PDA

View Full Version : 5w50-ouch

El_Tortuga
08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Picked the oil for first oil change. Track pack = 5w50 =$10/qt.

Yikes!!!

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Picked the oil for first oil change. Track pack = 5w50 =$10/qt.

Yikes!!!

why 5w50? Brand?

Mrjeremyt
08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
10 bucks a quart is nothing... lol

kn7671
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
why 5w50? Brand?

5w50 is the standard weight in the Track Pack cars, just like the Boss models.

Don't know what brand or where you bought, but if you did it yourself, you could have spent 10-minutes searching Walmart, and other local part stores and found a better price.

Oxford14Stang
08-09-2013, 07:30 PM
wtf??? This is going to sound dumb, are you sure?

rriddle3
08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
It's what the owner's manual specifies for the 2014 GT w/Track Pack.

El_Tortuga
08-09-2013, 10:19 PM

Don't know what brand or where you bought, but if you did it yourself, you could have spent 10-minutes searching Walmart, and other local part stores and found a better price.

Guess again. Spent a hell of lot more time researching than that.

Did not find it on the shelf anywhere else. Can find Motorcraft online, but very close to the same price, so I picked it up at the local ford dealer.

Not many choices for full syn 5w50, even less that meet the spec. Castrol makes one that is the cheapest, but doesn't meet the spec. Redline makes one and meets the spec, but is even more expensive. Mobil one cost is similar but doesn't meet the spec. Royal purple doesn't show as making it. Maybe amsoil, but that ain't going to be cheap either.

Not many cars spec 5w50. E.g. GT500, BOSS, track pack, and Lexus LFA.

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Guess again. Spent a hell of lot more time researching than that.

Did not find it on the shelf anywhere else. Can find Motorcraft online, but very close to the same price, so I picked it up at the local ford dealer.

Not many choices for full syn 5w50, even less that meet the spec. Castrol makes one that is the cheapest, but doesn't meet the spec. Redline makes one and meets the spec, but is even more expensive. Mobil one cost is similar but doesn't meet the spec. Royal purple doesn't show as making it. Maybe amsoil, but that ain't going to be cheap either.

Not many cars spec 5w50. E.g. GT500, BOSS, track pack, and Lexus LFA.

Even for track use I think many people have said that 5w50 is overkill.

Mrjeremyt
08-10-2013, 12:35 AM
The 5w50 is great... for a racecar, not a daily. That weight is only used in cars that are thrashed on a daily basis. Its a race oil plain in simple. It might sound cool, but without a built motor, or excessively high cylinder head temp its really pointless. Might at well put some good old Rotella T 15w40 in there.

merlinmol
08-10-2013, 04:31 AM
I have a 13 Track Pack that calls for 5w50... I just run RP 5w30 HPS or XPR, then again im heavily modded, don't want to use those if you are keeping warranty.

Sieran
08-10-2013, 09:59 AM
You made me second guess what the dealer put in when i was last there... sure enough 5w20. Should have looked more closely at the damn service ticket before i left.

I don't care if it is only for "track use", i want what the damn engine calls for put in, specially when i paid for a maintenance plan.

Dan12GT
08-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm running Amsoild 10w30 love it. 7k miles on the oil so far. I will be doing an analysis at 10k

El_Tortuga
08-10-2013, 02:09 PM
You made me second guess what the dealer put in when i was last there... sure enough 5w20. Should have looked more closely at the damn service ticket before i left.

I don't care if it is only for "track use", i want what the damn engine calls for put in, specially when i paid for a maintenance plan.

Bingo!!!

El_Tortuga
08-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I have a 13 Track Pack that calls for 5w50... I just run RP 5w30 HPS or XPR, then again im heavily modded, don't want to use those if you are keeping warranty.

Keeping the engine bone stock to maintain full warranty. It will get tracked, and this is Texas so better to pay the piper now than risk any oil / heat issue at the track.

As an engineer myself, I'd be fairly certain a cost conscious company like Ford wouldn't call out such a high spec oil unless they truly saw the need. If it is only truly required for certain scenarios then so be it. So we know that the ECU
will dial back the engine if oil temp gets too high. What I don't know is if they move set point up in the track pack calibration to take advantage of the better heat resistance of the heavier full synthetic. I have been told that the regular GT (non BOSS) guys tend to run into heat limits at the track.

Paid good coin and special ordered to get the track pack, won't cheap out now.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
It will get tracked, and this is Texas so better to pay the piper now than risk any oil / heat issue at the track.

