PDA

View Full Version : Availability of 93 Octane

JDMLOL
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I thought I've heard people mention that many areas outside of north texas only offer 87 89 and 91 rather than 87 89 and 93 at gas stations. Im tuned for 93 and will be taking my car down to san antonio in about a month. Will I have trouble finding 93 octane along I35? I never pay attention on road trips to what stations offer because I'm usually not driving. What areas dont usually carry 93?

J.Shoot
09-02-2013, 07:12 PM
93 octane isn't easy to find in Abilene. Valero and a couple of others are the only station that carries 93 in town..... It ridiculous that its not available.
I'd carry some Torco additive just to be safe in case you have to put in 91 octane.
J.Shoot

GunsUp
09-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Sams in Abilene?

downtime!
09-02-2013, 07:26 PM
When I head out to Ohio or Maryland, it can be hard to find. Some places don't get anything above 91. It's only been an issue once, had to fill up with 91, stayed out of boost for the next 300 miles until I could get some 93 back in her.

BV600
09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
When I went to OK I couldn't find 93, looked for 91 with no 10% Ethanol.
That was after I killed some O2s with 110 leaded

ochoblanco
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
In Waco through Austin, it's all 87, 89, and 93. You should have no issue

Grandpa
09-02-2013, 08:01 PM
You will be fine going to SA. 93 available all the way there.

garner
09-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah you'll be fine

Only time I haven't seen 93 in Texas was in a little town like 30 minutes outside of lubbock

JDMLOL
09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Sweet. Thanks.

Grandpa
09-02-2013, 08:29 PM
We go to SA and Galveston regularly. Anywhere south is no problem getting 93. Its when you go to far west Texas your options are limited.

JDMLOL
09-02-2013, 08:42 PM
We go to SA and Galveston regularly. Anywhere south is no problem getting 93. Its when you go to far west Texas your options are limited.

Whats the issue with 93 in certain areas?

I like how the 7/11's that carry the four or five octanes call and price 91 as premium, I'm sitting there thinking "This is semi-premium." Lol.

G-Mann
09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Good to know if I ever make that drive. I was going to suggest flashing to a 91 tune prior to the trip if you have that option and make it a non issue.

You could also roll with your tuner and flash to a 91 if push came to shove.

zemog255
09-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Whats the issue with 93 in certain areas?

Elevation/altitude. The thinner air requires less octane. That is typically the reasoning. You can find 85 octane in Lubbock. I have noticed about a hour west of Stephenville is when it gets hard to find 93. I haven't had any problems going down south or east finding 93.

JDMLOL
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Good to know if I ever make that drive. I was going to suggest flashing to a 91 tune prior to the trip if you have that option and make it a non issue.

You could also roll with your tuner and flash to a 91 if push came to shove.

I was sort of thinking that, but my ecu likes to lockout quite a bit during loads. I really don't want to be stranded after hours if the battery or "let it sit and cool down" tricks dont work and sct is closed.

re-rx7
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Colorado you can find 85 and I believe I saw 83 at one station.

G-Mann
09-02-2013, 10:36 PM
I was sort of thinking that, but my ecu likes to lockout quite a bit during loads. I really don't want to be stranded after hours if the battery or "let it sit and cool down" tricks dont work and sct is closed.

I hear ya, I'd be a bit nervous flashing on the side of the road myself. I like to have a battery charger/maintainer on mine when I flash, which is not all that often since my dyno tune. But I do have my mail order tunes 4 life handy as a last resort with a 87, 91 on tap.

DirtyD
09-03-2013, 01:00 AM
OK doesn't carry any 93, only 87-91. Anywhere south of DFW down to Mexico and west of Junction (draw a line straight north) is where 93 because a pain to find

Going east isn't a problem though for 93.

I want to eventually make a road trip in my car out to California, but I don't know what I would do for fuel...probably get an 87 tune for my mods and just call it at that.

re-rx7
09-03-2013, 01:00 PM
OK doesn't carry any 93, only 87-91. Anywhere south of DFW down to Mexico and west of Junction (draw a line straight north) is where 93 because a pain to find

Going east isn't a problem though for 93.

I want to eventually make a road trip in my car out to California, but I don't know what I would do for fuel...probably get an 87 tune for my mods and just call it at that.
There are a few station in OKC that carry it. When I can....I get 95 in dallas.

DirtyD
09-03-2013, 02:25 PM
There are a few station in OKC that carry it. When I can....I get 95 in dallas.
Where is Dallas is there 95?

And that's nice to know that OKC has some 93. Doubt I will ever venture that far into OK unless I'm sucked in by the massive suckage that is OK. :lol:

re-rx7
09-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Where is Dallas is there 95?

And that's nice to know that OKC has some 93. Doubt I will ever venture that far into OK unless I'm sucked in by the massive suckage that is OK. :lol:

You know why its windy in OKlahoma? Because Texas sucks...:waytogo::rockit:. Go south on Harry Hines from 635. There will be a shell on the right. 95 at the pump.

Grandpa
09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
You know why its windy in OKlahoma? Because Texas sucks...:waytogo::rockit:. Go south on Harry Hines from 635. There will be a shell on the right. 95 at the pump.

