PDA

View Full Version : Gear whine on 3.73s

RedRedemption
06-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey guys I got some gears installed around February. Ever since I got them, there would be a gear whine when I deaccerlerated from 50mph-40. It doesnt make any other sounds other than just part of gear. Could anyone help me out and tell me what make it whine? I thought if I gave it a couple months so the gears could break in, it would go away? But I was wrong :suicide:

Luke
06-15-2013, 05:39 AM
What brand gears, who installed them, and did they use friction modifier

RedRedemption
06-15-2013, 10:43 AM
What brand gears, who installed them, and did they use friction modifier

I got them installed at TrueStreet. They used ford gears and I am pretty sure they used friction modifier?

Luke
06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Oh, well if it's TrueStreet just give them a shout on here, I'm sure they'll answer any questions you have.

Toby
06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
So it only does it decelerating from 50-40? is there a specific gear it does it in or any time any gear from 50-40 mph?

Btw yes we used ford friction modifier along with royal purple 75-90 gear oil in all of our gear installs.

TrueStreetMotorSports.com
06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
How soon can you bring it by for us to take a look at it?

Clint

RedRedemption
06-15-2013, 02:56 PM
So it only does it decelerating from 50-40? is there a specific gear it does it in or any time any gear from 50-40 mph?

Btw yes we used ford friction modifier along with royal purple 75-90 gear oil in all of our gear installs.

It only does it from 50-40. When I let off the gas between that speed, it will start whining. Its weird because im pretty sure its in last gear. But it doesnt whine when slowing down from 60-50 or etc.

MidWest281
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
sounds like a transmission problem, not a rear end gear problem. If it was a rear end gear issue, the whine would likely be present all the time.

RedRedemption
06-15-2013, 04:28 PM
sounds like a transmission problem, not a rear end gear problem. If it was a rear end gear issue, the whine would likely be present all the time.

I don't think it would be a transmission problem because it didnt make any sounds or anything before the gear swap.

kn7671
06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
75w90 gear oil...? I'm pretty sure these cars call for 75w-140 gear oil specifically to quiet down the gear noises associated with 3.73 and numerically higher ratio's.

Also, some shops or mechanics will try to save themselves or customers money re-using the Inner Pinion Bearing and Race, and even sometimes the crush sleeve. I don't care if my car had 200-miles on it when getting a gear swap, a new Inner Pinion bearing is getting installed, regardless of the tools or confidence of the shop and/or mechanic. These few new additional parts cost only $75.00 at the most, and could be the difference between a happy or unhappy customer.

FYI - I have no knowledge of TrueStreet, their reputation, expertise on gear changes, or how they do anything. My comments are simply in reflection of my personal preference. I buy my own parts and watch the mechanic do the install, or it doesn't get done.

Toby
06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
75w90 gear oil...? I'm pretty sure these cars call for 75w-140 gear oil specifically to quiet down the gear noises associated with 3.73 and numerically higher ratio's.

Also, some shops or mechanics will try to save themselves or customers money re-using the Inner Pinion Bearing and Race, and even sometimes the crush sleeve. I don't care if my car had 200-miles on it when getting a gear swap, a new Inner Pinion bearing is getting installed, regardless of the tools or confidence of the shop and/or mechanic. These few new additional parts cost only $75.00 at the most, and could be the difference between a happy or unhappy customer.

FYI - I have no knowledge of TrueStreet, their reputation, expertise on gear changes, or how they do anything. My comments are simply in reflection of my personal preference. I buy my own parts and watch the mechanic do the install, or it doesn't get done.

We have used 75-90 in every set of gears we install with 0 issues of noise. This is actually the first set of gears I have installed that I have been told about making any noise even as minor as this. Also with all new mustangs we always replace the inner pinion bearing with a new one. We keep at least 5 on them in stock.. Most of the time when you try and remove the inner bearing, the case that holds the bearings in place will either get damaged or stretched to where the bearings are now loose, thus the reason for replacing them. Also note that every set of ford racing gears include a new pinion nut and crush sleeve that MUST ALWAYS be replaced with any gear job regardless of any situation!

redredemption we will see you soon to get this guy torn apart to see what is going on!

RedRedemption
06-18-2013, 11:26 AM
We have used 75-90 in every set of gears we install with 0 issues of noise. This is actually the first set of gears I have installed that I have been told about making any noise even as minor as this. Also with all new mustangs we always replace the inner pinion bearing with a new one. We keep at least 5 on them in stock.. Most of the time when you try and remove the inner bearing, the case that holds the bearings in place will either get damaged or stretched to where the bearings are now loose, thus the reason for replacing them. Also note that every set of ford racing gears include a new pinion nut and crush sleeve that MUST ALWAYS be replaced with any gear job regardless of any situation!

redredemption we will see you soon to get this guy torn apart to see what is going on!

Yeah Truestreet is awesome hopefully we can get it figured out this weekend!