SMH.......:banghead:

merlinmol
08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Keeping the engine bone stock to maintain full warranty. It will get tracked, and this is Texas so better to pay the piper now than risk any oil / heat issue at the track.

As an engineer myself, I'd be fairly certain a cost conscious company like Ford wouldn't call out such a high spec oil unless they truly saw the need. If it is only truly required for certain scenarios then so be it. So we know that the ECU
will dial back the engine if oil temp gets too high. What I don't know is if they move set point up in the track pack calibration to take advantage of the better heat resistance of the heavier full synthetic. I have been told that the regular GT (non BOSS) guys tend to run into heat limits at the track.

Paid good coin and special ordered to get the track pack, won't cheap out now.

I can't blame you there, however, mine is modified. I need a better oil for racing, RP HPS is for modified street/race, and XPR is race, I don't race enough to justify the cost of running XPR all the time. However, those oils all have performance additives which will typically void warranty. Pretty sure I did that adding a supercharger and a custom tune.... :drool2:

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I can't blame you there, however, mine is modified. I need a better oil for racing, RP HPS is for modified street/race, and XPR is race, I don't race enough to justify the cost of running XPR all the time. However, those oils all have performance additives which will typically void warranty. Pretty sure I did that adding a supercharger and a custom tune.... :drool2:

The best racing oil is the cheapest. Ask Toby. Valvoline VR1

merlinmol
08-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Hmm, I just read this, be curious if anyone has actually done true testing on it. Almost everyone I see that races uses Amsoil, or RP's race oils.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/1646912-vr1-racing-oil-isnt-the-oil-we-thought-it-was.html

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Hmm, I just read this, be curious if anyone has actually done true testing on it. Almost everyone I see that races uses Amsoil, or RP's race oils.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/1646912-vr1-racing-oil-isnt-the-oil-we-thought-it-was.html

Jeez.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/Forced%20Performance%20Recommendations%20for%20Mot or%20Oil.pdf

merlinmol
08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Jeez.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/Forced%20Performance%20Recommendations%20for%20Mot or%20Oil.pdf

I did more searching and found other stuff that gave different info. Some like the valvoline, others don't. Don't think we are going to find any articles that are spot on. This is the first mention I have ever seen that Valvoline VR1 is awesome, most people go Amsoil, or RP, and I have been happy so far.

Oxford14Stang
08-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Base model 5.0 using 5W20 ....... FTW :signs6:

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Base model 5.0 using 5W20 ....... FTW :signs6:

5w-20 pennzoil ultra here!

Dominic Toretto
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
So just so I understand this correctly. The exact same car/engine requires a completely different oil because it comes with better brakes, sway bars, and other handling upgrades?

-Alex

ochoblanco
08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
So just so I understand this correctly. The exact same car/engine requires a completely different oil because it comes with better brakes, sway bars, and other handling upgrades?

-Alex

It's the idea that the car will be tracked similar to the boss: heavily. Or at least it was built to be tracked heavily. I don't track mine much so I use Amsoil 10.40 Sig Series

re-rx7
08-14-2013, 11:21 AM

-Alex

It's a precaution because track condition are more severe.

JDMLOL
08-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Funny thing is, technically the warranty is void when you have an issue due to racing. Lol. Why should they care?

Dominic Toretto
08-15-2013, 11:29 AM

What about daily driving street conditions?

-Alex

BLK2012GT
08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Shit I use 20W50 amsoil.

Torsion
09-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I got a little better pricing from the Frisco Ford dealer's parts department last time I bought 5w-50.

I'm track pack too, and I'm stickin' with Motorcraft.

Slowstang1_jgw
09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
For everday driving 5W20 is good, if you take it to the track/course or whatever a thicker wieght would be the choice.

If anyone wants a to take there oil anlysis to the next level let me know. On the weekend once a month (Drill for the USAFR) I can burn a JOAP of your oil sample.

We do this after every flight on the F-16 to give us info on the engine.

JDBishopArts
09-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm running 5w20 Mobil 1. Always run Mobil 1 with no issues. On boosted and non boosted cars. I wanted to run Amsoil but I couldn't find a dealer that didnt' want an arm and a leg. I'll order it next time.

The track pack does require you run ford recommend oil to retain the warranty.

El_Tortuga
09-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I got a little better pricing from the Frisco Ford dealer's parts department last time I bought 5w-50.

I'm track pack too, and I'm stickin' with Motorcraft.

