PDA

View Full Version : cat less

fordplay
06-14-2013, 07:18 AM
OK who has removed their cats here? Question, when you go for inspection do you have to put your cats back on or do they just plug in the obd2 ?

Luke
06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
The tune will take care of the light and obd2, but if they physically look you will fail. Worst case, if you go in and fail and they charge you, you can throw them back on and don't have to pay again as long as it's within 15 days.

fordplay
06-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Boo.. but has anyone been busted by this? They don't use a sniffer right?

01BeansGt
06-14-2013, 04:17 PM
The tune will take care of the light and obd2, but if they physically look you will fail. Worst case, if you go in and fail and they charge you, you can throw them back on and don't have to pay again as long as it's within 15 days.
This^
Boo.. but has anyone been busted by this? They don't use a sniffer right?
Anything from 89 to 95 they use the sniffer. 96 and up just the ob2.

Oxford14Stang
06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
All information above is correct. I'm a state inspector and we are suppose to check for cats during our inspection. Given there are plently of shops that do not do their job and check for them. As long as no check engine light is on I'd sy your nearly 80% in the will pass and maybe 20% that an actual inspector would check and fail you.

JDMLOL
06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors. You can have one "not ready" and still pass. It's funny, ive heard these cars will pass a sniffer even without cats. Ive never had anyone do a visual on my inspections, I usually sit out and watch. Not to say they arent supposed to look underneath....

slim87gt
06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors. You can have one "not ready" and still pass. It's funny, ive heard these cars will pass a sniffer even without cats. Ive never had anyone do a visual on my inspections, I usually sit out and watch. Not to say they arent supposed to look underneath....

True True. If you have an offroad on the 2005 and up it will not pass inspection visually or by the OBD2
Besides the cats dont rob that much power

svt-eric
06-14-2013, 06:57 PM
no cats on my cobra. just got my inspection done a couple weeks ago and it passed.

Dan12GT
06-14-2013, 07:06 PM
You will indeed pass if its tuned for it. I have had issues with my previous mustang where I took it in and they knew it had exhaust and put it on the drive on lift to check. That only happened one time though. Most like mentioned earlier will not bother to check if the light isn't on.

Selcouth
06-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Simple way around that. Purchase a catalytic converter that has a straight pipe running through it. ;)
Has the looks of a catalytic converter, but its technically not.

Luke
06-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Besides the cats dont rob that much power

15rwhp is what vendors are claiming for o/r pipes, even if that's a little on the high side that's cheap horsepower.

04sleeper
06-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors.
Not if you know what you are doing. :emotions33:

JDMLOL
06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Simple way around that. Purchase a catalytic converter that has a straight pipe running through it. ;)
Has the looks of a catalytic converter, but its technically not.

This.

You could always fab up some heat shields or run gutted ones.

fordplay
06-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Svt performance actually did a test on the 2011 gt and 19 horse is gained on the dyno by killing the cats.. I'm sorry the the best bang for the buck there is. Wait I just looked that's 19 with an X pipe the H pipe is 3 less.. still a bargain ... all I need is a take off set of gt500 mufflers.. someone can have my flow master axle back as trade!! Ha ha

Smurf50
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
All information above is correct. I'm a state inspector and we are suppose to check for cats during our inspection. Given there are plently of shops that do not do their job and check for them. As long as no check engine light is on I'd sy your nearly 80% in the will pass and maybe 20% that an actual inspector would check and fail you.

From many years of car modding and inspection experience, this is correct. There are also certain times that you can go in where they are less apt to check under the car than others (specifically when the managers aren't standing over them because they are busy).

This is why I am considering getting the high-flow catted X-pipe for my car when I do headers. There shouldn't be THAT much of a loss compared to catless, and no inspection worries.

Smurf50
06-19-2013, 10:10 AM
This.

You could always fab up some heat shields or run gutted ones.

You can find shops that will gladly do this for you, especially if they have cars in local drag racing competitions ;)

Boomer
06-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I ran an offroad h pipe setup on my 2010. I did the oldschool non-fouler setup but slightly modded in order to get the sensor properly positioned with just enough exhaust flowing over it so that the computer still read as if there were cats. Worked great and passed inspection no problem.

zemog255
06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Not if you know what you are doing. :emotions33:

Is SCT capeable of it on these cars? I know with hp tuners you could do it on chevy's. I didn't know you could tune it out on these cars or do you have a different way of doing it?

fordplay
06-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Yep, when you order your tune they should ask you , if not then just ask them to turn off the rear o2 sensors

Dan12GT
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Speaking of catless, anybody ever dealt with cat delete pipes? I've heard some have had fitment issues.

zemog255
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Yep, when you order your tune they should ask you , if not then just ask them to turn off the rear o2 sensors
I know you can turn off the rear o2's but come inspection time the system will show not ready. There is a way to get around that on the Ls cars with hptuners but I had not heard of it with the 5.0's and SCT yet.
Speaking of catless, anybody ever dealt with cat delete pipes? I've heard some have had fitment issues.

Don't get the bbk's. I bought them and the coupling was too big so they leaked. If you don't mind welding them its not a big deal. I haven't heard of any complaints with the jegs cat deletes.

fordplay
06-24-2013, 07:27 AM
The system shows not ready only if you recently tuned it and there are not enough hours of run time, that's to prevent you from turning off a code then heading to inspection, as for the pipes, I've heard good things about jegs also

FiveLeeter
06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Buy the BBK h-pipe and cat deletes. When it comes time for inspection, put your cats back on.

Smurf50
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I know you can turn off the rear o2's but come inspection time the system will show not ready. There is a way to get around that on the Ls cars with hptuners but I had not heard of it with the 5.0's and SCT yet.

Don't get the bbk's. I bought them and the coupling was too big so they leaked. If you don't mind welding them its not a big deal. I haven't heard of any complaints with the jegs cat deletes.

On the LSx based cars it was simple, O2 Sims which were basically just a resistor attached to the connector end of the O2 sensor that you plugged in and zip tied out of the way :)

I am still trying to find a way to run catless on my 5.0 and not have to worry about inspection shit. It got REALLY expensive on my Trans Am once I did enough work that they KNEW it was catless without codes thrown or visual :(

JDMLOL
06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
According to my scanner, my o2 sensors and heater show not ready and I've been running this tune for several weeks and at least 500+ miles. Does it depend on the tune?

Stangmaster281
06-25-2013, 09:05 PM

I have been doing some research on cat deletes and have read numerous times that bbk's have fitment issues. Now I have heard good things about steeda's cat deletes. Plus they come with "O2 sensor provisions", whatever that means. Pretty good price too for a 11-14 rwhp increase. Here is the link http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-2011-up-mustang-cat-delete-pipes.html When or if I get a 5.0 I'd definitely purchase these bad boys.

fordplay
06-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Hmmm it might depend on the tune... I know many guys running cat less that showed me, no cats, no codes, and just inspected, and I called bama and they told me no problem unless they look under the car, it will pass inspection

GTOphil
04-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Where would you buy high flow cats that have pipes through them?

Klownz
04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Just drive it with an expired sticker....with all that power gain you can outrun them..lmao

jmac81
04-23-2014, 03:16 PM

I bought the jeg's cat deletes. Bolted in easy and no leaks. even after i heat cycled them a bunch and rechecked the bolts. still no leaks.

fordplay
04-24-2014, 07:10 AM
This is an old thread brought back to life. I've had zero issues with my jegs deletes