PDA

View Full Version : Autocross July 14th - Mineral Wells

brtnstrns
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Just registered for the AutoX out in Mineral Wells on July 14th. It'll be my first autocross and my first experience giving my Mach a beating and getting a chance to test out the built up IRS! Anyone else gonna be going? I'll be running my normal staggered Nitto 555's coupled with my lack of driving experience so I don't expect to do too well (plus my car will be classed with some high performance cars since almost nothing on the car is stock) . But I'm pretty freakin excited about it. So who wants to join me? :D

Luke
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a good time but I'll be getting drunk in a tube that weekend!

brtnstrns
06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a good time but I'll be getting drunk in a tube that weekend!

Nice. That's obviously acceptable. Looking at the rules, it looks like I'll be placed in SM class...not 100% sure what that means but seeing that it's at the end of the list, I'm pretty sure I'm F'd

DirtyD
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Dang, I think that's the weekend I go to Garner with the family....dammit.

03MachMe
06-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Have fun! I wish I could make it but it's a week before I switch to Sundays off. Just worry about improving your times and run in the novice SM class. Get some video!

brtnstrns
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Have fun! I wish I could make it but it's a week before I switch to Sundays off. Just worry about improving your times and run in the novice SM class. Get some video!

I'm sure I will! Wish I had a gopro. May just have the wife use my camera to take some video from the sidelines.

brtnstrns
06-12-2013, 11:48 AM
How much tire tread can I expect to blow through during this? I've got the typical Nitto 555

rriddle3
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Nice. That's obviously acceptable. Looking at the rules, it looks like I'll be placed in SM class...not 100% sure what that means ...
It means you have to wear leathers and be prepared to have your ass whipped...oh, wait...SM, not S&M...sorry.:emotions33:

DirtyD
06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Not a lot unless you drifting donuts around every cone

brtnstrns
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
It means you have to wear leathers and be prepared to have your ass whipped...oh, wait...SM, not S&M...sorry.:emotions33:

I have a feeling it may be pretty similar...

Not a lot unless you drifting donuts around every cone

Sweet. As fun as that sounds, I'm going to try not to.

03MachMe
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
I have the same tires and didn't wear through that much. They are not the best for grip tho

DirtyD
06-12-2013, 01:23 PM
I wonder what the average thread usage is on the typical summer tire during autox. I don't want to partake in these events only to replace my tires next year. :/

03MachMe
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Can't worry about stuff like that if you are going to enjoy these cars. They have 400hp, they will eat up tires, esp if you drive them how they are ment to be driven

DirtyD
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Can't worry about stuff like that if you are going to enjoy these cars. They have 400hp, they will eat up tires, esp if you drive them how they are ment to be driven
Yeah, but I don't want to burn through $1500 in a year....

brtnstrns
06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
I have the same tires and didn't wear through that much. They are not the best for grip tho

Yeah I figured as much.

brtnstrns
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Well, less than one week away.

From looking over the entry list, looks like I'm the only Mustang that's going to be there. Hate to be a novice representing the Mustang community but maybe I'll surprise myself and some others and do well! Or I'll be so damned nervous I'll hit half the cones. But man I am looking forward to putting this IRS through it's paces.

03MachMe
07-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Well, less than one week away.

From looking over the entry list, looks like I'm the only Mustang that's going to be there. Hate to be a novice representing the Mustang community but maybe I'll surprise myself and some others and do well! Or I'll be so damned nervous I'll hit half the cones. But man I am looking forward to putting this IRS through it's paces.

Just go have fun. The hardest part is making sure you don't mess up the route. I DQed my first two because I took a slalom the wrong way. I will make it to either the Aug or sep event and hope to get a few of us to go. Try riding with someone that is experienced and that will help a lot also make sure traction control is off lol

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I hope to hit up one of these events in the fall when it starts cooling off. I just don't want to beat on the car tempting fate in this heat. It looks like a lot of fun though.

03MachMe
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I hope to hit up one of these events in the fall when it starts cooling off. I just don't want to beat on the car tempting fate in this heat. It looks like a lot of fun though.

What are you worried about? The runs are less than a minute. Then about 20 min till you run again anther 20 min then your 3rd run. Then like 2hrs before another set of 3

Grandpa
07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
What are you worried about? The runs are less than a minute. Then about 20 min till you run again anther 20 min then your 3rd run. Then like 2hrs before another set of 3

Afraid of breaking the car. Can't risk breaking it spending unnecessary money for awhile.

brtnstrns
07-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Just go have fun. The hardest part is making sure you don't mess up the route. I DQed my first two because I took a slalom the wrong way. I will make it to either the Aug or sep event and hope to get a few of us to go. Try riding with someone that is experienced and that will help a lot also make sure traction control is off lol

Yeah, I won't be surprised if I go the wrong way, even watching some videos that shit looks confusing. But I'm gonna try to catch a ride with someone beforehand. Having a big group out there would be awesome and yeah, I'll try to remember turning TC off...I hate the feeling of it getting tripped

Haha, yeah I'm a little scared of if something breaks being all the way over in Mineral Wells...that would suck. But I'm thinking it should be fine since the whole point is for the driving to be as safe as possible.

