PDA

View Full Version : Car tried to kill me tonight

KnightRider5.0
08-03-2013, 12:06 AM
See next couple of posts from OP
I want to put the car in the shop to get looked at but my friends car has been in the shop for 45 days waiting on transmission parts. So I'm not exactly stoked about loosing my car for a possible month. It's a 2012 MT82 with 3.73s only drivetrain mods are FRPP shifter and two post bracket.

TrueStreetMotorSports.com
08-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Sounds like you put the car in 2nd instead of 4th......

KnightRider5.0
08-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Na man if I would of done that with 3.73s I'd have blown up my drive train at 60 mph. Not to mention that was my first thought that I immediately checked and it was fourth.

JDMLOL
08-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Those were my thoughts. These cars will hit 60 at the top of 2nd wont they?

JesseJames5.0
08-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Not good might be a clutch issue keep an eye on it

03MachMe
08-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Not with 3.73. I would drive it around the block a few times then slowly go further and see if you can duplicate it. If not I wouldn't worry too much about it. It really sounds like it was in 2nd

kn7671
08-03-2013, 07:33 AM
2nd gear @ 7000 rpm's = 62 mph

I believe this is much more plausible given the facts around what you stated happened, coupled with how quickly it all happened, your brain likely discarded any awareness of the engine or tachometer by turning on survival mode to the forefront of your mishap.

Simply said, the facts you've given us point to an accidental 2nd gear downshift instead of the expected 4th gear.

KnightRider5.0
08-03-2013, 09:48 AM
2nd gear @ 7000 rpm's = 62 mph

I believe this is much more plausible given the facts around what you stated happened, coupled with how quickly it all happened, your brain likely discarded any awareness of the engine or tachometer by turning on survival mode to the forefront of your mishap.

Simply said, the facts you've given us point to an accidental 2nd gear downshift instead of the expected 4th gear.

My cars been tuned my red line moved to 7500 rpms so even if I did downshift to 2nd accidentally my car should of accelerated really hard not locked the rear end up.

Mrjeremyt
08-03-2013, 11:29 AM

^This, period, end of story.

JDBishopArts
08-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok I'm going to admit it. I've done this before and yes it locks everything up. (severe engine braking). Especially if you have any of the advancetac stuff still on it tries to compensate. It can make for a mess. I'd put money on that is what you did. It's easier to do than most people give it credit for.

JDMLOL
08-03-2013, 11:37 AM
My cars been tuned my red line moved to 7500 rpms so even if I did downshift to 2nd accidentally my car should of accelerated really hard not locked the rear end up.

Still, hitting that low of a gear at that speed would do it. I did something similar in my car when I first got it. I have 3.55s and threw it in third instead of fifth @ 70-75 and mine tried to do it (early in the morning and wasn't paying attention) With a tune, these cars will damn near hit 100 in third as long as red line is raised. It definitely chirped the tires pretty good, I was lucky and wasn't thrown into a tail spin.

46Tbird
08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Yep, you put it in Second instead of Fourth. Can't buy a driver mod.

mustang1200
08-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Unless you were rev matching at or above 7K it would result in severe engine breaking as stated above. Be thankful you didn't explode anything or crash.

DirtyD
08-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm going to have to agree with the 6th to 2nd theory. With as close as the shift gates on on this car, and the return springs in the trans, it is way easier than you think.

My dad did a 5th to 4th shift when he first drove my car because he didn't know about the return springs, so when he took his time to shift gears, it threw me and my mom forwards, even at 50 MPH.

