PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on future motor build

blownaltered
07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Alright this isn't anything I'm doing right now but once I make my decision I will start piecing it together. I plan on staying supercharged since my head unit will go as far as I ever plan on taking it. So here is what I'm trying to decide on.

Do I want to stay 302 based since all my accessories will work with it. Go with a 331 or 363 port my heads, intake and raise the boost a little.

Or

Go 351 based with either a 408 or a 427. In this case I would need different heads, intake, headers but I would make more power on less boost and more torque. I can always sell my old setup to make up for the cost of the new heads and intake.

Opinions are welcome. I'm just undecided and keep going back and forth on this. I want to start buying parts here in the next couple months. It will not be a fast build since I'm in no big hurry.

downtime!
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Boost technology has come to a point where the big inch Windsors aren't really needed, unless you're looking for the baddest of the bad. My favorite combo has always been the 331 (more favorable rod angle), and built right, with a little boost, would be all I would ever need in a lightweight Fox.

And on that note, I need a Fox I can modify, damn it! I love my '82, but it's entirely too original to start cutting up.

Toby
07-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I would go the 351 route since the factory block is stronger. Assuming you are not going to buy a dart block. But if you are then hands down go with a 347 ci 3.25 stroke 4.125 bore.

Grandpa
07-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Dart blocked 363 with a Brooks kit. If you're going to do it, go big.

blownaltered
07-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I would go the 351 route since the factory block is stronger. Assuming you are not going to buy a dart block. But if you are then hands down go with a 347 ci 3.25 stroke 4.125 bore.

I wouldn't build either without a Dart block, I'm not dropping the coin on a forged internals without a strong block. Don't want to have to do it again later if I turn it up.

I have been thinking about that as well. But I already have a good blower. Might build it and run the supercharger for a while then drop the coin on a nice single setup.

Toby
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd21/mustangguy71/141FD803-FC5E-477B-9CA2-FFE473565569-9011-00000EB869A3C566_zps70998d0c.jpg

blownaltered
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd21/mustangguy71/141FD803-FC5E-477B-9CA2-FFE473565569-9011-00000EB869A3C566_zps70998d0c.jpg

I wish I just know what I want. This is something I am going to start piecing together over a year or two honestly. I just want to figure out exactly what I'm doing and then I will start buying parts. The biggest expense is going to be the block. Some things I will find used like a bigger intake and bigger heads. Once I do the build I will sell all my old stuff to recover some of the money.

Junkie
07-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Is he using a factory 302 block, R block, Dart block?

If you already have a good aftermarket or R block, then its hard to justify the swap to a 351 based motor. If starting from scratch there is ZERO reason other than class racing to stay 302 based.

If you have a good block, I vote 363 with an 88mm minimum.

If you go 351 I vote 427+ci with twin billet 76's

Orrrrrrrr ERL 427, LS based, twin 7675s

blownaltered
07-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Is he using a factory 302 block, R block, Dart block?

If you already have a good aftermarket or R block, then its hard to justify the swap to a 351 based motor. If starting from scratch there is ZERO reason other than class racing to stay 302 based.

If you have a good block, I vote 363 with an 88mm minimum.

If you go 351 I vote 427+ci with twin billet 76's

Don't currently have a dart block, that's why I'm having the debate. I am starting from scratch.

Junkie
07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Don't currently have a dart block, that's why I'm having the debate. I am starting from scratch.

Then go 351 based without a doubt

Grandpa
07-12-2013, 06:16 PM

I'm all about that. I think that would be SICK!

blownaltered
07-12-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm all about that. I think that would be SICK!

I'm sticking with a ford motor. Not jumping ship, it's not that I don't like ls motors I just want it to be a ford.

STROKD
07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm sticking with a ford motor. Not jumping ship, it's not that I don't like ls motors I just want it to be a ford.

Good man. One of the fastest cars in Dallas has a little Ford motor in it, so don't be worried.

I'd do a 427-454 stroker 9.5 decked Dart. You will want new heads and intake manifold with any sized motor you go with.

FYI, besides the headers/and a/c bracket (you already have a cowl hood), its $100 bucks more to build a 9.5 vs a 8.2 (what my dad was quoted)... All things equal is about 80-100rw difference. (454 vs 363 for instance), not to mention the monster torque differences.

