PDA

View Full Version : Z28

Dominic Toretto
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I haven't read any current mags. Will Ford come out with a model to compete with the LS7 Z28 coming out? I guess the Boss 302 would be the closest fit right now but I doubt it will be able to manage with what Chevy has stuffed and removed from that Camaro.

-Alex

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 03:49 PM
The Boss LS would probably hold with the Z28, honestly.

I just find it sad and funny that Chevy waited until after the Boss ended production to create an equal track car to the Boss. Of course you will be the best when you are uncontested. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PLASMAN
07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I know of a LS Boss that will wipe any Z28's ass...lol

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
That Z28 is a 50k dollar car w/o ac. With options you could get into a shelby for the same price. Plus they put 315's on all 4 corners of that car so it better stick. My question is this....out of all the stangs, camaros sold how many actually track.

Dominic Toretto
07-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I just find it sad and funny that Chevy waited until after the Boss ended production.

Wasn't aware the Boss ended production. That's whack.

-Alex

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Wasn't aware the Boss ended production. That's whack.

-Alex
Yup. 2 year onld production run just like the old Boss 302s

Dominic Toretto
07-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I know of a LS Boss that will wipe any Z28's ass...lol

Are we talking stock? If we're talking modded that's just useless as I know some Civics that would crush 5.0s.

That Z28 is a 50k dollar car w/o ac. With options you could get into a shelby for the same price. Plus they put 315's on all 4 corners of that car so it better stick. My question is this....out of all the stangs, camaros sold how many actually track.

Can't confirm but I could swear I saw a $50k pricetag on the last Boss I saw at Westway. Besides that, all of that stuff costs. It's like when MT compared the 5.0 to the 1LE and the 1LE came out on top in (IIRC) everything but comfort but it also had larger tires and brakes.

-Alex

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Are we talking stock? If we're talking modded that's just useless as I know some Civics that would crush 5.0s.

Can't confirm but I could swear I saw a $50k pricetag on the last Boss I saw at Westway. Besides that, all of that stuff costs. It's like when MT compared the 5.0 to the 1LE and the 1LE came out on top in (IIRC) everything but comfort but it also had larger tires and brakes.

-Alex
A $50k Boss? They're idiots. A fully optioned, non-LS Boss should be $47k or so. I think an LS may reach above $50k.

MT comparing the 1LE to the Track Pack 5.0 was somewhat of an even matchup, but still not entirely fair.

03MachMe
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
A $50k Boss? Their idiots. A fully optioned, non-LS Boss should be $47k or so. I think an LS may reach above $50k.

MT comparing the 1LE to the Track Pack 5.0 was somewhat of an even matchup, but still not entirely fair.

An LS with the dealer mark ups were easily $50k

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 06:00 PM
With dealer mark ups. Z28 is within range of a Shelby price wise and that's enough for me.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
An LS with the dealer mark ups were easily $50k

That's what I figured.

FastFordDriver
07-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Maybe one day GM will quit playing catch-up with Ford, too.

There may be something about the new Z28 over at www.dfwcamaros.com. Not sure.

Dominic Toretto
07-27-2013, 08:58 AM

According to MT, Ford supplied the exact car because they thought it was fair.

Maybe one day GM will quit playing catch-up with Ford, too.

Wasn't the LS1 F-body faster than all the non-blown Mustangs for awhile?

-Alex

46Tbird
07-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Buncha haters in here! That Z28 is a bad motherfucker. All motor 500hp 427? Yes please.

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Buncha haters in here! That Z28 is a bad motherfucker. All motor 500hp 427? Yes please.
Yes 500hp is alot. However, when you can buy a Base Shelby for damn near the same price it becomes a no brainer.

Dominic Toretto
07-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Add to that 470tq. For all those complaining about the 5.0 not being torquey enough.

I'm a car guy, I don't subcribe to one particular brand. Corvettes, Vipers, Stangs, Supras, Evos... I like'em all :). I give credit where credit is due. Like when the 5.0 came out and trumped the LS3 Camaro. So technically Ford "caught up" with Chevy since the 4.6 GT was horribly lacking compared to the 426hp SS. Just sayin.

-Alex

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Add to that 470tq. For all those complaining about the 5.0 not being torquey enough.

