PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best short throw?

Craizie
07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
As the title says, What's the best short throw for a '14 5.0?

GunsUp
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
MGW is what most will say

Phuck Phace
07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
M
g
w

Craizie
07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Cool. Has anyone else noticed the shifter feeling "rubbery" going into gears after a while? It's almost like it passes through a rubber seal and it doesnt want to go in gear.

DirtyD
07-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Mgw

kanetrain
07-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I like my Hurst. I didn't install the reverse LED that came with it, but I bet it's neat if you like that kind of thing.

kanetrain
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Cool. Has anyone else noticed the shifter feeling "rubbery" going into gears after a while? It's almost like it passes through a rubber seal and it doesnt want to go in gear.

Yes I felt this a lot with the stock shifter. It wasn't after a while either, it was from the factory. You'll enjoy a short throw(any brand) a lot more than the stock. I even had the SR(off brand) short throw for a while and it worked perfectly. The mounting bolts on the bottom threaded themselves out and bent eventually so I couldn't put the car into 4th or 6th gear, but until that point it was fine.

JDBishopArts
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
MGW. Do it.

OG Fox
07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
MGW is hands down the best. Hurst is complete crap, doesnt retain the reverse lockout so you could be in reverse or first, who knows. barton is decent but for a few more bucks you can nab the MGW. Ford Racing is basically the barton but over priced as hell.

Craizie
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys. Mine just started with the rubber feeling and it's really annoying. Any recommended places to buy one?

BLK2012GT
07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
If no one has mention I really love my MGW shifter.

fordplay
07-10-2013, 07:14 AM
OK... I have had zero trouble with the stock shifter. Next meet let's find one of each and compare for real!! I think I need to play with someone elses stick to see what I'm missing.. (oh yes I said that)

kanetrain
07-10-2013, 07:55 AM
MGW is hands down the best. Hurst is complete crap, doesnt retain the reverse lockout so you could be in reverse or first, who knows. barton is decent but for a few more bucks you can nab the MGW. Ford Racing is basically the barton but over priced as hell.

You don't know how to tell if your car is in first or reverse? Maybe you should stick to an automatic from here on out.

03MachMe
07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
OK... I have had zero trouble with the stock shifter.

Same here. I drove nics car with the mgw and was nice but the stock one works just fine for me

DirtyD
07-10-2013, 09:13 AM
You don't know how to tell if your car is in first or reverse? Maybe you should stick to an automatic from here on out.
What he is saying is that there is no effort involved in putting the car in reverse like you have to do with the stock shifter. You can easily downshift from 2nd to 1st and completely put the car in reverse and not actually move the shifter.

Same here. I drove nics car with the mgw and was nice but the stock one works just fine for me
You drove it? Dammit. All I got to do was sit in the seat and row the gears. But it still felt great.

re-rx7
07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I have the S&R shifter and I like mine.

kanetrain
07-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I have the S&R shifter and I like mine.

You put it on yet? Not bad right?

03MachMe
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
You drove it? Dammit. All I got to do was sit in the seat and row the gears. But it still felt great.

I drove it for one pass at ennis because Nic couldn't do a burnout lol

re-rx7
07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Yup got her fixed and I love it. I owe yuh man. Haha

OG Fox
07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

The Hurst Shifter doesn't keep the Reverse lockout feature so you have to install a led light to tell you when you're in reverse or in first.

That's exactly what I like to say about products I put on my car "not bad right":snoopfacepalm:

kanetrain
07-10-2013, 03:23 PM
The Hurst Shifter doesn't keep the Reverse lockout feature so you have to install a led light to tell you when you're in reverse or in first.

That's exactly what I like to say about products I put on my car "not bad right":snoopfacepalm:

Let me correct you. The Hurst shifter doesn't keep the reverse lockout feature, so you have the option to install an led light to tell you when you're in reverse. I'm a pretty good driver, so I can tell when I'm in reverse. (plus your factory gauge tells you)

As for your second comment, that SR performance shifter is actually pretty nice. I liked it a lot when I had it on my car.

