PDA

View Full Version : Procal installed- stealership gets a whole new meaning

Varilux
07-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Got the Ford Racing Procal tune installed today... Sam Pack of Lewisville charged $232 (two hours labor) for the install. Needless to say, that's the last they'll see of me. I was willing to stomach paying for an hour of labor for a 20 minute job, but two hours? Of course, maybe they were factoring in the time for the 15 mile test drive indicated by the odometer.

The tune itself seems to have "fixed" nearly everything about the car that let me down before... much more consistent and snappy accelerator response, much better shift from 1st to 2nd, and even the Pirellis are having trouble maintaining traction in 2nd now. Top end seems unchanged, but definitely perks things up down low. Car should have came with this tune from the factory.

re-rx7
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Fuck that's crazy high.

downtime!
07-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Wait, you paid someone 2 hours of labor to plug a box into the OBD2 port and hit some buttons? Why?

re-rx7
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Wait, you paid someone 2 hours of labor to plug a box into the OBD2 port and hit some buttons? Why?

This.

Varilux
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I had asked one of the service reps how much the install charge would be before ordering the Procal, and he said- "The minimum charge would probably be an hour- so around $110... unless it goes an hour and a half, in which case it'd be $180."

When I showed up this morning, the rep that took the keys said "Our normal charge is $232"
to which I said "the other rep said $110-180,"
to which he said "it all depends on how long it takes."

When I picked up the car, sure enough the bill was $232, which I told the rep was crazy considering I could have installed the tune myself in 20 minutes. He just said "that's our normal charge."

So fine, end of the day Sam Pack of Lewisville ripped me off for about $116. I had planned on having future service done by them (and will also be buying an F150 for the wife next Spring). Now I'll just drive up to Utter Ford rather than Sam Pack for future service and purchases. Oh, and for that measly $116 they have turned a customer who has given positive reviews of their dealership to friends and coworkers into someone who will do everything I can to make sure no one I know purchases as much as an air filter from them ever.

downtime!
07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
My point was, why didn't you just order the Procal and then do the install yourself? They charged you two hours of labor for less than 10 minutes worth of work.

If you don't plan any other mods, the ProCal isn't bad, but if you're going to change a few things in time, you really should have just gotten an XCAL and been done with it.

re-rx7
07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Install by dealer = under warranty still. Utter ford ftw. ;)

downtime!
07-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Warranty? WTF is a warranty? LOL!

kn7671
07-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Install by dealer = under warranty still. Utter ford ftw. ;)

Some parts are no longer under the factory warranty, but a Ford Racing warranty. That Ford Racing warranty trumps and technically negates any factory or purchased extended warranty on the items covered for only a maximum of 3-years from original new vehicle purchase date, or when there are 36,000 miles on the odometer, regardless of the current miles on the car.

If retaining some sort of warranty on certain parts gives you a little peace of mind, than it was worth it.

Rebelracer568
07-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Thats plum stupid. I work for westway and I know we wouldnt of charged that much. Not to mention why s 15mile test drive? All you do is plug it in, down load and fire up. Im sorry that happened to you man. Makes us dealership guys look bad

moostang09
07-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Sounds to me like you got ripped of $232....

Dominic Toretto
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Thats plum stupid. I work for westway and I know we wouldnt of charged that much. Not to mention why s 15mile test drive? All you do is plug it in, down load and fire up. Im sorry that happened to you man. Makes us dealership guys look bad

I bought my car from Westway Ford. Love the service department out there. And flat screens above the urinals is a classy touch.

-Alex

JDMLOL
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Warranty? WTF is a warranty? LOL!

Lol. Most of us have warranty deletes. Haha

downtime!
07-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Lol. Most of us have warranty deletes. Haha2nd mod I installed on mine!

Varilux
07-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Install by dealer = under warranty still. Utter ford ftw

So, I'm guessing you are happy with the service you've received at Utter? If so, thanks for the tip! They were the first place I visited when I was shopping for my '14, but they honestly didn't seem too interested in Mustangs...

Other than taking my '65 up there for inspection, and ordering a sensor for an Expedition, I've not dealt with their service department.

Seems everyone likes Westway- its just a bit of a hike from Hickory Creek!

Rebelracer568
07-15-2013, 08:17 AM
My warranty was voided before it left the lot. I had both csrs on lift swapping parts from my 12 to my 14. Before I took the 14 home lol