PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Foglights

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Now that my GTCS lower front fascia has arrived, I am anxious about the best way to go about having yellow lights. I've never installed HIDs so that would be new to me. I have seen some people that actually tint the lenses. What do you guys suggest?

-Alex

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Are you talking about tinting the fog lights in the grill? I assume so since tinting the lens of the tiny projector would be difficult.

If you are going to use the fog lights in actual fog, get some 3000K HIDs, reputable brand/company, and then you can convert the grill lights to additional driving lights oir delete them all together.

HIDs aren't that bad of an install. Can easily be done in about 45 minutes taking your time.

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I've had pretty good luck with after market hid kits. I usually do the relay harness so that it draws from the battery (ballast start up draws more than halogen and I feel more comfortable with a fused relay harness). The harness also resolves most flickering issues especially with cars that have their lowbeams that run at a percentage of full power as drl's, but fogs shouldn't be an issue. You can get 3000k that are supposedly golden yellow but I have never ran that temp. I have only done 4300k and 8000k (when I was a high school kid and only cared about looks instead of light output, lol). Go to ddm tuning they have cheap kits that offer a lifetime warranty. Some people say they're shit because they are made overseas (then again what isn't these days?) and they assume the cheap price automatically means low quality. I've had several ddm kits and friends with them and we never had any issues.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 09:48 AM
DDM can be hit or miss as far as quality, bulb matching colors, and ballast life. I've been there for 2 of those. hey are a great company, but I'd still not deal with it to begin with.

3000K will be the best color choice to use in actual fog, which 4500K-5000K will be an excellent choice to provide additional, short range driving lights.

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
4500K-5000K will be an excellent choice to provide additional, short range driving lights.

I think that would look best. 4300k and the shades near that temp look the best IMO, especially behind projectors.

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Are you talking about tinting the fog lights in the grill? I assume so since tinting the lens of the tiny projector would be difficult.

If you are going to use the fog lights in actual fog, get some 3000K HIDs, reputable brand/company, and then you can convert the grill lights to additional driving lights oir delete them all together.

HIDs aren't that bad of an install. Can easily be done in about 45 minutes taking your time.

I am talking about possibly tinting the foglights that are integrated into the GTCS fascia. I do not plan to keep the stock foglights in place and will just get an aftermarket grill in place of those.

I've had pretty good luck with after market hid kits. I usually do the relay harness so that it draws from the battery (ballast start up draws more than halogen and I feel more comfortable with a fused relay harness). The harness also resolves most flickering issues especially with cars that have their lowbeams that run at a percentage of full power as drl's, but fogs shouldn't be an issue. You can get 3000k that are supposedly golden yellow but I have never ran that temp. I have only done 4300k and 8000k (when I was a high school kid and only cared about looks instead of light output, lol). Go to ddm tuning they have cheap kits that offer a lifetime warranty. Some people say they're shit because they are made overseas (then again what isn't these days?) and they assume the cheap price automatically means low quality. I've had several ddm kits and friends with them and we never had any issues.

Thanks. What's "ddm?" I prefer yellow as the color for fogs as it provides (to me) the best contrast to the high beam... and just look cool to me lol.

-Alex

Mrjeremyt
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
I just bought a car with HID's from the factory... problem solved. lol

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 10:15 AM

:snoopfacepalm: The stock foglights for your car are not HIDs they are LEDs.

-Alex

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 10:20 AM
I am talking about possibly tinting the foglights that are integrated into the GTCS fascia. I do not plan to keep the stock foglights in place and will just get an aftermarket grill in place of those.

I'm sort of confused... If you're talking about tinting projector fogs like the ones pictured below I don't think it's possible (maybe I'm wrong) unless you go with 3000k HID's or aftermarket projectors that may have a yellow lens.

http://0.tqn.com/d/mustangs/1/0/6/k/-/-/DSC_0259.jpg

DDMtuning.com is the site. Like I said, they have mixed reviews but I have had good luck with them but Derek has had different results. I don't know of any other brands that are "Reputable" per se because technically retrofitting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs is illegal. Most of the companies are from overseas so it would be best to just look for reviews on forums. I don't think Philips or Osram/Sylvania makes kits (which would be ideal since they are the leaders in HID lighting and are used as OE on most vehicles) although I think some companies make kits and slap their name on the box.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I think that would look best. 4300k and the shades near that temp look the best IMO, especially behind projectors.
4700K is the absolute best color for a projector housing setup. The colorshift at that point is amazing, and the light output is about as close to optimal as you will get.