OG Fox
07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Let me correct you. The Hurst shifter doesn't keep the reverse lockout feature, so you have the option to install an led light to tell you when you're in reverse. I'm a pretty good driver, so I can tell when I'm in reverse. (plus your factory gauge tells you)

As for your second comment, that SR performance shifter is actually pretty nice. I liked it a lot when I had it on my car.

I apologize for not being an expert on inferior products.

kanetrain
07-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Ohhh it's ok. People talk our their asses all the time.

El_Tortuga
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Obviously outnumbered here, but very happy with Barton and 2-post bracket. Rock solid, but a little buzzy noisy at times

OG Fox
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Ohhh it's ok. People talk our their asses all the time.

ditto

Grandpa
07-10-2013, 05:24 PM
After some research, talking with multiple people and trying different shifters in others cars I chose the MGW. It's a solid well thought out piece and kept the factory lockout option. The MGW is a whole unit to where as some other shifters felt more like a Band-Aid to keep the costs down.

As with any mod, it's all personal preference and budget.

Dark Pony
07-28-2013, 11:50 PM
I just got a Barton with the 2 post bracket. I should have it this week and I'll be testing it out. I'm a pretty picky guy, so if I don't like it, I'll get an MGW. I do like the stock shifter though. It's very smooth and never had any issues with deflected shifts.

downtime!
07-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Barton here as well, using the original Barton bracket. No complaints at all. This is the first time I've strayed away from MGW (had them on every Mustang I've owned in the past 7 years or so, even the 4.0 cars) and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

re-rx7
07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
I apologize for not being an expert on inferior products.

Inferior? Really? Well it works fine and I havent had any problems out of it so does that still make it inferior? Plus it was free.

OG Fox
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Inferior? Really? Well it works fine and I havent had any problems out of it so does that still make it inferior? Plus it was free.

Have you used an MGW? have you compared the build qualities of the two shifters?

re-rx7
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Have you used an MGW? have you compared the build qualities of the two shifters?

Ive felt both, yes. I could tell no differnce. Even if there were a small diff is it worth the xtra 400$? or $200 if I had to buy it?

downtime!
07-29-2013, 01:45 PM
If you could honestly tell no difference between the two, that tells me you haven't actually driven a car with the MGW installed. There are several reasons why they cost twice as much, and when you actually drive a car with one installed, you will immediately be able to tell what they are. Noise and vibration, or the lack thereof, will be your first clue. Stock type operation, utilizing the push down lockout for reverse will be your second.

JDMLOL
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I like my mgw. Decreased throw some, not a ton. I like it because it is very solid and direct. The stocker was okay, a little sloppy, but the mgw is great. I felt a barton car with the bracket and it felt good too. I never drove it though.

re-rx7
07-29-2013, 02:17 PM
If you could honestly tell no difference between the two, that tells me you haven't actually driven a car with the MGW installed. There are several reasons why they cost twice as much, and when you actually drive a car with one installed, you will immediately be able to tell what they are. Noise and vibration, or the lack thereof, will be your first clue. Stock type operation, utilizing the push down lockout for reverse will be your second.

You do realize the SR is push down lockout as well? I do not have any noise or vibration?

Midnight11
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Mgw!!

downtime!
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
You do realize the SR is push down lockout as well? I do not have any noise or vibration?Didn't realize that, I thought they were like the Hurst. SR is American Muscles in house line right? I usually don't do bargain parts, but they have some good things as well, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll still stick with quality parts that were engineered in house and not whipped up from other peoples hard work.

JDMLOL
07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Didn't realize that, I thought they were like the Hurst. SR is American Muscles in house line right? I usually don't do bargain parts, but they have some good things as well, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll still stick with quality parts that were engineered in house and not whipped up from other peoples hard work.

