PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

13BlueAngel
08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
my car when under load as in 60 mph 5th or 6th gear is very sluggish. have downshift to get it to wanna go. my dad has a Camaro yes I know booooooo but anyways he was told in his to put in the zr1 factory plug and it would be huge help. so we did this and yes tremendous difference. his car was acting the exact same way my 13 5.0 isw. did know if anyone knew of a plug that would fix this issue like it did for my car. ive considered trying the zr1 plug in my car but unsure of the idea. any help??

JDBishopArts
08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
It has nothing to do with the plugs. That's the nature of modular motors. You are in pretty low RPMs in 5th gear at 60. You should never stomp on it in 6th gear ever...ever ever. It is ONLY an overdrive gear. 5th gear is 1.1. You should only feel it really pull if you're over 4k rpm. Peak power is in the higher RPMs. These motors like to wind up. They are not like the pushrod style LS motors which hit their peak tq down low. Downshift and blow the camaro out of the water.

ochoblanco
08-05-2013, 05:54 PM
You could pull a plug to see if they are fouled up...but what you are feeling at 60 in 5th is like JD said above...part of owning a mod motor. Depending upon your gear ratio (mine is 373 in the Boss) slam it down into 3rd and roast the SS.

13BlueAngel
08-05-2013, 06:31 PM
theres no touching the Camaro lol but that's not the point. I also have 3.73 gears since im a track package car. more so just curious bout it being sluggish. its not that im trying to race in those gears more so just trying pull passed someone in traffic to get over and don't wanna be that ass that downshifts and floors it to do so but seems that's why im just gonna have to continue to do. plugs shouldnt be fouled car has less than 5k on it

ochoblanco
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
theres no touching the Camaro lol but that's not the point. I also have 3.73 gears since im a track package car. more so just curious bout it being sluggish. its not that im trying to race in those gears more so just trying pull passed someone in traffic to get over and don't wanna be that ass that downshifts and floors it to do so but seems that's why im just gonna have to continue to do. plugs shouldnt be fouled car has less than 5k on it

That's the only reason to change your plugs outside of boost and E85. I had to change the plugs in my Boss out at 15k miles because they were fouled. This was caused by the Trackey tune (from Ford directly) ran lean up top. I would pull a plug and inspect it to at least see. You could also do some datalogging with a handheld to check all kinds of PIDs

13BlueAngel
08-06-2013, 05:14 PM
wow fouled out at 15k!?!?!?!? that's crazy il definitely give em a look then since the car has been tuned its whole life

Dan12GT
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Ya 6th gear is the slow turd gear. Its only real purpose is to save gas. You won't notice much in power until you are around 70-80 mph when the engine is turning some higher rpms. If I need to do more than just a gradual pass I usually put it down to 5th or 4th to pass and put it back to 6th.

ochoblanco
08-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Never ever go WOT in 6th! Ever...