I'm a car guy, I don't subcribe to one particular brand. Corvettes, Vipers, Stangs, Supras, Evos... I like'em all :). I give credit where credit is due. Like when the 5.0 came out and trumped the LS3 Camaro. So technically Ford "caught up" with Chevy since the 4.6 GT was horribly lacking compared to the 426hp SS. Just sayin.

-Alex

Technically GM is playing catchup because they quit making the Camaro and Firebird for 10years because the mustang was out selling them both combined. Flipside to that is that GM is making alot of fast cars all the while taking a bath on some of them for image. This pisses me off because they are still on the tax payers dime for the bailout.

Dominic Toretto
07-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Technically GM is playing catchup because they quit making the Camaro and Firebird for 10years because the mustang was out selling them both combined. Flipside to that is that GM is making alot of fast cars all the while taking a bath on some of them for image. This pisses me off because they are still on the tax payers dime for the bailout.

When I think about how a car performs around a track, I really don't consider the company's business model. If a car is fast, it's fast :)

-Alex

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 10:09 AM
When I think about how a car performs around a track, I really don't consider the company's business model. If a car is fast, it's fast :)

-Alex

When its coming out of your pocket you should. Most of these car will never see a track instead they will see alot of roll racing just like every other "track" oriented car.

Dominic Toretto
07-27-2013, 10:21 AM
When its coming out of your pocket you should. Most of these car will never see a track instead they will see alot of roll racing just like every other "track" oriented car.

Okay.

-Alex

JDMLOL
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM

I sort of see where some would think about GM in this way, but to be honest, I think most of us would agree that a company's goal is to make money. GM killed the Camaro because sales were soft, they tried introducing the GTO and it ended up the same way. GM reintroduced a redesigned Camaro after an eight year hiatus in hopes to recapture their portion of the pony car market. I don't think GM is purposely wasting money, I think they have just made some poor decisions. Look at them the Volt was a failure and a little before it's time, they tried similar things in the 90s. These big ass 2 mode Escalade hybrids, really? What a joke. I used to love GM's products and some of them I still do especially pre-bailout models like the fourth gen camaros (ironically), the gmt800 platform trucks, SS Trailblazers, etc... but the more I drive my car and the more I ride in my dad's new FX2, the more I'm loving Ford products. They're better priced than GM, just as reliable, look good, and run good. Have ya'll seen those new GM fullsized trucks? Those things are ugly.

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I sort of see where some would think about GM in this way, but to be honest, I think most of us would agree that a company's goal is to make money. GM killed the Camaro because sales were soft, they tried introducing the GTO and it ended up the same way. GM reintroduced a redesigned Camaro after an eight year hiatus in hopes to recapture their portion of the pony car market. I don't think GM is purposely wasting money, I think they have just made some poor decisions. Look at them the Volt was a failure and a little before it's time, they tried similar things in the 90s. These big ass 2 mode Escalade hybrids, really? What a joke. I used to love GM's products and some of them I still do especially pre-bailout models like the fourth gen camaros (ironically), the gmt800 platform trucks, SS Trailblazers, etc... but the more I drive my car and the more I ride in my dad's new FX2, the more I'm loving Ford products. They're better priced than GM, just as reliable, look good, and run good. Have ya'll seen those new GM fullsized trucks? Those things are ugly.
Gm is fucked when it comes to their new truck hitting the market. Their new offering offered nothing but a few changes. The powertrains are exactly the same. The 5.3 is way short of the ecoboost (40lb ft and 30hp). I did enjoy the TBSS. One of my favorites as is the V. When the new Fseries drops in a year or so your gonna see GM really squirm because that Atlas concept is really close to a production model.

JDMLOL
07-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Gm is fucked when it comes to their new truck hitting the market. Their new offering offered nothing but a few changes. The powertrains are exactly the same. The 5.3 is way short of the ecoboost (40lb ft and 30hp). I did enjoy the TBSS. One of my favorites as is the V. When the new Fseries drops in a year or so your gonna see GM really squirm because that Atlas concept is really close to a production model.

Those ecoboost motor's are the best thing Ford has done. That's what is in my dad's FX2 and it's great. He sees 19 in town and up to 24 on the hwy all without sacrificing ANY power. Drives like a car and very quiet. I pulled our 21.5 ft bass boat and it's like the damn thing isn't even there.