Thanks. I'll remember to check that on the next round.

El_Tortuga
04-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks. I'll remember to check that on the next round.

Should have remembered to check. I went down to 5-star in Carrollton yesterday and they've jacked the price up from $9.90/qt to $14.84/qt. Crazy!!! Bought it online for just under $10/qt.

TwoQuack
04-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Same spec for the Aluminators and all Roush cars.

Toby
04-17-2014, 09:13 PM

VR1 is junk plain and simple. Last engine I tore apart that was using VR1 had an 1/8 inch of sludge in the oil pan. I would not recommend that crap to anyone. Personally I like mobil 1 but have recently become a fan of amsoil. We are a dealer and regularly stock it at the shop with a few select filters.

Just my .02

Crimson600+HP
04-17-2014, 09:15 PM
If you heavy road track your car is it recommended to run 5w-50? Just curious, anything to help my overheating problems on the track. Currently run 5w-30.

El_Tortuga
04-17-2014, 09:34 PM
If you heavy road track your car is it recommended to run 5w-50? Just curious, anything to help my overheating problems on the track. Currently run 5w-30.

Doubt that it will help the overheat, but should help protect the engine at the high temps.

Crimson600+HP
04-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Anything helps at this point. With the recent quote on my hail damage from USAA ($1k) I will be going to a collision place for a full quote. If they can cut me a better quote, I will just keep the cash as the damage is hard to see. Use that to fund maybe a new radiator and tiger racing hood. Trying my best to cool the engine down, so if the oil can help, I'm all for it.

garner
04-18-2014, 03:38 AM
Anything helps at this point. With the recent quote on my hail damage from USAA ($1k) I will be going to a collision place for a full quote. If they can cut me a better quote, I will just keep the cash as the damage is hard to see. Use that to fund maybe a new radiator and tiger racing hood. Trying my best to cool the engine down, so if the oil can help, I'm all for it.

Paceline on veterans is really good(they've done the work on all my cars) but they're pricey. Might wanna see what caliber quotes, I've heard they're good too

Soulowd
04-18-2014, 04:47 AM
I have track pack as well and I'm sticking with factory specs as well. There is a brand called Redline that a lot of ppl swear by but I've also heard there is a Mobil 1 in 5w50. I know for sure that there is no Royal Purple at that weight

Toby
04-18-2014, 01:32 PM

If you are having that big of an issue with heat which would not surprise me with the large intercooler in front of the radiator. I would suggest going with a larger radiator along with doing a remote mounted oil filter and adding a large air to air oil cooler. That should remedy your heat issues.

We can get you the components needed for this modification if you are interested.

Oh and yes run a thicker oil when you track it. It may not affect cooling but it will definately help to protect the bearings will the huge amount of stress you are putting them under with the power and extended runs at the track.

Disturbed
04-18-2014, 02:18 PM
I wanted to jump in and give some useful advice on this thread regarding the 5w50 motorcraft.

Ford is obviously going to recommend their own brand. But this is an "intended use" package on this car, and therefore Ford assumes at least one of us will actually do extreme track work and doesnt want the motor seizing up. Currently, if your a worry wort about your warranty, you can only use Motorcraft 5w50 or you can use the Castrol Syntec 5w50. These as far as I know are the only two Ford will recognize as being covered under warranty due to the specific certifications.

However, UOA's have already shown that 10w30 Amsoil, and even Royal Purple are superior, at least on the analysis sheet. Ford's engineers are not stupid, but what their not telling you, is about the quality of their oil. Under street racing conditions or light tracking, the 5w50 Motorcraft is shearing to a light 5w40 at running tempurature. Under extreme conditions, its even shearing down to a heavy 5w30.

By this, I would rather run a quality oil thats ALWAYS a 30w oil with minimal shearing. Amsoil 10w30 is my choice. And the 10w is soley because we live in Texas.

With a quality 30w, your going to have the same if not better protection, and slightly improved fuel mileage. If your worried about warranty, you can use the cheaper Motorcraft. The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack AND non boss cars. They assume its your daily driver (the base model), not a race car.

Pick the oil for your intended use, and pick a quality one. :Bye:

Edited for JDMLOL's reading pleasure

JDMLOL
04-18-2014, 03:40 PM
The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack / boss cars

They don't expect boss cars to be on a track???

Disturbed
04-18-2014, 04:37 PM
They don't expect boss cars to be on a track???

