PDA

View Full Version : Question for MGW owners...

JDMLOL
09-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I know the shifter is supposed to be notchier than stock but does anyone seem to have more than average notchiness from 1-2 under moderate to heavy acceleration than the rest of the gears? I feel like mine has an almost abnormal amount of nochiness. Sitting still or under light load the shift is butter smooth but more spirited driving causes the shift from 1 to 2 feel like it is hanging on something as I pass through neutral or the halfway position. Does anyone else experience this? I feel like I remembered the stocker giving some resistance during spirited driving as well but the mgw seems to magnify it.

Sieran
09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Try adjusting the reverse lockout nut. I had to tweak mine some because it was getting hung up between the gates when the transmission torqued some. In the end i think I ended up moving the nut like 5 full turns (forgot which direction) before it felt "right".

JDMLOL
09-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Damn, I don't want to take it all apart again. Am I able to slip the boot far enough down to access the nut without taking it off again?

Grandpa
09-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Mine is fine. It doesn't feel as good as the MGW in the Mach, but it's a lil notchy in the 5.0 and notat all in the Mach. It's a cry far better than the stock shifter though.

03MachMe
09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
If you lower it, you have to do a panhard too, otherwise one wheel will stick out ghetto style. So add that to your must do's along with springs. You drive like on old man like me so the stock shifter doesnt bother me at all so i wouldnt waste the money on that.

Other than that just get the mufflers you want. :)

Hmm wonder if Steve remembers this comment...

blownaltered
09-09-2013, 02:13 PM

:lol:

Sieran
09-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Damn, I don't want to take it all apart again. Am I able to slip the boot far enough down to access the nut without taking it off again?

I don't think so. The console is not that hard to pop off. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Just drive it around with it apart and adjust it some to see if it helps. It may or may not be the problem, but i drove for the first day with the console out so i could adjust it until i liked it.

Grandpa
09-09-2013, 02:19 PM

It didn't bother me since I had never raced the car before that night at the track.It was fine for the lil bit of spirited driving I had done up to that point since I had never powershifted it. I owned the car a year before ever racing it or even turning the traction control off. I didn't know the stocker was going to lock me out of fourth. It's fine now. /shrug.

03MachMe
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
It didn't bother me since I had never raced the car before that night at the track.It was fine for the lil bit of spirited driving I had done up to that point since I had never powershifted it. I owned the car a year before ever racing it or even turning the traction control off. I didn't know the stocker was going to lock me out of fourth. It's fine now. /shrug.

yep thats what I would say too lol. never been locked out of 4th here and mine was just fine at the track :poker:

Grandpa
09-09-2013, 02:27 PM
yep thats what I would say too lol. never been locked out of 4th here and mine was just fine at the track :poker:

Well then, it should come no surprise your car is better than mine since you are a better driver too. Some people just have it all I guess.

JDMLOL
09-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Lol.

I just took it around for a spin and did varying take offs to see if I could pin point it. Granny driving is buttery smooth, moderate shifts around 3k have intermittent notch or catch midway through 1-2 and hard take offs seem pretty smooth as well. Maybe I'm paranoid. I've never been locked out. I just dont want to bend a fork or erode something inside the trans because it's catching on something.

03MachMe
09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Well then, it should come no surprise your car is better than mine since you are a better driver too. Some people just have it all I guess.

glad you realize this. just wanted to point out your 180 on the shifter deal that is all lol

Grandpa
09-09-2013, 02:54 PM
glad you realize this. just wanted to point out your 180 on the shifter deal that is all lol

Ok, I was wrong about the shifter. Is that what you wanted to see?

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Haha, Steve he got you good. Doesn't really mater though. What does matter is your running your car at the track and you found a way to better improve your car and shifts. I'm on the stock shifter and bracket still but plan to go with the mgw. I have only been locked out of one gear for sure that I know and that was 6th doing a run in mexico. I've had some issues not getting into third when powershifting but I let off 99% of the time these days and it goes right in. Not sure if it was lockout or just flat out missed but since i lift now havn't had the issue.