Junkie
07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Good man. One of the fastest cars in Dallas has a little Ford motor in it, so don't be worried.

I'd do a 427-454 stroker 9.5 decked Dart. You will want new heads and intake manifold with any sized motor you go with.

FYI, besides the headers/and a/c bracket (you already have a cowl hood), its $100 bucks more to build a 9.5 vs a 8.2 (what my dad was quoted)... All things equal is about 80-100rw difference. (454 vs 363 for instance), not to mention the monster torque differences.

Who are you referring to? Also we both know building new, a SBF is 2x if not more then a chevy....

blownaltered
07-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Who are you referring to? Also we both know building new, a SBF is 2x if not more then a chevy....

He was talking to me. I know Chevy motors are cheaper to build but that's not what I want. I've built a blown 408 in a sportsman block years ago so I know they can be expensive but it the way I'm going. Also why I'm taking my time. My wife is going back to school so I can't just fork over the money at one time like I would like to. I'm going to get a plan figured out and start buying parts. That way when I get all the parts I can get it started

STROKD
07-12-2013, 10:07 PM

Hamilton. Unless he's gone LSX too... Pretty sure he has a baby windsor stroker...

Grandpa
07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Donnie, stick a terminator motor in it with a twinscrew on e85. 750rw all day easily. The bonus is Matt willhate it almost as much as he hates being employed. Lol

blownaltered
07-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Donnie, stick a terminator motor in it with a twinscrew on e85. 750rw all day easily. The bonus is Matt willhate it almost as much as he hates being employed. Lol

Lmfao, that cracks me up. But I would like to stay pushrod. I guess I just want to be old school about it.

Junkie
07-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Hamilton. Unless he's gone LSX too... Pretty sure he has a baby windsor stroker...

Yeah Chris is a good example of a local fast SBF, but we both know thats a nice ass motor. But look at how many fast Chevy based motors there are...

I guess I'm still a cheap ass, I also like it when parts are easily available. I break too much and race way too much to deal with SBF's

blownaltered
07-13-2013, 02:49 AM
In all honesty this car will never see the track and isn't raced often. I just want to build something in the 650 to 750 range. Nothing ridiculous, I never plan on having the fastest car

STROKD
07-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Donnie isn't a punk ass bitch to do something like that.

I like my new new job, thank you very much. :)

Toby
07-13-2013, 01:20 PM
A sbf can be built just as cheap as an ls motor and make comparable power if you know what you are doing. It's just an air pump. The 347 in my car now can be duplicated for around 3k with brand new parts, or less then 2k with used parts and you building it and it made 430 to the tires, got 20+ mpg hwy and drove great.

STROKD
07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
In all honesty this car will never see the track and isn't raced often. I just want to build something in the 650 to 750 range. Nothing ridiculous, I never plan on having the fastest car

In that case, get a B351 sportsman block, make it a 408 and put decent heads on it. 15 or so psi on pump and you will be around 650-700rw. Its a proven formula.

Toby
07-13-2013, 01:22 PM

A pushrod motor will be much cheaper then that and make just as much if not more power depending on how aggressive you get with it.

STROKD
07-13-2013, 02:37 PM
A pushrod motor will be much cheaper then that and make just as much if not more power depending on how aggressive you get with it.

:pepper:

Junkie
07-13-2013, 03:33 PM
A sbf can be built just as cheap as an ls motor and make comparable power if you know what you are doing. It's just an air pump. The 347 in my car now can be duplicated for around 3k with brand new parts, or less then 2k with used parts and you building it and it made 430 to the tires, got 20+ mpg hwy and drove great.

Same thing can be done with an LS motor cheaper, and no SBF I've ever owned got the same mileage as any LS I've owned. Which have been a LOT of both

Grandpa
07-13-2013, 03:50 PM
With a pushrod Ford it will be a radical, vibrating, noisy, smelly hot rod type car his wife and kids wont enjoy riding around in for any length of time. With a smooth four valve terminator set up it will drive like a stock car until he puts his foot in it to hear that wonderful whone noise and tons of torque at near idle. Not to mention worlds easier to tune and get inspected as well. Modern tech is a wonderful thing.

