PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you drive your car?

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm curious, but how hard do you drive your car?

Do you just run it when the opportunity comes along, or do you beat the snot out of it every chance you get?

Burnouts?
Donuts?
Drifting it around corners?
Powershifting?
Redline it every time you drive it?

I'm guessing I'm probably the most tame here on the board. I've only done three mild burnouts/passes the one night we went to the track.

I rarely drive it hard at all. It's not unusual at all to go for a drive and not even get close to redline. I've had a few races, but it's not the norm.

No drifting/sliding. I'd be pissed at myself if I lost it and curb checked a wheel!

Donuts - I think I've only attempted it once and it was miserable attempt. So I don't think I even know how to do it right. Haha.

jng2985
07-08-2013, 05:47 PM
like a bat out of hell.. Yet to curb, not many burn outs, no power shifts "I don't trust the shifter", donuts in the rain to scare the ol'e lady, daily driving shifting around 3k, so with 20k on the dash I'd say im fairly calm.

Sieran
07-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Moderate most days. There is one stretch on the way to work that i might redline it, but that is maybe once or twice a week in 2nd gear. 3rd and redline is too damn fast for a service road.

I do accelerate faster than the average pack of cars from a stop light, but rarely over 4k rpm before i shift.

I have power slid around a few corners, but that was mainly when i was getting a feel for the car and wanted to see how it behaved. One unintentional 300 degree spin.

03MachMe
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I'll get on it every now and then when I drive it but only raced once at the drag and one auto X so far. Will get sideways very rarely

kn7671
07-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Let me get this straight Steve, are you confessing to being a Mustang "poser"?

I drive my car gentle, mild, mixed, and hard, all depending on conditions and mood. I've seen average fuel mileage for a tank ranging from 12mpg to 27mpg, and my tires and brakes are generally replaced entirely every 15k to 20k miles.

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Let me get this straight Steve, are you confessing to being a Mustang "poser"?

How did you come to that conclusion? lol.

JDBishopArts
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Only to dust the tires off at the track
No
Sometimes. It's fun. Don't know if I'd call it drifting but breaking it loose around a turn from time to time is fun.
No
I've hit redline a couple times on accident. Once racing a dude "not" on the street. Once at the track.

svt-eric
07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
i drive like my grandpa. slow shifts, 5 to 10 under the speed limit, only burnouts i do are at the track, , never redline, quit doing donuts, and no drifting for me! straight lines!

only time my car sees full power is at the track or when i "used" to street race.

GunsUp
07-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Never raced or abused in any way. Never been to the track. Never done a donut, Never raced from a dig. Straight Virgin

Oxford14Stang
07-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I've done, only two stand still burnouts and about 7 just light the tires up and get them warm, all of which were at the track. I've taken my car down a track 10 total passes each gear to the redline. As far as driving it on the streets, I'll play if their is an opportunity and when I do I'll run it to 7000. I'll get on the car when I have some buddies with me as well, kind of for fun. As far as donuts none and have no reason to. As far as powershifting I do admit Ive done it every time its gone down the track and even at the street races when I had taken it. As for now I try my best not to but sometimes by habit it happens :/ as for driving the car and no one to race I run the gears up to about 2500-3000 depending. And if I do any pulls its 2-3 and run it to about 4500-5k

46Tbird
07-08-2013, 07:01 PM
About like it was intended. It's a hot rod, so it gets used, but I don't think I'm abusive.
Do you just run it when the opportunity comes along, or do you beat the snot out of it every chance you get? I'm easy on it most of the time - especially now that it's hot. I can't remember the last time I was "on it."
Burnouts?
Sure, at the track.
Donuts?
Never once.
Nah, not with the intention of "drifting" but I've had to relax the steering wheel a bit as the rear was steering itself through a turn.
Powershifting?
Yep. My vice. I'm smooth and it's easy for me, so it's not nearly as abusive as some of the clunky driving I've seen from people that don't powershift.
I've only bumped the factory rev limiter a handful of times, so I would say no.

