PDA

View Full Version : oxfordstang vs dirty d

OG Fox
08-08-2013, 05:03 PM
a lil mexico action tRrJXJSrjJI

Grandpa
08-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Looks like D and I need to run for the title of the slowest cars on the board! lol

Oxford14Stang
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Looks like D and I need to run for the title of the slowest cars on the board! lol

Lol oh dear. Steve tell you what. Call out ThelandShark

thelandshark
08-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Lol that's messed up oxford I only got a Lil stock v6

Grandpa
08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
If I can't beat a V6 Stang, I need to go to trade my junk in on a Beetle. lol

blownaltered
08-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Did you really have to race that many times to prove which car was faster. I think 2 and you should have figured it out.

Dan12GT
08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Did you really have to race that many times to prove which car was faster. I think 2 and you should have figured it out.

^^ This guy...

Oxford14Stang
08-09-2013, 12:19 AM

We where out there having fun. We did some 40 rolls, than 50-60 rolls as well. The first run was very close as we expected it would of been. DirtyD also wanted to try a different shift point on a couple runs. All in all they were great runs and we will run them as much as we want :)

Slow Five-O
08-09-2013, 12:40 AM

Pffffffff

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Something isn't right with the car. It might be the intake, but I'm starting to think now that my tune may be part of it...

We where out there having fun. We did some 40 rolls, than 50-50 rolls as well. The first run was very close as we expected it would of been. DirtyD also wanted to try a different shift point on a couple runs. All in all they were great runs and we will run them as much as we want :)
Like Jay said, he was shifting much sooner than I was, so I wanted to see if I could do a earlier shift and keep up with him.

We were having some fun, but I got locked out of 5th a couple times, so that kind of killed it for me. That first race we were neck and neck until 5th gear decided it didn't want to play nice.

GunsUp
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Derek next time you should try setting up another camera on the speedo. It shouldn't have been THAT bad... Just saying

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Bama Tunes suck ;) Oxford we must kung fu fight!

Oxford14Stang
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Derek next time you should try setting up another camera on the speedo. It shouldn't have been THAT bad... Just saying

It wasn't "THAT bad" to begin with. D is working on getting his O/R/X and a new tune and we will rerun them

Oxford14Stang
08-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Bama Tunes suck ;) Oxford we must kung fu fight!

Draw your weapon!!

ochoblanco
08-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Something isn't right with the car. It might be the intake, but I'm starting to think now that my tune may be part of it...

Like Jay said, he was shifting much sooner than I was, so I wanted to see if I could do a earlier shift and keep up with him.

We were having some fun, but I got locked out of 5th a couple times, so that kind of killed it for me. That first race we were neck and neck until 5th gear decided it didn't want to play nice.

Get the offroad mid, hopefully snag a used Airraid off a forum and have Bama adjust your tune. I bet that gets you to the desired hp you are looking for. IMO at least

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Only way to do that would be using my phone, but I don't have 3 hands...

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Get the offroad mid, hopefully snag a used Airraid off a forum and have Bama adjust your tune. I bet that gets you to the desired hp you are looking for. IMO at least
JPC, not Bama. LOL

I'm picking up a used JLT CF intake on Sunday, and then I will be getting back with Eric at JPC about some possible issues with my tune, of which I need to run some datalogging first to confirm/dismiss my suspicion(s). Then cat deletes should be on come September or October.

Phuck Phace
08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Camera car won.

Oxford14Stang
08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Camera car won.

..... damnit. Was hoping that wasn't going to come up again lol. Any chance no one saw you fly by us?

JDMLOL
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Camera car won.

Trolol.

Grandpa
08-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Camera car won a trip to the shop

ftfy

46Tbird
08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
ftfy

Oops. :pp:

Derek, these cars don't want to be short-shifted, and they DAMN sure don't like to bounce the rev limiter. Mine is stock tune, but my best times have been right on the edge of the limiter.

Courtesy Flush
08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
..... damnit. Was hoping that wasn't going to come up again lol. Any chance no one saw you fly by us?

I seent it!
As usual 11-12>13-14

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Oops. :pp:

Derek, these cars don't want to be short-shifted, and they DAMN sure don't like to bounce the rev limiter. Mine is stock tune, but my best times have been right on the edge of the limiter.
I never bounced the limiter, I was shifting about as close to 7k as I could get it.

As for short shifting, I was referring to maybe shifting at 6800 or so as compared to 7000.

Our difference in tire height gave Jay 150 RPM advantage on me on when he shifted.

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I never bounced the limiter, I was shifting about as close to 7k as I could get it.

