go.

JDMLOL
09-16-2013, 12:37 AM
MT-82 for life!!!

They suck. Mine likes to grind in second with the the clutch through the floorboard.

downtime!
09-16-2013, 01:00 AM
There a reason the cobra jets are autos when in 68 there were almost all sticksThe Cobra Jets are also NOT running the 6R80. They come with the good old C4 3 speed auto, straight out of the 60's and 70's. There's also a 2 speed option they're calling a C2, but I'm betting it's just an updated version of the old Powerglide.

OG Fox
09-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes auto is the way to go for the track but it isn't as fun as the manual on the streets. So since my car sits in the shop 99% of the time the stick is the only way I will go.

fixed that for you... :Big Laugh:

BLK2012GT
09-16-2013, 01:12 AM

Dick it hasn't been to TS since I switch back to e85.

Oxford14Stang
09-16-2013, 02:12 AM

Ahh haha that was bound to happen.

Oxford14Stang
09-16-2013, 02:13 AM

Damn off to a great start with the name calling. Let's just stop it here. Glad you got your car running right. Plan on making any trips to the track before Oct. 5? Your going to be competing arnt you?

BLK2012GT
09-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Damn off to a great start with the name calling. Let's just stop it here. Glad you got your car running right. Plan on making any trips to the track before Oct. 5? Your going to be competing arnt you?

I'm not going to be there. Taking a family trip.

Oxford14Stang
09-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Ah okay.

Grandpa
09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Yes auto is the way to go for the track but it isn't as fun as the manual on the streets. So since my car see the streets 99% of the time the stick is the only way I will go.

I agree.

Rebelracer568
09-16-2013, 09:12 AM
The Cobra Jets are also NOT running the 6R80. They come with the good old C4 3 speed auto, straight out of the 60's and 70's. There's also a 2 speed option they're calling a C2, but I'm betting it's just an updated version of the old Powerglide.

Yea there using a c4 and a power glide just call it something weird. I was just utilizing the cobra jet to make a point the autos are faster on track than sticks. I drag race only manual cars cause I love the challenge and fun they offer. But if I wanna go fast especially with a power adder auto is the way to go. But ill stick to my jericos and mt82 till it blows. Heck I still have road race cars with t-5s in em. I worry everytime I race that it will break. I shattered every gear in one once. Think 500hp was to much lol

Yagermeister
09-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I talked to the Cobra Jet engineers when I was at Watson Racing and they use a C3 prepared by Joel's on Joy a local race trans shop in MI. They chose it because of one main reason...quick access to replacement parts. When you are racing at the level the CJ's race on, you are generally checking/replacing/modifying parts on the car all the time and need quick access to parts. I'd venture to say most transmissions in 6-9sec cars (in the 1/4 mile) are autos of some sort due to consistency and needing two hands on the wheel :)

Rebelracer568
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
I talked to the Cobra Jet engineers when I was at Watson Racing and they use a C3 prepared by Joel's on Joy a local race trans shop in MI. They chose it because of one main reason...quick access to replacement parts. When you are racing at the level the CJ's race on, you are generally checking/replacing/modifying parts on the car all the time and need quick access to parts. I'd venture to say most transmissions in 6-9sec cars (in the 1/4 mile) are autos of some sort due to consistency and needing two hands on the wheel :)
Unless your a pro stock driver lol. But yes sir your are correct most cars in that range are autos. Seldon you see a car that quick that's a manual

Dominic Toretto
09-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Unless your a pro stock driver lol. But yes sir your are correct most cars in that range are autos. Seldon you see a car that quick that's a manual

Only cars I see that do that are MK4 Supras. Which is weird because Getrag made those transmissions as well as the manual transmissions in our cars but in the Supras they can support 1,000rwhp without mods. Plenty of those guys running tons of power without transmission or rear ends breaking.

-Alex

DirtyD
09-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Only cars I see that do that are MK4 Supras. Which is weird because Getrag made those transmissions as well as the manual transmissions in our cars but in the Supras they can support 1,000rwhp without mods. Plenty of those guys running tons of power without transmission or rear ends breaking.

