PDA

View Full Version : Any Weight Trainers/Body Builders on Here?

Pages : [1] 2

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Maybe we can get a sticky thread going for those that are into physical wellness in general. Anyway, I do like to work out and stay healthy. I have however, hit a plateau and trying to over come that. I bought some creatine powder yesterday to begin incorporating into my training sessions. Anyone use this before and what results have you noticed if you have?

-Alex

5PointSlow
06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I usually take a pre workout with creatine in it, but i dont take creatine by itself. Its really only good for "balloning" your muscles with water. They look bigger but your no stronger.

I do a pre, a BCAA filled intra workout and then protein after.

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I've noticed that most supplements have a creatine incorporated in them also. I wasn't sure if taking it seperately would yield "better" results.

-Alex

White_lightning
06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
i'm Fat.. but i like to work out.. im not really a body builder... I just like to try to move some weight.. does that count?

that being said.. creatine is bullshit.. all it does is make you retain intermuscular water and bloat you.

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
i'm Fat.. but i like to work out.. im not really a body builder... I just like to try to move some weight.. does that count?

that being said.. creatine is bullshit.. all it does is make you retain intermuscular water and bloat you.

Yes that counts lol. Well I see some pretty stout-looking guys taking creatine and moving some massive amount of weights. Normally I would assume that they are on the roids but, IDK why they would spend money if it didn't work. That's just my take on it.

On a side note, I did notice the Nitric Oxide works pretty well.

-Alex

03MachMe
06-21-2013, 02:51 PM
I work out from time to time but mostly like to play any sport for a workout. Ran track for UNT my freshman year so i'm more into being in shape than body building. with saying that I am far from where I used to be but hopefully can get back there, just need some motivation.

White_lightning
06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Yes that counts lol. Well I see some pretty stout-looking guys taking creatine and moving some massive amount of weights. Normally I would assume that they are on the roids but, IDK why they would spend money if it didn't work. That's just my take on it.

On a side note, I did notice the Nitric Oxide works pretty well.

-Alex

taking a bunch of shit and moving weight is mutually exclusive... i have moved some above average weight on the bench and all i was taking was vit C and glutamine.. does that mean that they made me do it? if i was eating 4lbs of creatine a day i would have still done it.

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 03:03 PM
taking a bunch of shit and moving weight is mutually exclusive... i have moved some above average weight on the bench and all i was taking was vit C and glutamine.. does that mean that they made me do it? if i was eating 4lbs of creatine a day i would have still done it.

I believe their is some science to the diet/performance ratio. I seriously doubt the same person could operate equally in the gym if his diet was binge drinking 5 days a week versus having a well-balanced nutritious diet. It's not to say that something made you do it, versus something assisting with increased muscle mass building to increase your limits wouldn't you agree?

-Alex

White_lightning
06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I believe their is some science to the diet/performance ratio. I seriously doubt the same person could operate equally in the gym if his diet was binge drinking 5 days a week versus having a well-balanced nutritious diet. It's not to say that something made you do it, versus something assisting with increased muscle mass building to increase your limits wouldn't you agree?

-Alex

diet? i agree 100%.. but there is no clinical proof on most of the suppliments on the market.. there is no regulatory board or standard and none if it is FDA tested/approved. all the " independent studys" are mostly bullshit.

their title says what they are . " Suppliments".. for the most part if you eat a decently balanced diet and maybe throw in some basics like a multi vitamin and glutamine just to add for recovery you should be good..

diet 100% makes a difference.. but like i said.. 99% of the suppliments sold are junk.

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 04:31 PM
99% of the suppliments sold are junk.

Could you elaborate please? Not sure what supplements you are talking about specifically. Proteins, NOX, energy boosters, stuff for recovery. From what I gather most of those products just take natural ingredients and concentrate them.

I would definitely say I have seen a noticeable increase using protein shakes and notice a greater pump using Nitric Oxide. They aren't placebos.

-Alex

BLK2012GT
06-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I workout my right arm drinking arm all the time.:troll3:

White_lightning
06-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Could you elaborate please? Not sure what supplements you are talking about specifically. Proteins, NOX, energy boosters, stuff for recovery. From what I gather most of those products just take natural ingredients and concentrate them.

I would definitely say I have seen a noticeable increase using protein shakes and notice a greater pump using Nitric Oxide. They aren't placebos.

-Alex

If you ate more protein.. You wouldnt need a shake..

The nox stuff is a vascular constrictor from what i remember.. I might be wrong.. But none of that stuff is fda tested or approved.. Supplement companies are not regulated and can make any claims they want. Im sure aome of it work... But people often expect miracles.

Dominic Toretto
06-21-2013, 05:49 PM
If you ate more protein.. You wouldnt need a shake..

The nox stuff is a vascular constrictor from what i remember.. I might be wrong.. But none of that stuff is fda tested or approved.. Supplement companies are not regulated and can make any claims they want. Im sure aome of it work... But people often expect miracles.

I 100% agree with your post.

The NOX dialates your blood vessels to allow more blood flow. Yes if I ate more I wouldn't need protein shakes but, let's be real. How easy is it to eat a Boston Market half chicken meal while driving compared to drinking a protein shake? Absolutely people expect miracles. I on the other hand just want to get some people's actual claims since the tests are you said and I agree are not proven. It would be very difficult to standardize a test like that.

I have a desk job so I have to rely on protein shakes to supplement what I can't eat throughout the day. I had all sorts of evil eyes on me today trying to conceal Ghenghis Grill in my desk lol.

-Alex

Blackout
06-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I just started again after some injuries I had. OG_Fox will also now bre workinf out as well

PLASMAN
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Where's Mitch isnt he a body builder subject expert?

5PointSlow
06-21-2013, 09:04 PM
The hardest part for most people is the diet. You CANNOT out train a bad diet. Ive gained a few lbs of fat and bloating just from eating shitty and drinking the last couple days. not to mention i havent worked out since monday due to the new tat on my upper arm i got on tues lol

Grandpa
06-22-2013, 08:19 AM
99% of the suppliments sold are junk.

I agree. To add to that 95% of people's diet aren't clean enough to take advantage of them anyways. "Supplements" are just that, a supplement to proper training and clean diet. In cases of creatine, its a chemical your body makes naturally. If you take it for any sustained amount of time, it will throw off your systems balance, your body will quit making it then it throws everything off. Plus, the moment you stop taking it, you lose any sort of benefit from it and can have an adverse reaction.

Want to aid your training? Work hard and eat clean.

BLK2012GT
06-22-2013, 09:24 AM
I agree. To add to that 95% of people's diet aren't clean enough to take advantage of them anyways. "Supplements" are just that, a supplement to proper training and clean diet. In cases of creatine, its a chemical your body makes naturally. If you take it for any sustained amount of time, it will throw off your systems balance, your body will quit making it then it throws everything off. Plus, the moment you stop taking it, you lose any sort of benefit from it and can have an adverse reaction.

Want to aid your training? Work hard and eat clean.

Is that how you got the sexy body builder body you have?:rofl:

Grandpa
06-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Is that how you got the sexy body builder body you have?:rofl:

Yeah, you're a physical specimen yourself there aren't ya? Anytime you want to come to the gym and workout let me know. I bet you don't make it through the warm up without puking let alone rolling for two hours. This old fat guy would fuckin clown you on the mat. :signs8:

Blackout
06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
My diet has gone to shit...I can never stick to it bc of work I always eat out :/

Grandpa
06-22-2013, 10:48 AM
My diet has gone to shit...I can never stick to it bc of work I always eat out :/

Social eating is a huge diet killer for sure. Its hard to avoid. Im learning to make better choices rather than just saying fuck it and order whatever I want.

BLK2012GT
06-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah, you're a physical specimen yourself there aren't ya? Anytime you want to come to the gym and workout let me know. I bet you don't make it through the warm up without puking let alone rolling for two hours. This old fat guy would fuckin clown you on the mat. :signs8:

Hmmmmmm I sure hope you can take me on the mat since you've been doing that shit for how long. And I never said I was in shape. I'm far from it, but I don't preach on what to do either when I don't do it myself. And maybe we need to make a section for this instead of a sticky and get Greg (gray horse) on this site. Someone that knows about physical training and working out.

Grandpa
06-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Hmmmmmm I sure hope you can take me on the mat since you've been doing that shit for how long. And I never said I was in shape. I'm far from it, but I don't preach on what to do either when I don't do it myself. And maybe we need to make a section for this instead of a sticky and get Greg (gray horse) on this site. Someone that knows about physical training and working out.

Contrary to popular belief I haven't always been old and fat. lol.

I'm not preaching bro, just sharing my opinion. I'm back on my training/dieting program. My brother being sick with stage 4 cancer has had a really profound effect on my attitude towards my health and not taking it for granted any longer. Its now my priority over everything else now making some big changes in my life. I've attempted it many times and failed, it just sucks watching my brother wither away in health and spirit is what it took to make these changes happen. :(

5PointSlow
06-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Social eating is a huge diet killer for sure. Its hard to avoid. Im learning to make better choices rather than just saying fuck it and order whatever I want.

That's been my prob the last few days lol. Eating out is so bad for you especially I you make poor diet decisions.

Dominic Toretto
06-22-2013, 01:07 PM

I had this same issue for awhile. I started making my own lunches for the week. Saves gas on going out to eat during lunch, you know exactly what you're eating, saves money and is healthier. Try it bro :)

+1. A section for physical health would be great for everyone.

I've attempted it many times and failed, it just sucks watching my brother wither away in health and spirit is what it took to make these changes happen. :(

Can't imagine what you're going through man. Best wishes and prayers to your brother.

-Alex

Blackout
06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Haha waking up early to make my own food is hard....how's pbmj sandwhiches for a "diet"...I say its still better than fast fopd and peanut butter I high on protein or whatever...I've cut back on drinking also

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 12:11 PM

greg is a boss:) but im willing to bet i have moved more weight than just about anyone on this site...

BLK2012GT
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
greg is a boss:) but im willing to bet i have moved more weight than just about anyone on this site...

That's because you're Hercules.

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
That's because you're Hercules.

faaaaar from it.. im just a fat nerd who likes to move a little weight :)

Phuck Phace
06-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm hard as a rock, don't need to carry a Glock, I'm 30% muscle and 70% cock.

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm hard as a rock, don't need to carry a Glock, I'm 30% muscle and 70% cock.

LMAO!!

Btw, how is the quitting drinking thing going? You said you were gonna give it a try.

Phuck Phace
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
LMAO!!

Btw, how is the quitting drinking thing going? You said you were gonna give it a try.

I did cut back, completely quitting is boring as fuck. Been keeping myself occupied with work instead.

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 02:20 PM
I did cut back, completely quitting is boring as fuck. Been keeping myself occupied with work instead.

lifting heavy will help you quit.. go out drinking friday. and go bench heavy on saturday.. when the weight almost kills you and you stink like vodka... you give up drinking REAL Fast:)

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 02:51 PM
lifting heavy will help you quit.. go out drinking friday. and go bench heavy on saturday.. when the weight almost kills you and you stink like vodka... you give up drinking REAL Fast:)

Ugh..yuck. Hangovers suck as it is, but trying to workout with one? No thanks!

I'm doing chest and tri's tonight, tomorrow one hour cardio on the bike, Friday will be back and bi's.

Dominic Toretto
06-26-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm doing chest and tri's tonight, tomorrow one hour cardio on the bike, Friday will be back and bi's.

Try watching a drunken friend trying to max out on bench during a house party after drinking a few cups of trashcan punch. College was a lot of fun.

-Alex

03MachMe
06-26-2013, 02:57 PM
I think I would quit heavy lifting at that point lol

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 03:18 PM

im not a fan of doing chest/tris on the same day.. i prefer Shoulders/tris and Chest/bis

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 03:23 PM
im not a fan of doing chest/tris on the same day.. i prefer Shoulders/tris and Chest/bis

To me , that doesn't make any sense. Chest/tri's are pushing muscles, back and bi's are pulling muscles. Why would you not work them out in the same session?

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
To me , that doesn't make any sense. Chest/tri's are pushing muscles, back and bi's are pulling muscles. Why would you not work them out in the same session?

Shoulders are push muscles too..

but shoulders rely LESS on triceps than chest.

if you can go 100% on triceps after a chest work out.. your chest workout isnt worth a damn.

Shoulders dont tire out the triceps near as much as a solid chest work out.. so i can give 100% on shoulders and 100% on triceps.. where as on saturdays i kill Chest and then kill bis which were in no way impacted by the chest work out.

NORMALY people mix a push major and a pull minor together for a work out.

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Shoulders are push muscles too..

but shoulders rely LESS on triceps than chest.

if you can go 100% on triceps after a chest work out.. your chest workout isnt worth a damn.

Shoulders dont tire out the triceps near as much as a solid chest work out.. so i can give 100% on shoulders and 100% on triceps.. where as on saturdays i kill Chest and then kill bis which were in no way impacted by the chest work out.

NORMALY people mix a push major and a pull minor together for a work out.

That would explain why my chest doesn't get anywhere near as sore as my triceps do. I just figured it was me being weak as hell. lol

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
That would explain why my chest doesn't get anywhere near as sore as my triceps do. I just figured it was me being weak as hell. lol

were you doing chest or triceps first?

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
were you doing chest or triceps first?

I always do chest first because it seems to need so much more.

-flat x3
-incline x3
-flys x3

tris;

-cable pulldowns
-skullcrushers
-kickback extns

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 03:53 PM

-flat x3
-incline x3
-flys x3

tris;

-cable pulldowns
-skullcrushers
-kickback extns

IMO if you are training alone you arent doing enough volume..
i do 2 warm up sets on bench. and then 3-4 Work sets.
4 sets incline.. 4 sets peck deck.. and then once im done with the work out completely ill hop on the Decline machine and do sets of 10 till i fail completely.

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 04:04 PM
I prefer to lift alone. It's my time to get rid of stress. I don't want to chit chat, or wait on someone else etc. I also don't want to be in the gym for 3 hours. I want to get in, get my training done and get out. I usually have my four year old in the daycare at the gym and hour and half to two hours is about her limit in there before starts getting tired of it.

