PDA

View Full Version : Long tube Gaines, Is it worth it?

KnightRider5.0
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Posting this as a question for everyone who has done long tunes. What number did you have before and after and would you do it again? I've heard both sides so far and am looking for proven noticeable Gaines.

Zeek
07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Not worth it. Get a offroad xpipe and be done with it save your time and money!

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Not worth it. Get a offroad xpipe and be done with it save your time and money!

It seems down low they significant gains but up top there isnt much. I would just do a Intake, Tune, and X/H pipe and call it a day. The headers and Boss Intake might net you a few more ponies but it really isnt worth the price. Spray it.

Rebelracer568
07-21-2013, 10:22 AM
I have jba's on my car. Notice more higher rpm horse power and a better pull. I dont have before or after horsepower numbers. But I would do it again.

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
I have jba's on my car. Notice more higher rpm horse power and a better pull. I dont have before or after horsepower numbers. But I would do it again.

After install what did it all cost you?

GunsUp
07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Everything I've heard is the best gains come with a boss mani, helps get your low end power back.

Rebelracer568
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
After install cost me 1000. I did it all my self. That included x-pipe. And I had bama tunes.

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Everything I've heard is the best gains come with a boss mani, helps get your low end power back.
Say what?

After install cost me 1000. I did it all my self. That included x-pipe. And I had bama tunes.

Not bad actually. Doing them both at the sametime makes it hard to tell if it was the cat deletes or the Headers.

Rebelracer568
07-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Yea I have catted xpipe on my car I cant stand the sound of off road x pipes so I still have some restriction but the sound is great

Midnight11
07-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Worth it

GunsUp
07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Say what?

Not bad actually. Doing them both at the sametime makes it hard to tell if it was the cat deletes or the Headers.

The long tubes don't add a ton of power, for best results get a boss intake.

The Boss manifold achieves higher gains in high rpm but you lose some power on the low end, I have been told the LT's help get some of the low end power back. That's what Midnight11 told me, he has the setup.

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Yea I have catted xpipe on my car I cant stand the sound of off road x pipes so I still have some restriction but the sound is great
I hear that. I will probally go with the H pipe.
Worth it

How can you say that. You raced Zeek and beat him by a fender correct? I cant see spending that much cash for a Fender. Just my opinion.

GunsUp
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I hear that. I will probally go with the H pipe.

How can you say that. You raced Zeek and beat him by a fender correct? I cant see spending that much cash for a Fender. Just my opinion.

Zeek has a freak of nature car like Beau. Good power from the factory.

Some of us aren't as lucky. rated at 412 from the factory my ass

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Zeek has a freak of nature car like Beau. Good power from the factory.

Some of us aren't as lucky. rated at 412 from the factory my ass

Lol must be a "wed" car.

GunsUp
07-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Lol must be a "wed" car.

I hear they give out free Red Bulls on Wed

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I hear they give out free Red Bulls on Wed

Probally. :signs8:

Rebelracer568
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
I know with my set up I ran my buddies steeda cai and bama race tune. Both cars had 3.55s and I walked him by about 2 cars.
I wish mine was a factory freak.

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 12:31 PM
It seems to me, that 3:31's are better for hwy pulls. I would like to run you. I live in Gainesville. I have JLT CAI and bama tunes, AB's.

Rebelracer568
07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Yea I like 3.31s as well. I wanted 3.55s for road racing. THat would be a good run. Im about to start working in sanger again so ill be closer

5PointSlow
07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I had LTs on the car before the blower and the gains through the curve were much better than the stockers. peak power wasn't a huge gain like everyone expects. its power under the curve that really matters... the boss mani doesn't really add power either. It moves the power curve as well. The sound alone to me was worth the money. The gains post blower install make it even better.

Midnight11
07-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Bc I said worth it. I have more power through the curve and I'm going boost. Also have a lot less money in mine then you think

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Bc I said worth it. I have more power through the curve and I'm going boost. Also have a lot less money in mine then you think

Baragin hunter huh! LOL Btw how you like the K springs? Are they straight bolt on or do you need Diff dampers?