Toby
07-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Same thing can be done with an LS motor cheaper, and no SBF I've ever owned got the same mileage as any LS I've owned. Which have been a LOT of both

I will agree the ls gets better mileage, but apples to apples they cost about the same to build with similar hp results. I have built a bunch of both, my ls1 in the truck actually ended up costing more then My 347 in the mustang. I doubt he is much worried about fuel mileage if he wants a big hp car. It's is nice but doesn't always come with the territory. Different strokes man.

A short stoke 347 with the proper cam, heads, intake with a little boost from that monster blower will easily make 600-700 and drive smooth as can be.

331fox
12-03-2013, 12:54 AM
I will agree the ls gets better mileage, but apples to apples they cost about the same to build with similar hp results. I have built a bunch of both, my ls1 in the truck actually ended up costing more then My 347 in the mustang. I doubt he is much worried about fuel mileage if he wants a big hp car. It's is nice but doesn't always come with the territory. Different strokes man.

A short stoke 347 with the proper cam, heads, intake with a little boost from that monster blower will easily make 600-700 and drive smooth as can be.

I couldn't agree more.

blownaltered
12-03-2013, 08:17 PM

What rods and pistons would you use with a short stroke 347? Would that be a 331 rod with the bigger 363 pistons?

Toby
12-04-2013, 01:06 AM
What rods and pistons would you use with a short stroke 347? Would that be a 331 rod with the bigger 363 pistons?

Yes and no. A 347 and 331 both use the same rod but the compression height is different thus different pistons. normally you would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, along with a 5.4 rod and a 4.125 bore piston. Personally I would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, a sbc 5.7 rod, along with a set of custom built pistons that have the correct xompression height that will put you at a zero deck and 4.125 bore. Reason for the sbc rods, is because they are readily available and having the longer rod gives you a better rod angle thus less side load on the pistons and less pressure and friction on the cylinder walls which could equal a smoother runing engine that will last longer and make more power. but you will need to get a crank that has the rod journal cut to fit the 2.1" sbc rod journal rather then the conventional 2.123 sbf journal. most of the parts will be easy to get ots parts except the pistons. they may need to be custom made but i would have to do the math to figure the compression height needed along with the correct pin size, and ring placement and thickness for the application. I will have to do the math later but it would make a killer combo IMO!!

STROKD
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
What Toby said... i have basically that setup going in my car but it is a long rod big bore 351 instead of a 331... (374 cid vs 347). same concept, just larger block with a tad more stroke 3.5 vs 3.25.

blownaltered
12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes and no. A 347 and 331 both use the same rod but the compression height is different thus different pistons. normally you would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, along with a 5.4 rod and a 4.125 bore piston. Personally I would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, a sbc 5.7 rod, along with a set of custom built pistons that have the correct xompression height that will put you at a zero deck and 4.125 bore. Reason for the sbc rods, is because they are readily available and having the longer rod gives you a better rod angle thus less side load on the pistons and less pressure and friction on the cylinder walls which could equal a smoother runing engine that will last longer and make more power. but you will need to get a crank that has the rod journal cut to fit the 2.1" sbc rod journal rather then the conventional 2.123 sbf journal. most of the parts will be easy to get ots parts except the pistons. they may need to be custom made but i would have to do the math to figure the compression height needed along with the correct pin size, and ring placement and thickness for the application. I will have to do the math later but it would make a killer combo IMO!!

Now that sounds like something I would be interested in. I like the sound of that combo. How hard would it be to find a crank with those specs?

Toby
12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Now that sounds like something I would be interested in. I like the sound of that combo. How hard would it be to find a crank with those specs?

Would not be a problem. It's all ots parts

blownaltered
12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Would not be a problem. It's all ots parts

Well I guess I am going Internet shopping. I want to start picking up parts here and there so I can get ready for my build.

Toby
12-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I would suggest Callie's crank and rods, wiseco pistons. Give us a call at the shop, I will help ensure you get the correct parts.

Toby

blownaltered
12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I would suggest Callie's crank and rods, wiseco pistons. Give us a call at the shop, I will help ensure you get the correct parts.