Ironically, I HATE dealing with training partners which is funny because my other obsession of BJJ relies on a training partner so much. I'm a technique perfectionist and can't stand dealing with people aren't taking it seriously. I don't expect everyone to be as detailed as I am, but when training I do expect partners to be trying to better themselves rather than joking around or slacking off. I'm there to work and get better. I treat lifting weights the same way.

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 04:11 PM
me and 2 training partners get a work out with Much greater volume than yours done in 1:30 to 2 hours depending on how crazy we get rep count wise.. to REALLY push yourself on chest you need some one to spot you to assist with forced reps and negatives. Sounds like you have trained with the wrong people.. when i lift i talk between sets... get a little rest and get back to it.

Junkie
06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
I work out and stuff

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I work out and stuff

No you don't. You binge and purge you skinny lil weenie.

Junkie
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
No you don't. You binge and purge you skinny lil weenie.

Lol that's how I went from 151-180. Not eating...LMFAO

blownaltered
06-26-2013, 06:51 PM
me and 2 training partners get a work out with Much greater volume than yours done in 1:30 to 2 hours depending on how crazy we get rep count wise.. to REALLY push yourself on chest you need some one to spot you to assist with forced reps and negatives. Sounds like you have trained with the wrong people.. when i lift i talk between sets... get a little rest and get back to it.

I have to agree. I always lifted harder and better with a partner. You have someone to push you and if your pushing to much they are there to save your ass. I miss having a lifting partner. Now I'm older, fatter and have trashed most my joints so I will never lift any type of heavy weight again but I do need to lose weight. Just got to get motivated.

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 07:16 PM
I have to agree. I always lifted harder and better with a partner. You have someone to push you and if your pushing to much they are there to save your ass. I miss having a lifting partner. Now I'm older, fatter and have trashed most my joints so I will never lift any type of heavy weight again but I do need to lose weight. Just got to get motivated.

I'm going to buy a bike soon. We could go riding if you want. :headbang:

Ralex5.0
06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I got this P90 workout which i bought through their company. i'm on week 3 and its been working out for me so far.

blownaltered
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm going to buy a bike soon. We could go riding if you want. :headbang:

Steve that does sound like fun as long as I don't have to wear the spandex. I can assure you nobody wants to see that.

I got this P90 workout which i bought through their company. i'm on week 3 and its been working out for me so far.

I got the p90x but I'm not digging it. My wife and her sister do it but I like lifting weights better. There are a lot of the exercises I can't do because of my hips and shoulders so I think I'm going to have to go back to the normal gym

Ralex5.0
06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Steve that does sound like fun as long as I don't have to wear the spandex. I can assure you nobody wants to see that.

I got the p90x but I'm not digging it. My wife and her sister do it but I like lifting weights better. There are a lot of the exercises I can't do because of my hips and shoulders so I think I'm going to have to go back to the normal gym
I feel you man. The section i suck the most is the yoga section. It kills me! man and seeing them bending and twisting on the video and i'm like NO WAY that is possible that got be graphic enhanced lol.

Blackout
06-26-2013, 08:50 PM

-flat x3
-incline x3
-flys x3

tris;

-cable pulldowns
-skullcrushers
-kickback extns

You need a decline bench! I've given up flst bench and do 4x of incline 4x decline and 3x flys on a 5 dag split

White_lightning
06-26-2013, 10:09 PM
You need a decline bench! I've given up flst bench and do 4x of incline 4x decline and 3x flys on a 5 dag split

I almost never decline.. it fucks up my rotator cuffs.. Flat bench is the defacto standard for Moving weight on your chest. the rest is just fluff IMO.

Grandpa
06-26-2013, 11:10 PM
I feel you man. The section i suck the most is the yoga section. It kills me! man and seeing them bending and twisting on the video and i'm like NO WAY that is possible that got be graphic enhanced lol.

I started doing Yoga with the wife the last month and I really like it. At first like most guys, you think it's some sort of foo foo girly stuff, but it's really hard!! I do one session in the morning to get the day started and one before bed. Not only is it a great workout, but really settles my mind and relaxes me. I'm really enjoying it. :)

Dominic Toretto
06-27-2013, 09:36 AM
I prefer to lift alone. It's my time to get rid of stress. I don't want to chit chat, or wait on someone else etc. I also don't want to be in the gym for 3 hours. I want to get in, get my training done and get out. I usually have my four year old in the daycare at the gym and hour and half to two hours is about her limit in there before starts getting tired of it.

I don't expect everyone to be as detailed as I am, but when training I do expect partners to be trying to better themselves rather than joking around or slacking off. I'm there to work and get better. I treat lifting weights the same way.

+1. definitely feel the same way. I do my arm workouts at home due to this. That and I try to have as little rest time between moving to the next workout and hate sloppy people that just sit on machines.

I'm older, fatter and have trashed most my joints so I will never lift any type of heavy weight again but I do need to lose weight. Just got to get motivated.

How much do you weigh?

-Alex

Grandpa
07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I almost never decline.. it fucks up my rotator cuffs.. Flat bench is the defacto standard for Moving weight on your chest. the rest is just fluff IMO.

As I understand it, declines are more a shaping anyways. I also feel them more in my shoulder cuffs than I do my chest.

Tonight I'm going to do back/bi's and might throw in more triceps if I have time.

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Just wanted to give a little update.

I have gained a solid 5lbs since the initial post. Only changes I have made have been to incorporate creatine and added more variety to my workout strategy. Progress is progress. Hope everyone else is doing well also.

-Alex

White_lightning
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Just wanted to give a little update.

I have gained a solid 5lbs since the initial post. Only changes I have made have been to incorporate creatine and added more variety to my workout strategy. Progress is progress. Hope everyone else is doing well also.

-Alex

Creatine makes you retain intermuscular water.. most people gain 5-10lbs of water weight when they start taking it.

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Creatine makes you retain intermuscular water.. most people gain 5-10lbs of water weight when they start taking it.

I have read that it is very important for training purposes to stay hydrated, so I am sure that is a basic benefit. I can say that I do feel stronger / able to move more weight with easier effort. More notably though is that I feel as though my stamina has definitely increased. Where as normally, my failure point is greatly exceeded.

BTW I don't take creatine daily. I take it immediately after a workout and the following morning.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
White_lightning found this article by a quick google search.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/creatine-side-effects-what-it-what-it-does

It also agrees that the first few lbs are water but states that because of the amount you can increasingly do, you should also increase muscle obviously. I'll keep at it to see how further I may get with this. Still don't plan on taking it daily. Just in moderation.

-Alex

blownaltered
07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm looking for advise on a 4 day split for lifting. I can't go heavy with my legs do to bad hips but still need to work out my lower body. Any advise is welcome, I need to lose some weight. If I need to build mass first I am willing to do that I just need help.

Thanks in advance

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm looking for advise on a 4 day split for lifting. I can't go heavy with my legs do to bad hips but still need to work out my lower body. Any advise is welcome, I need to lose some weight. If I need to build mass first I am willing to do that I just need help.

Thanks in advance

Building mass is moreso heavy lifting. So if you're wanting to lose weight you'll need to focus more on smaller weights with more reps. If you are mainly concerned with losing weight cardio would be the most effective way to go. Burning calories. If you are beginning working out, try with some running/jogging and incorporate some light lifting as well. Assess your tolerances and lift accordingly.

-Alex

Blackout
07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
In the month I've been back in the gym I've added 20lbs to my bench :p

No make that 1 in a half?? Oe when ever i 1st posted in this thread...nice steady progress..

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 03:01 PM
In the month I've been back in the gym I've added 20lbs to my bench :p

No make that 1 in a half?? Oe when ever i 1st posted in this thread...nice steady progress..

Building muscle is definitely a process. Good work :)

-Alex

blownaltered
07-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Building mass is moreso heavy lifting. So if you're wanting to lose weight you'll need to focus more on smaller weights with more reps. If you are mainly concerned with losing weight cardio would be the most effective way to go. Burning calories. If you are beginning working out, try with some running/jogging and incorporate some light lifting as well. Assess your tolerances and lift accordingly.

-Alex

I guess you missed the part about bad hips. I really can't do heavy cardio, my hip hurts just sitting so jogging is out. I can walk a good while but won't sleep because that hurts. I was in great shape in high school and I lost 30lbs years ago so I know how to do it but now my body doesn't like me anymore so I have to learn new ways. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
I guess you missed the part about bad hips. I really can't do heavy cardio, my hip hurts just sitting so jogging is out. I can walk a good while but won't sleep because that hurts. I was in great shape in high school and I lost 30lbs years ago so I know how to do it but now my body doesn't like me anymore so I have to learn new ways. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for.

No, didn't miss it just wasn't sure exactly what bad hips meant. Sorry hear that though, wasn't sure exactly how it effected you. Man not sure what to advise on that as you probably use hips for damn near everything.

-Alex

blownaltered
07-22-2013, 06:47 PM
No, didn't miss it just wasn't sure exactly what bad hips meant. Sorry hear that though, wasn't sure exactly how it effected you. Man not sure what to advise on that as you probably use hips for damn near everything.

-Alex

Yeah that's kind of my problem right now. One is feeling ok but the other is messed up again so I will probably need another hip surgery. Loosing weight would definitely help with how it feels but hard cardio is out so I was thinking if I pumped heavier weight with my upper body I could burn the calories that way. Hell I really don't know what do at this point but I need to do something. I'm damn near 240lbs so Ive got to start losing, I've gain 20 pounds since my hips started hurting last year.

Dominic Toretto
07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah that's kind of my problem right now. One is feeling ok but the other is messed up again so I will probably need another hip surgery. Loosing weight would definitely help with how it feels but hard cardio is out so I was thinking if I pumped heavier weight with my upper body I could burn the calories that way. Hell I really don't know what do at this point but I need to do something. I'm damn near 240lbs so Ive got to start losing, I've gain 20 pounds since my hips started hurting last year.

It's my believe that cardio is not limited strictly to things workouts that involve the legs. I would suggest maybe doing some very light lifting with arms for plenty of reps to build a good sweat. Maybe a dumb question but, has your doctor givin any advise?

-Alex

blownaltered
07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
It's my believe that cardio is not limited strictly to things workouts that involve the legs. I would suggest maybe doing some very light lifting with arms for plenty of reps to build a good sweat. Maybe a dumb question but, has your doctor givin any advise?

-Alex

No I'm your normal male, I don't like going to the doctor. I waited last time to were I was popping vicodine like candy before I went to the doctor. Not smart but it's what I do. So no for my current issue no but I did have this issue before and there is nothing that could fix it but surgery. I tore the labrum off the bone in my hips last year and I believe I did it again on the right side. Feels about the same, there is no therapy that will fix it just more pins in my hip.

But to answer the physical therapy for my rehab I was aloud to do all normal leg workouts just very low weight. Supposed to ride a bike or walk but that is hurting me so that's why I made the post.

JOHNGT
07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
In the last seven months I've lost 40 pounds. Just eat better and I work out 5-6 times a week. I was taking a preworkout and glutaplex afterwords. I take the man stack now. So far I like it.

Dominic Toretto
07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
No I'm your normal male, I don't like going to the doctor. I waited last time to were I was popping vicodine like candy before I went to the doctor. Not smart but it's what I do. So no for my current issue no but I did have this issue before and there is nothing that could fix it but surgery. I tore the labrum off the bone in my hips last year and I believe I did it again on the right side. Feels about the same, there is no therapy that will fix it just more pins in my hip.

But to answer the physical therapy for my rehab I was aloud to do all normal leg workouts just very low weight. Supposed to ride a bike or walk but that is hurting me so that's why I made the post.

Same here. I only go to the doctor if I feel like I am dying or something is broken. Hopefully someone will have some better advise than myself. Best wishes.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
07-29-2013, 12:10 PM
A co-worker handed me this print-out of a 30 day challenge he has for a few different bodyparts. I took the one for abs since I do not have the washboard. I don't plan on attempting this soon, maybe in the next few weeks. Anyways, here it is typed out.

Day - Situps - Crunches - Leg Raises - Planks
1 15 5 5 10
2 20 8 8 12
3 25 10 10 15
4 Rest
5 30 12 12 20
6 35 15 15 25
7 40 20 20 30
8 Rest
9 45 30 30 35
10 50 50 30 38
11 55 65 33 42
12 Rest
13 60 75 40 50
14 65 85 42 55
15 70 90 42 60
16 Rest
17 75 100 45 65
18 80 110 48 70
19 85 120 50 75
20 Rest
21 90 130 52 80
22 95 140 55 85
23 100 150 58 90
24 Rest
25 105 160 60 95
26 110 170 60 100
27 115 180 62 110
28 Rest
29 120 190 62 115
30 125 200 65 120

Dominic Toretto
08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
How often do you guys mix in forced negatives?

-Alex

Grandpa
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I always do controlled negatives, otherwise you're only getting half the benefit from the lifts. I'm getting stronger, I had to move up weight this last workout. :)

Dominic Toretto
08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I always do controlled negatives, otherwise you're only getting half the benefit from the lifts. I'm getting stronger, I had to move up weight this last workout. :)

Good to hear. I was only doing them every blue moon. I do like to do drop sets. I'll start today on the negatives.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
08-06-2013, 01:29 PM

How many seconds do you count while doing the negatives?

-Alex

Grandpa
08-06-2013, 01:34 PM
How many seconds do you count while doing the negatives?

-Alex

I don't count. I concentrate on my breathing and form.

Dominic Toretto
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Gotcha. I heard 4 seconds was the norm so was just seeing if you did that.

-Alex

TrueStreetTim
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM

This

The only time I count during negatives is legs, myself.

Dominic Toretto
08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Do you guys have to use less weight to get the same amount of reps? I remember when I tried them awhile back I had to go down in weight do get a good 8 reps. I remember this being significantly more difficult than regular exercises.