Dan12GT
07-21-2013, 03:19 PM
LTs are probably the most costly bolt on mod you can do, outside of major suspension components or forced induction, due to initial part cost and labor,(most people have them installed due to the difficulty of the installation). The peak gains won't be huge on our cars. Our exhaust manifolds are actually a lot more efficient than previous Mustang GT models. You will however build your power curve up no matter what, regardless of the peak HP gain. I think it is a great part to offset the low end losses from a boss manifold too. They are even better in S/C setups as you will obviously be pushing more air and better exhaust flow will naturally net you more power.

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 03:31 PM
LTs are probably the most costly bolt on mod you can do, outside of major suspension components or forced induction, due to initial part cost and labor,(most people have them installed due to the difficulty of the installation). The peak gains won't be huge on our cars. Our exhaust manifolds are actually a lot more efficient than previous Mustang GT models. You will however build your power curve up no matter what, regardless of the peak HP gain. I think it is a great part to offset the low end losses from a boss manifold too. They are even better in S/C setups as you will obviously be pushing more air and better exhaust flow will naturally net you more power.

I agree for F/I setups the benfits are pretty apparent.

Midnight11
07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I agree for F/I setups the benfits are pretty apparent.

And you wonder why I said worth it. I'm going fi

re-rx7
07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
And you wonder why I said worth it. I'm going fi

Im going spray.:hidesbehindsofa:

GunsUp
07-22-2013, 12:52 PM

You'll want more.

Midnight11
07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

I have that too so Goodluck lol

Kaane
07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Gains are actually really good.

ARH dyno.

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/Dyno_Sheet_2011_Mustang_5_0.htm

Vorshlag installed same headers and with no tuning gained 32rwhp.

JOHNGT
07-23-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't know anything about the 5.0. I know my car went from 301rwhp to 333rwhp after my longtubes were installed. I say that's a good increase. Only issue I have is ground clearance.

Doug1227
07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
My car is supercharged and I'm just running cat deletes. I'm sure that long tubes would help me, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Most increases you see are from going stock to longtubes, not cat delete or offroad H/X to longtube. I'm thinking I might see another 20rwhp and am not sure it's worth it for that little.

Dominic Toretto
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Read through the posts here. No one has specified what diameter tubing they are going with for such gains. Are we talking about 1 3/4s or 1 7/8s?

-Alex

Midnight11
07-23-2013, 05:01 PM
1 7/8 or bust

Rebelracer568
07-23-2013, 09:30 PM
1 7/8" on my car

Dark Pony
07-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Actually 1 7/8 are overkill on these cars. Keep in mind, they are only 302's...I do have 1 7/8 on min, but only because I got such a good deal on mine. I'm only $500 invested in LT's with my install included. 1 3/4 would be perfectly fine on these cars. As far as it "being worth it"...that's all relative. Boss IM's do nothing for these cars. They shift the power and up higher n the RPMs and force you to spin the motor upwards of 7800 RPMs to see max gains out of it. I saw 13 HP and lost 22 ft lbs of Tq. I know I gained HP and Tq with my LT's, so IMO LT's were a great investment. These two mods are the most highly debated mods and people are always going to differ in opinions. All it takes is money...

Dominic Toretto
07-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Actually 1 7/8 are overkill on these cars.

That's what I was thinking. That's why I wanted to pose the question.

-Alex

Midnight11
07-24-2013, 10:12 AM
i really dont see how its an overkill but to each his own...

DirtyD
07-24-2013, 10:53 AM
My car is supercharged and I'm just running cat deletes. I'm sure that long tubes would help me, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Most increases you see are from going stock to longtubes, not cat delete or offroad H/X to longtube. I'm thinking I might see another 20rwhp and am not sure it's worth it for that little.

