PDA

View Full Version : Sept 1st - front plates required again

Grandpa
08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Just got this passed on to me. I guess I'll leave my ugly front plate on the GT after all.

All officers should be familiar with HB 625, a 2013 Texas Legislative amendment to Chapter 504 of the Texas Transportation Code.

In 2011, the Texas Legislature intended to separate the Transportation Code provisions requiring license plates from those requiring the actual registration sticker. The provisions that formerly made up Transportation Code Section 502.404 “Operation of a Vehicle without License Plate or Registration Insignia” were divided and now are present in Chapters 502 and 504 (the provisions regarding registration stayed in 502 and the provisions regarding license plates went to 504). When the Legislature did this in 2011, the penalty provision for not having two plates remained in Section 502 and was not duplicated in the Section 504 provision requiring license plates. The Police Department issued a roll call training after the 2011 Legislation passed warning officers not to use this violation of law as grounds to establish probable cause for a stop. The previous roll call training recommended officers observe another traffic offense for which a penalty is prescribed to make a traffic stop.

This year, the 2013 Texas Legislature passed HB 625 to fix this issue by adding Subsection (e) to provide a penalty provision. The amendment to the law fills the gap by making failure to display both license plates on a vehicle a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200. The new law takes effect on September 1, 2013. Until then, officers should continue to operate under the old roll call guidelines. After September 1, 2013, officers may resume relying on Section 504.939 as probable cause for a stop.

Effective September 1, 2013, Section 504.943 of the Texas Transportation Code will read:

§ 504.943. Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:

(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

re-rx7
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Man that sux. Do they make relocation brackets for the front of stangs?

Midnight11
08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
^yes

And cool still won't put mine on there

Grandpa
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
^yes

And cool still won't put mine on there

I wouldn't either if my bumper was undrilled still. But since it's there I might as well leave it there even though it's an eyesore. :(

re-rx7
08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't either if my bumper was undrilled still. But since it's there I might as well leave it there even though it's an eyesore. :(

I feel your pain. I live in Ok but since i bought my car in tx i got holes.

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
This is bullshit. I heard they decided to not renew this to save millions in state costs of producing a second plate for the millions of vehicles registered in the state.

I'll just leave mine off until they tell me otherwise.

JDMLOL
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
This is bullshit. I heard they decided to not renew this to save millions in state costs of producing a second plate for the millions of vehicles registered in the state.

I'll just leave mine off until they tell me otherwise.

Right. If AA could save millions from removing an olive from their salads that no one ate anyway, think what the state of Texas could save.

Ruger
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
They may save a couple million a year by not making the additional plate. They can make tens of millions per year on the revenue generated by issuing citations on not having the plate. Not to mention once they pull you over and can find additional citations to issue. Mine will remain off until I get a ticket and this is the only law I don't like in this great state.

JDBishopArts
08-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm going to drive though Richardson on Sept 1st.

Mrjeremyt
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Ya mines not going on either. Car was bought in Louisiana and didn't come with one. :)

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm going to drive though Richardson on Sept 1st.
I think we should just cruise though Richardson as a big group with no front plates. Make it fun.

This will be a simple fix it ticket though, and unless you are stupid and don't take care of the citation on time, you won't have to pay any money.

elom99
08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Time for one of these: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mb-detachable-licenseplate-1314.html (http://www.americanmuscle.com/mb-detachable-licenseplate-1314.html)

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I would rather support a fellow Stang owner with his bracket. I have it, and it's an awesome piece.

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/welcome-to-craigs-custom-mustang-brackets/

03MachMe
08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
I think we should just cruise though Richardson as a big group with no front plates. Make it fun.

This will be a simple fix it ticket though, and unless you are stupid and don't take care of the citation on time, you won't have to pay any money.

Haha yall try me.... You will find out who in the group I don't like the most.

I understand why cars guts hate the law but I'm glad to see it back. Can't tell you how many dirt bags don't have front plates and how much drugs I have found from those stops

Grandpa
08-05-2013, 06:10 PM

<----Notes to self to stay out of Richardson.

Midnight11
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.stangmods.com/13-14-Mustang-GT-V6-Sto-N-Show-Plate-Bracket-p/3189.htm

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

I understand why cars guts hate the law but I'm glad to see it back. Can't tell you how many dirt bags don't have front plates and how much drugs I have found from those stops

Well we can see if a intake/tune/exhaust GT will outrun the RPD patrol cars. :D

Grandpa
08-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Well we can see if a intake/tune/exhaust GT will outrun the RPD patrol cars. :D

I'd advise you against that. If Ryan catches you he's going to do a full cavity search and that won't be pleasant at all.

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I'd advise you against that. If Ryan catches you he's going to do a full cavity search and that won't be pleasant at all.

:lol:

ochoblanco
08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone know if you can simply keep the front plate inside the car up against the windshield where it is clearly visible from the outside?

Mrjeremyt
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I looked up the current traffic code and of course provision (e) isn't in there, I'm gonna be sure and check back after the 1st and see if it changes. I also called a few officers I know and they said they just had their update briefing on the new laws and they didn't hear about this. Guess fingers crossed! lol

DirtyD
08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Anyone know if you can simply keep the front plate inside the car up against the windshield where it is clearly visible from the outside?

More likely to get stop as it's an unsafe action since that would become a flying guillotine in a wreck.

03MachMe
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Nope case law says must be on front of vehicle. And like previously stated can become a very sharp projectile.

JDBishopArts
08-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah. I'd much rather not have a plate and a cop most likely give me a warning if anything than have a razor blade flying around my cabin.