PDA

View Full Version : Boss 302 Speedometer Swap

Dominic Toretto
08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Anyone know if this is possible into a regular GT and what would be needed to calibrate it?

-Alex

JDBishopArts
08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
No offense but you have the weirdest mod priority I've ever seen. lol

Dominic Toretto
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
No offense but you have the weirdest mod priority I've ever seen. lol

None taken. Was just seeing if it were possible and what would be needed for this :)

-Alex

Dan12GT
08-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I think its doable just swap in the gauges and have the dealer re-program everything. I'm sure taking the dash apart is no fun task.

Dominic Toretto
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I think its doable just swap in the gauges and have the dealer re-program everything. I'm sure taking the dash apart is no fun task.

I think it would be pretty cool. Not sure why the 5.0s didn't come with that speedo to begin with.

-Alex

03MachMe
08-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I think it would be pretty cool. Not sure why the 5.0s didn't come with that speedo to begin with.

-Alex

I agree I would like to change mine as well. if you ever do this let me know how much of a PITA it is

DirtyD
08-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I want to swap in a 2011-2012 Premium cluster in my car. Time to scan some junk yards

Courtesy Flush
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Install of Boss 302 guages on a premium 11-12 car.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/902848-busy-day-today-new-mods-warning.html

Where he bought the gauge face piece.
http://www.blackcatcustom.com/

DirtyD
08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Install of Boss 302 guages on a premium 11-12 car.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/902848-busy-day-today-new-mods-warning.html

Where he bought the gauge face piece.
http://www.blackcatcustom.com/
He didn't install an actual Boss gauge cluster, but just had replica gauge faces made. A real Boss gauge cluster is $1300....

I'm trying to find a 2011-2012 premium gauge cluster right now that I can swap into my car....

Courtesy Flush
08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
He didn't install an actual Boss gauge cluster, but just had replica gauge faces made. A real Boss gauge cluster is $1300....

I'm trying to find a 2011-2012 premium gauge cluster right now that I can swap into my car....

Sorry if i wasn't clear, this is not a real boss 302 gauge set in the thread linked. Rather a face plate swap.
For 90% less of a price vs genuine ford part, i don't think you can go wrong with this route.

Would probably require some cutting if you have track apps, otherwise it could be done.

03MachMe
08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Hmm that's all I want is the look plus don't have to re program any of the gauges

DirtyD
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Hmm that's all I want is the look plus don't have to re program any of the gauges

I want the 6 gauge readout, then Boss gauge overlay. Lol

03MachMe
08-08-2013, 01:14 AM
I want the 6 gauge readout, then Boss gauge overlay. Lol

Should have just got a premium lol

Dominic Toretto
08-08-2013, 08:13 AM
I want to swap in a 2011-2012 Premium cluster in my car. Time to scan some junk yards

Why? The oil pressure, water temp and voltmeter are there just for looks. They don't EVER move during operation.

Pretty sure the speedo would need to be programmed because the mph spacing would be different. Where it reads 80mph on our cars it would read 100mph on those speedos I believe.

A fellow Mustang guy at work says that since the entire cluster may be one piece it may be kind of difficult to swap the mileage.

-Alex

03MachMe
08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Why? The oil pressure, water temp and voltmeter are there just for looks. They don't EVER move during operation.

Pretty sure the speedo would need to be programmed because the mph spacing would be different. Where it reads 80mph on our cars it would read 100mph on those speedos I believe.

A fellow Mustang guy at work says that since the entire cluster may be one piece it may be kind of difficult to swap the mileage.

-Alex

Not those custom ones they are only 160mph just like the stock gt but boss style

Dominic Toretto
08-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Not those custom ones they are only 160mph just like the stock gt but boss style

Oh okay, gotcha.

-Alex

DirtyD
08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

-Alex
Because right now I have 2 readouts on my car, fuel and water temp. That's it. I'd like to at least have a watchful eye on the other 2, plus it doesn't give me a big empty space in the center of the gauge cluster.

What mine looks like (but a 160 speedo) -
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2010-ford-mustang-2-door-convertible-instrument-cluster_100248421_l.jpg

What I want -
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2011-ford-mustang-2-door-convertible-premium-instrument-cluster_100318273_l.jpg

Dominic Toretto
08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Oh okay, I see why then.

-Alex

El_Tortuga
08-08-2013, 01:46 PM

What???

I'm wanting to add oil pressure (good measure of lower end health and/or indicator of oiling issues), voltage (battery/charging system health), and oil temp (mostly just because - would only expect any question on extended high power runs like track days). I'm thinking the Laguna Seca Pod would be better choice than A-pillar mounts. I like analog, so not wanting the digital multigage route.

Dominic Toretto
08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
What???

The factory GT gauges are just there for show. The only gauges that are functional are the tach, speedo and fuel level.

-Alex

Courtesy Flush
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Because right now I have 2 readouts on my car, fuel and water temp. That's it. I'd like to at least have a watchful eye on the other 2, plus it doesn't give me a big empty space in the center of the gauge cluster.

Why not an aero force gauge and a roush vent pod.
Like so

JDMLOL
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2010-ford-mustang-2-door-convertible-instrument-cluster_100248421_l.jpg

What I want -
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2011-ford-mustang-2-door-convertible-premium-instrument-cluster_100318273_l.jpg

I hate the base gauges, the six dial is so much better looking.