As for short shifting, I was referring to maybe shifting at 6800 or so as compared to 7000.

Our difference in tire height gave Jay 150 RPM advantage on me on when he shifted.

Im 3:31's just curious how that will work out when I race Oxford.

Grandpa
08-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Ok Derek, let's race buddy. Lets see who is slower. lol

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Im 3:31's just curious how that will work out when I race Oxford.
You are an automatic, right?

Ok Derek, let's race buddy. Lets see who is slower. lol
Let me switch back to the stock box and we will see. I know you will likely beat me. By how much, who knows.

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
You are an automatic, right?.

Nope M6

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Nope M6
Assuming you have 235/50/18 tires as well...

Jay = 3.55 and 235/50/18
2nd gear @ 50 = 5320 RPM

You = 3.31 and 235/50/18
2nd gear @ 50 = 4961 RPM

By the end of 3rd gear, if Jay were to shift perfectly at 7000 RPM, you would be almost 500 RPM behind him before you needed to shift.

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Assuming you have 235/50/18 tires as well...

Jay = 3.55 and 235/50/18
2nd gear @ 50 = 5320 RPM

You = 3.31 and 235/50/18
2nd gear @ 50 = 4961 RPM

By the end of 3rd gear, if Jay were to shift perfectly at 7000 RPM, you would be almost 500 RPM behind him before you needed to shift.

Each shift you will lose a lil momentum. I figure its gna be about dead nuts even.

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Each shift you will lose a lil momentum. I figure its gna be about dead nuts even.
But he will still rev slightly faster than you, and when you shift, the ground you gain will be negated by the ground he takes back.

Trust me, it will be close, but you won't win. Your gears just won't let you.

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
But he will still rev slightly faster than you, and when you shift, the ground you gain will be negated by the ground he takes back.

Trust me, it will be close, but you won't win. Your gears just won't let you.

having 3:73's would be worse then 3:31's.

DirtyD
08-09-2013, 04:46 PM
having 3:73's would be worse then 3:31's.
WTF? Surely you can't be serious......

Exactly how do you think that would be worse?

A car with 3.73s would edge out a car with 3.55s

re-rx7
08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Depends on where my friend. On the hwy it's a different story. Ask me how I know.

STROKD
08-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Lol oh dear. Steve tell you what. Call out ThelandShark

STOP LETTING OUT!

oh and good races.

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Depends on where my friend. On the hwy it's a different story. Ask me how I know.

In a top speed run, you have the advantage. Other than that, the 3.73s will give the other guy a full second or two sooner shift than you have, depending on tire height. As long as traction isn't an issue, the 3.73 will beat you.

03MachMe
08-10-2013, 01:12 AM
In a top speed run, you have the advantage. Other than that, the 3.73s will give the other guy a full second or two sooner shift than you have, depending on tire height. As long as traction isn't an issue, the 3.73 will beat you.

Is this based upon on your vast racing experience? From a dig the 3.73 car will have the advantage, from a roll it depends on what speed you start at, amount of power, etc. More gear does not always equal faster. Ok could see a 3.31 car beat a 3.73 car on the hwy in certain situations. That's assuming drivers are equal which they never are.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 03:14 AM
For every shift he loses momentum. The higher geared car stays in gear longer makes a diff.

Grandpa
08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Is this based upon on your vast racing experience? From a dig the 3.73 car will have the advantage, from a roll it depends on what speed you start at, amount of power, etc. More gear does not always equal faster. Ok could see a 3.31 car beat a 3.73 car on the hwy in certain situations. That's assuming drivers are equal which they never are.

I agree with you, Ryan. The more he posts on this stuff the more it shows he doesn't have a lot of racing experience. Racing math does apply to a degree to very generally guess how a pair of cars might match up, but to narrow it down to say a 3.73 vs 3.31 car like they did is complete nonsense. They are WAY too many variables in a race between two different cars and drivers to say what will for sure happen. The only way to know for sure is to put the calculator down and actually race.

Grandpa
08-10-2013, 09:14 AM
For every shift he loses momentum. The higher geared car stays in gear longer makes a diff.

I disagree. Besides, the differences between 3.73s and 3.31's are very minimal.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I disagree. Besides, the differences between 3.73s and 3.31's are very minimal.

I agree that its minimal at best. I raced one with 3:73's and close to the same mods I have and I put on him couple cars. Then again drivers.