I've made 30ish passes in the car and that's about the only time I really abuse it. I've taken it up to 125 a couple of times too. Some of you guys taking these cars to 140+ are pretty much insane, especially with the stock suspension.

White_lightning
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM
i'm an old man in a vette.. speed limiter is 70.. I might push it to 75... but nothing really beyond that....

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Danny, I think I need to get some driving tips from you to get my car down the track faster. :)

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
i'm an old man in a vette.. speed limiter is 70.. I might push it to 75... but nothing really beyond that....

You're more full of shit than a Thanksgiving turkey. :nutkick:

Rydawg1
07-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I would say I typically drive it "spirited". I mean it's a 400HP pony car. Typically I shift around 3-4k range with the occasional pull from 2-4th getting on the highway. I had the clutch stick to the floor one time and since then I seldom get close to, much less go over 6k RPM's. I've done 4-5 burnouts after I got my O/R H, CAI and tune for no other reason than I wanted to. And I've currently got ~9k miles on her.

GTRacerX
07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Bought my 2013 back in August 2012 and I just hit 5,000 miles last week. This is my daily. As far as driving habits I love going fast but I've gone to jail once for street racing in my younger more reckless days so guess I'm kinda paranoid now about going to fast on the streets. I have yet to take it to the track but I want to.

JKrieg
07-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Drive it like it was advertised. 1 motor and three tranny rebuilds later, oh I forgot the rear end once. Btw its whining again :( . Banging gears will demolish a mt-82 as for the rear end and cyl 8 misfire that destroyed the head. Well thats just bs I have no tune just cb you should have heard Fords excuses. Too be fair they did cover two payments and always have me in a rental no hate.

Mrjeremyt
07-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I drive mine somewhat hard, always want to hear the exhaust bounce off of cars and building. lowest between 3-4k upshifts, and still knowing people to get warranty covered is the reason I got the extended 75k mile warranty. So I'll beat the hell out of it nicely for 3 years or so and trade her in on something else, if she lasts that long. lol

Doug1227
07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I drive like a grandpa with the exception of at least one WOT sprint for about 5 seconds on each and every drive I make.... LOL!

DirtyD
07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I drive mine probably like most normal Mustang drivers. Not the douchebag ones though. Lol

Depending on where I'm driving, and whether or not I have a passenger with me, I typically shift around 2000-2300 RPM through all gears. Every now and again if I feel like giving her some wind sprints I will get on it.

Not hardcore, tire smoking burnouts. Just some simple spin 'em and go ordeals.

Not drifting, as I don't feel comfortable enough doing that. Lol

I have powershifted yet, but I have bounced it off redline a couple of times.

JKrieg
07-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm with Derek I'm dont do burnouts or rev no douchebag shit but I push mine harder than most

Midnight11
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I get 200 miles a tank that should tell you how I drive

JKrieg
07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
^Sounds like we got a little in common lmao.

FastFordDriver
07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
At the track, I'm trying to blow it up. On the street, like a girl :) Don't like the po-po following me.

FastFordDriver
07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
No offense to any girls of course.

saunupe1911
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I've never done a hot and heavy burnout, but I've power braked and let them bad boys spin for a few seconds. But I punch whenever I need to, especially in morning DNT traffic. I would categorize myself as a very spirited driver...and that's what the car is designed for. I may hit a corner or 2 real hard just to get sideways and show out but no Vaughn Gitten like drifts. No heavy abuse, donuts, or power shifting the 6R80.

re-rx7
07-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I baby it. Drive it like a sedan accord most of the time. No need to beat the shit out of it all the time. When I race I'm hard on it but most of the just a to b.

Slow Five-O
07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Just yesterday i was just going to take the car to get gas, decided to make 3 passes before i got to the gas station. There was another fox on draglites at the gas station when i got there. He was fooled by my 17inch bullitt wheels and i went and made two more passes in mexico and drove home.