You misunderstand

The same engine is in all three trims. The oil changes to 5w50 in their higher trims because they expect them to be driven hard.
I think you know what I meant.

JDMLOL
04-18-2014, 04:47 PM
You misunderstand

The same engine is in all three trims. The oil changes to 5w50 in their higher trims because they expect them to be driven hard.

I think you know what I meant.

I do understand fully. I just expected the boss to be the most track-oriented of the bunch...

re-rx7
04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils.

Crimson600+HP
04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I didn't know that the Boss and track pack cars ran 5w-50 for protection reasons. Given the nature of how I treat my car, I think this is probably the right move to do.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 01:29 PM
I didn't know that the Boss and track pack cars ran 5w-50 for protection reasons. Given the nature of how I treat my car, I think this is probably the right move to do.

They do, and they both use the same radiator, and engine oil cooler.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils.

Hard to argue with oil analysis. But do educate me sir.

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Study hard.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Study hard.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I have been on that site more then enough. Its nothing new to people who want to know about oil. I am more interested in exactly what it is that your questioning about my oil knowledge. So, if your just going to generalize a lack of knowledge and post "101" links... its not sufficient. Let me know.

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
However, UOA's have already shown that 10w30 Amsoil, and even Royal Purple are superior, at least on the analysis sheet. Ford's engineers are not stupid, but what their not telling you, is about the quality of their oil. Under street racing conditions or light tracking, the 5w50 Motorcraft is shearing to a light 5w40 at running tempurature. Under extreme conditions, its even shearing down to a heavy 5w30.

By this, I would rather run a quality oil thats ALWAYS a 30w oil with minimal shearing. Amsoil 10w30 is my choice. And the 10w is soley because we live in Texas.

With a quality 30w, your going to have the same if not better protection, and slightly improved fuel mileage. If your worried about warranty, you can use the cheaper Motorcraft. The same engine runs 5w20 in non track pack AND non boss cars. They assume its your daily driver (the base model), not a race car.

Pick the oil for your intended use, and pick a quality one.

Let me ask you this. WHat kinf od wear does that 50 put on an engine at startup?

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Let me ask you this. WHat kinf od wear does that 50 put on an engine at startup?

At startup? The 50 isnt as relevant for startup protection as the the first Winter grade number is, and what your particular climate is. Startup engine protection relies heavily on the cold viscosity of your winter grade. Not sure if your attempting to troll or what, because you have yet to actually tell me where the flaw is in said knowledge. If the next response is anything but, I will probably move on to other, more important threads.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But when someone shares knowledge of something they have looked deeply into to help those with questions, theres usually better and / or more detailed responses then "You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils." How about you share your knowledge, instead of making a generalized browbeat of others, and leave some details as to how you came to that conclusion.

BV600
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Great thread I read awhile back on SVTP suggest you 5w-50 users/believers to read.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?805918-Official-GT-5-0-Boss-302-UOA-thread&highlight=viscosity

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Great thread I read awhile back on SVTP suggest you 5w-50 users/believers to read.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?805918-Official-GT-5-0-Boss-302-UOA-thread&highlight=viscosity

Thanks for chiming in.
Looks like Motorcraft 5W-50 shears from 30%-38%
Amsoil Shears 1%-4%

Motorcraft Virgin Viscosity to Used Viscosity - 19.9 - 12.5
Amsoil - 10.5 - 10.1

Might I also add that the motorcraft results were from an engine with 3,800 miles
The amsoil was with 38,000 miles

lol... Just saying... Motorcraft is not great oil. Its sufficient

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
At startup? The 50 isnt as relevant for startup protection as the the first Winter grade number is, and what your particular climate is. Startup engine protection relies heavily on the cold viscosity of your winter grade. Not sure if your attempting to troll or what, because you have yet to actually tell me where the flaw is in said knowledge. If the next response is anything but, I will probably move on to other, more important threads.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But when someone shares knowledge of something they have looked deeply into to help those with questions, theres usually better and / or more detailed responses then "You guys are all very off on your understanding of motor oils." How about you share your knowledge, instead of making a generalized browbeat of others, and leave some details as to how you came to that conclusion.

My point is simple. YOu dont always have to have a thicker oil if your going to be racing. Conditions are the biggest consideration and a thicker oil can do more harm then good in some situations. In my mind there is no need for a 50 in the stang. Wouldnt you agree?