Toby

I just looked up Callie's crank and holy hell they are nice. But holy fuck they are expensive. That might be over kill for what I'm wanting to build. I'm not sure I will ever turn her up past 700 and if I do it won't be above 800.

STROKD
12-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Toby

Id reco Lunati or Sonny Bryant crank, Oliver or Carillo rods and Je or Venolia pistons... but it might be out of the budget.

blownaltered
12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Id reco Lunati or Sonny Bryant crank, Oliver or Carillo rods and Je or Venolia pistons... but it might be out of the budget.

Callie cranks and lunati are the same price. The rods you mentioned are the same as Callie's as well. This isn't something I was going to buy all at one time, so the cost will be spread out a little but damn at this rate I'm looking at a 7k short block or more including machine work. The damn block I'm looking at is almost $2300. Damn the price of having fun.

Toby
12-05-2013, 09:30 PM

All of that is waay over kill for his setup. The parts I mentioned Will be good for around 1100-1200 hp. Should give him plenty of room to grow should he choose. And IMO wiseco pistons are far superior to je in every way. The last 10 sets or so of je I have installed in the past year, I have been less then impressed with. Just my .02

Toby
12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Callie cranks and lunati are the same price. The rods you mentioned are the same as Callie's as well. This isn't something I was going to buy all at one time, so the cost will be spread out a little but damn at this rate I'm looking at a 7k short block or more including machine work. The damn block I'm looking at is almost $2300. Damn the price of having fun.

Look into the Callie's comp star line. Those parts will more then suffice for your build.

blownaltered
12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Look into the Callie's comp star line. Those parts will more then suffice for your build.

That's better, damn those other were insane. I will say I like the dragonslayer crank as well by Callie. It's only about 500 more not 1100 more like the other cranks.

Toby
12-05-2013, 10:18 PM
That's better, damn those other were insane. I will say I like the dragonslayer crank as well by Callie. It's only about 500 more not 1100 more like the other cranks.

Yeah the dragon slayer stuff is badass, but over kill for your setup. The compstar stuff will easily hold 1k more then you will ever need. Will need to get them to grind the rod journals to a 2.100 but that is no issue. Stop by the shop one day and we can talk a little more in detail about this and get you setup with the correct parts.

blownaltered
12-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah the dragon slayer stuff is badass, but over kill for your setup. The compstar stuff will easily hold 1k more then you will ever need. Will need to get them to grind the rod journals to a 2.100 but that is no issue. Stop by the shop one day and we can talk a little more in detail about this and get you setup with the correct parts.

I will do that. I need to get a path started so that way when my motor lets go I will a have everything ready to build.

blownaltered
12-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Damn being iced in sucks. I keep Internet shopping and it's killing me. So what are the opinions on head and intake setup for a short stroke 347. My current setup has Edelbrock Performer 170 heads and a Edelbrock performer intake with an e303 cam. I know the cam will go to something more custom but what heads and intake would be better. Or are these good enough for the time being?

Toby
12-07-2013, 07:16 PM
I would go with a custom grind cam from Ed Curtis, a set of afr 205 renegade heads, and victor jr single plane with spyder upper intake setup. Something like what I had on my car would be great.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd21/mustangguy71/Mustang%20Build/7E173D66-BFF2-4748-83CD-0A1B24F6CF21_zpsfj4o3mnw.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/mustangguy71/media/Mustang%20Build/7E173D66-BFF2-4748-83CD-0A1B24F6CF21_zpsfj4o3mnw.jpg.html)

Grandpa
12-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Slooooooooow.

blownaltered
12-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I would go with a custom grind cam from Ed Curtis, a set of afr 205 renegade heads, and victor jr single plane with spyder upper intake setup. Something like what I had on my car would be great.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd21/mustangguy71/Mustang%20Build/7E173D66-BFF2-4748-83CD-0A1B24F6CF21_zpsfj4o3mnw.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/mustangguy71/media/Mustang%20Build/7E173D66-BFF2-4748-83CD-0A1B24F6CF21_zpsfj4o3mnw.jpg.html)

I was just looking at a super Vic intake and they aren't bad in price. I was a little shocked they weren't more. As for heads I have been looking at sets like that. Just wasn't sure on how big I needed to go for that.