-Alex

my95z28
08-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Been working out quite a bit here as well, haven't done too much research in it but usually do cardio M,W,F and strength training everyday at the gym for lunch. Schedule looks like this

Mon-
Morning=Insanity(this shit is HARD)
Lunch= Chest/Tri with dumbells

Tue-
Back/Bi/Shoulders with dumbells

Wed-
Morning=1.5-2.5 Mile run
Lunch= Chest/Tri with barbell

Thurs-
Back/Bi/Shoulders with Barbell

Fri-
Morning- Group 3 mile run or Ultimate Football
Legs

Thinking about starting up crossfit in the afternoons, do you guys think this will be too much? Also, I've been consistently sore and dealing with low energy for the past 2 weeks since I changed my diet. Diet is
Morning- 2 scrambled eggs with ketchup
small serving of fruit
Lunch/ Dinner- 1 grilled chicken sandwich with single slice american cheese
small servings of fruit (usually grapes and pineapple)

I'm also taking a multivitamin and usually 2 servings protein per day. Anyone see any issues with my diet or training schedule? Really trying to tone up and lose fat, jumped in the bod pod that measured fat percentage a couple of weeks ago and somehow I'm almost 24% body fat :( Btw 6'1" 185lbs

Dominic Toretto
08-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Also, I've been consistently sore and dealing with low energy for the past 2 weeks since I changed my diet. Diet is
Morning- 2 scrambled eggs with ketchup
small serving of fruit
Lunch/ Dinner- 1 grilled chicken sandwich with single slice american cheese
small servings of fruit (usually grapes and pineapple)

I'm also taking a multivitamin and usually 2 servings protein per day. Anyone see any issues with my diet or training schedule? Btw 6'1" 185lbs

What was your diet previously?

-Alex

MidWest281
09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
No creatine here. Just get foods with a lot of protein in them. Instead of snacking on chips and cookies, snack on yogurt, cottage cheese and peanuts. Usually drink protein shakes after every workout. Snack on protein bars occasionally. Try to opt for cleaner food when I can, like getting subway or jimmy johns instead of mcdonalds or burger king. I never buy soda/pop at the grocery store, only stuff in my fridge is water and Gatorade.

I am always on the same rotation. I work one muscle group at a time. Always run at least a mile pre-workout to warm up. Each day i'll concentrate on just chest, just back, or just arms (including shoulders), and I usually do legs and core in the same day unless I know I have enough available days in the week to split it up. Always consistently at the gym for around an hour at a time. Its a lot of fun, good healthy hobby to have. Definitely a lifestyle choice though if you incorporate a healthy diet.

Dominic Toretto
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I started taking BCAAs during the workout and immediately afterwards. I was never informed of them but, all the "professionals" I have spoken with agree to take these especially during the workout.

-Alex

SMERF
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
I workout about 5 x a week. Love staying in shape, if anybody lives near the carrollton lewisville area I usually go to 24 hr by castle hills. To those trying to drink less, I've made my routine to where I workout Fri - Sun and Tuesday- Wed. Working out everyday of the weekend makes you less inclined to go out and saves some serious cash over time.

Dominic Toretto
11-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I workout about 5 x a week. Love staying in shape, if anybody lives near the carrollton lewisville area I usually go to 24 hr by castle hills. To those trying to drink less, I've made my routine to where I workout Fri - Sun and Tuesday- Wed. Working out everyday of the weekend makes you less inclined to go out and saves some serious cash over time.

That's good that you are young and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Keep at it. I noticed a huge savings in cash just by cooking instead of eating out as often as I was.

-Alex

SMERF
11-29-2013, 12:10 PM
That's good that you are young and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Keep at it. I noticed a huge savings in cash just by cooking instead of eating out as often as I was.

-Alex

Thanks man. Luckily for me, my parents raised me with a pretty active lifestyle and with a healthy diet. I take my lunch to work too except on Fridays lol. That's my cheat day

Dominic Toretto
11-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks man. Luckily for me, my parents raised me with a pretty active lifestyle and with a healthy diet. I take my lunch to work too except on Fridays lol. That's my cheat day

I'm on the same schedule as far as cheat days lol. But yeah pack my lunch, and try to stay active outside of working out of course. Do you have a specific goal that you are working towards?

-Alex

SMERF
11-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Im trying to gain weight right now. 5ft 7 160 pounds. Want to be at 175, been hitting more weight less rep and taking mass gainer and quite a bit more food intake. My metabolism is so high its hard to gain weight

Dominic Toretto
11-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Im trying to gain weight right now. 5ft 7 160 pounds. Want to be at 175, been hitting more weight less rep and taking mass gainer and quite a bit more food intake. My metabolism is so high its hard to gain weight

Same here. I am 6 even and 195 on a fat day. I took a Mass Gainer from GNC one time and I couldn't handle it. One serving was 4 scoops and like 2000 calories. It was ridiculous. There was no way I could consume that as one serving. That was a few years ago. From what I have seen all of the mass gainers just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. They'll have a good amount of protein but an obscene amount of calories. It made me slow, sluggish and tired. I swapped to a simpler whey protein isolate and made more attractive muscle gains that way. But not everyone is the same so if it works the way you like, keep at it.

-Alex

SMERF
11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Same here. I am 6 even and 195 on a fat day. I took a Mass Gainer from GNC one time and I couldn't handle it. One serving was 4 scoops and like 2000 calories. It was ridiculous. There was no way I could consume that as one serving. That was a few years ago. From what I have seen all of the mass gainers just focus on gaining weight, good or bad. They'll have a good amount of protein but an obscene amount of calories. It made me slow, sluggish and tired. I swapped to a simpler whey protein isolate and made more attractive muscle gains that way. But not everyone is the same so if it works the way you like, keep at it.

-Alex

No, you're right. The mass gainers are about 75% belly weight vs muscle. But at a minimum it gives me weight that I can convert to muscle you know. I take Dymatize isopure now and love it but it has little to no carbs. I'll probably just stick to that and alot of eggs and rice / pasta post workout. Dymatize also has great amino's, I saw you just recently started taking some . I'd check em out, best aminos I've personally ever had.

Dominic Toretto
11-29-2013, 05:12 PM
No, you're right. The mass gainers are about 75% belly weight vs muscle. But at a minimum it gives me weight that I can convert to muscle you know. I take Dymatize isopure now and love it but it has little to no carbs. I'll probably just stick to that and alot of eggs and rice / pasta post workout. Dymatize also has great amino's, I saw you just recently started taking some . I'd check em out, best aminos I've personally ever had.

Well fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells, there's no way to convert one to another. Complex carbs are good. I've minimized ccs in my diet for the time being since I am in a cutting phase and pairing that with more cardio. Trying to build muscle but, lose some of the fat I have gained. My lunches/dinners consist of mixed veggies and grilled chicken. The carbs I do get, I get from protein shakes but, that's it. Also I saw a nice tip from Lee Hayward showing to do some cardio in between sets of heavy lifting. Thanks for the tips on the BCAAs!

-Alex

SMERF
11-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Well fat cells are fat cells and muscle cells are muscle cells, there's no way to convert one to another. Complex carbs are good. I've minimized ccs in my diet for the time being since I am in a cutting phase and pairing that with more cardio. Trying to build muscle but, lose some of the fat I have gained. My lunches/dinners consist of mixed veggies and grilled chicken. The carbs I do get, I get from protein shakes but, that's it. Also I saw a nice tip from Lee Hayward showing to do some cardio in between sets of heavy lifting. Thanks for the tips on the BCAAs!

-Alex

All I know is last time I took mass gainer I got as big as I am now. Prior to I couldn't gain weight or muscle at all. The way I see it our body is like a statue. That excess weight gives me the ability to fuel my muscles and chisel down. Im eating pretty heavy just trying to gain, it's really hard for me lol. I've never seen anybody really cut up gain alot of muscle. Bodybuilders always get kinda chubby then chisel down

Dominic Toretto
11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
All I know is last time I took mass gainer I got as big as I am now. Prior to I couldn't gain weight or muscle at all. The way I see it our body is like a statue. That excess weight gives me the ability to fuel my muscles and chisel down. Im eating pretty heavy just trying to gain, it's really hard for me lol. I've never seen anybody really cut up gain alot of muscle. Bodybuilders always get kinda chubby then chisel down

Yeah, they go through a bulking and cutting phase. Very common.

-Alex

SMERF
11-29-2013, 11:35 PM
So you think adding the extra weight doesn't help with muscle growth? Not trying to have a back and forth just tryna figure out the best way to get relatively quick gains. Any tips you got would be cool

BV600
11-30-2013, 01:10 AM

Im in your boat but worse. 6'1 and 145lbs. I used to be 175lbs which took me a year to get there from 150lbs. I was eating so much I felt like I was going to puke all the time and was in the gym morning and night.

I ended up getting pretty sick (ms) and losing it all with all the initial bs that goes along with ms (long story)

Now I cant gain weight for anything, and im to lazy to get into the gym

Dominic Toretto
12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
So you think adding the extra weight doesn't help with muscle growth? Not trying to have a back and forth just tryna figure out the best way to get relatively quick gains. Any tips you got would be cool

Well there's weight that you want and weight that you may not want. You'd really need to assess it on an individual basis. If you are getting the results and looks that you want, then stick to it. That's the key I would advise anyone. No one's physiology is going to be identical to anyone else's. With that said, you can gain weight primarily as muscle or fat. You get stronger adding muscle, obviously, but gaining fat will not increase your strength. Me personally, I don't mind having a little bit of fat because I don't like the super-defined, "cut" look that many guys like to achieve. I do admire Bruce Lee but, would never like for myself to be so fat reduced that you can see each strand muscle fiber lol. I used to be 145lbs, so like you, I did the same thing and took a LOT of mass gainer. It did the job of getting me big, but when I got a size I wanted to I changed over to something with less calories so I could trim down a little fat and continue building muscle.

-Alex

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, couple days until I head to the doctor to check out my results. Should be interesting to see where I'm at now that I'm eating mainly a plant based diet now. For the first time over a Thanksgiving holiday I didn't gain any weight from eating too damn much!

I've been doing yoga for abit now which I'm really enjoying. I'm going to step up to 4 days a week at the gym to push some more weight around. Gotta get to that goal weight!

SMERF
12-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Well, couple days until I head to the doctor to check out my results. Should be interesting to see where I'm at now that I'm eating mainly a plant based diet now. For the first time over a Thanksgiving holiday I didn't gain any weight from eating too damn much!

I've been doing yoga for abit now which I'm really enjoying. I'm going to step up to 4 days a week at the gym to push some more weight around. Gotta get to that goal weight!

Get it bro. I've been trying to up my activity as well. Just started doing mountain bike trails on the weekend which has been a blast.

BERT
12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Last winter I got up to 210 and that was eating everything in site. Got down to 196 with just a better diet and no cardio. Already back up to 205 and haven't really been trying to add weight this time around but i'm not worried about it. Going to keep this going throughout the winter and if my damn shoulder will stop hurting maybe I can get 315 up on the bench. I'm so close lol

Maybe i'll start cutting sooner next year and actually do some cardio. Damn I hate cardio

Dominic Toretto
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Damn I hate cardio

Same. Takes too damn long.

-Alex

BERT
12-03-2013, 05:41 PM

-Alex

Well, I used to not mind it but as I got older my deviated septum got worse. It's at a damn 90* angle right now and I can't breath out of my left nostril. So I use that excuse a lot lol

blownaltered
12-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty
:893karatesmiley-thu

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Last winter I got up to 210 and that was eating everything in site. Got down to 196 with just a better diet and no cardio. Already back up to 205 and haven't really been trying to add weight this time around but i'm not worried about it. Going to keep this going throughout the winter and if my damn shoulder will stop hurting maybe I can get 315 up on the bench. I'm so close lol

Maybe i'll start cutting sooner next year and actually do some cardio. Damn I hate cardio

-Alex

I've found that doing an activity you enjoy for cardio makes it MUCH easier to get yourself do it and stick with it. It's one of the reasons I love my jiujitsu so much. Not only do you get an amazing cardio workout and fun ass hell, but it builds your core better than anything else I've ever done. Jogging/running is boring and also painful on my damn shins.

I also like riding bikes and swimming which is great on my old abused joints.

BERT
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty

lmao!!

Dominic Toretto
12-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I've found that doing an activity you enjoy for cardio makes it MUCH easier to get yourself do it and stick with it. It's one of the reasons I love my jiujitsu so much. Not only do you get an amazing cardio workout and fun ass hell, but it builds your core better than anything else I've ever done. Jogging/running is boring and also painful on my damn shins.

I've noticed that about the shins. Weird, I don't know how to explain that. Running should be painful. Maybe I am planting my feet wrong. I have had to switch to powerwalking. That or just cycle some unweighted lunges etc between my sets on my heavy lifting days.

-Alex

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Remind me not to watch that. You doing the "downward dog" can't be pretty

LOL!! :gayfight:

Funny though, I wouldn't have known what that was called before doing Yoga. Apparently you must have been jerking off to yoga videos in your youth to know that. lmao.

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
I've noticed that about the shins. Weird, I don't know how to explain that. Running should be painful. Maybe I am planting my feet wrong. I have had to switch to powerwalking. That or just cycle some unweighted lunges etc between my sets on my heavy lifting days.

-Alex

Well, I'm older than you not to mention much fatter at the moment. I still walk in the mornings after breakfast. Once I got a good pair of supportive shoes it helped quite abit. Running/walking on grass rather than concrete can help too. There is an indoor track at my gym that is a rubber on cold days.

When I lift, I don't train legs much. No need to really. My legs are already tree trunks from martial arts.

blownaltered
12-03-2013, 06:22 PM
LOL!! :gayfight:

Funny though, I wouldn't have known what that was called before doing Yoga. Apparently you must have been jerking off to yoga videos in your youth to know that. lmao.

I was actually doing yoga a few months ago to try and help my hips. I'm supposed to be lifting low weight with my legs multiple times a week. Ang has been up my ass for me to get my fat ass back in the gym so I can start walking without a limp. By the way who didn't jerk off to yoga videos when they were a kid. We didn't have the fast paced internet like these kids do now days, its all we had. That and the underwear adds that came in the mail.

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
I was actually doing yoga a few months ago to try and help my hips. I'm supposed to be lifting low weight with my legs multiple times a week. Ang has been up my ass for me to get my fat ass back in the gym so I can start walking without a limp. By the way who didn't jerk off to yoga videos when they were a kid. We didn't have the fast paced internet like these kids do now days, its all we had. That and the underwear adds that came in the mail.