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Thats the thing the Ecoboost makes a ton of Tq from down low. This new 5.3 of GM's offers 1mpg better Fuel economy but make signicantly less Tq and Hp.

JDMLOL
07-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Thats the thing the Ecoboost makes a ton of Tq from down low. This new 5.3 of GM's offers 1mpg better Fuel economy but make signicantly less Tq and Hp.

We will see in several months what mpgs people are REALLY seeing. My dad had an 05 z71 silverado before and it got better mileage than my 08 2wd with the same 5.3 4l60e combo even though mine had active fuel management. Both were the same truck except one was 4wd and different years.

garner
07-27-2013, 07:47 PM

5.3 is made to compete with the 5.0, not the ecoboost

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 07:51 PM
The Eco boost is not the top range engine. Gm is fucked in everyway.

garner
07-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Neither is the 5.3, gm is still making the 6.2 to compete with the ford 6.2. But it's a late release just like the regular and quad cab models

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 08:24 PM
You really think this gm truck is gna compete? The Eco boost makes more hp tq then their 5.3 and base engine. The changes they made were minimal at best to the exterior. The avail tq range on the Eco trumps te 5.e3 in every aspect. The 6.2 will be lucky. The only thing they changed was to direct injection.

JDMLOL
07-27-2013, 08:31 PM
When we got the FX2 the dealer said that the F150 out sells the Silverado nearly 2 to 1. Idk if that number is including the Sierra or not.

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Ford sells around 800k a yr. that's more then the total sales hyundai.

garner
07-27-2013, 08:51 PM
You really think this gm truck is gna compete? The Eco boost makes more hp tq then their 5.3 and base engine. The changes they made were minimal at best to the exterior. The avail tq range on the Eco trumps te 5.e3 in every aspect. The 6.2 will be lucky. The only thing they changed was to direct injection.

Where did I say anything about the ecoboost?

I said 5.3 competes with 5.0, 6.2 competes with 6.2. Ecoboost is in a class of its own, you're the only one comparing the 5.3 and 6.2 to the ecoboost

And 4.3 competes with 3.7

DirtyD
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Where did I say anything about the ecoboost?

I said 5.3 competes with 5.0, 6.2 competes with 6.2. Ecoboost is in a class of its own, you're the only one comparing the 5.3 and 6.2 to the ecoboost

And 4.3 competes with 3.7

You can't really compare the 6.2s between the Ford and Chevy light duties, because the 6.2 in mainly there for a towing engine for use in the medium/heavy duty trucks.

Plus to add to the comparison, ford and Chevy are now completely different motor designs, not like they were in the past. They may still be OHC based, but the technology between their designs is so far from equivalent.

re-rx7
07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
The secret is ford has so many different axle ratios, cab/chassis options, and trim levels.

DirtyD
07-27-2013, 10:22 PM
The secret is ford has so many different axle ratios, cab/chassis options, and trim levels.

The secret is Ford has embraced technology and turned it into a winning and excellent platform for them. I understand GM wants to ride their classic design for as long as they can, but the new LT1 in the C7 shows they may finally be changing their ways.

pohnjarker
07-28-2013, 05:14 AM
i'm like you Toretto, i like all types of cars for what they are and not really brand specific. heck, i grew up in a chevy family and i also own a Subaru Outback.

the new Z28 is going to be bad ass...but at the end of the day, if i had the money, id go base shelby or a year old with options.

Dominic Toretto
07-29-2013, 08:22 AM
i'm like you Toretto, i like all types of cars for what they are and not really brand specific. heck, i grew up in a chevy family and i also own a Subaru Outback.

the new Z28 is going to be bad ass...but at the end of the day, if i had the money, id go base shelby or a year old with options.

My parents weren't really into cars, at least not at the time I was born. My mom said she owned a Volkswagen (Karmengia?) and my dad did have a Chevy Nova SS.

As far as the Z28, GT500 comparison. I think they are completely different purpose built cars. The Z28 is hollowed out and provided with a far better track engine, much like the Z06 of the Corvettes. To me the equivalent of that with Ford would be the Boss 302 not the GT500.

-Alex