I really don't get it out unless i intend to have fun. It's not my daily.

downtime!
07-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Pretty obvious how I drive mine. 37000 miles, a couple of hundred launches, and countless trips to Mexico. Of course, now that the '05 is sharing garage space, she only comes out on special occasions.

Rebelracer568
07-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I ooccasionaly get on car but im pretty tame with it. I do track car on strip and on road course but daily driving im pretty chill on the throttle

Dominic Toretto
07-09-2013, 08:50 AM
I've got on it a few times on the highway, but that's it. It's my DD so I prefer things to not be broken.

-Alex

kn7671
07-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Bought my 2013 back in August 2012 and I just hit 5,000 miles last week. This is my daily.

Holy crap, so your car will only see 5,500 miles in a year. That would seem very odd to me, owning/driving a car less than 500-miles per month, I might almost feel like I would be missing out.

My 2014 daily driver is 3-months old today, and has approx 7,000 miles on the clock already, averaging over 2k per month or over 24k per year.

That brings up a good point, if I worked somewhere that was just 5-10 miles from my home, there would be a good chance my car would not be driven hard much at all with less opportunity to drive it hard.

DirtyD
07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Holy crap, so your car will only see 5,500 miles in a year. That would seem very odd to me, owning/driving a car less than 500-miles per month, I might almost feel like I would be missing out.

My 2014 daily driver is 3-months old today, and has approx 7,000 miles on the clock already, averaging over 2k per month or over 24k per year.

That brings up a good point, if I worked somewhere that was just 5-10 miles from my home, there would be a good chance my car would not be driven hard much at all with less opportunity to drive it hard.
I will have over 23000 on my 2013 when it turns a year old in 2 weeks.

NDSP
07-09-2013, 10:20 AM
At the track, I'm trying to blow it up. On the street, like a girl :) Don't like the po-po following me.

Ditto, I tired of being followed by the police many years ago. No more loud, police attracting exhaust or driving for me. I've shifted from a drag oriented mind set to a corner carving mind set. So my driving is mild when it comes to acceleration, but I do tend to take corners as fast as i can without making the tires howl. I leave the tire howl turns to the autox events.

Grandpa
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Ditto, I tired of being followed by the police many years ago. No more loud, police attracting exhaust or driving for me. I've shifted from a drag oriented mind set to a corner carving mind set. So my driving is mild when it comes to acceleration, but I do tend to take corners as fast as i can without making the tires howl. I leave the tire howl turns to the autox events.

Please make an introduction thread. Welcome to the board. :)

BLK2012GT
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Yea you're going to love e85 then.:blah:

BLK2012GT
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM

I bought mine in Feb '12 brand new and I have 5600 miles on it now.

Grandpa
07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I bought mine in Feb '12 brand new and I have 5600 miles on it now.

I'm sure a big part of that is because the car has spent at least half that time down and/or in the shop for the build.

I've had mine since March '12 and it's got 9600 miles on it. That's 2600 more miles than I put on my 93 Cobra that I owned for 7 years. So while 9600 isn't a lot for most people, it's a ton for me especially in one year considering the car is just a toy that gets driven when I have the time.

Midnight11
07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Yea you're going to love e85 then.:blah:

Was I bitching about it? Nope I bought a sports car not a mpg sedan

Doug
07-09-2013, 10:55 AM
When I drive the Coupe.. I drive it hard. No crazy donuts or burnouts, don't want to wear out the tires. Do shift hard and let it pull as far as it will go..

Oxford14Stang
07-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Lol, I hear you on that but I get roughly 220-250 per tank but I do A LOT of city driving.