:happy175::happy175::happy175:

SMERF
12-03-2013, 06:51 PM

What gym do you train at ? I used to train at star jiu jitsu and my stepdad goes to Octagon.

Grandpa
12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
What gym do you train at ? I used to train at star jiu jitsu and my stepdad goes to Octagon.

I train at a few places. Just depends on scheduling. My lineage is from Rorion/Rener/Ryron Gracie.

Dominic Toretto
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
http://sportsnutrition.thefatburninghormone.com/30-second-trick/?sid=TFB

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
01-29-2014, 07:26 PM
John Berardi, Ph.D..

Founder, Precision Nutrition, www.precisionnutrition.com

GET UPDATES FROM John Berardi, Ph.D.
Eggs: Healthy or Not?

Posted: 07/16/2013 11:23 am

Eggs: They're just one of those foods. Seems like every other week there's an egg controversy.

Are they good for you, bad for you, or somewhere in between?

As a Ph.D.-trained nutritional biochemist and a full-time nutrition coach, I've long been fascinated with this debate. In fact, I've often wondered...

How did eggs get so controversial in the first place?

I guess a lot of it has to do with cholesterol. A large egg contains about 185 mg of cholesterol. And since the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends a limit of 300 mg per day, eat two eggs and you've exceeded that limit.

(Cue up the post-breakfast guilt and shame.)

So, eggs are bad then?

Not so fast. There happens to be a problem with the AHA's recommendation. It assumes that when you eat more cholesterol (from eggs and other animal foods), your blood cholesterol increases.

Assume that and, of course, it makes sense to eat fewer eggs. Your blood cholesterol would be lower. Your heart and arteries would stay healthier for longer.

But here's the AHA's dirty little secret: Your body doesn't work that way.

Indeed, the research consistently and reliably shows that the cholesterol you eat has very little impact on how much cholesterol is in your blood.

If that sounds weird, maybe this will help...

You see, your body makes cholesterol. Lots of it, in fact. Every single day you produce between 1 and 2 grams of it on your own. (That's 5-10 times the cholesterol in a large egg.)

The interesting twist? When you eat more cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces less of it. And when you eat less cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces more.

That's because you have a cholesterol "set point." Think of it like a thermostat that's largely determined by your genetics, exercise habits, and stress. Funny enough, diet plays a surprisingly small role.

And here's another thing... cholesterol isn't so bad for you anyway.

In fact, cholesterol happens to be one of the most important nutrients in your body.

It's in every cell membrane (outer layer). It's a requirement for growth (in infants and adults). And it's required for the production of many hormones.

If all this is true, then why do so many people tell you to avoid eggs?

Simple: Egg paranoia has been based on the old assumption that eating the yolks will raise blood cholesterol (and increase your risk for artery and heart disease).

And even though the research has disproven the hypothesis -- for most of the population -- the medical community has been slow to reverse recommendations.

Of course, I get it. Most of us aren't in a rush to admit we're wrong. Especially when we've been wrong for years. And on the world's largest stage.

Regardless, researchers have looked at the diets of hundreds of thousands of people. And they've suggested that consuming eggs every day is not associated with cholesterol problems or heart disease.

(There's only one possible exception here: diabetics and the 0.2 percent of the population with familial hypercholesterolemia. More research has to be done to confirm this.)

Interestingly, in controlled trials -- the best kind of research -- where people were instructed to eat up to three eggs per day while on a weight loss diet, good things happened.

These folks lost weight, decreased inflammation and either maintained or improved their blood cholesterol levels.

(They were consuming 555 mg of cholesterol every day from eggs alone!)

Bottom line: Unless you have diabetes or a rare genetic disorder, eating a few eggs every day is not bad for you.

Interestingly, there's a more important question here that few people ever think to ask...

Could eating whole eggs every day (including the yolks) actually be good for you?

A lot of experts think so.

You see, egg yolks are one of the most nutrient-dense, antioxidant-rich and vitamin-laden foods on the planet! (Compared to the yolks, the whites are pretty much protein and water.)

Egg yolks contain 90 percent of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, pantothenic acid and B12 of the egg. In addition the yolk contains all of the fat-soluble components, such as vitamins A, D and E, not to mention the heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

Egg yolks are also a rich source of some other very interesting nutrients such as choline, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Choline is essential for cardiovascular and brain function. Eating more of it may mean mean less inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, and more.

Lutein and zeaxanthin are the major antioxidants in eggs. They protect the eyes by filtering harmful light wavelengths and lowering risk of macular degeneration.

Indeed, those people eating only egg whites -- or avoiding eggs entirely -- are missing out on many of these key nutrients.

But, is there ever a time to ditch the yolks?

There probably is. For some; but not most.

We already discussed diabetics and those with familial hypercholesterolemia. For those individuals, it's probably best not to eat three eggs every single day.

For athletes competing in weight-class sports, every calorie counts. When cutting weight, removing the yolks can help keep protein higher (which helps preserves muscle mass) while keeping calories lower.

(Each egg yolk contains 6 g of fat and 54 kcal. So even though they're full of nutrients, they still do contain calories.)

And one more consideration: people on high sugar and high carbohydrate diets.

Of course, diets high in sugar aren't ideal, whether you eat eggs or not. But, eat a lot of carbohydrates, sugar, and fat (from eggs or any other high fat / high cholesterol food) and many disease risks go up.

In the end -- for most people -- eggs won't increase blood cholesterol or the risk of heart or artery disease.

In fact, assuming the diet's not high in sugar or carbs, eggs are probably even an awesome addition to the diet.

However, there's no reason to get crazy -- as some have done -- and try to convince everyone to eat whole eggs every single day. I, for one, don't even do that myself.

That's not because I'm afraid of eggs, mind you. I actually like them and think they're great for me. Rather, it's because I vary my diet, rarely eating the same foods every single day.

And that's really my hope for everyone interested in better health:
•Avoid sensationalistic food fads (like banning eggs)
•Eat a varied diet of nutrient-rich whole foods (including eggs)
•Seek out the help of a coach when more fine-tuning is required

John Berardi, Ph.D., is a founder of Precision Nutrition, the world's largest online nutrition coaching company. In the last 5 years, Dr. Berardi and his team have personally helped over 20,000 people lose over 300,000 pounds of body fat through their renowned coaching program, Lean Eating.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

-Alex

BERT
01-29-2014, 07:29 PM
So eggs are bad for you again? I'm not reading all of that

I had three egg whites this morning, not gonna worry about it lol

Grandpa
01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the subject of nutrition. There is so much information out there its really overwhelming. It seems that there is a study on everything regarding it all. For every study there is a direct counter study by a different doctor saying the exact opposite. Just like this subject on eggs. Its exhausting trying to keep up with it all. I find myself constantly questioning if i can trust any of it all.

A lot of times you find out these studies are funded by the people who benefit from it one way or another being the farmers or the drug companies. You cant trust ANY labels on any foods because they are always misleading or just outright false.

At this point i dont feel i can trust anything that isnt a plant based whole fresh food.

Dominic Toretto
01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
So eggs are bad for you again? I'm not reading all of that

I had three egg whites this morning, not gonna worry about it lol

LOL, this study above shows that eggs are good for you. Read it in your off time.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
http://onedayfatloss.com/?sid=bt0201

-Alex

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 12:07 PM
http://onedayfatloss.com/?sid=bt0201

-Alex

I just watched that whole thing. What complete nonsense. lol.

Dominic Toretto
02-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I just watched that whole thing. What complete nonsense. lol.

I'm not a dietician by any means. What part was nonsense?

-Alex

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm not a dietician by any means. What part was nonsense?

-Alex

It's an infomericial with an ulterior motive to sell something. Always a bad place to get advice from.

There is no secrets to weight loss, getting healthy, getting lean or whatever else. The answer is SO simple that people look past the most obvious answer but don't want to do it because they either want some magic pill, powder or supplements without having to do what they are suppose to do -

eating clean whole foods and burning more calories that you take in. Avoiding refined sugars/grains and processed foods and flooding your system with water to be hydrated are the keys to reaching the proper PH balance your body needs to operate efficiently.

Way too many people get caught up in all this marketing gimmick stuff taking in supplements and following these bodybuilding type diets when they aren't even eating clean making it near impossible to obtain your goals. You can't supplement a diet that is based on crap food.

Dominic Toretto
02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I agree. I do receive the emails from this company so I expected the sell attempt at the end. I did find it interesting about the idea of skipping breakfast though. That was the only thing I was concerned with.

Since I have been on a mission to gain weight(muscle), it's difficult to do that without gaining some fat as well. However, I did change my diet starting this week to stir fry and no carbs to see how that may incluence my weight. I'm going to try this no breakfast routine and just drink water and a creatine drink in the mornings. Won't eat anything until first break at work and nothing "big" until lunch. I've prepared chicken stir fry with lots of veggies for lunch and I'll have one protein shake and eat my chili for dinner.

I've just always heard that when you wake up, your body looks for energy through catabolyzing your muscles instead of fat(which is dumb). So this is the only way I can think of to lose some weight without it being lost as muscle.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Try it out and report back what happens. I'm curious to see how it works for you. I'm very interested in learning as much as I can. I think it's really interesting how things seem to work differently for different people.

hatchttu
02-03-2014, 05:21 PM
here are some links to intermittent fasting:

"intermittent fasting"
https://www.google.com/#q=intermittent+fasting

"research on intermittent fasting"
https://www.google.com/#q=research+on+intermittent+fasting

and a pdf of that video, word for word

http://bio-dl.s3.amazonaws.com/files/1DD-CheatSheets-r3p1231.pdf

blownaltered
02-03-2014, 05:26 PM

"intermittent fasting"

"research on intermittent fasting"
https://www.google.com/#q=research+on+intermittent+fasting

screw fasting, I like food to damn much. I guess that's why I need to lose 45lbs, but screw it I'm not starving myself

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 05:27 PM

To me, skipping breakfast doesn't make any sense. When you wake up, you've already been fasting eight hours. So to add another 6-7 hours of fast to that skipping breakfast and not eating until lunch just seems to be asking for trouble with blood sugar levels therefor effecting energy and fat loss.

Can't make a fire without a spark.

blownaltered
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
I started going back to the gym last week and I feel better. Well besides the sore muscles but I definitely feel better. I feel like a lost puppy walking around not knowing what to do anymore. I used to work out a lot when I was younger but now I don't know where to start. I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer to start me on the right path. Trainers will also give you a meal plan to point you in the right direction to lien up and tone up. Just got to get my lazy ass to do it now.

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 05:39 PM
I started going back to the gym last week and I feel better. Well besides the sore muscles but I definitely feel better. I feel like a lost puppy walking around not knowing what to do anymore. I used to work out a lot when I was younger but now I don't know where to start. I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer to start me on the right path. Trainers will also give you a meal plan to point you in the right direction to lien up and tone up. Just got to get my lazy ass to do it now.

Better get your ass moving. In a week or so you're going to weigh more than me! :D

hatchttu
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I am not too sure, I just googled some stuff that the video was talking about. I want to do the paleo diet basically. I just don't like veggies so I have to figure that part out. I guess basically only eat stuff that naturally comes out of the ground and doesn't have to be refined to make.

but like you said, it really very simple, burn more calories than you eat. Too bad that desn't translate well for so many people.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

blownaltered
02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Better get your ass moving. In a week or so you're going to weigh more than me! :D

I'll let you pass me for a day or two since I've been lighter than your for the last decade we've been friends :nutkick:

blownaltered
02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
All joking aside I have to praise my friend Steve and say how proud of him I am. For the last 10 years I've heard him say how he wants to lose weight and he has tried many time before with no success but when I went to the meet Friday night I was shocked. He has lost at least 40lbs and is looking great. I am very proud of you my friend and I am very happy for you and your success this time around.

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I am not too sure, I just googled some stuff that the video was talking about. I want to do the paleo diet basically. I just don't like veggies so I have to figure that part out. I guess basically only eat stuff that naturally comes out of the ground and doesn't have to be refined to make.

but like you said, it really very simple, burn more calories than you eat. Too bad that desn't translate well for so many people.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

The easiest way to follow the Paleo diet is think of it this way - if it grows from the ground or walked around at some point you can eat it. It works for some people, so give it a try if you think it might work for you. Personally, I'm don't think it's a great diet but you gotta find what works for YOU.

Grandpa
02-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I'll let you pass me for a day or two since I've been lighter than your for the last decade we've been friends :nutkick:

Haha. Well I'm going to make you work to keep it that way. By June I will be 200lbs even. No more Heavyweight division for me! yay!

All joking aside I have to praise my friend Steve and say how proud of him I am. For the last 10 years I've heard him say how he wants to lose weight and he has tried many time before with no success but when I went to the meet Friday night I was shocked. He has lost at least 40lbs and is looking great. I am very proud of you my friend and I am very happy for you and your success this time around.

Thanks bro! As of this morning my total weight loss is 49lbs so far. I'm half way to my goal already! It finally sank in for me that I had to make a change. I don't view it as I'm "dieting" but rather I have changed my lifestyle. I started after Thanksgiving tackling one thing at a time and the first thing for me was quitting those evil sodas. Here I am now, a vegetarian. No sugar, no caffeine, no meat, no dairy, very little bread and I feel MUCH MUCH better.

I think the biggest change though was my mindset about it all and started (and still reading) a LOT about nutrition. I'm not perfect, on occasion I eat something I shouldn't, but now I don't use it as an exuse to blow the rest of the day off and say "I'll start again tomorrow". I was SO bad about that.

I'm also much more active now not living such a sedentary lifestyle. MUCH less TV/internet time and doing more gym and activity time. Yoga every day, hitting the gym, riding my bike. On Friday when it was nice out I went out for a 90 minute fast walk. I can't wait for the nice weather to come so I can do that every day!

For the first time in many, many years I have every confidence I will hit my goal. :)

Dominic Toretto
02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Carnivore fo lyfe! On another note, I am not nearly as starving as I figured I would be. I've eating half of the normal amount I normally do by this time. Drink a lot more water to try to keep my stomach full. I was going to have a Little Debbie snack but those SOBs have 270 calories in one serving!

A quick look over of one of my daily protein shakes 500 calories. Damn.