-Alex
As said many times before, the remote mount shifter on these trans is the retarded part. I've not known a 1000whp Supra to know have a built or slightly built trans though. Just no way I can see a factory production trans holding up to that in any vehicle.

Grandpa
09-16-2013, 10:18 AM

And also because they don't shock the tires anywhere near as hard as a manual car does allowing it to be much more settled going down the track.

Regardless, this conversation has gotten retarded. It only applies to the people building a purpose built, point and shoot track car. There are still a lot of people out there who still like rowing gears taking up the challenge to add the driver equation to the mix to get the car down the track.

Personally, I find driving a car like Brent's boring as hell to drive. It's just not my personal thing. While it puts up great numbers at the track, when driving a car like that it's pretty boring and uneventful. Set the air pressure, stage it, load the suspension, hit a good light and let it fly. Not much to it. No drivers skill to it after the light turns green, not much of a challenge at all. I prefer to row gears, improve my technique and being more connected to the car to enjoy the expierence.

Again, like I said before, we are doing the same things here, just going different ways about it. It all comes down to personal preference and how a car is going to be used. Auto/manual both have their positives and negatives.

re-rx7
09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
The v160 in the supra def holds a 1000whp untouched.

Grandpa
09-16-2013, 10:20 AM
As said many times before, the remote mount shifter on these trans is the retarded part. I've not known a 1000whp Supra to know have a built or slightly built trans though. Just no way I can see a factory production trans holding up to that in any vehicle.

Will had the stock one in his car making well over 1200rw powershifting the fuck out of it and it lived for much longer than ANY Ford/GM manual he's ever had. No one has killed more transmissions than him. I think his last count was around 30 T56's alone.

Dominic Toretto
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Over 30 passes in the 8s with this driver. Shows the transmission break on one run though. Not bad I would think and the car was driven and raced since 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuMIZ4Y_AU

-Alex

DirtyD
09-16-2013, 10:25 AM
The v160 in the supra def holds a 1000whp untouched.

Will had the stock one in his car making well over 1200rw powershifting the fuck out of it and it lived for much longer than ANY Ford/GM manual he's ever had. No one has killed more transmissions than him. I think his last count was around 30 T56's alone.

Good to know. I didn't realize they were THAT strong. Very impressive.

Just proves that Getrag doesn't build entirely crap transmissions. Hell, it may have been a Ford design with this trans they had Getrag build, without any consultation work.

Dominic Toretto
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Good to know. I didn't realize they were THAT strong. Very impressive.

Just proves that Getrag doesn't build entirely crap transmissions. Hell, it may have been a Ford design with this trans they had Getrag build, without any consultation work.

Yup. But I did a quick Wikipedia of Getrag. I think the V160 was built in Germany but, from what I gather, Getrag is building transmissions(almost all of them) out of China now. Not trying to thread jack.

-Alex

Grandpa
09-16-2013, 10:33 AM

It comes down to budget approval on parts. It may very well be a Getrag design, but it's only as good as the parts Ford will give the okay on with the internals. Ford still views the Mustang GT as the entry level sports/passenger vehicle. Most people who buy them, don't mod them to the hilt like us in the hobby therfor there is no need for a "built" trans in a mass production Mustang.

Toyota on the other hand has a reputation for over building on their sports cars. They view cars coming back to the dealership for service work as a loss. American car companies just see it as everyday business.

Rebelracer568
09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Steve your point is perfect. Autos are boring to drive. But produce awesome track numbers. Me I personally love shifting even with this pos we have in the car.

Dominic Toretto
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Steve your point is perfect. Autos are boring to drive. But produce awesome track numbers. Me I personally love shifting even with this pos we have in the car.

I have a ton of friends that would agree with you and wonder why I got an auto lol.

-Alex

Grandpa
09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
I have a ton of friends that would agree with you and wonder why I got an auto lol.