Toby
12-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I was just looking at a super Vic intake and they aren't bad in price. I was a little shocked they weren't more. As for heads I have been looking at sets like that. Just wasn't sure on how big I needed to go for that.

A cylinder head that flows 240+ at .400 lift and 300+ at .600 should suffice. The intake setup is usually about the same price as any other intake setup. Keep in mind you will also need a fuel system, rails, pumps, lines etc.

blownaltered
12-07-2013, 08:40 PM
A cylinder head that flows 240+ at .400 lift and 300+ at .600 should suffice. The intake setup is usually about the same price as any other intake setup. Keep in mind you will also need a fuel system, rails, pumps, lines etc.

I know it's going to be a lot of stuff. I'm part dreaming and part shopping. Eventually I will build it all out. More or less I'm trying to plan a path and then start buying. If I can start getting motor components and fuel system components here and there it doesn't hurt your pocket book as bad. Hell I've been so bored I've been shopping turbo kits lately, but the only thing that will change in the setup for that will be cam choice. Everything else will be the same. I know the novi 2000 that's on it will make all the power I want but I just can't help looking at turbos.

Grandpa
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Depending on the motor build you choose if you spin the begeezus out of that 2000 headunit you could probably make 700rw or so with it. That would be a fun vert. Strokd's vert is a hell of alot of fun.

STROKD
12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
The motor Toby recommends is basically what is in the 90... short stroke 347 with a tad more bore since the block is aluminum. it is a lot of fun, but to be honest, a 408 is a lot more fun, esp for a heavy car.

blownaltered
12-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Depending on the motor build you choose if you spin the begeezus out of that 2000 headunit you could probably make 700rw or so with it. That would be a fun vert. Strokd's vert is a hell of alot of fun.

I'm not interested in spinning the hell out of the blower. That blower isn't small. It's the equivalent of a d1 in Procharger or a t trim in vortec. So it will move some air.

blownaltered
12-08-2013, 01:44 AM
The motor Toby recommends is basically what is in the 90... short stroke 347 with a tad more bore since the block is aluminum. it is a lot of fun, but to be honest, a 408 is a lot more fun, esp for a heavy car.

A 408 would be fun but I think it will be over kill for what I want. I never want 1000hp, I don't race often and when I do it's against Steve for shits and giggles.

blownaltered
12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
The other thing is I don't want to do to the vert what I did to my 01gt. I don't want to make it where it isn't fun to drive. By that I don't want to have to worry every time I take it out something might break. That car was more fun at 450 than it ever was at 625, but I think that had a lot to do with my combo, blower selection and builder.

Grandpa
12-08-2013, 01:09 PM
The other thing is I don't want to do to the vert what I did to my 01gt. I don't want to make it where it isn't fun to drive. By that I don't want to have to worry every time I take it out something might break. That car was more fun at 450 than it ever was at 625, but I think that had a lot to do with my combo, blower selection and builder.

I completely agree with that. Big HP cars aren't worth the hassle and headache unless you have the funds to replace things all the time and/or have multiple toys to play with for when one is broken.

blownaltered
12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I completely agree with that. Big HP cars aren't worth the hassle and headache unless you have the funds to replace things all the time and/or have multiple toys to play with for when one is broken.

That's also what's killing me. My car is fun as it is but I damn well know its a ticking time bomb, you have to love old ford 302s. So that's why I want to start getting parts. My theory is if I make the motor more efficient with more cubic inches, better heads, cam and intake I won't have to turn the blower up to make more power. If I can keep the boost about the same and make everything else better I will still pick up some ponies and be safe.

STROKD
12-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm not interested in spinning the hell out of the blower. That blower isn't small. It's the equivalent of a d1 in Procharger or a t trim in vortec. So it will move some air.

Donnie, someone lied to you. A novi 2k is almost as good as an old S trim V1... the d1 and t trim are much better.

