PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms

Dominic Toretto
07-08-2013, 08:38 AM
At what point should one consider switching to aftermarket control arms? I see a lot of aftermarket manufacturers producing upper and lower rear control arms for these cars. Since I am stock-piling parts right now, wasn't sure if this was something I should go ahead and get as well. Thanks guys.

-Alex

BlueBolt
07-08-2013, 09:11 AM
If you have any wheel hop or are lowered any then yes get some control arms

5PointSlow
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I run the brembo/GT500 stock lowers with roush upper. No wheel hop issues and no NVH.

JDBishopArts
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
BMR makes a good product and Jason (Jayman) with Hypermotive Performance, one of our vendors has great deals and service on them.

Dominic Toretto
07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
What is NVH?

-Alex

DirtyD
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
What is NVH?

-Alex
Noise Vibration and Harshness

Dominic Toretto
07-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Anyone considered using GT500 control arms? I would assume that they would be much stronger than the stock GT control arms and probably still able to argue them for warranty issues.

-Alex

jayman33
07-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Dealerships would be hard pressed to void a warranty or determine the cause of an issue was due to using aftermarket LCA's.
Also, the GT500 LCA's are still stamped steel with rubber bushings. Deflection isn't necessarily bad in a suspension but too much is.
I spent the majority of my day yesterday grilling a race team on their suspension and they proved my theory right in regards to LCA's. BMR or Whiteline are the brands I would choose. I have Whiteline's LCA's on our 650HP GT, my Boss and our 800HP GT500 with zero issues and zero increased NVH. Both brands use a soft enough material to offer a little deflection but are hard enough to eliminate those typical issues found in street driving.

Dominic Toretto
07-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Dealerships would be hard pressed to void a warranty or determine the cause of an issue was due to using aftermarket LCA's.
Also, the GT500 LCA's are still stamped steel with rubber bushings. Deflection isn't necessarily bad in a suspension but too much is.
I spent the majority of my day yesterday grilling a race team on their suspension and they proved my theory right in regards to LCA's. BMR or Whiteline are the brands I would choose. I have Whiteline's LCA's on our 650HP GT, my Boss and our 800HP GT500 with zero issues and zero increased NVH. Both brands use a soft enough material to offer a little deflection but are hard enough to eliminate those typical issues found in street driving.

Thank you for the informational and prompt response :). Since the GT500s (Assuming regular GTs the manufacturing process) are stamped steel, what are the Whiteline and BMRs manufacturing process for these pieces?

-Alex

DirtyD
07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the informational and prompt response :). Since the GT500s (Assuming regular GTs the manufacturing process) are stamped steel, what are the Whiteline and BMRs manufacturing process for these pieces?

-Alex

Tubular steel with penetration welds at each joint. I don't know if they are full penetration or not, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jayman33
07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Correct, whiteline use 4130 chromoly with tig weld. BMR is mild steel with I beleive mig weld.

emery2483
07-24-2013, 08:52 PM
what do y'all think about the bbk lca?

jayman33
07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Dont know much about them

Toby
07-24-2013, 10:48 PM
You can't go wrong with bmr stuff. I have installed dozens of them with great fitment every time! also dont forget about the relocation brackets if you are lowered and plan to hit the track.

Give us a call at Truestreet, we are a dealer for BMR stuff, we can get you a great price on the parts with installation!

Luke
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
+1 for BMR!

Dan12GT
07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I love my BMR stuff. Every suspension mod I have is BMR.

Lowering springs, UCA, LCAs, Panhard, Panhard Support, LCA relos

Dark Pony
07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Be mindful of the bushing you choose as well. It will greatly affect NVH...

2012mustang76123
08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
sorry to bump but the guy that is installing my lowering springs said control arms are a must for these cars after they are lowered.

to lower a mustang it costs over 1k now in parts/ labor?

DirtyD
08-13-2013, 08:06 PM
sorry to bump but the guy that is installing my lowering springs said control arms are a must for these cars after they are lowered.

to lower a mustang it costs over 1k now in parts/ labor?

That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I'd find someone else to install them for you. And quick.

03MachMe
08-13-2013, 08:30 PM
LCAs were a must for me. My car popped like crazy going over Bumps after the sportlines. What all are you having installed? I could see 1k plus for parts and labor if your doing shocks as well

DirtyD
08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I was thinking front control arms. Haha. Back to the truck days.

2012mustang76123
08-13-2013, 11:31 PM
LCAs were a must for me. My car popped like crazy going over Bumps after the sportlines. What all are you having installed? I could see 1k plus for parts and labor if your doing shocks as well

panhard bar, lowering springs were 360 shipped. Install with alignment is 300, cheapest control arms I found were 400. Looking at just over 1k.

DirtyD
08-13-2013, 11:37 PM
panhard bar, lowering springs were 360 shipped. Install with alignment is 300, cheapest control arms I found were 400. Looking at just over 1k.

Lower control arms you can do in a driveway with some buddies and beer.

Are you looking at adjustable LCAs or fixed length? Not really any need for adjustables.

2012mustang76123
08-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Lower control arms you can do in a driveway with some buddies and beer.

Are you looking at adjustable LCAs or fixed length? Not really any need for adjustables.

not really sure every other car i've had I always gotten adjustable when I needed to change them this time idk.

BMR brand seems to be the best and looking at 400+

03MachMe
08-14-2013, 12:21 AM

I can do the install at my house and all you will need is alignment. And just get the non adjustable Bmr and relocation brackets and you will be fine. I have done 5 5.0s spring installs and it is easy. If you want to drive to wylie just let me know

2012mustang76123
08-14-2013, 12:49 AM
I can do the install at my house and all you will need is alignment. And just get the non adjustable Bmr and relocation brackets and you will be fine. I have done 5 5.0s spring installs and it is easy. If you want to drive to wylie just let me know

Ok thanks i'll let you know still trying to decide wether or not to lower it, with all the work+cost required and sometimes I do have to take the car over heavy gravel/uneven roads (railyard) still debating.

Pepperinyoureye
08-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks Hypermotive on the quick shipping on my LCA brackets from Whiteline this week. I'll be installing them along with a set of J&M LCAs this weekend so I'll post my opinions after the install.

jayman33
08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
You bet:)

Dominic Toretto
11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Bumping this post. Didn't want to start a new one. So after my car has been lowered for a few weeks now, I still can't tell if I need LCAs. How would I determine that? Seems to drive and sound just as fine as it did on stock springs and panhard bar.

-Alex

Grandpa
11-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Looks like BMR is the way to go.

Jayman, send me a price check please. :)

JDMLOL
11-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Bumping this post. Didn't want to start a new one. So after my car has been lowered for a few weeks now, I still can't tell if I need LCAs. How would I determine that? Seems to drive and sound just as fine as it did on stock springs and panhard bar.

-Alex

Static lcas are only going to firm up the rear and help with traction. When you lower the car it's good to pick up relocation brackets to recalibrate the geometry of the rear end which keeps the wheels planted when launching. Based on my understanding you want the lcas parallel with the ground for maximum traction which are what the brackets are for. I have a good bookmark to another forum on my computer that explains everything better and describes what is needed to properly lower mustangs. I can pm it to you later.

Dominic Toretto
11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I have a good bookmark to another forum on my computer that explains everything better and describes what is needed to properly lower mustangs. I can pm it to you later.

Thanks I'd appreciate it :) Or if you want to just post it here. I may not be the only one with that question.

-Alex