PDA

View Full Version : Intake/tune or mgw shifter

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Trying to decided what my next mod should be and I'm kinda hung up between an mgw shifter or an air raid cai and tune(probably truestreet). Trying to spread my mods out a bit time wise so I was wondering what you guys would do

re-rx7
09-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Trying to decided what my next mod should be and I'm kinda hung up between an mgw shifter or an air raid cai and tune(probably truestreet). Trying to spread my mods out a bit time wise so I was wondering what you guys would do

Well the price difference between those two is certainly large but probally Intake/tune. Shifter is def a gd idea.

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Yea the price is one of the main reasons its one or the other right now... Does anyone know how much you pick up from a typical true street tune

OG Fox
09-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Yea the price is one of the main reasons its one or the other right now... Does anyone know how much you pick up from a typical true street tune

you should pick up around 20-30 hp from a good tune. cold air intake is not needed on coyotes unless you go forced induction. I would focus your money on an off road mid pipe and a tune. that should put you well over 400 rwhp.

JDMLOL
09-01-2013, 02:47 PM
you should pick up around 20-30 hp from a good tune. cold air intake is not needed on coyotes unless you go forced induction. I would focus your money on an off road mid pipe and a tune. that should put you well over 400 rwhp.

This! Tune/ offroad mid is the best bang for the buck.

re-rx7
09-01-2013, 02:49 PM

This! Tune/ offroad mid is the best bang for the buck.

If I could go back back I would buy the Hpipe/tune instaed of the intake.

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 03:34 PM
See that's why I ask these things cuz I'm a super newb to the coyote motors.... So a lethal orh and a tune... Hmmmm maybe I should pick up some mufflers cuz I think the muffler delete will be a bit loud

wbt
09-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I am a firm believer in building the foundation before the house.

I would work on the driveline before adding more power. Get the most out of what you have and when you start adding power, you will be that much further ahead.

jayman33
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I concur with WBT's statement. That MGW shifter is one of the best investments I've made.

re-rx7
09-01-2013, 03:57 PM
See that's why I ask these things cuz I'm a super newb to the coyote motors.... So a lethal orh and a tune... Hmmmm maybe I should pick up some mufflers cuz I think the muffler delete will be a bit loud

I am a firm believer in building the foundation before the house.

I would work on the driveline before adding more power. Get the most out of what you have and when you start adding power, you will be that much further ahead.

GT500 mufflers ftw. Also the shifter is nice but i did well with the Oem shifter so i guess its on personal opinion.

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I have roush suspension under the car and it handles great so the only other thing I need foundation wise is wider tires I think...as for gt500 mufflers those as exactly what I was thinking

re-rx7
09-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I have roush suspension under the car and it handles great so the only other thing I need foundation wise is wider tires I think...as for gt500 mufflers those as exactly what I was thinking
They sound really gd.

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 05:40 PM
I haven't heard the gt500s with an orh except YouTube vids but everyone says it doesn't do justice to the setup so I need to find somebody to let me listen to there setup

wbt
09-01-2013, 06:23 PM
GT500 mufflers ftw. Also the shifter is nice but i did well with the Oem shifter so i guess its on personal opinion.

When you start pushing the car hard and experience problems shifting into 3rd, you will want an aftermarket shifter with the support bracket.

Black_5.0
09-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Yea the stock shifter leaves quite a bit to be desired but it is one of the best stock shifters I have seen on a car in this price range

re-rx7
09-01-2013, 07:55 PM
When you start pushing the car hard and experience problems shifting into 3rd, you will want an aftermarket shifter with the support bracket.

Trust me I push mine plenty. Never had a problem.

El_Tortuga
09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Shifter 1st IMHO. An alternate would be to install the shifter bracket with the OEM shifter.

Black_5.0
09-02-2013, 01:20 PM
So now I'm thinking shifter then wheels and fat tires then orh and a tune... How does that sound?

re-rx7
09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
So now I'm thinking shifter then wheels and fat tires then orh and a tune... How does that sound?

I would go tune first. Thats just me.

Slow Five-O
09-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I would go tune first. Thats just me.