It's windy in OK due to the 10,000 trailer parks and the tornadoes tearing through them. lol

re-rx7
09-03-2013, 03:06 PM
It's windy in OK due to the 10,000 trailer parks and the tornadoes tearing through them. lol

Aint that the truth. :signs8:

JDMLOL
09-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I just thought of something...After reading around on other sites, shouldn't the knock sensors still adjust timing with an aftermarket tune? I read with Lund tunes that the knock sensors would still adjust the car. I mean these cars are able to run 87 and are able to adjust their timing on their own from the factory. I know my current tune is optimized for 93 but I would still think the car would be able to auto adjust, would it not? I'm not planning on trying it "just because" but I would think if all I could find was 91 it would be ok, especially N/A.

DirtyD
09-23-2013, 09:11 AM
I just thought of something...After reading around on other sites, shouldn't the knock sensors still adjust timing with an aftermarket tune? I read with Lund tunes that the knock sensors would still adjust the car. I mean these cars are able to run 87 and are able to adjust their timing on their own from the factory. I know my current tune is optimized for 93 but I would still think the car would be able to auto adjust, would it not? I'm not planning on trying it "just because" but I would think if all I could find was 91 it would be ok, especially N/A.
It will be on razor's edge in doing so. When you get your custom tune, ther timing is set up to run the specific fuel you specify, so that there is hardly any, if at all, work being done by the knock sensors. Everything in the tune is optimized for the car to run on a specific octane. This is why custom tunes unleash so much more power and driveability over the stock tune, that has to handle multiple octane fuels.

FastFordDriver
09-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Yep, I've heard that is true.... and once you realize that Oklahoma was one of the last land masses in the Continental US to be settled then you start wondering... why did everyone bypass Oklahoma to continue west (only circling back when nothing else was left)?

The answer comes when you drive through it.

re-rx7
09-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Yep, I've heard that is true.... and once you realize that Oklahoma was one of the last land masses in the Continental US to be settled then you start wondering... why did everyone bypass Oklahoma to continue west (only circling back when nothing else was left)?

The answer comes when you drive through it.

Actually the land was supposed to be set aside for NAtive Americans. This was the reason for everyone passing through and not stopping. Oklahoma translated into Choctaw literally means "Red People".

DirtyD
09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Actually the land was supposed to be set aside for NAtive Americans. This was the reason for everyone passing through and not stopping. Oklahoma translated into Choctaw literally means "Red People".
Now it just translates into "Red Necks"...

JDMLOL
09-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Im just wondering if the dealer will put any gas in my car after they diagnose my trans issue. If they do I know it will only be regular unleaded. I took it up there with better than a half tank. I doubt the dealer will put any in it but I just wonder if I should call them and tell them not to put regular if they take it for a long drive...

re-rx7
09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
No gas will be added trust me.

DirtyD
09-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Im just wondering if the dealer will put any gas in my car after they diagnose my trans issue. If they do I know it will only be regular unleaded. I took it up there with better than a half tank. I doubt the dealer will put any in it but I just wonder if I should call them and tell them not to put regular if they take it for a long drive...
The only time a dealer will gas up your car is after you buy it. Never again should they put gas in your car for you.

re-rx7
09-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Now it just translates into "Red Necks"...

LOl pretty much.

saunupe1911
09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Is there an app that shows u octane levels of the gas station? I can not find one in the App Store

rriddle3
09-23-2013, 06:18 PM
If you have your tunes on a handheld, reset it to the stock tune prior to taking it to a dealer so they don't re-flash over your custom one.

JDMLOL
09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
If you have your tunes on a handheld, reset it to the stock tune prior to taking it to a dealer so they don't re-flash over your custom one.

No cats will throw a cel

rriddle3
09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Forgot about your LTs.

JDMLOL
09-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Forgot about your LTs.

They shouldn't reflash for trans work based on what I've heard from the techs on the board but that's the risk I take.

DirtyD
09-23-2013, 11:08 PM
They shouldn't reflash for trans work based on what I've heard from the techs on the board but that's the risk I take.

Tell them don't touch the computer.

But they will obviously notice your LTs and hopefully still do the work.

JDMLOL
09-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Tell them don't touch the computer.

But they will obviously notice your LTs and hopefully still do the work.

They originally knew about the shifter and lts and were ok with it. Told them about the 93 tune today in hopes they wouldnt flash over or attempt to put fuel in it and they acted surprised. So idk if I will get a phone call tomorrow or in a few days telling me they have changed their minds after they thought about it and to pick it up or if they will actually do the work. I know they're probably thinking I race or abuse it neither of which I have done to the car or any car for that matter. They would've found out about the tune as soon as it was raised up and saw no cats and no cel on the dash. I've got two more dealerships I can try if it falls through. If all else fails my uncle's brother in law has a trans shop that can probably fix it cheap.

Either way, after a cost benefit analysis it would probably cost about the same to reverse the mods fix it through ford and reinstall them as it would to just fix the trans out of pocket.

Bacadiesel
09-24-2013, 02:29 AM
I just came back from a road trip to denver CO. Only TX had 93 octane, and 287 going north towards Amarillo most places only have up to 90 octane so I tuned my car back to stock. I also averaged 24mpg the whole trip(1800 miles there and back and about a full tank in town in denver). Oh and 80mph the whole way.