I understood it that LTs on a FI car helped out much more than on a n/a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Dominic Toretto
07-24-2013, 11:01 AM
I understood it that LTs on a FI car helped out much more than on a n/a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That is definitely true. Also work better on larger displacement motors. It is common place to see 18-25rwhp and similar torque on LS1s using 1 7/8s headers without a cam. I could see adding larger tubing if there was a big cam involved.

-Alex

KungFuHamster
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
why are a larger diameter headers not worth as much on these cars? Dark Pony hit the nail on the head. These motors, while badass, are still only displacing 302 ci.

same reason a larger throttle body isnt worth anything.

How much you pick up from an aftermarket part is based on how crappy the stock stuff is. So the fact that one doesn't really gain a significant amount of power from stock is a testament to how good the stock stuff is. The other part of the equation is velocity.

Ill take a smaller primary tube header with a good exhaust velocity and keep my torque. we're talking about street cars here right?

JOHNGT
07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
I have 1 5/8 American racing headers btw

Doug1227
07-25-2013, 12:20 PM
^ You mean the same diameter as we all used to run on 250 HP Foxes 10 years ago?

BLK2012GT
07-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Actually 1 7/8 are overkill on these cars. Keep in mind, they are only 302's...I do have 1 7/8 on min, but only because I got such a good deal on mine. I'm only $500 invested in LT's with my install included. 1 3/4 would be perfectly fine on these cars. As far as it "being worth it"...that's all relative. Boss IM's do nothing for these cars. They shift the power and up higher n the RPMs and force you to spin the motor upwards of 7800 RPMs to see max gains out of it. I saw 13 HP and lost 22 ft lbs of Tq. I know I gained HP and Tq with my LT's, so IMO LT's were a great investment. These two mods are the most highly debated mods and people are always going to differ in opinions. All it takes is money...

I picked up more tq and hp when I switched from bbk 1 5/8 to American racing 1 7/8.

5PointSlow
07-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I run the 1 7/8 SWs. Beside the O2 sensor issues (solved by relocating courtesy of true street. ) well worth the money.

Dark Pony
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
I picked up more tq and hp when I switched from bbk 1 5/8 to American racing 1 7/8.

With the same setup as before? Just a header swap? How much HP and TQ? It couldn't have been much.

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I run the 1 7/8 SWs. Beside the O2 sensor issues (solved by relocating courtesy of true street. ) well worth the money.

Was that because the front sensors were reading off of only one primary tube? My jbas are the same and im wondering if I need to relocate them to the collector.

Toby
07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Was that because the front sensors were reading off of only one primary tube? My jbas are the same and im wondering if I need to relocate them to the collector.

no his were aimed to where water would collect in the sensor and kill it.

IMO putting the oxygen sensor in a primary tube is the dumbest idea i have seen. Not only does it restrict flow on that cylinder, it does not give an accurate reading back to the computer.

JDMLOL
07-26-2013, 10:20 PM
no his were aimed to where water would collect in the sensor and kill it.

IMO putting the oxygen sensor in a primary tube is the dumbest idea i have seen. Not only does it restrict flow on that cylinder, it does not give an accurate reading back to the computer.

Im considering throwing extensions on and moving them. I guess I'd need a custom tune though. Im like you, idk why they did that either because it doesnt get a reading from the other cylinders so if they have issues it wouldn't throw a MIL.

Toby
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM
You wont need extensions, just move the harness around a little and they will reach.

Dark Pony
07-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Im considering throwing extensions on and moving them. I guess I'd need a custom tune though. Im like you, idk why they did that either because it doesnt get a reading from the other cylinders so if they have issues it wouldn't throw a MIL.

I have an extra one if you need it

G-Mann
08-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Love my LT's and what it brought to the table for my tuners to work with, particularly in conjunction with my other mods.

I would most def do it over again I was thinking to myself when I walked a SRT 392 a couple weeks back.

Depends on how long I keep my ride would it be worth the investment. Might be keeping her for a while if she continues to run this strong and no issues.