Usually the bargain parts are made by the same reputable named companies with a private brand's stamp on it. Not always, but most of the time. If a big name company has excess capacity they will produce extra units at a discounted price and lable them differently. It's not much different than store brand foods. Mrs. Baird's bread is put in a great value package. The question is, what name brand is making these parts? I believe ford racing parts are done the same way, except they are usually marked up with some sort of warranty.

re-rx7
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Didn't realize that, I thought they were like the Hurst. SR is American Muscles in house line right? I usually don't do bargain parts, but they have some good things as well, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll still stick with quality parts that were engineered in house and not whipped up from other peoples hard work.
I belive so and im not compaining it was free!
Usually the bargain parts are made by the same reputable named companies with a private brand's stamp on it. Not always, but most of the time. If a big name company has excess capacity they will produce extra units at a discounted price and lable them differently. It's not much different than store brand foods. Mrs. Baird's bread is put in a great value package. The question is, what name brand is making these parts? I believe ford racing parts are done the same way, except they are usually marked up with some sort of warranty.

Bargain places buy the part and copy it. Ask me how I know. I worked for Top Speed.

JDMLOL
07-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Bargain places buy the part and copy it. Ask me how I know. I worked for Top Speed.

Without a license agreement or anything? The design wasn't patented? Hmm. I know that some companies do work the way I described.

re-rx7
07-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Without a license agreement or anything? The design wasn't patented? Hmm. I know that some companies do work the way I described.

Even if its patented they change little details. Thats why some parts wor great but other flop and break. Because sometimes they have to change a detail that really matters. I know one time my boss was shipping out Cusco Anti roll bars to Taiwan to get copied. Fun fact according to him Taiwan has higher qulity control then that of China LOL

Im really suspect of some of these headers I see out and about. They look like chinese welds and thin walled piping. BBk headers for one.

KnightRider5.0
07-29-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm honestly ready to smash my
Ford racing shifter and two post bracket with a hammer for my 2012 GT shifter has started doing the same thing as the stocker sloppy hard push against detinents to engage gears, I had Ford do the install an they checked it said everything's good so it's either crap or the tranny having issues. But it's been In for about 4,000 miles for 500 tough as hell finally broke in at about 680 ish, next 700-3,000 miles smooth but firm engaged good. Now it's a daily thing of my yelling you mother F...Er. Seriously considering removing it. Just my experience. I don't track my car and it' occasionally sees hard driving. My recommendation MGW.

downtime!
07-30-2013, 12:01 AM

Bargain places buy the part and copy it. Ask me how I know. I worked for Top Speed.That's exactly what AM does, and UPR as well. I try my best to not support either one.

ochoblanco
07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
That's exactly what AM does, and UPR as well. I try my best to not support either one.

The beauty of reverse engineering. I see it all the time in my profession as my unpatented Huck bolts have been copied by every Chinese manufacturer in existence...and then they fail...and I get a call to come save my former customer.

On Topic, MGW is fantastic especially in the MT-82 garbage tranny. The Barton is also top of the line. I have driven 5.0's with both (shifter and bracket) and they are very similar in feel...which makes me sad when I realize I still have my stock shifter in my car... :(

Dark Pony
08-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Just an update...put the Barton in with the 2 post bracket and its awesome! The bracket did wonders and the shifter, while a little notchy, is very direct. I know once its broken in, it shouldn't be as notchy though.

Rebelracer568
08-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Just an update...put the Barton in with the 2 post bracket and its awesome! The bracket did wonders and the shifter, while a little notchy, is very direct. I know once its broken in, it shouldn't be as notchy though.

Thats the reaso I returned my barton and bought a mgw. Stock shifter and bartontwo post mount works decent. Been racing my car like that till I install mgw

JDC
08-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I believe Hurst has remodeled their shifter to use the lockout or create a resistance barrier for reverse. They are selling them on lethal performance and hurts website not american muscle.

wbt
08-19-2013, 11:37 PM
I really enjoyed the Barton shifter on my 2011 FWIW.

south.texas.dead.I
08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Everyone I've talked to says they love the mgw