I don't think tinting the projectors would be a good idea. Since it's not an open reflective housing, the vinyl could disrupt the pattern of the light through the lens. I would stick to getting the colored HID setup you want.

Thanks. What's "ddm?" I prefer yellow as the color for fogs as it provides (to me) the best contrast to the high beam... and just look cool to me lol.

-Alex
DDM Tuning is a company that came around mainly from BMW aftermarket exterior parts that now sells a relatively inexpensive HID setup.

LOL. Jeremy, we are talking about the foglights, not the headlights.

:snoopfacepalm: The stock foglights for your car are not HIDs they are LEDs.

-Alex
:lol:

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm sort of confused... If you're talking about tinting projector fogs like the ones pictured below I don't think it's possible (maybe I'm wrong) unless you go with 3000k HID's or aftermarket projectors that may have a yellow lens.

Yes I was considering having those lenses tinted, if at all possible. Was basically just trying to get an idea from you all if it was possible as an alternative to retrofitting HIDs.

-Alex

Mrjeremyt
07-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Hell i dunno what they are. I dont really care as long as i dont have to replace one of those expensive things. Lol

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Hell i dunno what they are. I dont really care as long as i dont have to replace one of those expensive things. Lol

Lol. Those fogs will outlast the car. I love where LED technology has gone over the past few years. I can't wait until LED headlights are more of a common option like what comes on the new Acuras.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 10:40 AM

http://0.tqn.com/d/mustangs/1/0/6/k/-/-/DSC_0259.jpg

DDMtuning.com is the site. Like I said, they have mixed reviews but I have had good luck with them but Derek has had different results. I don't know of any other brands that are "Reputable" per se because technically retrofitting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs is illegal. Most of the companies are from overseas so it would be best to just look for reviews on forums. I don't think Philips or Osram/Sylvania makes kits (which would be ideal since they are the leaders in HID lighting and are used as OE on most vehicles) although I think some companies make kits and slap their name on the box.
www.TheRetrofitSource.com is by far the most reputable company out there that has PNP HID components. But they are no where near as cheap as DDM (around $200-$250 for ballasts and bulbs, but they are worth it). StandMods and another site I can't remember are also good.

Also, when you say retrofitting, you mean just "plug 'n play". Retrofitting is cutting up a pair of headlights and putting a projector housing in place of the reflector bowl.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Lol. Those fogs will outlast the car. I love where LED technology has gone over the past few years. I can't wait until LED headlights are more of a common option like what comes on the new Acuras.
Still wish they had chosen a better color LED. 5700K is stupid for a fog light to actually be useful. 4500K would've been much better...or even 5000K.

re-rx7
07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm using 3k fogs and 4300k headlights. I've always used the 3k fogs in my cars. It stands out in the rain and shitty weather so peeps don't hit you.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm using 3k fogs and 4300k headlights. I've always used the 3k fogs in my cars. It stands out in the rain and shitty weather so peeps don't hit you.
Which is exactly what is supposed to happen.

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Also, when you say retrofitting, you mean just "plug 'n play". Retrofitting is cutting up a pair of headlights and putting a projector housing in place of the reflector bowl.

Not necessarily. Retrofitting can be adding anything that wasn't original equipment, but yes, I am talking about the "plug 'n play" style kits.

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

This is now making me want to buy the v6 fogs and throw 3000k's in them.

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Yes sorry, I mean plug-n-play :).

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't know the temperature for each color. Is 3000k yellow?

-Alex

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't know the temperature for each color. Is 3000k yellow?

-Alex

Yep. 3000k is yellow, 4300k is pure white (hint of yellow), 6000k is pure white (hint of blue), 8000K is blue, anything above 8000k is crap IMO because the bluer the light, the more the light scatters especially on an asphalt road or when it rains which makes 8000k+ dimmer than halogen. Stock headlamp color is typically 4300k. As Derek said before, some companies have trouble matching bulb color even when it's supposed to be the same color temp. Most of the aftermarket companies bulb colors vary from company to company even if they are both the same color temp (kelvin or just K).

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 11:09 AM
This is now making me want to buy the v6 fogs and throw 3000k's in them.

That's my plan if I ever get off my lazy ass and hook up my fog lights. Maybe this weekend I will finally do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
That's my plan if I ever get off my lazy ass and hook up my fog lights. Maybe this weekend I will finally do that.

