PDA

View Full Version : Self-Study: Automotive Service text book

JDMLOL
08-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Picked up Automotive Service by Tim Gilles for a little self study at half priced books. I eventually want to do the majority of my work myself such as engine rebuilds, maintenance, etc... It's very interesting so far, it has 74 in-depth chapters covering everything from safety to running an automotive business. Something I've already read in the footnotes that I found interesting was that theoretically the first 15 minutes of an engine's warm up cycle puts more wear on the motor than a 1000 mile trip at operating temperature. Thoughts on the book? Anyone doing anything similar?

Toby
08-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I went through 2 years of automotive school when I lived in Oklahoma. I obtained me ase certification in engine performance, steering and suspension, electrical 1, and brakes. Was a great experience and have me tons of knowledge about the basics and some generic info to build on. Oh and I also received my refrigerant license to buy and service ac systems.

JDMLOL
08-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I went through 2 years of automotive school when I lived in Oklahoma. I obtained me ase certification in engine performance, steering and suspension, electrical 1, and brakes. Was a great experience and have me tons of knowledge about the basics and some generic info to build on. Oh and I also received my refrigerant license to buy and service ac systems.

Sweet. Where did you go? I wouldn't mind doing an automotive program after school. I wonder if any reputable automotive schools offer a night/weekend program that can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

46Tbird
08-06-2013, 10:18 AM
My dad is an instructor at Lincoln Tech. He works in the auto body / collision department, but there is a general automotive course that you can take that will teach you most aspects of electrical/mechanical systems on modern cars. There is also a diesel course if you're interested in that. I can get you hooked up with a recruiter if this is something you might want to make a career of.

PS - It takes years of experience and good tools to make good money in the auto business. Good luck.

re-rx7
08-06-2013, 10:20 AM
My dad is an instructor at Lincoln Tech. He works in the auto body / collision department, but there is a general automotive course that you can take that will teach you most aspects of electrical/mechanical systems on modern cars. There is also a diesel course if you're interested in that. I can get you hooked up with a recruiter if this is something you might want to make a career of.

PS - It takes years of experience and good tools to make good money in the auto business. Good luck.

Truf. The hardest part of being a mechanic isnt the R/R its the diagnosing.

JDMLOL
08-06-2013, 11:04 AM

More for personal knowledge. I will have a degree in business admin with a focus in IT in December but I would love to take courses for general automotive knowledge. I wouldn't mind running some sort of shop sometime in the future.

Toby
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I went to southern Oklahoma technology center. It's basically a vocational school. They have auto body tech, welding etc.

DirtyD
08-06-2013, 11:45 AM
More for personal knowledge. I will have a degree in business admin with a focus in IT in December but I would love to take courses for general automotive knowledge. I wouldn't mind running some sort of shop sometime in the future.
This is what I want to do as well, for personal knowledge. But I don't like reading....

JDMLOL
08-06-2013, 12:59 PM
This is what I want to do as well, for personal knowledge. But I don't like reading....

I cant read it unless it's something I find interesting. The first book I have ever bought to read for fun was "Iron fist, lead foot" about the terminator program. The second book I've ever bought is this automotive text book.