PDA

View Full Version : UFC 151 - cancelled.

Grandpa
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM
It's been canceled due to Henderson tearing his MCL in training with Sokoudjou. Jon Jones was offered a fight with Sonnen who is fresh to the 205 division but was advised by his trainer Greg Jackson to not accept the fight.

Now, we are left with another mismatched rematch with Jones and Machida which Jones really didn't want either because there was no PPV numbers in it for him.

I can't decide if this was a good decision or not. All those guys on the undercard now won't get paid after working their asses off in training camps, spending money to fly people in for camp, dieting, time away from family etc. Not to mention the fans who spent money on nonrefundable airfares, time off for work etc.

I sort of agree with Jones though, Sonnen doesn't deserve a shot at the title with his first fight in the division just because he talked his way into yet another Twitter beef. Sonnen is coming off a loss, moves divisions to a direct title shot? I don't think so.

But there is little interest for people wanting to see Jones/Machida again after the way Jones went right through him like he wasn't even there. There is other options in the division like Big Gus and such, but not on a three day notice.

Either way, the real losers of this are the fans.

BLK2012GT
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
yaaawn

Grandpa
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Not a fan eh? Lol

Bearded Banger
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
As a fan I would love to see a fight, but I can't blame JJ for turning down the fight. He was training and preparing for a different opponent. Why put the title on the line for a BS thrown together bout. His trainer did the right thing telling him to bail. The JJ/Machida fight will suck.

Grandpa
08-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree. JJ is just going to manhandle Machida again. The only difference this next fight I think Machida will run around the octagon more than usual.

Bearded Banger
08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I do feel bad for all the undercard fighters. Dana should always have a back up plan. You can't let your fighters down like that. People are crucifying JJ, I have mixed feelings on it.

Grandpa
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I see both sides really. It's not fair for Sonnen just to talk his way into a title shot when there is a whole roster of guys to choose from.

Then again, it's an easy fight for him. He just said he's in it for the money and a fight with Sonnen would be easy cash for him, but it's also a big chance to get hurt too.

And why is no one giving Henderson crap for taking leg kicks and doing double leg takedowns with Sokoudjou so close to a big fight? Seems to me he was being careless taking a big risk.