Yeah, I remember on another post you were talking about the legality issues of having four auxiliary lamps on. If I do it I want to somehow run the two sets of fogs independently while maintaining a factory looking switch or running a hidden switch somewhere so I can run them on dark country roads.

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Are you planning to delete the upper foglights?

-Alex

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I remember on another post you were talking about the legality issues of having four auxiliary lamps on. If I do it I want to somehow run the two sets of fogs independently while maintaining a factory looking switch or running a hidden switch somewhere so I can run them on dark country roads.
After thinking about it more, I don't want to have all 6 on at once. The main point of me doing that would be for the purpose of pictures only. Haha. Having yellow fogs will throw it off having the other 2 lights as blue.

Are you planning to delete the upper foglights?

-Alex
Nope. Keeping those to run with my DRLs at all times.

Dominic Toretto
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
What type of bulb is the stock foglight for the for the GTCS? I can't tell by looking.

I'm on this site and can't tell which application I would choose.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=32

-Alex

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
After thinking about it more, I don't want to have all 6 on at once. The main point of me doing that would be for the purpose of pictures only. Haha. Having yellow fogs will throw it off having the other 2 lights as blue.

Nope. Keeping those to run with my DRLs at all times.

So you plan to run a relay to the led fogs and wire them to the led strip drl in the headlamps and then run the v6 fogs to the fog switch?

JDMLOL
07-25-2013, 11:29 AM
What type of bulb is the stock foglight for the for the GTCS? I can't tell by looking.

-Alex

Sylvania has a fitment guide just look up a 2012 GT/CS.

DirtyD
07-25-2013, 11:36 AM

-Alex
Bulbs are H1 if I recall correctly. Or H11.

So you plan to run a relay to the led fogs and wire them to the led strip drl in the headlamps and then run the v6 fogs to the fog switch?
Pretty much. But I will have everything related together so when I do turn on my lower fogs they grill fogs will shut off.

Pepperinyoureye
07-25-2013, 11:41 PM
I love my 3k HID fogs/7k combo

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I love my 3k HID fogs/7k combo

7000K?!?!

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 01:01 AM
7k Jesus you can't see shit with 6k lol!! The strain on your eyes has to hurt like hell!

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
7k Jesus you can't see shit with 6k lol!! The strain on your eyes has to hurt like hell!

That's why I always went with 4300k, that greenish blue hue on everything got old with the 8000k.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Anything higher than 6000k is pointless.

Even then 6000k can be on the boundaries.

50W 6000K is another story.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 09:18 AM
I went 4300 as well. Just a bit brighter then OEM. The yellow fogs really helped this morning. People sem to think the higher the Kelvin the brighter the light. SHIT.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I went 4300 as well. Just a bit brighter then OEM. The yellow fogs really helped this morning. People sem to think the higher the Kelvin the brighter the light. SHIT.

That's because they are uneducated on the subject and shops will do anything to sell that crap. I wish manufacturers would stop making anything above 6000K. But obviously that won't happen.

The factory lights on the 2013 are something like 4200K-4300K, I think. A good upgrade would be to find some 4500K-5000K bulbs. I know there is a guy on SVTP that put 5000K DDM bulbs in his car, but I never saw a picture. What sucks is that not many people make D3S bulbs in other colors...

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
That's because they are uneducated on the subject and shops will do anything to sell that crap. I wish manufacturers would stop making anything above 6000K. But obviously that won't happen.

The factory lights on the 2013 are something like 4200K-4300K, I think. A good upgrade would be to find some 4500K-5000K bulbs. I know there is a guy on SVTP that put 5000K DDM bulbs in his car, but I never saw a picture. What sucks is that not many people make D3S bulbs in other colors...

Most OEM is 4300k. I tried 5k in my Is300 one time and hated it. I was always getting high beamed. LOL I like it to keep it simple and clean. The only real reason I started using yellow fogs was because the Is300 came with them from the factory. Ihate having that those cars behind me or oncoming. Cant see shit and I know they cant either.

