PDA

View Full Version : Good dealer in North DFW to install Procal tune...

Varilux
06-14-2013, 09:49 AM
When I asked my Ford dealer (Sam Pack Lewisville) what it would cost to have the Ford Racing Procal tune installed (need to have a dealer install to maintain warranty), he guessed that it would be "1 to 1.5 hours of tech time- so about $110-180."

Considering it takes about 20 minutes to install the tune, I'd like to find a dealer that is more reasonable. Anyone know of a good dealer in the area for having the tune installed?

Thanks,
Pete

Luke
06-14-2013, 09:58 AM
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a dealer that does it for less than that. There's a trio of guys that work at Westway though, maybe they can chime in and help you out. Good luck!

PLASMAN
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
When I asked my Ford dealer (Sam Pack Lewisville) what it would cost to have the Ford Racing Procal tune installed (need to have a dealer install to maintain warranty), he guessed that it would be "1 to 1.5 hours of tech time- so about $110-180."

Considering it takes about 20 minutes to install the tune, I'd like to find a dealer that is more reasonable. Anyone know of a good dealer in the area for having the tune installed?

Thanks,
Pete

Sam pack in Carrollton wasn't competent enough to load my FRPP tune in my shelby and after three trips a burnt ECU and a flatbed trip after it wouldn't start I took it to Town east and they did it for me in 10 minutes and it was all good. They have a tech that only works on the shelbys, roush, saleen cars and he was coll about it and knew what he was doing.

Also the cost shouldnt matter to you or dont tune it. If your complaining about $200 to tune it think about the $7k motor behind it, if you think that FRPP "warranty" for procal is going to cover you, you may be surprised. They would probably still fight you over a blown motor and the procal tune is a waste of money for the results.

Varilux
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Also the cost shouldnt matter to you or dont tune it. If your complaining about $200 to tune it think about the $7k motor behind it.
Thanks for the info. If $110-180 is the going rate, that is fine... it just seems I see a lot of people indicating they paid $32-50 for their dealer to do the tune.

Not sure I understand the whole "if cost matters to you, you shouldn't tune it" philosophy. Unless one has unlimited funds (which is not my situation), its always prudent to do a bit of research on what things cost (balanced against being "penny wise and pound foolish"). I will be paying a dealer to install the tune- I just wanted to ensure my dealer isn't charging a lot more than the average. If cost mattered that much to me, I'd be driving a (ugh) Honda Accord!

If you think that FRPP "warranty" for procal is going to cover you, you may be surprised.
Well, before slapping a tune on a $7k motor with under 2k miles on the odometer, I have done just a bit of research. The Ford Racing tune is very safe (because it is by no definition an aggressive tune), there are virtually zero records of issues created by the tune, and- having read the warranty statement- I think one would have a pretty good case if all the recommended maintenance was followed and the only modification made was having a Ford Racing tune which was installed by an authorized Ford dealer if engine issues do occur.

The procal tune is a waste of money for the results.
On the contrary, I think its a bargain for what I want to accomplish. The only part of the cars performance I find disappointing is low end torque and quirky throttle response (which is exactly what this tune addresses according to dozens of post-install posts on various forums). Also, I'd like a moderately more aggressive sounding exhaust- and the GT500 mufflers seem to fit that bill as well.

Still to each his own, and I do appreciate the input on Town East!

re-rx7
06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
I know a place that wouldnt charge you much. But its a hr or so from you.

Varilux
06-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I know a place that wouldnt charge you much. But its a hr or so from you.
Thanks! I will eventually be taking a trip over towards Ft. Worth to have stripes installed at Big Worm Graphics- so if this dealer is over in the Ft. Worth area, I could possibly combine the trip.

Otherwise, now that Plasman has indicated most of the dealers charge the same amount in this immediate area, I won't cringe when I pay my dealer when I have them load the tune. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to the only dealer around here who charges over $100 for a 20 minute job!

Sam Pack in Carrollton wasn't competent enough to load my FRPP tune in my shelby and after three trips a burnt ECU and a flatbed trip after it wouldn't start I took it to Town east and they did it for me in 10 minutes and it was all good.
I will never visit Sam Pack in Carrollton again. I asked about a Boss 302 they had (and still have 2 months later) on the lot, and their sales approach was just silly (insulting isn't the right word, because it was too funny to be insulting). At one point, they tried talking me out of the GT I had ordered because the "glass roof makes the car unbearably hot here in Texas... we had one once and had to keep it in the showroom because of the heat."

46Tbird
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't believe just any Ford dealership can do the Procal install. Call ahead and make sure they have a certified tech that can do it. Last I heard the only dealership in the metroplex doing them was Southwest Ford in Weatherford. That could be pure bullshit though, but I would definitely call before making an appointment.

Luke
06-14-2013, 03:10 PM
That's not just Sam Pack's, a lot of salesman are idiots and don't know how to sell a car. It's refreshing (and seemingly rare) to talk to one that actually knows the vehicles they are trying to sell. I almost feel bad for people buying cars that don't do the research prior to showing up.

Varilux
06-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I almost feel bad for people buying cars that don't do the research prior to showing up.
Believe it or not, at 3 of the 4 dealerships I visited when I asked them if they had any idea of what was in store for the 2015 Mustang / 50th Anniversary, they didn't even seem to realize a new generation was being introduced next year! TWO of them actually said "Oh, I've heard it just going to be a anniversary badge or graphics package." A few years back I test drove a GT and the salesguy referred to the "power of the 5.0" (this was in a 4.6L GT)...

One of the salesmen at Sam Pack in Lewisville (Reto) clearly knew his Mustangs. It was a pleasure dealing with him during the purchase of my '14.

If I were in sales for a living- and only had 5 or 6 products to learn- I would certainly do my best to be an expert on them. The typical Ford salesperson doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the cars in the Ford line-up!

I don't believe just any Ford dealership can do the Procal install. Call ahead and make sure they have a certified tech that can do it.
I asked one of the techs at Sam Pack Lewisville if they were able to install the Procal, and he indicated they had done several- including a GT owned by one of the techs. I just didn't think to ask the tech I am working with on my windshield issue about the fee for the install until yesterday (he said he didn't know much about the Procal, but they'd probably charge $110-180).

re-rx7
06-14-2013, 05:47 PM
This one is in Sherman,Tx my dad is the mgr there and Im sure he can get it done. They work on mine and I have the bama tunes.