I use a Penn ultra and it is better then entry level AMsoil in alot of test at a far cheaper price.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
My point is simple. YOu dont always have to have a thicker oil if your going to be racing. Conditions are the biggest consideration and a thicker oil can do more harm then good in some situations. In my mind there is no need for a 50 in the stang. Wouldnt you agree?

I use a Penn ultra and it is better then entry level AMsoil in alot of test at a far cheaper price.

Yes I understand your point. This is exactly why I chose a non-shearing 30w for my own car. What you dont realize is why ford suggests the 50 weight. Its because that garbage shears down to a 30 if your actually going hard on the track in the summer time.

They dont expect it to be a 50 at running temp at the track. 50 would be overkill IF it stayed at 50. But it doesnt.

And, thicker oil like 50w doesnt mean shit for startup. 0w50 in harsh winter cold start = fine.
If you run 15w20 in the winter, its just as bad as 15w50. First number is the key for startup. Again, its the winter grade number that determines its cold start viscosity. If Ford's oil didnt shear 1/3 of its viscosity under tracking then they would be suggesting lighter oil. Period.

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Yes I understand your point. This is exactly why I chose a non-shearing 30w for my own car. What you dont realize is why ford suggests the 50 weight. Its because that garbage shears down to a 30 if your actually going hard on the track in the summer time.

They dont expect it to be a 50 at running temp at the track. 50 would be overkill IF it stayed at 50. But it doesnt.

And, thicker oil like 50w doesnt mean shit for startup. 0w50 in harsh winter cold start = fine.
If you run 15w20 in the winter, its just as bad as 15w50. First number is the key for startup. Again, its the winter grade number that determines its cold start viscosity. If Ford's oil didnt shear 1/3 of its viscosity under tracking then they would be suggesting lighter oil. Period.

Obviously. I do believe amsoil to be overpriced.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Obviously. I do believe amsoil to be overpriced.

Subjective really... how much is too much for quality? But when compared to other high quality oils, I agree its got a high price tag. Sucks.

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Well Like I was saying. You can get Penn Ultra for around 27$ at walmart for 5gts. Its better then the Entry level Amsoil for 10$ a qt.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Well Like I was saying. You can get Penn Ultra for around 27$ at walmart for 5gts. Its better then the Entry level Amsoil for 10$ a qt.

My only comparison is with SS Amsoil... signature series that is. Its an acutal REAL fully synthetic... not one that is just labeled "full synthetic" which started as mineral crude oil and refined so much that it became synthetic.

Pennzoil is awesome oil, I agree. But it doesnt beat the SS line on UOA's.

Also... I did notice how the subject on the oil suddenly changed to pricing.

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
I cant justify paying 10-15$ a quart for minor track days. For 99% of people a good 5w-20 is fine.

Ive owned a many RX7 and there is no engine harder on oil then a rotary. Thats where I learned all of oil knowledge.

BV600
04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Amsoil isn't priced that bad, I can get it for well under $10 a quart. I ran 10w30 SS on my first procharged coyote which seen 200mph, the autobahn, the ring. I used it on my ZO6 also and will be using it on my 14 GT procharged.

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Amsoil isn't priced that bad, I can get it for well under $10 a quart. I ran 10w30 SS on my first procharged coyote which seen 200mph, the autobahn, the ring. I used it on my ZO6 also and will be using it on my 14 GT procharged.

+1

I am getting my oil for 9 bucks or so a quart through a generous friend. :driver:

Disturbed
04-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I cant justify paying 10-15$ a quart for minor track days. For 99% of people a good 5w-20 is fine.

Ive owned a many RX7 and there is no engine harder on oil then a rotary. Thats where I learned all of oil knowledge.

15 bucks a quart? Are you looking at refined liquid gold to lubricate your engine?

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Ive some oils reach 15$. Amsoil included. I will stick with my Penn Ultra and Wix.

BV600
04-21-2014, 09:49 PM
+1

I am getting my oil for 9 bucks or so a quart through a generous friend. :driver:

I just looked it up I can get the 10w30 SS well under that:driver:

Ive some oils reach 15$. Amsoil included. I will stick with my Penn Ultra and Wix.

That's craziness for oil prices, the most I see in my catalog is for 10.42.

Dominic Toretto
04-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Get mine at $6.00 a quart.

-Alex

re-rx7
04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Damn must be a Dallas thing. I still prefer the Ultra though. The availabilty makes the choice.

Dominic Toretto
04-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Damn must be a Dallas thing. I still prefer the Ultra though. The availabilty makes the choice.

Can't knock convenience.

-Alex