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Exactly. Also the human eye is more sensitive to green or violet than yellow/white. The horrible glare from those bluish bulbs gives people the misconception that they're brighter than halogen when in reality they're not and you're screwed on a rainy night going down a dark road.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Exactly. Also the human eye is more sensitive to green or violet than yellow/white. The horrible glare from those bluish bulbs gives people the misconception that they're brighter than halogen when in reality they're not and your screwed on a rainy night going down a dark road.
I bought some HID's from a shop for my gf's MS3 and he tld me they were 4300k. Got home threw them in and those bitches looked like 6-8k! I figured id take them back the next week and swap them. Just so happened it rained before I could get them back. She drove my car everday it rained.:rotflmao:

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I bought some HID's from a shop for my gf's MS3 and he tld me they were 4300k. Got home threw them in and those bitches looked like 6-8k! I figured id take them back the next week and swap them. Just so happened it rained before I could get them back. She drove my car everday it rained.:rotflmao:

8000k in rain is similar to shining a blue led on a black piece of construction paper, you can't see the reflection for shit.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 10:03 AM
8000k in rain is similar to shining a blue led on a black piece of construction paper, you can't see the reflection for shit.

:rotflmao: SFT!!!

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Most OEM is 4300k. I tried 5k in my Is300 one time and hated it. I was always getting high beamed. LOL I like it to keep it simple and clean. The only real reason I started using yellow fogs was because the Is300 came with them from the factory. Ihate having that those cars behind me or oncoming. Cant see shit and I know they cant either.
Yeah, you are correct. I thin some leans a little more towards 4400-4500K, like Benz and BMW, or their projector setups are just that awesome with amazing color shift.

Exactly. Also the human eye is more sensitive to green or violet than yellow/white. The horrible glare from those bluish bulbs gives people the misconception that they're brighter than halogen when in reality they're not and you're screwed on a rainy night going down a dark road.
I've tried explaining that to people, but they are ignorant. On top of what you stated, blue light is the most sensitive to light refraction than any other color, which is why those blue lights are completely worthless in the rain, and dangerous to other drivers because of the glare they create. I love coming up beside a donk or some other hoopty running 8000K+ HIDs and completely drowing out their light pattern with my headlights on my car. :D

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah, you are correct. I thin some leans a little more towards 4400-4500K, like Benz and BMW, or their projector setups are just that awesome with amazing color shift.
I think its the projectors. Every German car Ive seen uses the best projectors. The americas are a little behind on this still. [/QUOTE]

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Right now I have 6000k DDM tuning kit on my stock 11-12 non HID head lamps. I love it, never had major problems other than accidentally exposing my wiring harness to water (my fault). Light output is a lot better and cleaner looking. It tends to be a bit blue though, I feel like my old ballasts cranked out better wattage and made the light a bit more white looking. Anywho, I went with DDM mainly because of the price and the quality is impressive considering the price you are paying. I also have the GT/CS fasia fogs but not running HIDs in those. I have some aftermarket bulbs Brent referred me to. They are super bright white light with a very very subtle hint of blue. I just need to align the damn things. Aligning the 11-12 GT/CS fogs are a huge pain in the ass.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Right now I have 6000k DDM running my stock 11-12 non HID head lamps. I love it, never had major problems other than accidentally exposing my wiring harness to water (my fault). Light output is a lot better and cleaner looking. It tends to be a bit blue though, I feel like my old ballasts cranked out better wattage and made the light a bit more white looking. Anywho, I went with DDM mainly because of the price and the quality is impressive considering the price you are paying. I also have the GT/CS fasia fogs but not running HIDs in those. I have some aftermarket bulbs Brent referred me to. They are super bright white light with a very very subtle hint of blue. I just need to align the damn things. Aligning the 11-12 GT/CS fogs are a huge pain in the ass.

I guarantee you get 5k's you will ove it more!

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I guarantee you get 5k's you will ove it more!

Been seriously considering it. That or stepping it up to 55watt, that might be a bit too bright though.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Been seriously considering it. That or stepping it up to 55watt, that might be a bit too bright though.

4300k preferrably if you can find it. I had to look for awhile.:patriot:

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 11:22 AM
4300k preferrably if you can find it. I had to look for awhile.:patriot:

DDM has 4500k

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
DDM has 4500k

I ran those. No difference in color from 4300k imo. Bumping the wattage washes the color and generates more heat. Oems use 35w.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Danny, get some 50W ballasts and 5000K bulbs from TRS. You will wonder why you didn't in the first place. :D

Unfortunately we can't run a 50W system in our '13 cars unless we completely disregard the built in ballasts from the factory. I've thought about it, but figured if I'm going to do that, I will just retrofit a FXR projector system from TRS into the headlights, as a guy over on F150online.com did to his 2013 F150 headlights.

