PDA

View Full Version : Update on my car

downtime!
08-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Finally heading in the right direction. Travis has had it on the dyno for the last few days, trying to get some baseline readings and figure out what was going on with the car (it wouldn't rev, sounded like it was choked off, the weird idle issue, the miss, all that crap). There was no smoothing the original tune, the parameters were just all over the charts, nothing really made sense. The 80 lb injectors were scaled back to about 55 pounds, the fuel trims looked pretty good, the timing tables were all over (probably why I made 625 to the wheels). I told him to just start over and see what he could do with it.

Talked to him today and it looks like we're getting close. He started from scratch and it's idling more normally, revving free like it should, and the miss seems to be gone as well. The initial numbers, on a conservative tune, are 550 hp and 515 torque. Much more inline with what the car should actually be making, given the fact that I'm still running the base pulley and stock throttle body. We may swap out to a set of GT500 injectors to see what they'll do (the '13s came with 55 or 57 pounders). I feel confident that we'll end up around 575/520, and I'll be completely happy with that, especially if it's daily driveable smooth again.

Travis is going to be out of town for the next week, so I'm having them do the other little odds and ends while he's gone (look at the clutch, replace the off road x with a catted x, etc.). Hopefully, by the second week in September, I'll have her back and running good.

TrueStreetTim
08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Good news, man! I haven't followed the entire story, but Is this an SCT tune I'm assuming?

Dominic Toretto
08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
The 80 lb injectors were scaled back to about 55 pounds, the fuel trims looked pretty good, the timing tables were all over (probably why I made 625 to the wheels). I told him to just start over and see what he could do with it.

Talked to him today and it looks like we're getting close. He started from scratch and it's idling more normally, revving free like it should, and the miss seems to be gone as well. The initial numbers, on a conservative tune, are 550 hp and 515 torque. Much more inline with what the car should actually be making, given the fact that I'm still running the base pulley and stock throttle body.

So you lost about 100whp by switching to a better tune? Was the 625 supposedly on a conservative tune as well?

-Alex

downtime!
08-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Good news, man! I haven't followed the entire story, but Is this an SCT tune I'm assuming?Yes, SCT. It's crazy how all over the charts things are, I'm really surprised the car ran as well as it did. I guess WOT isn't all that hard to tune for? LOL!

downtime!
08-29-2013, 06:23 PM
So you lost about 100whp by switching to a better tune? Was the 625 supposedly on a conservative tune as well?

-AlexThe 625 was a "Glory" run, done I'm sure completely for my benefit that day at the shop. It was loaded with extra timing and actually ran like shit. The tune I drove out on was closer to 575 and it was a bit more conservative. It drove pretty decent too. Looking back at it now, if the car can run 10.80's at 575, and I can have it driveable at that power level, I think I can live with that.

Dominic Toretto
08-29-2013, 06:28 PM
The 625 was a "Glory" run, done I'm sure completely for my benefit that day at the shop. It was loaded with extra timing and actually ran like shit. The tune I drove out on was closer to 575 and it was a bit more conservative. It drove pretty decent too. Looking back at it now, if the car can run 10.80's at 575, and I can have it driveable at that power level, I think I can live with that.

Definitely. I would just think that if 625 was attainable on a crappy tune that, a good conservative tune could yield 600 easy. But you would know better than I. You're in the 10s already and I am still bone stock lol.

-Alex

downtime!
08-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Definitely. I would just think that if 625 was attainable on a crappy tune that, a good conservative tune could yield 600 easy. But you would know better than I. You're in the 10s already and I am still bone stock lol.

-AlexIf we can get 600 and still be daily driveable, believe me, we will! I"m just saying I'll be happy with 575. Hell, after all the crap I've gone through, I'd be happy with 550! LOL!

Dark Pony
08-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Glad to hear things are going well bud. I sure hope Travis can get it dialed in right!

re-rx7
08-29-2013, 09:18 PM
550whp is a damn fun street car I'd imagine.

Oxford14Stang
08-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Good to hear it's getting some progress. I'm going to hold you to your word about going to the track together and see what we can do! lol.

Dominic Toretto
08-29-2013, 09:33 PM
If we can get 600 and still be daily driveable, believe me, we will! I"m just saying I'll be happy with 575. Hell, after all the crap I've gone through, I'd be happy with 550! LOL!

Trust me, with 575 to the wheels you have plenty to brag about.

-Alex

downtime!
08-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Good to hear it's getting some progress. I'm going to hold you to your word about going to the track together and see what we can do! lol.
Sounds like a plan to me! I need to get out and get some track time anyway. Hard to believe, but it's been close to 25 years since I've been down a legal strip around here. I usually drive at least 4 states away when I race.

03MachMe
08-30-2013, 05:43 AM
good to hear. I always liked travis. A lot more than the other tuner you had for sure lol

downtime!
08-30-2013, 12:02 PM
good to hear. I always liked travis. A lot more than the other tuner you had for sure lolLOL! I strayed from the fold. Always wanted to use the "other" guy, found out all I needed to know, will not be back.

JDMLOL
09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Did you get it back? I think I saw you heading north on 287 today around 3.

downtime!
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
You did see me on 287 about then. I picked it up just before 3 and headed back to Keller.

Found out several things were shortcutted (is that even a word?) on the car from the other shop. Injectors (they had to have FRPP 80 lb) were scaled back to 55 pounds in the tune. The Boost a Pump had the adjustment knob removed (it's mounted in a way that you can't see where the knob should be with out really checking close) and wired wide open. Things like this really make you lose confidence in a shop quickly.

I basically had Travis start from scratch on the tune. The car now idles smoothly, doesn't die at redlights, and the surging seems to be gone as well. We switched out the Brisk plugs for the recommended Motorcraft plugs, and I also had them install a catted X pipe to replace the off road x (tired of the ridiculously loud exhaust and the gas smell).

Keeping in mind that the car made 570 and 510 on the tune that I drove it to Ohio on (and ran 10.85 @ 131), the new numbers are 602 and 520. More important than all that is just the way the car drives now.

We still have to get some Not Ready's cleared up so I can get her inspected (had 5! LOL! Fuel, O2, heated O2, EVAP and something else). The EVAP is the missing metal cover off the capless gas cap that needs to be replaced. Everything else should be able to be turned off in the tune.

There are still small issues with the tune, but I believe they are directly related to the crappy injectors (they are not really intended to work in a non return fuel system). We'll be switching them out for a set of ID1000's when I get back from Maryland at the end of October.

I'm replacing the shocks/struts and springs before the trip out there, and getting a new set of DR's. Should be fun, and if the air is like usual at MIR, I'm hoping for some deep 10's. We'll see!

JDMLOL
09-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Good to hear!

garner
09-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Can't wait to see the new times

Rebelracer568
09-22-2013, 03:14 AM
Glad to hear car is back and running good. Travis does great work. He tuned my car and im extremely pleased

re-rx7
09-22-2013, 08:59 AM
ID makes a damn gd injector.

downtime!
09-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes they do. It's a bit of overkill for what I have planned for the car (basically it will never be over 650-700 hp), but it should make it easier to smooth the rest of the way out, so I guess they're worth the stupid high asking price. I did find them on sale for $899 though!

re-rx7
09-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Yea they are price. My buddy priced some ID2000 for his rx7 (2)and I though it was for a set of 4. LOL