A 408 will move more air all the time and have less lag. You already have the hood for clearance, if you are replacing shit anyway, all you need is an ac bracket and different headers. My dad spent a lot of money regretting not getting a stroker windsor... he wanted a fun reliable build like you do too, i told him at least 50 times to build a 351 block, but he knew best. now he has a heavy slow ass car with an expensive motor, where it could have been fucken fast for 100 bucks more for the bigger block.

blownaltered
12-09-2013, 03:25 AM
Donnie, someone lied to you. A novi 2k is almost as good as an old S trim V1... the d1 and t trim are much better.

A 408 will move more air all the time and have less lag. You already have the hood for clearance, if you are replacing shit anyway, all you need is an ac bracket and different headers. My dad spent a lot of money regretting not getting a stroker windsor... he wanted a fun reliable build like you do too, i told him at least 50 times to build a 351 block, but he knew best. now he has a heavy slow ass car with an expensive motor, where it could have been fucken fast for 100 bucks more for the bigger block.

This is a combo I saw on the corral. This looks like it could be fun. I'll sell off my blower if I go this route.

Dart IE built by Rick Hawver of RNH performance
9.3:1
AFR 205's
Shaft rockers
Super Vic intake with a 6061 elbow
120 injectors
E85
76 GTSHP turbo (3" downpipe and journal bearings)
Precision A/A intercooler (the 825hp one)
Viper T56
Kurgan tuned Big Stuff3

Made 954 a@26psi but dialed the boost down to 23ish

Grandpa
12-09-2013, 03:32 AM
a 408 would be fun but i think it will be over kill for what i want. I never want 1000hp, i don't race often and when i do it's against steve for shits and giggles.

the other thing is i don't want to do to the vert what i did to my 01gt. I don't want to make it where it isn't fun to drive. By that i don't want to have to worry every time i take it out something might break. That car was more fun at 450 than it ever was at 625, but i think that had a lot to do with my combo, blower selection and builder.

this is a combo i saw on the corral. This looks like it could be fun. I'll sell off my blower if i go this route.

Dart ie built by rick hawver of rnh performance
9.3:1
afr 205's
shaft rockers
super vic intake with a 6061 elbow
120 injectors
e85
76 gtshp turbo (3" downpipe and journal bearings)
precision a/a intercooler (the 825hp one)
viper t56
kurgan tuned big stuff3

made 954 a@26psi but dialed the boost down to 23ish

lmao...

blownaltered
12-09-2013, 03:59 AM
lmao...

I know, I know. I did forget to attach the fact that combo is on a 363 not a 408. I'm also bored out of my fucking mind so I keep looking up shit. I'm just thinking a combo like that with less boost will put me where I want to be and if I ever wanted to turn it up I could.

STROKD
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I know, I know. I did forget to attach the fact that combo is on a 363 not a 408. I'm also bored out of my fucking mind so I keep looking up shit. I'm just thinking a combo like that with less boost will put me where I want to be and if I ever wanted to turn it up I could.

If that was a 408 with bigger heads, itd be that power on like 17 psi.

I plan to make that on race gas at about 12, but im turning big rpm and have 2 turbos similar in size.

blownaltered
12-12-2013, 08:33 PM
If that was a 408 with bigger heads, itd be that power on like 17 psi.

I plan to make that on race gas at about 12, but im turning big rpm and have 2 turbos similar in size.

Trust me I know where your coming from but I have no desire to try and compete with guys running 1000hp. That's not what I'm into. Once upon a time I would have spent money to try and get there but I just want a certain power level and I will be fine. I know the 408 will make it easier but I would have to change to much stuff that I don't want to have to change.

I plan to make a plan to build both and see where I end up price wise. Since huge horsepower isn't my end goal it will most likely come down to price. If the 408 is within a certain amount of the 347 then I will start purchasing parts for it but if it is a lot more then I will stick with the 347, make my 650 to 700 hp and be happy.

STROKD
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Trust me I know where your coming from but I have no desire to try and compete with guys running 1000hp. That's not what I'm into. Once upon a time I would have spent money to try and get there but I just want a certain power level and I will be fine. I know the 408 will make it easier but I would have to change to much stuff that I don't want to have to change.

