PDA

View Full Version : I don't think my tune is quite right

cmanley99
09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Maybe someone could chime in on this one. My car is a 2012 Auto with the Airraid CAI, BBR off-road X-pipe, no cats, GT-500 mufflers from svt, 2014 California special 19" wheels, and a Bama 93 race tune.

Here is the issue...
Off the line from a dig, the car might squeak the tires (traction control off and even turning off advance trac)
Pulls strong but seems like it is lacking
If driving normally, right before it shifts to the next gear, it will instantly surge 3-400 rpms
Car is shifting at WOT around 7200-7300 rpms

I hear of guys on this board spinning the tires off of these cars with the same or less mods on an auto. I have the pirelli tires so nothing too radical.

I can do some data logging but not sure what areas to watch and at what speeds/rpms. I tried once on a back road, and notice the knock sensor pulling what seemed to be 6 degrees at wot...but it could have been the road, idk. I have changed gas stations and it stays the same.

Any ideas?

blownaltered
09-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Get a real tune and get rid of that Bama tune.

DirtyD
09-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah, real tune. I don't think Bama disables the torque management and stuff on their tunes.

Contact Kevin Dunn, Truestreet, or VMP for some great tunes.

cmanley99
09-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I cant get mine dyno tuned right now...no time for it. My question is, who is a great tuner that can build me a tune using my programmer I have now? Who would you recommend?

ochoblanco
09-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I've heard great things about Kevin Dunn tuning based on data logs. Lito off s197forum is also a really good remote tuner. Lund, VMP are also good remote tuners...

DirtyD
09-09-2013, 08:43 PM
I cant get mine dyno tuned right now...no time for it. My question is, who is a great tuner that can build me a tune using my programmer I have now? Who would you recommend?

Kevin Dunn. Hands down. He does his tuning on the street riding with you in the car. Being that he owns an A6 5.0 himself, he will work wonders on your shifting.

cmanley99
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
How do I get in touch with him...I dont want to pay another $150 just to get crappy tunes...thx

JDBishopArts
09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
He is 04Sleeper on here.

re-rx7
09-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Get a real tune and get rid of that Bama tune.
Lol here we go again. :emotions33:

svt-eric
09-09-2013, 09:17 PM
He is 03Sleeper on here.

04sleeper*

JDBishopArts
09-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Oops. Yes. Thanks for the correction. I fat fingered it.

maxpayne
09-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Never been tuned, but after looking into it - my thoughts are why skimp on something as important as a tune?

wbt
09-10-2013, 02:57 AM
I've heard great things about Kevin Dunn tuning based on data logs. Lito off s197forum is also a really good remote tuner. Lund, VMP are also good remote tuners...

Lito, Lund, VMP....nothing wrong with those choices.

Grandpa
09-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Here is the issue with that, no tuner with any sort of decent reputation is going to be able to give you a great running tune that will make good power without spending some time on it. A dyno tune or street datalogging all will take some time tinkering with the tune to get it just right. Any crap canned tuned isn't going to give you the performance and drivability you are looking for.

The best thing to do it MAKE TIME to get a solid tune. It's worth every bit of the time and money in regards to performance and safety for your motor.

merlinmol
09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah, real tune. I don't think Bama disables the torque management and stuff on their tunes.

Contact Kevin Dunn, Truestreet, or VMP for some great tunes.

Dirty forgot to add HPP to the list of good tuners.

merlinmol
09-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Here is the issue with that, no tuner with any sort of decent reputation is going to be able to give you a great running tune that will make good power without spending some time on it. A dyno tune or street datalogging all will take some time tinkering with the tune to get it just right. Any crap canned tuned isn't going to give you the performance and drivability you are looking for.

The best thing to do it MAKE TIME to get a solid tune. It's worth every bit of the time and money in regards to performance and safety for your motor.