Rebelracer568
08-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Yea doing a sixth to second down shift will shock the powertrain causing A lock up. I down shift from third to second on highway attemps to lock up. I agree it was a 6th to 2nd

KnightRider5.0
08-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Shit happens

DirtyD
08-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Ugh I tried to hide the real story but seeing as how I'm thought of as ignorant not knowing what gear I shifted into,here's the real story, I was racing a WS6 down the highway we where doing 60 dropped into third 3 honks and started a roll race I was pulling on him in third when I went to shift into 4th the first time it locked me out wouldn't go in at all I was lift shifting I know our transmissions don't like power shifting. Anyways it locked me out of 4th and I lost to him next go round same scenario, he rolls up honk honk honk, bam I drop into third start pulling again, thinking no way this will happen twice. Wrong redline, shift light flashes I go to slam into 4th, lift shifting of course won't engage, clutch out, clutch down I try to force it and bam full lock and swerve to the shoulder, right back tire had to be it first because of how hard it yanked right. Anyways the car even today shifter loose and sloppy rough engagement into gears, all of them. I didn't want to admit I was racing and see if anyone has had this happen. My trans is acting rough all today. I'm thinking its shop time. Sorry I hide the truth but figured that story would
get a better technical answer then this one. I know it was fourth when I went to
engage it while shifting because I checked as I went to shift it into gear. So no way it was second.

Sounds like you are now experiencing issues with the syncros.........

garner
08-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Well this just got interesting

re-rx7
08-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Jesus. Dude just tell the truth. And when something doesn't wanna go rule of thumb is dont force it. Sounds like someone can't drive a stick.

my95z28
08-04-2013, 03:21 AM
No point in hiding the truth man, quite a few of us have done it before. Sounds like you were trying to grab second the whole time, syncros couldn't keep up which is why it locked you out

KnightRider5.0
08-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Well I appreciate the information guys, hopefully this problem sorts itself out.

re-rx7
08-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Well I appreciate the information guys, hopefully this problem sorts itself out.

If you did indeed force it into second you may have damaged something.

46Tbird
08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Heres the real story, I was racing a WS6 down the highway we where doing 60 dropped into third 3 honks and started a roll race I was pulling on him in third when I went to shift into 4th the first time it locked me out wouldn't go in at all I was lift shifting I know our transmissions don't like power shifting. Anyways it locked me out of 4th and I lost to him next go round same scenario, he rolls up honk honk honk, bam I drop into third start pulling again, thinking no way this will happen twice. Wrong redline, shift light flashes I go to slam into 4th, lift shifting of course won't engage, clutch out, clutch down I try to force it and bam full lock and swerve to the shoulder, right back tire had to be it first because of how hard it yanked right. Anyways the car even today shifter loose and sloppy rough engagement into gears, all of them. I didn't want to admit I was racing and see if anyone has had this happen. My trans is acting rough all today. I'm thinking its shop time. Sorry I hide the truth but figured that story would
get a better technical answer then this one. I know it was fourth when I went to
engage it while shifting the second time because I checked as I went to shift it into gear. Anyone had issues with the Barton shifter in higher rpms?

So what's different about this story than the first one? That you dropped it into Second during a race as opposed to dropping it into Second while clowning around? I'm not surprised your trans is making funny noises, it will do that after you pound it into the wrong gear and let out the clutch.

KnightRider5.0
08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
So what's different about this story than the first one? That you dropped it into Second during a race as opposed to dropping it into Second while clowning around? I'm not surprised your trans is making funny noises, it will do that after you pound it into the wrong gear and let out the clutch.

Thanks I appreciate the input

46Tbird
08-04-2013, 05:28 PM
You are welcome.

thelandshark
08-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Trade it in and get a auto

my95z28
08-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Damn you guys are harsh. Don't let em get to ya KnightRider, we all make mistakes, shit happens man. My buddy did the same thing and it went sideways down through the ditch and broke a bunch of suspension parts right after he finished his H/C LS3, at least that didn't happen to you!

Oxford14Stang
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah sounds like went into 2nd.. don't worry I did a 2nd to 1st gr instead if 3rd lol. Happened once with ThelandShark in the car, quickly pressed the clutch in tho.

re-rx7
08-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Damn you guys are harsh. Don't let em get to ya KnightRider, we all make mistakes, shit happens man. My buddy did the same thing and it went sideways down through the ditch and broke a bunch of suspension parts right after he finished his H/C LS3, at least that didn't happen to you!

Lies happen.:whymewhyme:

my95z28
08-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Lies happen.:whymewhyme:

A guy doesn't want to fess up to street racing in a public, traceable forum? Sounds smarter than a lot of the people that openly admit it to me.