-Alex

mavfan37
02-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Just got some new pre-workout today. Axiom - it was beast.

my95z28
02-11-2014, 04:41 AM
Carnivore fo lyfe! On another note, I am not nearly as starving as I figured I would be. I've eating half of the normal amount I normally do by this time. Drink a lot more water to try to keep my stomach full. I was going to have a Little Debbie snack but those SOBs have 270 calories in one serving!

A quick look over of one of my daily protein shakes 500 calories. Damn.

-Alex

Yea thats a lot of calories for a protein shake. For a low cal high protein shake I really like Muscle Tech Nitro Tech. 30g of protein and only 140 cals! Milk Chocolate tastes pretty decent as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/muscletech/nitro-tech.html

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Just got some new pre-workout today. Axiom - it was beast.

I tried a pre-workout mix before and I took the recommended serving size, it had my skin tingling. I don't remember what brand it was though. How long did the energy last for you?

Yea thats a lot of calories for a protein shake. For a low cal high protein shake I really like Muscle Tech Nitro Tech. 30g of protein and only 140 cals! Milk Chocolate tastes pretty decent as well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/muscletech/nitro-tech.html

I make mine with two scoops and two glasses of 2% milk, so yeah they get pretty up there in calories.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I tried a pre-workout mix before and I took the recommended serving size, it had my skin tingling. I don't remember what brand it was though. How long did the energy last for you?

I make mine with two scoops and two glasses of 2% milk, so yeah they get pretty up there in calories.

-Alex

Stop drinking pasturized store bought milk. Its horrible for you. Switch to almond milk. Its much better for you and less calories.

zsommer79
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Stop drinking pasturized store bought milk. Its horrible for you. Switch to almond milk. Its much better for you and less calories.

Just curious, why is it bad?

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Just curious, why is it bad?

The cows are kept pregnant as much as possible so they will produce milk. They stay in one place in a stall being milked for weeks at a time. They are pumped full of antibiotics to fight off the infections they get and full of extra hormones to produce more milk. The milk is partially infected and PUSS, yes PUSS can be found in ALL store bought milk along with the antibiotics/hormones the cows were given and now being passed to you.

I used to be a big milk drinker. Loved the stuff. It's one of the unfortunate casualties I've discovered in my quest for nutrition knowledge.

Milk it one of the most disgusting things you can buy and put into your body.

zsommer79
02-11-2014, 01:51 PM
So it's not that milk is bad for you it's that corporate america's milk is bad for you. I know the dairy industry has been pushing to put sweeteners into milk and not have to include them in the ingredients.

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 02:43 PM
So it's not that milk is bad for you it's that corporate america's milk is bad for you. I know the dairy industry has been pushing to put sweeteners into milk and not have to include them in the ingredients.

Correct. There are farms you can still find unpasteurized raw milk that hasn't been treated with hormones/antibiotics. Most people won't do that though because it's not as convenient as running to the grocery store.

That's part of the problem with our society now. We don't work for our food anymore, it's all at our finger tips with convenience eating on nearly every corner. I, like most people, didn't have a CLUE what is in that stuff. Once industry took over our food sources we were doomed to become a fat and sick society.

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
As far as these ideas that "red meat are bad for you" and the like... they are simply inconclusive. I know a fair amount of gym rats that get their blood tested to compete and their blood comes back in good condition, they are perfectly healthy and they have their regular physicals. People are blowing crap WAY out of purportion.

People were fat long before processed foods were invented. It's not like people were healthier, hell people live longer lives now.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 03:35 PM
LOL..ok.

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 03:49 PM
My friend, who competes in physique competitions indulges in a burger here and there and his physicals and blood tests always comes back spotless. He says the same about his friends that also compete. So clearly the people that built their careers on healthcare know less than people that watch a few youtube videos and think the sky is falling.

I have a DVD at home that I got as a promo item from GNC a while back with a lot of the widely recognized body builders interviewing. When asked "what types of foods should you eat" all of them agree that meat, even red meat are good for nutrition. But again, what can they know, it's their profession to be healthy. The Internet is smarter lol.

-Alex

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 04:11 PM

I didn't know peta joined the fucking boards. Stop it veggie boy

BERT
02-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Don't argue with Steve!! He's a vegetarian, they're all smarter than us lowly meat eaters

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
My friend, who competes in physique competitions indulges in a burger here and there and his physicals and blood tests always comes back spotless. He says the same about his friends that also compete. So clearly the people that built their careers on healthcare know less than people that watch a few youtube videos and think the sky is falling.

I have a DVD at home that I got as a promo item from GNC a while back with a lot of the widely recognized body builders interviewing. When asked "what types of foods should you eat" all of them agree that meat, even red meat are good for nutrition. But again, what can they know, it's their profession to be healthy. The Internet is smarter lol.

-Alex

You're comparing a bodybuilder who highly more active than most people spending hours in a gym every week who by your own admission indulges on occasion to the general mass public. It's ridiculous. A bodybuilders diet is for people who body build tearing down a mass amount of muscle requiring more protein to rebuild the muscles. That type of diet does not apply to general public. If normal people ate the amount of heavy acidic protein that bodybuilders do they would be very sick and lethargic much like how the general masses are generally overweight from poor eating habits in excess and low levels of activity.

People who regularly consume meat, especially red meats have considerable more amount of acid in their systems in order to break that meat down in their systems. Now does that mean you can't eat meat at all? Of course not, it's just a personal choice of mine. You can eat almost anything within moderation but that doesn't mean it's good for you. I like eating meat just as you do, but the proof is in my results with great weight reduction, lowering blood pressure and chloresterol levels.

Being that highly acid greatly from eating large amounts of meat throws off PH balance in the body because it's very taxing on the digestive system. My information comes straight from a nutritionist, my doctor, reading books and my own blood test results.

As I said in reference to GTOPhil in another thread, you have to take what information you get online with a grain of salt and do your own due diligence with research. After than all you can do is put it to work to achieve your own results to see what works for you.

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 04:21 PM

LOL, that has nothing to do with being a vegetarian. That is simply just being healthy. Trust me, ignorance IS bliss in some subjects. I was very happy before drinking my milk all the time not knowing what was in that stuff. But I opened Pandora's Box and found out some nasty surprises. YUCK!!

Don't argue with Steve!! He's a vegetarian, they're all smarter than us lowly meat eaters

Shut.....the....fuck....up.....lowly ginger and read above. lol

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 04:24 PM

By the way, PETA would be a Vegan. I'm not a vegan. I like eating meat like everyone else. I'd just like not to have a heart attack or a stroke due to the high amounts of cholesterol and high acid levels so I choose not to eat it if it can be avoided. Diet is about making the right choices. :nutkick:

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
I agree with a lot of what Steve says actually. I just think it's ridiculous to attribute health problems on ONE aspect of someone's diet. Of course if you test some obese behemoths whose only physical activity is pressing the buttons on a remote is stuffed full of red meat and they develope problems then they blame red meat. They don't say, well the person was already in poor physical condition or the person never worked out, etc etc.

A friend of mine in college said "creatine doesn't work" when he only worked out twice a month and played Halo all day.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I agree with a lot of what Steve says actually. I just think it's ridiculous to attribute health problems on ONE aspect of someone's diet. Of course if you test some obese behemoths whose only physical activity is pressing the buttons on a remote is stuffed full of red meat and they develope problems then they blame red meat. They don't say, well the person was already in poor physical condition or the person never worked out, etc etc.

A friend of mine in college said "creatine doesn't work" when he only worked out twice a month and played Halo all day.

-Alex

"Nothing works unless YOU do."

We're trying to get to the same place, just taking different paths to get there is all.

That is one thing that drives me crazy about some people. When it comes to the subject of supplements. Some people spend a LOT of money taking this or that, tons of whey proteins, fat burners, pre-workouts, post workouts etc, but yet their diet isn't on point. You can't supplement a crap diet!! All of that stuff is just a complete waste unless you eat completely clean and put your body in a heavily overworked state. Even then a lot of the stuff on the market is questionable. But that is another subject.

Personally, I don't think anyone should take anything that your body makes naturally like creatine unless your body is constantly being overloaded with heavy work loads. Even then, something like creatine supplements should be cycled in and out of your system regularly. The body is a very adaptive machine. When you take in something naturally made like creatine, your body will adjust for it because the additional creatine being taken in and will stop making it. When you come off of it will throw things completely out of whack.

BERT
02-11-2014, 06:26 PM

We're trying to get to the same place, just taking different paths to get there is all.

That is one thing that drives me crazy about some people. When it comes to the subject of supplements. Some people spend a LOT of money taking this or that, tons of whey proteins, fat burners, pre-workouts, post workouts etc, but yet their diet isn't on point. You can't supplement a crap diet!! All of that stuff is just a complete waste unless you eat completely clean and put your body in a heavily overworked state. Even then a lot of the stuff on the market is questionable. But that is another subject.

Personally, I don't think anyone should take anything that your body makes naturally like creatine unless your body is constantly being overloaded with heavy work loads. Even then, something like creatine supplements should be cycled in and out of your system regularly. The body is a very adaptive machine. When you take in something naturally made like creatine, your body will adjust for it because the additional creatine being taken in and will stop making it. When you come off of it will throw things completely out of whack.

You're a regular 'ol Richard Simmons

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
You're a regular 'ol Richard Simmons

LOL, yeah. Life has thrown me some curveballs the last year for sure and I've changed a lot. It's been long overdue for quite some time.

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
LOL, that has nothing to do with being a vegetarian. That is simply just being healthy. Trust me, ignorance IS bliss in some subjects. I was very happy before drinking my milk all the time not knowing what was in that stuff. But I opened Pandora's Box and found out some nasty surprises. YUCK!!

Shut.....the....fuck....up.....lowly ginger and read above. lol

I don't drink milk. I really don't care for it that much so I don't have to worry about it. I've been eating more lean meats and a lot of chicken (hopefully pumped full of growth hormones). I like to lift weights and bulk up so I have to eat at least 150 mg of protein a day. That's hard to do at first, I should really have 200 but I haven't made it that far yet. Even to lose weight I eat that much protein to not lose muscle while cutting weight. Oh and I'm down 4 pounds, 2 pounds a week will work for me

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't do pre-workout stuff or creatine. Most pre-workout supplements have a lot of caffeine in them and my body does not like it. Almost passed out at the gym on no exploded.

As for protein shakes I drink those but not to try and clean up my diet but more for a meal replacement since I am constantly on the road. It's just a simple efficient way to get some protein without being a pain in the ass. ( maybe around 3 or so, kind of my between lunch and dinner snack ) Also I do, do a post workout protein which is good for muscle recovery.

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't do pre-workout stuff or creatine. Most pre-workout supplements have a lot of caffeine in them and my body does not like it. Almost passed out at the gym on no exploded.

As for protein shakes I drink those but not to try and clean up my diet but more for a meal replacement since I am constantly on the road. It's just a simple efficient way to get some protein without being a pain in the ass. ( maybe around 3 or so, kind of my between lunch and dinner snack ) Also I do, do a post workout protein which is good for muscle recovery.

In my opinion you don't need to do that yet. Your body has plenty of reserves right now to repair itself. You just need to make sure you are thouroughly hydrated so what you eat can move through your system. That train of thought of taking in protein after a workout is a bodybuilding mentality for people who are already lean.

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
I've been eating more lean meats and a lot of chicken (hopefully pumped full of growth hormones). I like to lift weights and bulk up so I have to eat at least 150 mg of protein a day. That's hard to do at first, I should really have 200 but I haven't made it that far yet. Even to lose weight I eat that much protein to not lose muscle while cutting weight. Oh and I'm down 4 pounds, 2 pounds a week will work for me

ROFL @ "(hopefully pumped full of growth hormones)."

And you mean 150 grams not milligrams lol but, yeah it is difficult to get that amount of protein from food in my line of work since I do the office thing. You can drink a protein shake while driving, you can't exactly do that with Boston Market half chicken, sweet potatoes and mixed veggies.

My scale claims that I lost two pounds since I started this new take on my diet. It's really difficult to tell it in the waist line though. My waist looks slightly smaller but, I can't tell if that is because I lost weight or because I am just not full like I normally am lol. I can still lift at the same consistency so I will keep this up for a few more weeks to see how it progresses.

-Alex

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
In my opinion you don't need to do that yet. Your body has plenty of reserves right now to repair itself. You just need to make sure you are thouroughly hydrated so what you eat can move through your system. That train of thought of taking in protein after a workout is a bodybuilding mentality for people who are already lean.

Not true man. I've sat down with dietitians before and they told me to take in protein to repair my muscles even while losing weight. Yes I have fat but that's not muscle building protein, your looking at protein the wrong way.

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
That train of thought of taking in protein after a workout is a bodybuilding mentality for people who are already lean.

I'm confused. Are you advocating to not intake protein after working out?

-Alex

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
You have to take in protein after a work out to start helping with the rebuilding of your muscles. Steve's never really lifted a lot of weights, he has always trained martial arts so he's never really done this. As for him losing weight he has taken that path but I want to retain the muscle I have and try to replace the fat I have with muscle so I take in more protein. It's just different ways of doing it. Steve will lose weight faster his way but will lose muscle mass in the process without feeding them properly.

Dominic Toretto
02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Not true man. I've sat down with dietitians before and they told me to take in protein to repair my muscles even while losing weight. Yes I have fat but that's not muscle building protein, your looking at protein the wrong way.

+1.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 09:25 PM
You have to take in protein after a work out to start helping with the rebuilding of your muscles. Steve's never really lifted a lot of weights, he has always trained martial arts so he's never really done this. As for him losing weight he has taken that path but I want to retain the muscle I have and try to replace the fat I have with muscle so I take in more protein. It's just different ways of doing it. Steve will lose weight faster his way but will lose muscle mass in the process without feeding them properly.

Yes, by all means take in protein. But you dont need extra protein at this stage. Just eat clean and hit your macros. Extra protein will be taxing to your system and your body will tackle that before attacking your fat storage. You have plenty of extra fat to burn from at this point. Get down to the mid teens bodyfat percentage wise then you can start training like a bodybuilder eating all the bro foods. Lol

With the way you are tackling it you will just end up heavier than where you started in the first place. As i said, it should be interesting to see the results from the two different approaches.

