PDA

View Full Version : SCT Tuner...where to buy?

Smurf50
06-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I am looking at getting an SCT X3 tuner (the one on American Muscle) and I am wondering if there is a benefit to me getting it there, or if a local shop would be better? I know I get custom tunes for life from BAMA if I get it off AM.com, but are their e-mailed tunes actually worth using? I mean at most I might try the ghost cam tune just for giggles...then put it back to stock or "race tune" when the gimmick wears off...

DirtyD
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Find one used if you can. They will be cheaper. If you can find one that has been locked and buy it for < $100, and you don't mind sending it off to SCT to be unlocked for $150, then I would recommend that route. I bought my tuner for $75 locked, paid to unlock it, and now I have basically a brand new tuner for $225 when it would've cost me $300-$389 (retail) to get one from another Mustang owner or new.

As for Bama, you will find there are some people that like their tunes, other that don't. They are not the most aggressive tunes you will have, but they aren't horrible.

The free tunes for life is hard to beat, but they conservativeness of their tunes is the down side. Because they tune to protect their "#8 Warranty" they leave a lot on the table as far as power.

The ghost cam tune will do nothing but destroy your cats if you still have them. Plus you can sit and watch your gas gauge needle move towards E as you idle....

Rydawg1
06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
A custom dyno tune is the ideal way to go, but you're going to spend upwards of $700 for both the hand held tuner and the custom dyno tune in one sitting. I didn't have that much $ in the slush fund to go that route, so I opted for the AM SCT/Bama tuner for now and later on I'll get the custom tune done. I've been on the Bama tune for a little while now and I like it just fine. Noticeably better than stock for sure.

Smurf50
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
That's what I am thinking is get the one from AM and the free tunes for life. I am used to the shortage of gas as I already get abysmal mpg, and I wouldn't use it long...just to see how it sounds compared to a real cam setup.

With the mods that I have planned I would need a full dyno tune down the road, but right now I am really leaning towards just the canned tune just to get a little more power.

I had an option to get a locked SCT, but I am not really too keen on "used" parts :(

DirtyD
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
To me, there is a common misconception about buying a programmer used. Unless the previous owner leaves it outside in the elements, puts it through a dishwasher, or washing machine, a handheld programmer can't really be used and abused at all. I mean think about it. It is one for MAYBE 20-30 minutes at a time, maybe once or twice a week, and that's being a OCD tune swapper. LOL (Longer if you are datalogging though). The tuner is just a tool that is used for transporting files to the ECU.

There is nothing mechanical to break, nothing that you have to worry about being excessively used other than POSSIBLY the circuit board attached to the buttons.

As long as you try the tuner before you buy, then you can get what you are looking for with much less money.

TrueStreetTim
06-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Another option: Our June Tune special is still going on. -$50 off SCT programmers with tune purchase.

Smurf50
06-18-2013, 10:58 AM
To me, there is a common misconception about buying a programmer used. Unless the previous owner leaves it outside in the elements, puts it through a dishwasher, or washing machine, a handheld programmer can't really be used and abused at all. I mean think about it. It is one for MAYBE 20-30 minutes at a time, maybe once or twice a week, and that's being a OCD tune swapper. LOL (Longer if you are datalogging though). The tuner is just a tool that is used for transporting files to the ECU.

There is nothing mechanical to break, nothing that you have to worry about being excessively used other than POSSIBLY the circuit board attached to the buttons.

As long as you try the tuner before you buy, then you can get what you are looking for with much less money.

I get that, I completely do! Being in the tech industry for the better part of my life has somewhat jaded me to used items. I know that something might "boot up" but unless it's thoroughly tested you cannot see if there will be a malfunction or not. With a used tuner, I cannot run a program through my car to make sure everything flashes properly... I have to rely on what the person is telling me.

It's for this same reason that when I sold my Diablo InTune i-1000 I made sure I loaded a tune for the person who bought the tuner. It showed them that it was in fact unlocked (and now locked to their car) and that it was fully working.

I know it's stupid, but my car is my baby....I am protective of her :)

DirtyD
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I get that, I completely do! Being in the tech industry for the better part of my life has somewhat jaded me to used items. I know that something might "boot up" but unless it's thoroughly tested you cannot see if there will be a malfunction or not. With a used tuner, I cannot run a program through my car to make sure everything flashes properly... I have to rely on what the person is telling me.

It's for this same reason that when I sold my Diablo InTune i-1000 I made sure I loaded a tune for the person who bought the tuner. It showed them that it was in fact unlocked (and now locked to their car) and that it was fully working.

I know it's stupid, but my car is my baby....I am protective of her :)
I understand.

ThatImpact
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I'd say americanmuscle.com cause of the free tunes for life it's what I got

Zeek
06-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I have the cam tune. If you come out to the 190 and coit meet this Friday I'll load it on. IMO my bama tune is awesome I dynoed it at TS and I had perfect A/F through the whole pull.

FiveLeeter
06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
What is your mod list? AM tunes are very conservative, but work great until you get to doing blowers, cams, nitrous, etc.

At that point, it's best to get a dyno tune. If you already have one of the above, it's best to contact a local dyno tuner and see if you can get one from them. I know locally you can get a dyno tune and SCT for ~$600.