Can't believe I am agreeing with Steve :lol:. However, he is correct, you need to make the time and get this done properly. Being cheap or impatient has made you lucky that nothing got damaged. I can tell you that when HPP tuned my car it only took 2 hours, most of the time was spent ironing out the drivability. Not sure what the avg tune time is, but I think 2-4 hours isn't bad considering all the crap you have to go through to tune the computers in these cars.

cmanley99
09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
I have the ability to data log and would not mind doing just that so I can get it down right. Problem is time...I work M-S Till 8pm. I have a custom Bama tune but they dont seem to get it right. Thats why I asked who would be good that I could send my datalogging to and would they be able to use just that and get me something close. I know it is no substitute for a solid dyno tune (this isnt my first rodeo), but given the situation I am in, I need someone I can send this data to and they can help me get this a little closer.

cmanley99
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Can't believe I am agreeing with Steve :lol:. However, he is correct, you need to make the time and get this done properly. Being cheap or impatient has made you lucky that nothing got damaged. I can tell you that when HPP tuned my car it only took 2 hours, most of the time was spent ironing out the drivability. Not sure what the avg tune time is, but I think 2-4 hours isn't bad considering all the crap you have to go through to tune the computers in these cars.

I know it is time consuming...I also know that the Canned tunes are not the best way to go. Is there someone that can use datalogging to help me work towards getting it right? That is my question.

Grandpa
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I know it is time consuming...I also know that the Canned tunes are not the best way to go. Is there someone that can use datalogging to help me work towards getting it right? That is my question.

Datalogging will only help diagnose the issue. You can't make those changes in your handheld. You will need a proper tune.

re-rx7
09-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm happy with my bama tune.

DirtyD
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
As said before, contact Kevin/04sleeper and see if you cna set something up with him. He will do his best to work with you and your schedule, pending his own, and has done many people's tune in a couple of hours on a weekend.

If you want it done right, you have to make time for it to be done.

cmanley99
09-10-2013, 10:49 AM
As said before, contact Kevin/04sleeper and see if you cna set something up with him. He will do his best to work with you and your schedule, pending his own, and has done many people's tune in a couple of hours on a weekend.

If you want it done right, you have to make time for it to be done.

I realie that...I sent him a message...so hopefully he will get back with me.

saunupe1911
09-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm currently in your position bro. I tried a Ford Racing tune to keep a warranty and it pinged. Took it off and got a refund from Ford Racing. Never even thought about Bama or any other canned tune because I know it just not 100% for your car. Every car is different. I've personally watched Manny tune 3 or 4 different coyotes and countless other mustangs in general. I havent had the time for a tune, but I'm "making" time tomorrow. I've also waited until my warranty is close to being up and haven't had any issues out of my engine or trans. Just got to have some patience and get it done right. Just my 2 cents. I hope everything works out for you.

Yagermeister
09-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Kevin Dunn...nuff said

Grandpa
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Kevin Dunn...nuff said

Due to all the BS drama, Kevin is only tuning on a as needed basis. If he wants/needs money for his own project he will tune for select people. He is NOT a shop and does not need/want to be one.

cmanley99
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
After lots of research and thought, I had Kevin Dunn work his magic on my car and let me just say "THANK YOU!!!" It is night and day difference. The car runs and performs like a beast and is much smoother than even stock. I just added 3.73 gears to the car and he even set me up with an extra tune for the gears. I look forward to getting some track time in and seeing the difference.

Courtesy Flush
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM
After lots of research and thought, I had Kevin Dunn work his magic on my car and let me just say "THANK YOU!!!" It is night and day difference. The car runs and performs like a beast and is much smoother than even stock. I just added 3.73 gears to the car and he even set me up with an extra tune for the gears. I look forward to getting some track time in and seeing the difference.

Cant believe it wasn't asked, but what was your ET before?

cmanley99
10-09-2013, 03:41 PM
before the gears, good tune, and o/r x pipe, i ran a 8.3 1/8 at 88mph...but the bama tune wasnt good then.

blownaltered
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
before the gears, good tune, and o/r x pipe, i ran a 8.3 1/8 at 88mph...but the bama tune wasnt good then.

I would like to point out the fact that all the bama nut huggers got on me for telling you to get a real tune. You did that and now know the bama tune was shit. I love it when I'm right

Dan12GT
10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I would like to point out the fact that all the bama nut huggers got on me for telling you to get a real tune. You did that and now know the bama tune was shit. I love it when I'm right

Agreed. I've seen too many cases of people having issues with Bama. This is why when I am ready to get mine as well I will not skimp and get it done right the first time.

04sleeper
10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Good meeting you Chris. Glad to see it running well!

:favorites13:

cmanley99
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
It was great meeting you as well...my car thanks you.