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm confused. Are you advocating to not intake protein after working out?

-Alex
Required protein for activity level and his current health status. He doesnt need EXTRA protein when he is already very overweight and has extra fat storage to burn off. Just meeting his macros for eating at a calorie deficet.

blownaltered
02-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Required protein for activity level and his current health status. He doesnt need EXTRA protein when he is already very overweight and has extra fat storage to burn off. Just meeting his macros for eating at a calorie deficet.

That hurts, I'm just fluffy.

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
That hurts, I'm just fluffy.

Its really going to be a mind blower for you when you are the heavier one of the two of us!! Muhahaha. Gauntlet has been thrown down my brotha! Lol

JDMLOL
02-11-2014, 10:12 PM
The milk is partially infected and PUSS, yes PUSS can be found in ALL store bought milk along with the antibiotics/hormones the cows were given and now being passed to you.

Thanks a lot, man. Now what do I have with my shredded wheat tomorrow morning?

Grandpa
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks a lot, man. Now what do I have with my shredded wheat tomorrow morning?

Almond milk. Hormone and puss free!

JDMLOL
02-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Almond milk. Hormone and puss free!

I will be picking some up tonight. A quick google search revealed all kinds of nasty shit in milk, including fecal matter. Ew.

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 12:11 AM
A fitness section to discuss weight loss, running, bikeing, weight lifting etc etc is a great idea!

I'm 6'7" and normally floated around 280-300lbs and was ok with being a big boy.But the first week of Nov 2013 was a wake up call hitting the scale at 356.4 lbs.I instantly cut out soda, breads and milk.
Stuffed my diet with nothing but lean meats, seafood, veggies and fruits and I drink a ton of water.No working out, just dramatically changed my eating habbits and went from eating 4000-6000 calories a day, now I eat a max of 1800 calories per day with 1 cheat day to eat shitty foods but still stay below 2500 calories for that day.
As of last Thursday I'm 327.2

My goals 260lbs.

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Also I use an app called My Fitness Pal.Lets you keep track of meals, you can enter work out and weight Info to track your progress.Takes some time to figure out the entire app but after a couple weeks its cake to use.And really helpful to watch what's going in your body.

JDMLOL
02-12-2014, 12:25 AM
A fitness section to discuss weight loss, running, bikeing, weight lifting etc etc is a great idea!

I'm 6'7" and normally floated around 280-300lbs and was ok with being a big boy.But the first week of Nov 2013 was a wake up call hitting the scale at 356.4 lbs.I instantly cut out soda, breads and milk.
Stuffed my diet with nothing but lean meats, seafood, veggies and fruits and I drink a ton of water.No working out, just dramatically changed my eating habbits and went from eating 4000-6000 calories a day, now I eat a max of 1800 calories per day with 1 cheat day to eat shitty foods but still stay below 2500 calories for that day.
As of last Thursday I'm 327.2

My goals 260lbs.

Replacing sodas with water just by itself does quite a bit. It wasn't anything for me to drink 4+ cokes before a burger at Chilis in high school. I weighed 220 then and was 5 foot 8ish. I now run, replaced the sodas with water, and the burgers with chicken sandwiches or salads and now weight 175 at 6'2"

mavfan37
02-12-2014, 12:36 AM
I have taken pre-workout for the last few years to get me energized to get myself to the gym.

I have taken quite a few different brands through the years. Axiom (my new stuff) it was an intense workout, and I sustained my energy throughout the workout.

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 12:38 AM
That's a big change! Soda is garbage I was drinking 4-6 coke zeros a day.Eating entire bags of chips, eating out for breakfeast lunch and dinner.

I'm starting to realize even if you eat healthier while eating out the foods still have a ton of calories.But I basically did the same thing you did.

Never thought I would see the day I eat turkey burgers on wheat buns to get my burger fix lol.

JDMLOL
02-12-2014, 12:49 AM
That's a big change! Soda is garbage I was drinking 4-6 coke zeros a day.Eating entire bags of chips, eating out for breakfeast lunch and dinner.

Yep. Even diet drinks aren't good. I only drink them if I'm drinking them with alcohol mixed in, maybe once a week. People who drink water regularly have lower body weight than those who drink diet drinks.

I'm starting to realize even if you eat healthier while eating out the foods still have a ton of calories.But I basically did the same thing you did.

Yep. Grilled chicken sandwiches aren't much better than burgers once cheese and mayo are on them. I typically don't eat them with all that on there. Same with salads, once bacon bits, croutons and some oily dressings are thrown on them you're looking at as many calories as a burger as well. I typically cut anything that has extra oil or fat in my salad as well. I will usually only leave a sprinkle of cheese.

Never thought I would see the day I eat turkey burgers on wheat buns to get my burger fix lol.

Salad wasn't in my vocabulary until about a year ago, lol.

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 01:05 AM

Yep. Even diet drinks aren't good. I only drink them if I'm drinking them with alcohol mixed in, maybe once a week. People who drink water regularly have lower body weight than those who drink diet drinks.

Yep. Grilled chicken sandwiches aren't much better than burgers once cheese and mayo are on them. I typically don't eat them with all that on there. Same with salads, once bacon bits, croutons and some oily dressings are thrown on them you're looking at as many calories as a burger as well. I typically cut anything that has extra oil or fat in my salad as well. I will usually only leave a sprinkle of cheese.

Salad wasn't in my vocabulary until about a year ago, lol.

Diet drinks are actually worse for you than regular sugary drinks due to the aspartame and sucralose in addition the fructose corn syrup. The stuff is poison in your body!

As for the salads and eating out, you couldn't be more right. Some places the calorie count and fat content in some of their salads are WAY worse than eating some of their burgers.

Example: Chili's Buffalo Chicken Salad

Calories (%DV based on daily intake of 2,000 kcal) 870 kcal 43.5%
Calories from Fat 495 kcal

870 calories from a salad and over 50% of that is saturated fat calories and that doesn't include the shitload of Ranch dressing that most people just pour over it. So easily figure 1000 calories or more or saturated fat and sugar. Add sweet tea or a soda to that and holy crap.

So many people think because they are eating a salad it's healthy and couldn't be more untrue!

Also, most places use cheap unhealthy oils and butter to cook with which really makes the calories go up when you eat out.

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 01:31 AM
What's crazy to me us if I eat crap foods or try to sneak in a soda my stomach gets upset now lol. My body don't like the fatty foods much anymore

My salads are normally around 300-350cal, tiny bit of cheese, ham and 1 egg.Then I'm hungry a hour or two after I eat.I try to stick with t
Chicken breast or thin cut porkchops. I can eat two chicken breast and be less calories then a crap salad.

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 09:06 AM

You do realize he said he is trying to BUILD muscle while losing fat right? You can't possibly increase muscle mass while maintaining the same amount of protein.

Fat and protein are not the same. Losing weight as fat doesn't help him build muscle. It will help him burn fat AND muscle even if he maintains 1 gram protein/pound of body weight.

-Alex

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't it be best to drop weight first, then start lifting?

Atleast that's what I plan to do, I noticed when I lifted and tried to drop weight it didn't work to well for me.

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Atleast that's what I plan to do, I noticed when I lifted and tried to drop weight it didn't work to well for me.

I've been on a gaining phase and due to the diet I was on, I gained more fat than I wanted. I also took in a ton of carbs at the same time and honestly my diet wasn't the cleanest as it could have been. This is just a test for me right now. I am trying to maintain muscle and see if I can shed a few pounds of stomach fat. It's only been 10 days now. I'll give it a few more weeks.

-Alex

M3AN 1
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Good luck, if you don't have alot of weight to loose it makes sence to try and build and loose at the same time. I have nearly 100 lbs I want to loose so I just look at things a little different I guess.

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Good luck, if you don't have alot of weight to loose it makes sence to try and build and loose at the same time. I have nearly 100 lbs I want to loose so I just look at things a little different I guess.

I hear ya. I am 6 even, 190lbs. I can stand to lose just a few for the tire I started accumulating around my stomach lol.

-Alex

blownaltered
02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm 6' and 236lbs as of this morning. I am losing weight, down 5lbs now. I'm not taking in as much protein as I would if I was trying to get big, I'm about 75 to 100 g of protein away from that. In reality I need to lose another 46lbs but I have done it this way before. Its not fast but I gain strength and start feeling out my shirts better while doing it this way. I'm hoping I get down to around 220 by April.

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 10:55 AM
What's crazy to me us if I eat crap foods or try to sneak in a soda my stomach gets upset now lol. My body don't like the fatty foods much anymore

My salads are normally around 300-350cal, tiny bit of cheese, ham and 1 egg.Then I'm hungry a hour or two after I eat.I try to stick with t
Chicken breast or thin cut porkchops. I can eat two chicken breast and be less calories then a crap salad.

It's because your body is now at a very high acidic level. Your system is so taxed that your body is trying to fight off just about anything your throw at it due to all the excess acid/weight. It's what your body does to protect its vital organs.

To lower your acidic level, stay away from any kind of processed food (pasta, breads, dairy) and red meat and reduce your portion size of your white meats. Your body is struggling to digest what you are giving it and creating more acid.

You do realize he said he is trying to BUILD muscle while losing fat right? You can't possibly increase muscle mass while maintaining the same amount of protein.

Fat and protein are not the same. Losing weight as fat doesn't help him build muscle. It will help him burn fat AND muscle even if he maintains 1 gram protein/pound of body weight.

-Alex

It's near impossible to build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Eating what he NEEDS will allow him to maintain what he has while cutting weight. Anything more than that will just be a waste and slow his weightloss progress.

In my opinion from my experience, you should do both. I'm in the same boat as you having a lot of weight to lose. As you lose weight, you want to maintain the amount of muscle you currently have. After all, the more muscle you have the more fat you can burn.

The way Dominic and Blownaltered are thinking isn't really wrong persay, it's just a leaner guy's way of thinking rather than a very heavy persons way of doing things. Us big guys can't approach things like the little guys do. If we did, it would take 5-6 years to get anywhere with weight loss. lol.

Exactly. When you're so overweight the focus should be on learning how to eat cleanly and getting more active. Eat clean, burn more calories than you take in. Pick shit up, and put it down. Keep it simple in the beginning. Otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail later.

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm 6' and 236lbs as of this morning. I am losing weight, down 5lbs now. I'm not taking in as much protein as I would if I was trying to get big, I'm about 75 to 100 g of protein away from that. In reality I need to lose another 46lbs but I have done it this way before. Its not fast but I gain strength and start feeling out my shirts better while doing it this way. I'm hoping I get down to around 220 by April.

Good work man, keep at it.

The way Dominic and Blownaltered are thinking isn't really wrong persay, it's just a leaner guy's way of thinking rather than a very heavy persons way of doing things. Us big guys can't approach things like the little guys do. If we did, it would take 5-6 years to get anywhere with weight loss. lol.

Valid point. Can't argue that.

Steve I am curious as to what you may have also learned about poultry meats. I love cooking with chicken breasts and turkey. Baked or grilled.

-Alex

blownaltered
02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Good work man, keep at it.

Valid point. Can't argue that.

Steve I am curious as to what you may have also learned about poultry meats. I love cooking with chicken breasts and turkey. Baked or grilled.

-Alex

I love turkey now. I am cooking turkey loaf tomorrow night. Have that with some green beans or something and its a good meal. Low fat, good protein and tastes great.

Futwa
02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Some really good information here. I did a 3 month transformation type workout where I focused on building muscle and shredding fat (think of an accelerated body builder type workout/diet) and I ended up right at 9% body fat. I'm 6ft and ended up weighing 186 when everything was said and done. It's tough to get started and even tougher to stick with it but having a support system, whether it be this forum, friends, or family really really helped push me through it.

Hey Steve I read your post on Cow milk and that is exactly why I don't think that stuff!

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Some really good information here. I did a 3 month transformation type workout where I focused on building muscle and shredding fat (think of an accelerated body builder type workout/diet) and I ended up right at 9% body fat. I'm 6ft and ended up weighing 186 when everything was said and done. It's tough to get started and even tougher to stick with it but having a support system, whether it be this forum, friends, or family really really helped push me through it.

Hey Steve I read your post on Cow milk and that is exactly why I don't think that stuff!

Can you give some details on your diet while building muscle/shredding?

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Also Steve, how much is a gallon of almond milk?

-Alex

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 12:05 PM

-Alex

What I have learned about the meat industry so far is quite a bit actually. The regular store bought meats (both red and poultry) that you buy from the mass producers isn't as healthy as we once thought.

Red meats - ALL ground meats are washed with ammonia. (Yes, AMMONIA. The same shit that is used in windshield wiper fluids and PineSol!!)

Small steak cutlets are put back together with meat glues. It's a toxic glue but is within federal regulations once it's cooked, but still..glue..in your food. Gross.

Both sides red meat and poultry are ALL fed corn based diets to make the animals extra fat therefor increasing the fat content of all meats.

Poultry - Chickens specifically are highly engineered to keep up with demands. They go from chicks to fully grown in about 7 weeks fed heavily based corn grain and injected with hormones to increase their breast sizes. They get so big, so fast that they are unable to walk due to their bone structures not being able to support the sped up growth.

All of this stuff is passed to you as you eat it.

Find yourself a Whole Foods or Sprouts etc to find organic farm raised meats. You want to eat animals that were fed properly themselves on foods they were meant to eat (grass, proper grains/seeds etc) and not corn fed.

Poultry isn't quite as dense as red meat therefor your body doesn't need to create as much acid to break it down. You want to eat a portion about the size of your palm. Anything more than that will go to fat storage created by high acid levels trying to break down the excess. Your body knows what it can handle and what it can't. Once it's reached it digestion limit, it starts storing it.

It's important to prepare and cook chicken properly too. Completely trim it of all skin and fats. Use as little oil as possible. Preferrably EVOO or coconut oil.

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I was really shocked when I found out about milk. It sucks too because I really loved drinking milk. I, like most everyone else, fell for the "milk does a body good" marketing campaigns. The food industry has some really disgusting secrets!

Also Steve, how much is a gallon of almond milk?