I ooccasionaly get on car but im pretty tame with it. I do track car on strip and on road course but daily driving im pretty chill on the throttle

I can say this guy is full of sh*t lol. Nah, his comment is dead on. Tho he failed to mention no donuts, only burn outs at the track, only read lines when he is racing and fairly seldom does any pulls. He drives the car like I drove my 99' ranger

Grandpa
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I got 289 miles to my last tank of gas and that was with a couple of on-ramp blasts but the rest was grandpa driving. lol

DirtyD
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I typically average 250-270 before I fill up.

Dominic Toretto
07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Ditto, I tired of being followed by the police many years ago.

Been a VERY long time since I have been profiled by 5ohs. It happened a lot when I had the Supra and some when I first got the C5 but that was years ago... and I live in Irving where the police are known haters. Actually I was coming down beltline across 161 and the speed limit drops like 10mph. I was doing 5 over what I thought was the speed limit, so 15 over the actual speed limit and the cop let me off with a warning.

-Alex

Dark Pony
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Only burned out at the track. Sometimes I feel the itch to nail it getting on the highway, but rarely redline it. I've only been challenged a few times on the street...those times I ran it pretty hard. Other than that, mine is a daily at the moment so I don't abuse it too often.

Dark Pony
07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
One of my last tanks, I got 315 miles out of it.

DirtyD
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM
One of my last tanks, I got 315 miles out of it.
That long commute on the highway must be nice. And that's even with E85. Damn.

Dark Pony
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM
That long commute on the highway must be nice. And that's even with E85. Damn.

It was mixed driving. I've been running on my 93 tune for a while now.

Joey289
07-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I drive it fairly easy. It has 10k miles on it. MPG average since new is 23.5 (hand calc) with highest tank being 25.7 and lowest being 20.4. I have made 3-1/8 mile passes on street tires. I have done a few red light runs where I shifter at 7k through 3rd gear then let off. Have had it to 140 on the highway twice. Other than that I shift at 2k rpm and keep the rpms betweeon 1k-2k 90% of the time.

Joey289
07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I typically average 250-270 before I fill up.

I get 350-370 per tank. My commute to work is 70 miles a day (350 a week) and I only fill up once a week.

DirtyD
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
It was mixed driving. I've been running on my 93 tune for a while now.
That makes me feel better. lol

I get 350-370 per tank. My commute to work is 70 miles a day (350 a week) and I only fill up once a week.
Wow, that's a long commute. What speed are you typically running on the highway?

Rebelracer568
07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Lol, I hear you on that but I get roughly 220-250 per tank but I do A LOT of city driving.

I can say this guy is full of sh*t lol. Nah, his comment is dead on. Tho he failed to mention no donuts, only burn outs at the track, only read lines when he is racing and fairly seldom does any pulls. He drives the car like I drove my 99' ranger
Haha yea im more reserved dont see a reason to dog my car. You on other hand always reaming out your car lol

Joey289
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
That makes me feel better. lol

Wow, that's a long commute. What speed are you typically running on the highway?

65-70 when traffic allows. Any slower or faster gives big drop in MPG. Also, I am never in a rush to get to work lol.

Selcouth
07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I granny shift every drive, but at least once a month I'll get on it during a cruise. Other than that I just enjoy driving even if its going the speed limit.

Slow Five-O
07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Once a month?

I'm questioning why some of you own Mustangs :p

RedRedemption
07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I try to keep it under 2k rpm when in the city, which is like always. Rarely on the highway and I get about 19-20 in the city with 3.73s. I push it sometimes when I have few miles to E.

kn7671
07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Once a month?

I'm questioning why some of you own Mustangs :p

That's the thing about a Mustang, you get owners and drivers of all types that use there car in various ways. This is one of the primary reasons why its the only true remaining Pony car.

Name another car that has space for 4, decent trunk space, good visibility, tons of performance parts, factory options, good price, good resale, desire from all age groups, that is near top or top in all performance categories for the price, etc...