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm applying this to the fact that they both have the same mods, and are running the same tires. Yeah, I know I haven't raced much, I'm not trying to prove that. But if you have two cars that are basically the same mods, same power level, same tune, etc, and the only difference is gears and driver, it's a pretty good guarantee they 3.73 car will take the advantage over the 3.31 car, starting at the same speed, because the 3.73 car will have the ability to reach the shift points at a sooner time. I don't really understand the argument on shifting. If you know what you're doing, you aren't taking your sweet time rowing gears in a race, so shifting is negated, as I said before, since the ground that is gained when the other shifts is lost as soon as you shift.

Grandpa
08-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Lol just stop. You need more seat time to learn and put down the calculator.

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Lol just stop. You need more seat time to learn and put down the calculator.

I know I need more seat time. Do you see me denying that?

I can't afford (time and money) to hit the track every weekend to, especially when the nearest track worth racing on is about 1 hour away.

Call me a bench racer. IDGAFFMF!

All I'm doing is using the fact and information currently available to me to form an opinion.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I know I need more seat time. Do you see me denying that?

I can't afford (time and money) to hit the track every weekend to, especially when the nearest track worth racing on is about 1 hour away.

Call me a bench racer. IDGAFFMF!

All I'm doing is using the fact and information currently available to me to form an opinion.

You dont need a track for seat time. I learned late at night, on backroads, pick up races on the hwy. Shit just drive it man. Besides what would a track have to do with this race?

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 03:11 PM
You dont need a track for seat time. I learned late at night, on backroads, pick up races on the hwy. Shit just drive it man. Besides what would a track have to do with this race?

I work. I have a dog to take care of. I have a life outside of the car scene. I can't afford to just go drive around right now. If I were still in college, maybe. I can't just head out during the night and drive around. Believe me, I would love to, but not at the scarification of sleep that could possibly affect my job performance. And unfortunately pick up races just don't seem to find me on the highway. And I surely won't do it in traffic out of the safety of others.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
I work. I have a dog to take care of. I have a life outside of the car scene. I can't afford to just go drive around right now. If I were still in college, maybe. I can't just head out during the night and drive around. Believe me, I would love to, but not at the scarification of sleep that could possibly affect my job performance. And unfortunately pick up races just don't seem to find me on the highway. And I surely won't do it in traffic out of the safety of others.

Man your dense. I work as well. "Feel" your car....

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Man your dense. I work as well. "Feel" your car....

I'm dense? Haha. Funny. Why not just say "feel the car" to begin with?

I drive the car daily. I have a good feel for the car. I'm not going to race it everywhere though, and most of the time I'm on the road is when I'm coming home from work, or have other passengers with me, of which I really don't race when that happens, unless I know the passenger doesn't mind. I don't just get in, drive to work, then get out. I do have fun with it and drive it hard sometimes. But a lot of the time I'm not in a good position (location, traffic, time frame, etc) where I can just go out and drive it. That is what I was saying above.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm dense? Haha. Funny. Why not just say "feel the car" to begin with?

I drive the car daily. I have a good feel for the car. I'm not going to race it everywhere though, and most of the time I'm on the road is when I'm coming home from work, or have other passengers with me, of which I really don't race when that happens, unless I know the passenger doesn't mind. I don't just get in, drive to work, then get out. I do have fun with it and drive it hard sometimes. But a lot of the time I'm not in a good position (location, traffic, time frame, etc) where I can just go out and drive it. That is what I was saying above.

:snoopfacepalm:

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 04:14 PM
How about I just come back after 10 years of driving my car and start again?...

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 04:14 PM
How about I just come back after 10 years of driving my car and start again?...
:gay:

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 04:17 PM
:gay:

Oh, so that still doesn't account for getting seat time and learning the car?

DirtyD
08-10-2013, 04:19 PM
If you want to prove anything, I will be at Ennis next weekend if you want to come beat me with with your car.

I'll gladly be waiting. I will never go to Northstar.

re-rx7
08-10-2013, 04:31 PM
If you want to prove anything, I will be at Ennis next weekend if you want to come beat me with with your car.

I'll gladly be waiting. I will never go to Northstar.

Seen the other post. You see what we have here is trouble with distance. Im sure in time I will meet you.

Boomer
08-10-2013, 05:07 PM
So back to the race :) looks fun indeed, and yeah that camera car hauled ass!!