-Alex

It's about $3 bucks or so. I buy it in the half gallon size and it last me awhile. I use it to cook with or an occasional small glass to drink. I usually have it every morning cooked in my oatmeal with organic flaxseed. YUM!

blownaltered
02-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I was really shocked when I found out about milk. It sucks too because I really loved drinking milk. I, like most everyone else, fell for the "milk does a body good" marketing campaigns. The food industry has some really disgusting secrets!

It's about $3 bucks or so. I buy it in the half gallon size and it last me awhile. I use it to cook with or an occasional small glass to drink. I usually have it every morning cooked in my oatmeal with organic flaxseed. YUM!

Did you really just say yum to that. I would rather have scrambled egg whites with some Canadian bacon, that's yum.

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM

That's about the same as a gallon of milk. I'll start looking for that, thanks man!

What's interesting is that I had some inclination that foods are drinks were starting to have hormones in them due to how the younger population is developing so early these days. I know it's off topic but, I remember when I was in high school, girls looked like girls, now you can find some 15 year olds that look over 20.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Did you really just say yum to that. I would rather have scrambled egg whites with some Canadian bacon, that's yum.

I'm still researching eggs. It's a highly controversial topic if they are good for you or not. I'm still on the fence. I eat eggs on occasion, but only organic eggs and the egg white itself. I'm working on lowering my LDL levels which is why the egg thing is "iffy" to me until I can decide on them.

And yes, oatmeal with flaxseed in it, add a banana while it's hot so it melts. YUMMMMM. :)

That's about the same as a gallon of milk. I'll start looking for that, thanks man!

What's interesting is that I had some inclination that foods are drinks were starting to have hormones in them due to how the younger population is developing so early these days. I know it's off topic but, I remember when I was in high school, girls looked like girls, now you can find some 15 year olds that look over 20.

-Alex

Exactly. It's also why we are seeing obesity at a much earlier age too.

Makes you think about that joking one liner " Damn girl, I know milk does a body good, but how much milk you drinking!?!"

Irony.

blownaltered
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM

-Alex

Its wild, I see girls all the time that are fine as hell and then I feel like a dirty old man when I realize they are under 18. Then I realize I am a dirty old man and look again :facepalm:

blownaltered
02-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm still researching eggs. It's a highly controversial topic if they are good for you or not. I'm still on the fence. I eat eggs on occasion, but only organic eggs and the egg white itself. I'm working on lowering my LDL levels which is why the egg thing is "iffy" to me until I can decide on them.

And yes, oatmeal with flaxseed in it, add a banana while it's hot so it melts. YUMMMMM. :)

Makes you think about that joking one liner " Damn girl, I know milk does a body good, but how much milk you drinking!?!"

Irony.

Lets not fucking blame obesity of these fat bastards on milk and hormones. Lets put the blame where it belongs, in their fucking parents for taking their fat asses to McDonalds every damn day. My wife sees it everyday where she works (pediatricians office), these parents feed their kids what ever they wants. They have kids come in that are 300lbs and 13 years old and they want the doctor to give them a handicapped pass so their kid doesn't have to walk as far and can take the elevator at certain places. The doctors tell them no and the parent goes to a new doctor to get it so their kid doesn't have to exercise. That is where the blame needs to be put not on fucking milk. Look how skinny my kids are and they eat all the shit that you are saying is horrible for you and is to blame. Sorry this one pisses me off, not Steve's comment it the fact these parents do this to their kids because they can't tell them no when the kid wants another fucking cup cake. Your kids fat give him a carrot.

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Lets not fucking blame obesity of these fat bastards on milk and hormones. Lets put the blame where it belongs, in their fucking parents for taking their fat asses to McDonalds every damn day. My wife sees it everyday where she works (pediatricians office), these parents feed their kids what ever they wants. They have kids come in that are 300lbs and 13 years old and they want the doctor to give them a handicapped pass so their kid doesn't have to walk as far and can take the elevator at certain places. The doctors tell them no and the parent goes to a new doctor to get it so their kid doesn't have to exercise. That is where the blame needs to be put not on fucking milk. Look how skinny my kids are and they eat all the shit that you are saying is horrible for you and is to blame. Sorry this one pisses me off, not Steve's comment it the fact these parents do this to their kids because they can't tell them no when the kid wants another fucking cup cake. Your kids fat give him a organic carrot.

LMAO! Funny, but true post.

Fixed the last part.

<----can't believe he has turned into a hippie. lol

Dominic Toretto
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Irony.

My ex and I joked about Aunt Gemima being the blame for childhood obesity. But I also attribute much of it to the activity of the child. Children have an insane amount of energy. My soon-to-be five year old daughter is like a damn chihuahua when she is in doors. And that is before she may have any sugar. She loves being out doors and will play her ass off. So will her ten year old sister. Both girls trim and active in cheerleading.

Its wild, I see girls all the time that are fine as hell and then I feel like a dirty old man when I realize they are under 18. Then I realize I am a dirty old man and look again :facepalm:

ROFL. It's really crazy to witness. I don't go to The Parks Mall anymore because of this.

-Alex

Futwa
02-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Lets not fucking blame obesity of these fat bastards on milk and hormones. Lets put the blame where it belongs, in their fucking parents for taking their fat asses to McDonalds every damn day. My wife sees it everyday where she works (pediatricians office), these parents feed their kids what ever they wants. They have kids come in that are 300lbs and 13 years old and they want the doctor to give them a handicapped pass so their kid doesn't have to walk as far and can take the elevator at certain places. The doctors tell them no and the parent goes to a new doctor to get it so their kid doesn't have to exercise. That is where the blame needs to be put not on fucking milk. Look how skinny my kids are and they eat all the shit that you are saying is horrible for you and is to blame. Sorry this one pisses me off, not Steve's comment it the fact these parents do this to their kids because they can't tell them no when the kid wants another fucking cup cake. Your kids fat give him a carrot.

^this. It's astounded to see a parent feed their child Mc Donalds as they prepare some organic chicken salad for themselves....The response I get is always the same "meh, they're kids....they'll burn it off"

Grandpa
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
^this. It's astounded to see a parent feed their child Mc Donalds as they prepare some organic chicken salad for themselves....The response I get is always the same "meh, they're kids....they'll burn it off"

Do you have kids?

JDMLOL
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Steve, you keep talking about these acid levels. Are high acid levels what contribute to colon cancer? I've heard eating lots of red meats increases the risk of it.

Grandpa
02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Steve, you keep talking about these acid levels. Are high acid levels what contribute to colon cancer? I've heard eating lots of red meats increases the risk of it.

Acid levels contribute all ALL health issues. It's the basis of disease. Keeping your acidic levels low and controlled can reverse just about all health issues. High blood pressure, diabetes, chloresterol, pre-cancer cells etc.

Most health problems start from an unbalanced alkaline (PH) level. When our bodies take in foods that create a lot of acid in order to digest them, it throws everything off. Your body can only fight so many things at once so something somewhere has to suffer while the system is being heavily taxed.

Red meat is very, very hard on our bodies to digest. Your body knows it almost immediately that's why you get that feeling of wanting to lay down sleep after eating a big heavy meal. In order for your body to digest that very dense meat, the body needs to create more than the usual amount of acid in the system in order to break it down. Even still, it's difficult to pass through our bodies to be rid of it.

If you're one of those guys who needs to sit on the toilet for a long period of time in order to shit, you may seriously want to re-evaluate your diet due to the damage your doing to your digestive system (including your colon).

Dominic Toretto
02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
If you're one of those guys who needs to sit on the toilet for a long period of time in order to shit, you may seriously want to re-evaluate your diet due to the damage your doing to your digestive system (including your colon).

That has nothing to do with meat. I eat plenty of meat and have absolutely no problem passing food.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
That has nothing to do with meat. I eat plenty of meat and have absolutely no problem passing food.

-Alex

False, false, false. You may not have problems NOW. You're still young, you still think you are invincible still. lol. You are no different than anyone else in the human race prone for the same health issues everyone else is with a poor/unbalanced diet.

Dominic Toretto
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
False, false, false. You may not have problems NOW. You're still young, you still think you are invincible still. lol. You are no different than anyone else in the human race prone for the same health issues everyone else is with a poor/unbalanced diet.

False, false, false. I AM invincible:challenge:

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I compared almond milk to 2% cow milk and decided it simply wasn't worth it. I was expected much better, especially protein wise. How does a drink made out of almonds have so little protein? It has half the amount of calories, which is okay but more sodium wtf? Milk also has way more potassium.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/CAM00098.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/supraman90_2006/CAM00100.jpg

Also keep in mind, if you are really looking to skimp on calories and fat, you can opt for 1% milk, which will still have more protein than almond milk.

So from this, it looks like almond milk is about as equivalent as drinking a glass of salt water. Not saying almond milk is necessarily bad for you but, milk is better for me. I like protein and potassium(without having to go through bananas which spoil immediately).

-Alex

5PointSlow
02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
i tend to stick to skim milk.

Grandpa
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Are you this hard headed about everything? lol

Milk is horrible for you. What is more important is what that label isn't telling that is in that milk. Puss, hormones, antibiotics, fecal matter etc. If you want to put that stuff into your body, fine that is business. But you will never convince me that store bought cows milk is good for you, because it's not. You're buying into a marketing campaign that has been drilled into you since you were a kid. That's it.

JDMLOL
02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Alex, I thought the same when I looked at the almond milk so I got soy milk. Less calories than traditional milk per 8oz serving with 6g protein. So once you pour about 11oz of soy milk you're looking at identical calories and protein as skim milk without the garbage. Didn't look at the sodium content vs dairy milk though.

Dominic Toretto
02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Are you this hard headed about everything? lol

Milk is horrible for you. What is more important is what that label isn't telling that is in that milk. Puss, hormones, antibiotics, fecal matter etc. If you want to put that stuff into your body, fine that is business. But you will never convince me that store bought cows milk is good for you, because it's not. You're buying into a marketing campaign that has been drilled into you since you were a kid. That's it.

I'm not trying to convince you to switch Steve:).

How do you know all that stuff is in every container of milk if any? I've you're trying to make a sale, you'll need more than the above arbitrary statements.

Show some measurable statistics. What hormones am I consuming in milk that my body doesn't already produce? Define puss per this conversation because I looked it up and it literally means cat. What antibiotics are in the milk that are bad for human consumption? Where is the fecal matter?

Alex, I thought the same when I looked at the almond milk so I got soy milk. Less calories than traditional milk per 8oz serving with 6g protein. So once you pour about 11oz of soy milk you're looking at identical calories and protein as skim milk without the garbage. Didn't look at the sodium content vs dairy milk though.

I don't know much about soy but, I've heard that it was bad for males. I don't consume it and didn't intend on it, so I haven't bothered looking into the subject.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Good grief. You're going on ignore. Lol

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Yeah buddy!! New personal bests last night working chest/tri's! This shit is getting addicting. :)

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah buddy!! New personal bests last night working chest/tri's! This shit is getting addicting. :)

OK what was your best.

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Heavier weight, more reps? Good job either way.

-Alex

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 01:44 PM
OK what was your best.

The specifics don't matter to anyone but me. The point of the comment is I'm making GAIIINNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZ. :favorites13:

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
The specifics don't matter to anyone but me. The point of the comment is I'm making GAIIINNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZ. :favorites13:

That's fair.

I've been able to maintain strength while cutting down. I feel lighter. Less bloated. I eat lunch at my desk now and use actual lunch break to walk outside around the building. Won't do much but, every little bit helps.

-Alex

BERT
02-18-2014, 02:13 PM

No, it matters :D

Just think about how much more you could lift if you drank REAL milk!! :ROFLJest:

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Just think about how much more you could lift if you drank REAL milk!! :ROFLJest:

:signs16:

zsommer79
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
:signs16:

I don't think I have had any milk since you said it has puss in it. Got a visual in my head and can't get past it.

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 06:25 PM

or actually took in some real protein.

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
or actually took in some real protein.

LOL @ "real" protein. You can keep your artery clogging "real" proteins and I will stick to natural whole food proteins. I hit my macros everyday including my proteins. We'll see who's laughing in the end and who is making excuses. :favorites13:

BERT
02-18-2014, 07:03 PM
I haven't worked out in 2 damn weeks. On the bright side my shoulder isn't hurting me anymore lol

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
I haven't worked out in 2 damn weeks. On the bright side my shoulder isn't hurting me anymore lol

Awww, the widdle widdle carnivore has an owie. Guess all that "real" protein didn't build all that supporting muscle for you after all. :roflsquared:

You could have worked legs or done some kind of cardio, slacker! :)

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
LOL @ "real" protein. You can keep your artery clogging "real" proteins and I will stick to natural whole food proteins. I hit my macros everyday including my proteins. We'll see who's laughing in the end and who is making excuses. :favorites13:

Talk all the shit you want but I notice somebody on DR is actually ordering protein to supplement what they aren't getting from those little old plants. To build muscle you will need 250 g of it a day so get to drinking big boy.

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Talk all the shit you want but I notice somebody on DR is actually ordering protein to supplement what they aren't getting from those little old plants. To build muscle you will need 250 g of it a day so get to drinking big boy.

HA! Because no meat eaters use protein supplements, right?

LOL, you're assuming a lot of things to make yourself feel better about losing to a vegetarian. hahahahaha.

The whey protein drinks are the mornings I'm short on time, or when I don't feel like cooking something. Nice try there though. lmao!

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 08:26 PM
HA! Because no meat eaters use protein supplements, right?

LOL, you're assuming a lot of things to make yourself feel better about losing to a vegetarian. hahahahaha.

The whey protein drinks are the mornings I'm short on time, or when I don't feel like cooking something. Nice try there though. lmao!

I do believe my 235 is less than you veggie boy. Oh yeah I said it 235, my chicken was good to. Going to increase my protein next week to right at 230 g a day. Very seldom eat red meat now. It's all chicken, turkey and fish of some sort and I'm not a big fan of fish but damn it to win I will do it.

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Double post

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Awww, the widdle widdle carnivore has an owie. Guess all that "real" protein didn't build all that supporting muscle for you after all. :roflsquared:

Why don't we compare physiques? Post a picture of yourself(veggievore) and I'll post a picture of me(carnivore) and let everyone decide who is in better shape.

If you're in better shape than me, I'll stop eating meat for a solid week. If I am in better shape than you, you have to eat a Five Guys double:challenge:

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Got this in my email today. Just sharing.