Who are we to judge if someone wants to buy a $30k+ car and park it most of the time, they have a car they enjoy owning and driving, and that's all that matters. On the other hand, if you want to buy a $30k+ car and drive it hard or beat the crap out of it, nobody should be judging others for that either.

Slow Five-O
07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
That's the thing about a Mustang, you get owners and drivers of all types that use there car in various ways. This is one of the primary reasons why its the only true remaining Pony car.

Name another car that has space for 4, decent trunk space, good visibility, tons of performance parts, factory options, good price, good resale, desire from all age groups, that is near top or top in all performance categories for the price, etc...

Who are we to judge if someone wants to buy a $30k+ car and park it most of the time, they have a car they enjoy owning and driving, and that's all that matters. On the other hand, if you want to buy a $30k+ car and drive it hard or beat the crap out of it, nobody should be judging others for that either.

Just kidding/poking.

I do give my stepmom a hard time sometimes though. Has an 01 GT she's owned since new and it has 35k miles on it. And it was her daily fit the first bit of that.

KnightRider5.0
07-10-2013, 11:04 PM

Do you just run it when the opportunity comes along, or do you beat the snot out of it every chance you get?

Burnouts?
Donuts?
Powershifting?

I'm guessing I'm probably the most tame here on the board. I've only done three mild burnouts/passes the one night we went to the track.

I rarely drive it hard at all. It's not unusual at all to go for a drive and not even get close to redline. I've had a few races, but it's not the norm.

No drifting/sliding. I'd be pissed at myself if I lost it and curb checked a wheel!

Donuts - I think I've only attempted it once and it was miserable attempt. So I don't think I even know how to do it right. Haha.

Hehe, well I've got $2,500 into my car so usually as long as no ones around I take off smoke threw second and let out. Getting on the highway WOT 3rd gear till redline and shift. But other then that I just relax. Unless some dumb sack cuts me off then the shit hits the fan but eh.

STROKD
07-11-2013, 12:01 AM
I drive all my cars hard... was topped out for about 5 miles yesterday on way to work racing a Mini Cooper in my CC.

I dont drift (on purpose), and I dont powershift. Overall I drive aggressive without tearing up the drivetrain. Ive learned over the years how to drive fast being smooth and not break shit (as long as it isn't weak).

Grandpa
07-11-2013, 12:43 AM
I dont drift (on purpose), and I dont powershift. Overall I drive aggressive without tearing up the drivetrain. Ive learned over the years how to drive fast being smooth and not break shit (as long as it isn't weak).

Say what?! :happy175:

BLK2012GT
07-11-2013, 01:05 AM
I drive mine long and hard like nine inch Nic.

Dark Pony
07-11-2013, 06:37 AM
I drive mine long and hard like nine inch Nic.

Correction: Nic is only 6 in hard...9 in soft foo. :pics-stfu:

Pepperinyoureye
07-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I drive the car fairly spirited on my daily commute. Car has also seen 4 autocross events, 2 road course events, 6 or so trips to the drag strip, and 1 drift event. The car just turned 26k and hasn't missed a beat.

STROKD
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Say what?! :happy175:

You missed the last part in ()... Having 2 times the tq the part is rated for isn't my fault.

Junkie
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I try to break every driveline part, often.

STROKD
07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I try to break every driveline part, often.

You usually succeed too!

Grandpa
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Will > t56, 6060

Supra Getrag > Will

Junkie
07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Will > t56, 6060

Supra Getrag > Will

Already broke a Getrag as well lol :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

re-rx7
07-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Already broke a Getrag as well lol :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

2 I believe.

GTOphil
07-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Relatively easy. Only spun tires once for my best friend to play around taking off from a stop light. Daily driver and not driven a lot. I'd live to keep the miles low on her...had her since February and put almost 3,000 on her (1,400 of those were a trip to St. Louis and back lol).

Also got 26.2 mpg on that trip with a stock-tuned auto, wife and 2 kids and about 200 lbs of luggage in the car.