-Alex

There is nothing wrong with having an auto. It comes down to personal preference is all. I understand why some owners like/want a stalled auto car for the track. Very easy to run a number with, a monkey could drive one and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It takes the human error out of the equation, I get it. But it also takes the fun factor out of it for me. I like more than going to the track. I really like the twisty country backroads and rowing through the gears feeling connected to the car. Ever tried driving an auto through the backroads? It's annoying as fuck with a transmission that is confused most of the time trying to predict what the driver wants from it that changes every few seconds.

DirtyD
09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
If I lived and work anywhere around Dallas, I honestly would've probably bought an auto strictly because of the suck ass traffic anywhere south of 380, east of PGBT, and west of Rockwall...

Dominic Toretto
09-16-2013, 12:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with having an auto. It comes down to personal preference is all. I understand why some owners like/want a stalled auto car for the track. Very easy to run a number with, a monkey could drive one and I don't mean that as a bad thing. It takes the human error out of the equation, I get it. But it also takes the fun factor out of it for me. I like more than going to the track. I really like the twisty country backroads and rowing through the gears feeling connected to the car. Ever tried driving an auto through the backroads? It's annoying as fuck with a transmission that is confused most of the time trying to predict what the driver wants from it that changes every few seconds.

It's all good, I get why anyone would go either route.

-Alex

kdanner
09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. The fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

9DOhaYengKE

DirtyD
09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. That fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

9DOhaYengKE
Those tires look A LOT bigger than what they come with from Ford...

33x13.5?

kdanner
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Those tires look A LOT bigger than what they come with from Ford...

33x13.5?

Right. They come with 30x9 which is the max size stock eliminator tire, the cars come set up for stock eliminator. But, the 4.0 blower engine combo for both the CJ and COPO is only allowed in Super Stock, so those cars need the chassis work to put them in a Super Stock configuration where the max allowed tire is 14x32.

DirtyD
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Right. They come with 30x9 which is the max size stock eliminator tire, the cars come set up for stock eliminator. But, the 4.0 blower engine combo for both the CJ and COPO is only allowed in Super Stock, so those cars need the chassis work to put them in a Super Stock configuration where the max allowed tire is 14x32.
That was just a lucky guess. :lol:

Rebelracer568
09-16-2013, 05:20 PM
"C3" is code for the Reid cased TH400 in the 2014. "C2" is the Reid cased PG available in the 5.4 cars. All 2013 were C4, some of the prior year 5.4 cars were too. The fastest ones are sticks, just like in any other form of drag racing.

9DOhaYengKE
Yea car is sweet. Has same style tranny as the pro stock cars. Liberty 5 speed clutchless tranny. Thats awesome to see.

Yagermeister
09-16-2013, 05:56 PM

So the e85 is working great for you LIKE WE ALL TOLD YOU??

:love51:

Oxford14Stang
09-16-2013, 08:37 PM
:wtg:So the e85 is working great for you LIKE WE ALL TOLD YOU??

:love51:

Brent are you e85?

Yagermeister
09-16-2013, 09:05 PM
I was in Feb/Mar but while testing "street" converters Circle D wanted me on gas to be more street like. Now that I have a "race" converter I am switching back...Wed or Thurs of this week :)

wbt
09-17-2013, 12:16 PM
No need for this info.

Yagermeister
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
wbt, you are 100% correct! Chris at Circle D wanted me to have as close to a street car as possible at the time. E85 generally isn't used in a street car so he had asked if I could use pump gas for the first couple of tests. If the testing was successful and we went to market touting a street converter but all the test data was with a car on e85 some people would claim misleading testing was done to get the numbers.

With all that being said, with the ability to lock the converter, the converters (even the race one) drive like stock once you tune them. (I only have first gear to tune right now to tune out the slight mushiness and I'll be all set.) I got 25.2 mpg from Dallas to Detroit and back with the 4500 stall!

wbt
09-17-2013, 01:44 PM
No need for this info.