Oh, and your fog light bulbs are probably Hoen.

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Ya i'd probably stick to the 35w, I think they are plenty bright I probably just need a tad bit less color.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 11:33 AM
4300 to 5k your good. 4300 being the best.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 11:45 AM
50W in the headlights will be fine. And you can actually get better color and more lumens from a 50W 5000K setup than you can a 35W 4300K setup.

I changed my 35W 5000K setup to a 50W 5000K setup with DDM stuff and even though the color shifted down in Kelvin slightly, there was way more light. Too bad it was scatttered like hell from the F150 reflector housing.

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
50W in the headlights will be fine. And you can actually get better color and more lumens from a 50W 5000K setup than you can a 35W 4300K setup.

I changed my 35W 5000K setup to a 50W 5000K setup with DDM stuff and even though the color shifted down in Kelvin slightly, there was way more light. Too bad it was scatttered like hell from the F150 reflector housing.

You don't think the concentration of heat will damage the housing, especially if it's a projector type? I had a buddy run the 50w and I think that's what caused his headlights to slowly yellow.

46Tbird
07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Holy shit, a thread about ricer lights goes four pages....

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 11:53 AM

I love me some pretty lights... as long as they are functional and serve a purpose.

re-rx7
07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Theres alot that goes into kelvin and wattage that determines the specific light output.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 12:05 PM

What's rice about them, Danny? The fact that yellow is the most functional color to be used to cut through fog? No one said anything about driving around with them on all the time like the rivers do.

Function > form. HIDs are amazing, when done properly and correctly. Sucks it too so long for them to finally overcome halogen bulbs.

DirtyD
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
You don't think the concentration of heat will damage the housing, especially if it's a projector type? I had a buddy run the 50w and I think that's what caused his headlights to slowly yellow.

The 11-12 reflector housings are big enough to dissipate the small increase in heat, I'm pretty sure. I know my F150 headlights were.

As for projector setups, they have a much better venting system due to the decreased size of the housing, but Xenon bulbs also burn much cooler than halogen bulbs. A 50W Xenon bulbs burns about the same Fahrenheit temps as a 20-30W halogen since you are igniting an inert gas rather than heating a metal element through resistance which creates most of the heat.

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Function > form. HIDs are amazing, when done properly and correctly. Sucks it too so long for them to finally overcome halogen bulbs.

Yep. LED will be the next big thing. Low heat, low maintenance, not shock/vibration sensitive and long lasting. Aftermarket LED conversion kits are just starting to hit the market, they aren't quite there on output compared to 4300k xenon or factory LED lamps, but they're close.

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I just bout a new 5k kit, lol an entire kit is cheaper than buying replacement bulbs from DDM. I'm happy with the output my 35w puts out. My wife already gripes at me how bright they are I just want to change the color a bit to more white then and less blue.

Oh an the stock housing is rated at 55w halogens, so 55w xenon should be fine.

Dominic Toretto
04-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Thread from the dead. I'm a newb to electronics. What's the difference in 35W and 55W. Yes I know 20W for the inevitable smartass remarks lol :). Guessing one draws more power off the battery?

-Alex

DirtyD
04-01-2014, 03:46 PM
As well as generates more heat.

Dominic Toretto
04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
As well as generates more heat.

I am thinking about ordering a set from DDM since they are cheap and can't really be upset if I eff anything up. The only harness option is for Dual in Dual out, what does that mean? And what is an Error eliminator?

-Alex

DirtyD
04-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Error eliminator is for the BMW cars, which have relay error codes for when a ballasts goes out.

As for the dual in dual out, I am not sure. I would assume it's a daul ended harness to tap each individual ballasts into the battery.

re-rx7
04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I have a set of yellow HIDS if anyone wants them. 20$

Dominic Toretto
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
I have a set of yellow HIDS if anyone wants them. 20$

What bulb type?

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
About to place my order with DDM. There is only one option for "HID Harness" which is "Dual in Dual Out." Is this something I need to order or no?

When I click the description it gives this text:

"Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again. Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad';s and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 20A at 12vdc. Not required when using High / Low kits."

Since this will be for fogs and I am not using any other HIDs, should I go ahead and order this harness?

-Alex

DirtyD
04-08-2014, 09:31 AM
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Dominic Toretto
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Good rule of thumb.

-Alex