Like so

That looks really good. I want the dual aeroforces, but I'll still have that empty space where the other two oem gauges would be.

DirtyD
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Like so

Because I still then have that empty space in the gauge cluster. Haha

The aero force will come around when I go boost.

El_Tortuga
08-09-2013, 10:33 PM
The factory GT gauges are just there for show. The only gauges that are functional are the tach, speedo and fuel level.

-Alex

LOL

Find it hard to believe that water temp is nonfunctional.

Mrjeremyt
08-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Not completely nonfunctional, but more of a dummy gauge. It will turn to hot when thw car hits 250 or so, but thats a computer generated number based on an average of cylinder head temp and coolant temp, and it will probably jump like a standard gauge would with an air pocket trapped in the cooling system.

Dominic Toretto
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
LOL

Find it hard to believe that water temp is nonfunctional.

Tell me how functional it is, when you can't tell if you are overheating. The water temp reaches the "normal" position in about 1 minute. That's unrealistic unless regular operating temp is around 160F and never moves from that position in stop-and-go traffic, parked, or any other situation in which you know your temp is changing. The oil pressure should change as rpms change. It stays exactly the same no matter if you are idling or redlining. Voltmeter doesn't really matter.

-Alex

El_Tortuga
08-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Tell me how functional it is, when you can't tell if you are overheating. -Alex

Tell me how functional it is, when you can't tell if you are overheating. The water temp reaches the "normal" position in about 1 minute. That's unrealistic unless regular operating temp is around 160F and never moves from that position in stop-and-go traffic, parked, or any other situation in which you know your temp is changing. The oil pressure should change as rpms change. It stays exactly the same no matter if you are idling or redlining. Voltmeter doesn't really matter.

-Alex

Are you aware how the thermostat and fan control works to maintain a fairly constant temp?

Here's a pretty good example of an overheating engine:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/El_Tortuga/null_zps840a02ae.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/El_Tortuga/media/null_zps840a02ae.jpg.html)

The boy didn't notice anything wrong until the idiot light came on. Had he done so, he could have pulled over to check it out, and would have noticed that the radiator split and was puking coolant out at a tremendous rate.

... The oil pressure should change as rpms change. It stays exactly the same no matter if you are idling or redlining...

-Alex

Sort of. Once the oil pressure gets up to the relief setting, it bypasses rest from there it will be essentially the same pressure.

Same pickup in the overheat picture is an older chevy. With 200K miles on the clock, it doesn't maintain solid oil pressure. When fully warmed up, it doesn't maintain "normal" oil pressure at idle and very low rpms. Obviously the clearance in the bearings and such have opened up somewhat and/or the oil pump doesn't put out the same volume it used to and/or the relief spring has softened up slightly. Its not so bad that I'm going to rebuild it, but I'm not planning on getting another 200K miles.

... Voltmeter doesn't really matter.

-Alex
it sure does when the alternator quits putting out a sufficient charge. I'd sure like to have a gauge to warn me that I'm fixing to have a problem.

Dominic Toretto
08-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Are you aware how the thermostat and fan control works to maintain a fairly constant temp?

Are you aware that the engine water temps are not at the same temperature 100% of the time? It would be nice for a $40k car to have gauges that let you know the precise engine temparature not as you put it "fairly constant temp." If these gauges were sufficient, then why don't you see such ambiguous gauges in racing applications?

Here's a pretty good example of an overheating engine:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/El_Tortuga/null_zps840a02ae.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/El_Tortuga/media/null_zps840a02ae.jpg.html)

The boy didn't notice anything wrong until the idiot light came on. Had he done so, he could have pulled over to check it out, and would have noticed that the radiator split and was puking coolant out at a tremendous rate.

I can't see that picture from my work computer but, it does prove my point. If the gauges would have been accurately reading a precise temperature, then anyone driving, that pays attention to the gauges cluster would have noticed the temperature beginning to rise, pulled over and greatly reduced engine damage.

Sort of. Once the oil pressure gets up to the relief setting, it bypasses rest from there it will be essentially the same pressure.

I've yet to see any car where the oil pressure stays the same at idle as it does at redline. Please explain further how you think this is possible.

Same pickup in the overheat picture is an older chevy. With 200K miles on the clock, it doesn't maintain solid oil pressure. When fully warmed up, it doesn't maintain "normal" oil pressure at idle and very low rpms. Obviously the clearance in the bearings and such have opened up somewhat and/or the oil pump doesn't put out the same volume it used to and/or the relief spring has softened up slightly. Its not so bad that I'm going to rebuild it, but I'm not planning on getting another 200K miles.

it sure does when the alternator quits putting out a sufficient charge. I'd sure like to have a gauge to warn me that I'm fixing to have a problem.

Wouldn't you like that with more important readings like oil pressure and water temp? How much is an alternator versus a rebuilt engine again?

-Alex

theduke
08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
There's plenty of room on the steering column to mount an Aeroforce gauge in a pod centered between the Speedo and Tach. You'd still see the upper two gauges just fine also. With a little finagling you might could even find a way to mount it up in that gap between the two since it's only 2 1/16" in diameter.