While there are plenty of BAD carbs out there, you don't have to completely eliminate carbs from your diet in order to burn fat fast, especially when you choose the RIGHT sources. Having said that, below are my top 4 choices for belly-blasting carbs that'll leave you full and satisfied, while helping you toward your fat loss goals to boot!

#4 - Berries & Cherries

Berries like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and cherries (although not technically a berry) are some of the BEST carbs you can eat. They are high in fiber, packed with antioxidants, and score extremely low on the glycemic index, especially cherries which come with a GI of just 22.

I enjoy fresh berries for dessert several times a week and it's an awesome, nutritious way to finish off any meal. Great as a snack, too! Try them on top of Greek yogurt... Mmm :)

#3 - Sprouted Grain Bread

Sprouted grain breads, like Ezekiel 4:9 bread (one of the most popular brands of sprouted grain bread) is a great way to include bread in your diet without all the issues associated with white breads and even 100% whole wheat breads.

Instead, Ezekiel bread is organic, sprouted, 100% whole grain flourless bread. A 2-slice serving even contains 8 grams of complete protein and 6 grams of fiber, so don't give up the bread, just choose the right kind!

#2 - Quinoa

While brown rice is thought to be the healthy grain, there’s one even better, and that’s quinoa.

Quinoa is a gluten free grain that contains double the protein of brown rice along with greater fiber content and a lower glycemic load.

Not only that, but quinoa is the ONLY grain to contain complete protein and the full spectrum of amino acids. It comes in several varieties, including “oatmeal-like” flakes and it’s wholegrain rice-like form.

Enjoy it as an oatmeal substitute for breakfast, in salads or casseroles, or as a wholesome whole-grain, high protein side item to any lunch or dinner meal.

#1 - Beans, Lentils, and other Legumes

Beans and Lentils, part of the "legume" family, just may be my #1 choice for a healthy carb. Packed with loads of fiber and protein, these guys come in so many different varieties that you'll never get bored: lentils, chickpeas, black eyed peas, black beans, red beans, kidney beans, navy beans, butter beans, lima beans, pinto beans...and the list goes on.

Because of their fiber & protein content, along with their versatility, I eat something from the legume family in at least one of my meals daily. I'd highly recommend you'd do the same!

Now before I go, I also want to make sure you're aware of one particular carb that you literally should NEVER eat. You see, this extremely common carb wreaks havoc on your fat-storing hormones in a MAJOR way, and has even been shown to hamper memory, slow brain activity, and increase your risk of Alzheimer’s.

Even worse, the money-hungry food industry is conspiring to sneak this nightmare carb into just about everything.

==> NEVER eat this carb (literally, never)

To your success,

Joel

--------
Joel Marion
Co-Founder, BioTrust Nutrition

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Its a marathon, not a sprint. ;)

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Why don't we compare physiques? Post a picture of yourself(veggievore) and I'll post a picture of me(carnivore) and let everyone decide who is in better shape.

If you're in better shape than me, I'll stop eating meat for a solid week. If I am in better shape than you, you have to eat a Five Guys double:challenge:

-Alex

This is between Donnie and I. Has nothing to do with you. Being "in shape" is relative to whatever it is you do and doesnt apply to everything. I might not be as strong as you lifting a certain way but i would thrash you on the mats and you'd be huffing and puffing thinking about throwing up your guts in the trash can in the corner like all the rest of the wannabe meatheads. Lol. Thats because we are training for different things. Big bodybuilder type dont succeed in my sport. They gas out in less than two minutes.

Im not looking to be a big bodybuilder type. Im not try to be Arnold over here. I dont need to be crazy strong in my sport. Im just getting healthy, detoxing completely, lowering my LDL level, blood pressure and weight. We have completely different goals.

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 09:47 PM
This is between Donnie and I. Has nothing to do with you. Being "in shape" is relative to whatever it is you do and doesnt apply to everything. I might not be as strong as you lifting a certain way but i would thrash you on the mats and you'd be huffing and puffing thinking about throwing up your guts in the trash can in the corner like all the rest of the wannabe meatheads. Lol. Thats because we are training for different things. Big bodybuilder type dont succeed in my sport. They gas out in less than two minutes.

Im not looking to be a big bodybuilder type. Im not try to be Arnold over here. I dont need to be crazy strong in my sport. Im just getting healthy, detoxing completely, lowering my LDL level, blood pressure and weight. We have completely different goals.

Well you can have a competition between Donnie but I am calling you out. You want to crack jokes about someone being injured and blame it on eating meat. That's ridiculous. If being a vegivore can get someone in a bodybuilding type shape, then let's put it to the test. I want to see your results based on being a vegivore and compare them to my results being a carnivore so we can really see who is going to be more prone to weaker muscles.

You can't sit behind the keyboard and tell people that workout for strength that eating meat is bad, when we can lift more than you. You're beginning to sound like the 6 foot 110lb salesman at GNC trying to sell me on proteins lol:shitsweak:.

Speaking of height and weight, how tall are you? How much do you weigh and what percentage of that is body fat?

By the way, I am by no means a "meathead" lol but, I am willing to take this bet here and now that me eating meats has better results in building muscle and overall better build than you eating veggies. I am 6 foot even, 184 pounds. Not a meathead, maybe if I were over 200lbs with less bodyfat. The proof is in the results. So let's show the results and let people judge themselves based on that. Would you buy a performance car part without seeing what the results would be?

-Alex

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Well you can have a competition between Donnie but I am calling you out. You want to crack jokes about someone being injured and blame it on eating meat. That's ridiculous. If being a vegivore can get someone in a bodybuilding type shape, then let's put it to the test. I want to see your results based on being a vegivore and compare them to my results being a carnivore so we can really see who is going to be more prone to weaker muscles.

You can't sit behind the keyboard and tell people that workout for strength that eating meat is bad, when we can lift more than you. You're beginning to sound like the 6 foot 110lb salesman at GNC trying to sell me on proteins lol:shitsweak:.

Speaking of height and weight, how tall are you? How much do you weigh and what percentage of that is body fat?

By the way, I am by no means a "meathead" lol but, I am willing to take this bet here and now that me eating meats has better results in building muscle and overall better build than you eating veggies. I am 6 foot even, 184 pounds. Not a meathead, maybe if I were over 200lbs with less bodyfat. The proof is in the results. So let's show the results and let people judge themselves based on that. Would you buy a performance car part without seeing what the results would be?

-Alex

If you werent so over eager to argue you just might be see what im saying. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm putting in my two cents like everyone else. You're wanting to argue so much you're making drama where there isnt any. Donnie and I are personal friends having fun prodding one another. Then here you are to jump in the middle of it all being hell bent.

Ive never said that i could lift more than anyone else or anything near that. You have your opinions and I have mine. What im doing nutrition wise is for my own health benefits. Im not trying to get big or ripped up or any of that nonsense. Its strictly a health and weight loss thing.

Its my belief that that a high intake of meat is not good for our bodies. There is more to being healthy than being all "swoll". You have a different opinion.

Once again, you and I have two different goals training for completely different things. So that makes your call out not only pointless but laughable cuz its so ridiculous. I cant stop laughing at being challenged to a posedown or some shit. Lmao. So you can relax because there is nothing to "prove" here.

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 11:09 PM
If you werent so over eager to argue you just might be see what im saying. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm putting in my two cents like everyone else. You're wanting to argue so much you're making drama where there isnt any. Donnie and I are personal friends having fun prodding one another. Then here you are to jump in the middle of it all being hell bent.

Ive never said that i could lift more than anyone else or anything near that. You have your opinions and I have mine. What im doing nutrition wise is for my own health benefits. Im not trying to get big or ripped up or any of that nonsense. Its strictly a health and weight loss thing.

Its my belief that that a high intake of meat is not good for our bodies. There is more to being healthy than being all "swoll". You have a different opinion.

Once again, you and I have two different goals training for completely different things. So that makes your call out not only pointless but laughable cuz its so ridiculous. I cant stop laughing at being challenged to a posedown or some shit. Lmao. So you can relax because there is nothing to "prove" here.

Okay, so is Donnie's screen name Bert or Blownaltered? Because I've seen the conversation between you and blownaltered and that seems to be good fun but what you said to Bert just came off as kind of snotty. And that was clearly what I addressed.

Again, I don't consider myself a "beefcake" or "swoll" so those terms, as ambiguous as they are, don't really help your argument because you don't know what I look like.

I'm glad you admit that you and I have two different goals. With that said, you can't make these blanket claims that "meat is bad for you" or my personal favorite that started this offshoot "Awww, the widdle widdle carnivore has an owie. Guess all that "real" protein didn't build all that supporting muscle for you after all." If someone wants to gain muscle, we can't do that eating rabbit food. It's not possible. So meat does have it's benefits. Here's some names of professionals that eat meat and I promise you, they are in better shape that both of us; Jay Cutler, Johnnie Jackson, Dexter Jackson, Branch Warren, Matt Duvall... can't think of anymore off hand. They are meatheads and I would bet a years salary, anything physically competitive you can do, they can do much better. And also keep in mind, in order for them to be as lean and cut as they are, they do tons of cardio. So throw out that bs of being a meathead means you can't be well-rounded. It's just dumb.

Glad we are both laughing. I asked you to post a picture of yourself so we can all see how this veggie only diet has been working for you. If being a veggievore is so great, and eating meat is terrible, then by that rationale, you should be in MUCH better shape than me right?

-Alex

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Lol. Bert and Blownaltered are both friends of mine. I promise you that Bert's feelings were not harmed in any manner.

Donnie= blownaltered. Close personal friend. I was there was his kids were born if that tells you anything. Lol

blownaltered
02-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Wow that escalated quickly. Dominic you need to chill the fuck out man. Steve and I are close personal friends that communicate off these boards on almost a daily basis. Most of the banter we have if for our own entertainment. As for you jumping all over Steve I would love to see you jump on the mat with him. Steve will tell you I am stronger in weight lifting than him and he schools me on the mats. There are different types of goals. Steve doesn't want to be big and ripped. He just wants to lose his weight and feel better.

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 11:31 PM
On the other note, those large over muscled bodybuilders dont do well in my sport. Those supersized muscles require WAY too much oxygen in order to be usable for length of reasonable time. I have rolled with those types many, many times and they always gas out. Its their instinct to power everything and that doesnt work. If you would like to give it a try thinking you could do well and could hang with an old fat guy like myself you can consider yourself having an open invitation. You would quickly see there is a big difference in training for muscle strength and endurance and why i say your points dont apply to me or my training.

Grandpa
02-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Wow that escalated quickly. Dominic you need to chill the fuck out man. Steve and I are close personal friends that communicate off these boards on almost a daily basis. Most of the banter we have if for our own entertainment. As for you jumping all over Steve I would love to see you jump on the mat with him. Steve will tell you I am stronger in weight lifting than him and he schools me on the mats. There are different types of goals. Steve doesn't want to be big and ripped. He just wants to lose his weight and feel better.

Exactly.

Now, tell me about your dunking expierence. Ive been waiting for that story. Lol

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Lol. Bert and Blownaltered are both friends of mine. I promise you that Bert's feelings were not harmed in any manner.

Donnie= blownaltered. Close personal friend. I was there was his kids were born if that tells you anything. Lol

Oh okay well that changes the matter. Didn't realize you and Bert were cool like that, so I apologize:favorites13:.

I'm chilled out now. As far as mats, I don't know what that is.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-18-2014, 11:48 PM
On the other note, those large over muscled bodybuilders dont do well in my sport. Those supersized muscles require WAY too much oxygen in order to be usable for length of reasonable time. I have rolled with those types many, many times and they always gas out. Its their instinct to power everything and that doesnt work. If you would like to give it a try thinking you could do well and could hang with an old fat guy like myself you can consider yourself having an open invitation. You would quickly see there is a big difference in training for muscle strength and endurance and why i say your points dont apply to me or my training.

I'm down when I have some free time. I probably won't do as well as you, since that is your niche. Which is why I don't do crossfit but, I'll give it a shot when I have a Thursday free with my bestie. What is mats anyway?

-Alex

Grandpa
02-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Mats are cushioned floor mats that we train on in BJJ. Rolling around on wood or concrete doesn't feel to good. That's only done when you aren't given a choice. lol

blownaltered
02-19-2014, 02:06 AM
Mats are cushioned floor mats that we train on in BJJ. Rolling around on wood or concrete doesn't feel to good. That's only done when you aren't given a choice. lol

Let me know when so I can be entertained. The funny thing is Steve is one of the most gentle guys to newbies in the bjj gym. But if you cross him he will make you pay. If your lucky he will even bless you!

Grandpa
02-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Lmao!! The Benny Hinn cracks me up, what can i say. Hahaha

Dominic Toretto
02-19-2014, 10:23 AM
What is bjj. Jiu Jitsu of some form?

-Alex

blownaltered
02-19-2014, 12:01 PM
What is bjj. Jiu Jitsu of some form?

-Alex

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is what BJJ stands for. Specifically trained in the Gracie lineage. I trained with Steve for years and can tell you now, it will be a very humbling experience for you. People that don't train and never have, really have no idea what a trained BJJ fighter can do to you. Imagine play wrestling with a 3 year old at your size and age. That is what its like for somebody that is trained to roll with someone who has never done it. Its like throwing around a baby. I know that sound cocky but that is what it feels like, I have done that to many new people. Now I'm so out of practice I will probably lose to people that have only been in it for a little while but a new guy will get triangle choked. :sparta:

BERT
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
lol. Bert and blownaltered are both friends of mine. i promise you that bert's feelings were not harmed in any manner.

donnie= blownaltered. Close personal friend. I was there was his kids were born if that tells you anything. Lol

you fucking bastard!!!!!!!!! I'm going home!!

BERT
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM

You could have worked legs or done some kind of cardio, slacker! :)

I don't "has" an owie, I "had" an owie. Get it right, Steve. And it was cause by me being the idiot I am lol

Grandpa
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't "has" an owie, I "had" an owie. Get it right, Steve. And it was cause by me being the idiot I am lol

Dare I ask how you injured yourself?

-side note. Send me a text. I got a new phone and your number didn't transfer at the store.