I plan to make a plan to build both and see where I end up price wise. Since huge horsepower isn't my end goal it will most likely come down to price. If the 408 is within a certain amount of the 347 then I will start purchasing parts for it but if it is a lot more then I will stick with the 347, make my 650 to 700 hp and be happy.
It depends on what you plan to replace anyway. If you are changing the intake and headers, parts are same price for either motor... if all you need is a gd ac bracket, ill buy a new one and give you my old one. The biggest deal is the hood which you already have... if you dont want huge power, you can get a sportsman 9.5 deck block like i had for cheaper than a dart or boss block for a baby motor... the sportsman block will support 800 rw with no problems, 1000 rw with billet main caps.

I know you arent trying to make big power, but the 408 just makes more sense. If I could afford another build Id sell you my 351 shortstroke and go to a 427 in a heartbeat...

blownaltered
12-13-2013, 02:01 PM
It depends on what you plan to replace anyway. If you are changing the intake and headers, parts are same price for either motor... if all you need is a gd ac bracket, ill buy a new one and give you my old one. The biggest deal is the hood which you already have... if you dont want huge power, you can get a sportsman 9.5 deck block like i had for cheaper than a dart or boss block for a baby motor... the sportsman block will support 800 rw with no problems, 1000 rw with billet main caps.

I know you arent trying to make big power, but the 408 just makes more sense. If I could afford another build Id sell you my 351 shortstroke and go to a 427 in a heartbeat...

So I've been reading a bunch today about the 351 swap and there isn't as many different parts as I thought. My water pump, timing cover and other misc parts are still good. I would definitely need bigger heads and a different intake but I was already looking at that. I thought I was going to have to change my kmember but I don't so that makes a huge difference in what I can do.

STROKD
12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
So I've been reading a bunch today about the 351 swap and there isn't as many different parts as I thought. My water pump, timing cover and other misc parts are still good. I would definitely need bigger heads and a different intake but I was already looking at that. I thought I was going to have to change my kmember but I don't so that makes a huge difference in what I can do.

Correct. You will need a new distributor and ac bracket, but heads, intake, headers etc you were upgrading anyway... nows the time to do it! That blower u have at 10 psi and pump should make 600 rw and have a ton of torque... dont know how much boost it will push but it will be easier to make good smooth power, and u can run a smaller cam so that makes it more driver friendly, and then u can run taller gears for better mpg too if u wanted...

blownaltered
12-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Correct. You will need a new distributor and ac bracket, but heads, intake, headers etc you were upgrading anyway... nows the time to do it! That blower u have at 10 psi and pump should make 600 rw and have a ton of torque... dont know how much boost it will push but it will be easier to make good smooth power, and u can run a smaller cam so that makes it more driver friendly, and then u can run taller gears for better mpg too if u wanted...

I actually have an msd distributor sitting on my shelf in the garage for a 351w. I have a vic jr intake but it is for a carb motor not efi, so I will sell that to get some money for they new intake. Hell I still have a 750 double pumper sitting on my shelf from one of my old 351w.

STROKD
12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I actually have an msd distributor sitting on my shelf in the garage for a 351w. I have a vic jr intake but it is for a carb motor not efi, so I will sell that to get some money for they new intake. Hell I still have a 750 double pumper sitting on my shelf from one of my old 351w.

If u go spyder style intake, u can use the one you have and have it converted. They drill holes and add the injector bungs and fuel rails attach to the bungs. This is how they are all done.

blownaltered
12-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I wonder who could convert that intake for me and what it would cost? I know a new one is around $450. I was looking at the spyder style intakes vs the one I have for my new build anyways.

Toby
12-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a spyder upper elbow and an accufab 90mm race tb I will sell you if interested...

Toby
12-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Oh and to swap from a 8.2 deck to a 9.5 all you will need is an ac bracket, headers, distributor, and oil pan. other then basic engine parts, ie intake manifold, etc your timing cover can be reused, engine mounts, trans, clutch setup. I am not sure about the brackets on that novi setup though. If it is not bolted ONLY to the cylinder head the you may need different brackets to make that work.. realistically the only things you will need to buy are the ac bracket and dizzy. Everything else you are planning to buy anyways so cost is the same.

blownaltered
12-14-2013, 01:02 AM
I have a spyder upper elbow and an accufab 90mm race tb I will sell you if interested...

Pm me a price on that. It should work with either combo I go with.