Oxford14Stang
08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I hate to bring this back up. But I had 3.31s from the factory, swapped it for 3.55s why? 3.55s were dead split in the middle for drag and hwy rolls. I love the 3.55s and the 3.31s are great too. Ask David(phuck face) but 3.31s vs 3.73s would be real close. Yes the 3.73 would accelerate faster but durning the shift the 33.1s will pull back the ground and if a good driver wouldn't matter. Over all it'd boil down to a driver race not who has what gears. I can slam gears pretty damn quick so it doesn't matter to me. I have a video of me running two deep(my girl as camera holder)(him by himself) against another 5.0 with the same mods but he had 3.73 gears. And from a 40 roll to 140-145 I pulled him by almost a car both races. His shifting seemed legit. So its all in how the car feels and driver

ochoblanco
08-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Dirty: let me know when you're at Ennis. I'm looking to take the Boss on a few runs and Ennis is my preferred track.

IMO roll racing isn't racing...racing from a dig is racing

PLASMAN
08-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Dirty:

Agreed minor bolt on cars roll racing is a waste. If you cant launch it and control the power then you shouldn't be racing.

Big builds that cry they cant hook up and have to roll race perhaps you need a new builder and to work on suspension and technique.

El_Tortuga
08-11-2013, 02:17 PM
camera car won.

lol

sasquash1984
08-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Dirty: let me know when you're at Ennis. I'm looking to take the Boss on a few runs and Ennis is my preferred track.

This

Grandpa
08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Agreed minor bolt on cars roll racing is a waste. If you cant launch it and control the power then you shouldn't be racing.

Big builds that cry they cant hook up and have to roll race perhaps you need a new builder and to work on suspension and technique.

Respectfully, most people who say that have never been in a 1000rw street car to get why its so fun. Its just something you have to expierence for yourself. Its a rush like no other.

Oxford14Stang
08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

I love to run from a dig. But sometimes, and JUST sometimes I'm not always in the mode to launch my car and eat 2/32nds of thread, put all the stress on the drive train ect. that comes from dig races. roll races are just as much as a "race" as a dig. techniques still exist on roll races, don't see how you figure any different.

PLASMAN
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Respectfully, most people who say that have never been in a 1000rw street car to get why its so fun. Its just something you have to expierence for yourself. Its a rush like no other.

Agreed most people...

downtime!
08-11-2013, 06:13 PM
The only real race is from a dig. But I also don't street race, so take it for what it's worth. Too many variables you can't control on a city street, bump, dips, dipshits, cars turning or pulling out, LEO's hidden from view, just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Oxford14Stang
08-11-2013, 09:20 PM
The only real race is from a dig. But I also don't street race, so take it for what it's worth. Too many variables you can't control on a city street, bump, dips, dipshits, cars turning or pulling out, LEO's hidden from view, just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

For the most part we never ran the cars while there were any cars in front of us, and made sure we had a clear shot. In one run we did come up on traffic pretty quick but it happens. Generally two cars doing hwy rolls are somewhat as safe as doing it on the track. as long as no traffic is in front of you.

ochoblanco
08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Roll racing is less about the driver and more about the car. I enjoy it as much as the next guy. That being said I don't think it requires as much technique or skill as pure drag racing at a track. I do agree that going from a dig will eat up your tires and wear on your tranny but that's part of racing...

Oxford14Stang
08-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Shifting, knowing when to shift all play a factor in roll racing. And when it comes to lower rolls were spinning comes into play, it takes a driver to control/stop it. Driver always plays a huge part IMO at least whenever it comes to any sort of racing.

Grandpa
08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Roll racing a 500rw car doesnt take much skill. A 1000rw+ car is a different story entirely. Those cars are monsters and a handful to drive.

ochoblanco
08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Shifting, knowing when to shift all play a factor in roll racing. And when it comes to lower rolls were spinning comes into play, it takes a driver to control/stop it. Driver always plays a huge part IMO at least whenever it comes to any sort of racing.

I will leave it as we just disagree. I sure do love to roll race in Mexico but I know it's not a true test of my racing abilities or disabilities :)

Slow Five-O
08-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Which is multiplied even more so when racing from a dig. It takes skill in setting up a car and practice as a driver from a dig.

Any skill that has to be utilized from a roll has to be thrice as good from a dig.

Oxford14Stang
08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Agree with all statements above. But Derek and I wanted to see how the cars compared with almost identical mods. That's all. I love dig races and will run from one any time. Don't let my stupid comments above fool you lol. Ochoblanco we are not disagreeing I'm agreeing with you.

DirtyD
08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Exactly. Jay and I were curious how our cars stacked up against each other. By choosing hwy rolls we were able to eliminate the errors that could occur during dig races, I.e. Traction, suspension, etc, since we both has a different wheel/tire setup and such.

As ochoblanco, roll racing is about the cars. Each of us are pretty close in driving ability, and we now know that my tune needs a slight revision to give it back it's edge up top, as well as a different intake.