PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

Dominic Toretto
06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't know if it's just my car but, the oil pressure gauge only moves when I turn the engine on or off. No matter what rpm the engine is spinning the needle NEVER moves. My LS1 Corvette's gauge was extremely sensitive and I could see it move with any change in rpm. This seems like a cause for concern, does this happen to you guys also?

-Alex

rriddle3
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
The gauges in these cars are just an electronic representation of a real gauge and are not terribly sensitive to slight variations. The stationary needle appearance is normal.

Mrjeremyt
06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
I've never really seen an oil gauge do much on a Ford since the mid 90's other than laying flat when there isnt any oil...

Dominic Toretto
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
The gauges in these cars are just an electronic representation of a real gauge and are not terribly sensitive to slight variations. The stationary needle appearance is normal.

Well at least I can now say there is something about the car I don't like.

-Alex

fordplay
06-27-2013, 07:21 AM
I had this discussion with my autoshop teacher when I was 16.. as both my Monte Carlo and trans am oil gauge bounced like mad and sat at 0 at every stop, and no other car (outside of gm did this) he said its the way gm measures it, if the pressure really fluctuated that much there would be a problem. I dont think the fords is an on off gauge.. and maybe its not sensitive enough to read 3 psi variations. But at idle.. it not sitting on the zero pressure peg

Dominic Toretto
06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I had this discussion with my autoshop teacher when I was 16.. as both my Monte Carlo and trans am oil gauge bounced like mad and sat at 0 at every stop, and no other car (outside of gm did this) he said its the way gm measures it, if the pressure really fluctuated that much there would be a problem. I dont think the fords is an on off gauge.. and maybe its not sensitive enough to read 3 psi variations. But at idle.. it not sitting on the zero pressure peg

The gauge in my Corvette was dead on precise. There was a range from 0 - 120psi with 60 in the middle iirc. Read 40 at a fully warmed up idle, but a cold start would read 60. Hard acceleration would be over 80, so you always knew where your pressure was at. When the engine started going south, I knew it way in advance because the pressure started reading 20 at idle. It's very good... no necessary information to have in a performance car.

-Alex

Oxford14Stang
06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
As a tech as a ford dealership I can tell you the gauge is reading right. Only time I've seen them move is when someone has left oil out of them. The 4.0L mustangs were real bad about reading no oil pressure after an oil change. Would take it about 5-10 seconds before it'd pick back up to normal than like you said. Never move. Its normal don't worry about it. If it ever moves, than there is a problem lol