X2. Tunes on these cars are awesome.

Black_5.0
09-03-2013, 01:50 AM
What do you guys think of the diablo intune? Friend of mine has one for dirt cheap cuz he sold his car to get a new harley

DirtyD
09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
What do you guys think of the diablo intune? Friend of mine has one for dirt cheap cuz he sold his car to get a new harley

Only use than to upload custom tunes. The preloaded tunes aren't worth anything.

But even then, the datalog capabilities for that handheld are not nearing as wide variety wise as SCT, so I would recommend getting a custom tune locally by a Diablosport capable tuner, or contact JPC Racing who are the best tuners on the Diablosport right now.

Grandpa
09-03-2013, 08:39 AM

The problem with Diablosport is there isn't much support out there for it. Most tuners use SCT which would severely limit your options for a tuner locally.

DirtyD
09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
The problem with Diablosport is there isn't much support out there for it. Most tuners use SCT which would severely limit your options for a tuner locally.
I think Sean said he can tune for the Diablosport when I had that one last year, but he said for Ford he would rather prefer SCT.

re-rx7
09-03-2013, 09:17 AM
the problem with diablosport is there isn't much support out there for it. Most tuners use sct which would severely limit your options for a tuner locally.

this x10

G-Mann
09-04-2013, 12:15 AM
I would do the tune first, IMO best bang for your buck. Sounds like you will have future mods down the road so you may want to consider someone like American Muscle with tunes for life until your done modding and then get a more dialed in tune. If you buy the SCT from AM you basically get the tune or tunes for life for free.

Darkhelmet22
09-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I would do the tune first, IMO best bang for your buck. Sounds like you will have future mods down the road so you may want to consider someone like American Muscle with tunes for life until your done modding and then get a more dialed in tune. If you buy the SCT from AM you basically get the tune or tunes for life for free.

That's what I did. Did mid pipe and tune first. It's crazy how much better the car feels. Shifter will be next for me.

Black_5.0
09-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I really appreciate you guy giving me input it has pretty much helped me decide to start with a tune with an offroad h and gt500 axle back. What do you think?

re-rx7
09-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I really appreciate you guy giving me input it has pretty much helped me decide to start with a tune with an offroad h and gt500 axle back. What do you think?

Thats a gd setup.

Darkhelmet22
09-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Great idea

G-Mann
09-07-2013, 09:15 PM

That's a great start. You might have to come back with some suspension tweaks to keep that extra power on the ground, particularly if you got 3:73's

Black_5.0
09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Yea some lower control arms will probably be soon on the list and some wheels and tires will come very soon

Oxford14Stang
09-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Just leave the car stock and go for a all new best e/t for a bone stock 5.0!! I think you can do it! lol. all ideas stated are good. keep us posted.

Black_5.0
09-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Well I just picked up some longtubes a custom xpipe and some ford racing sport mufflers from dark pony so I think tune will defiantly be the next thing on my list but first I wanna get a baseline run to see where I'm at.

G-Mann
09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Well I just picked up some longtubes a custom xpipe and some ford racing sport mufflers from dark pony so I think tune will defiantly be the next thing on my list but first I wanna get a baseline run to see where I'm at.

Very Nice. It is going to sound wicked man!!! You will have to post up a video/sound clip after you get the work done.

Black_5.0
09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Very Nice. It is going to sound wicked man!!! You will have to post up a video/sound clip after you get the work done.

As soon as I can get some money back together and get a tuner ill do the install and post some pics and videos and I also picked up a barton short shifter in the deal

Black_5.0
09-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Well I have to say that I'm extremely happy with the barton shifter and no long get locked out of 3rd and 4th gear... Awesome improvement to the car and makes it feel like a sports car

wbt
09-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Well I have to say that I'm extremely happy with the barton shifter and no long get locked out of 3rd and 4th gear... Awesome improvement to the car and makes it feel like a sports car

+1. Liked mine on my 2011.

Black_5.0
09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Yea now I'm excited to see what it will do once I get a tune

Black_5.0
09-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Well sct tuner is ordered so the header install will be as soon as we get a non rainy weekend