Even better, the previous owner of my car was a drag racer so he had a switch installed to turn on the radiator fan while the key is on "accessory". That with the electric water pump, I should be able to cool down my car in about 20 minutes. Well...theoretically.

saunupe1911
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I just registered my car but I haven't finalized registration. I need to be sure my 295/35/20 Nitto Invo are on the car , which they should be, before I submit the cash. Will also be grabbing a helmet before the end of week.

Everything else is prepped. StopTechs are less than 4 months old, fresh Amsoil Signature 5W-30, fresh tires should be on, and the wife will be out of town. It's going down!!!

brtnstrns
07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I just registered my car but I haven't finalized registration. I need to be sure my 295/35/20 Nitto Invo are on the car , which they should be, before I submit the cash. Will also be grabbing a helmet before the end of week.

Everything else is prepped. StopTechs are less than 4 months old, fresh Amsoil Signature 5W-30, fresh tires should be on, and the wife will be out of town. It's going down!!!

Awesome! I don't have a helmet so I'm counting on one being there that I can borrow. Look forward to seeing you there. Will it be your first time or have you done it before?

saunupe1911
07-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Awesome! I don't have a helmet so I'm counting on one being there that I can borrow. Look forward to seeing you there. Will it be your first time or have you done it before?

It will be my first time. I'm in the Novice, Street Modified (SM) class as well. Hopefully I don't rip through a cone. I know one thing...I've looked at the entry lists of numerous local AutoX events and there's 1 maybe 2 Camaros max. I'm pretty sure they can't see crap.

saunupe1911
07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I also plan to get the pretty early to prep the front bumper with painters tape for extra protection. I'm not driving across the metroplex with that crap on my car lol.

brtnstrns
07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I also plan to get the pretty early to prep the front bumper with painters tape for extra protection. I'm not driving across the metroplex with that crap on my car lol.

Yeah, I notice a lot of people do that but I don't know if I really feel like taking all the time to do that. I feel like there's a better chance of screwing up the front end driving behind 18-wheelers than going around the course. Guess we'll see. I don't know what class I'm in. As far from stock as my car is, I'm pretty sure it'll be in the higher classes which should be funny.

03MachMe
07-08-2013, 06:01 PM

There is no need for that in autocross because there is only one car on the track at a time. You will never be close enough to another car to have rocks thrown at your front bumper.

03MachMe
07-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I notice a lot of people do that but I don't know if I really feel like taking all the time to do that. I feel like there's a better chance of screwing up the front end driving behind 18-wheelers than going around the course. Guess we'll see. I don't know what class I'm in. As far from stock as my car is, I'm pretty sure it'll be in the higher classes which should be funny.

You will be novice street modified as well. Don't worry about the other cars in your class you will be competing with the other novice drivers. Mostly just try and beat your last time every time out

brtnstrns
07-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I just realized something...my driver side window doesn't roll down right now. Does that mean I'm not going to be able to run? I know these sort of events usually require you to have your windows down...

03MachMe
07-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Don't think so. Lots of ppl had them up I think. I don't remember them making sure my windows worked

brtnstrns
07-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I emailed them and the guy said it should be no problem.

Took apart the door panel today and it looks like a huge paint to replace the window motor...guess I'll worry about it later. Right now I gotta worry about the fact that I pretty much have no positive caster in my alignment...

So, did anyone else end up registering? Should be nice and hot tomorrow...

03MachMe
07-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Yea won't take much to heat the tires up. As for the camber thing I wish I could help ya. If I was there I might be able to look at it but hard to do when not looking at anything

saunupe1911
07-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Forecasts are showing that its supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

brtnstrns
07-14-2013, 08:52 AM
...or not

I know the events run in rain or shine and its good to experience it in the rain, but with a fender mounted CAI and no fender liners, I had to bail out about 30 minutes into my way out there. My car misfires like it's nobody's business in the rain and it just wasn't worth the risk to go all the way out there and damage my engine or get trapped in mineral wells.

Needless to say I'm fuckin pissed. I'll be ordering a RAI today So I don't have to worry about this shit again and hopefully make it to the one in August. Oh well. :(

saunupe1911
07-14-2013, 10:45 AM
...or not

I know the events run in rain or shine and its good to experience it in the rain, but with a fender mounted CAI and no fender liners, I had to bail out about 30 minutes into my way out there. My car misfires like it's nobody's business in the rain and it just wasn't worth the risk to go all the way out there and damage my engine or get trapped in mineral wells.

Needless to say I'm fuckin pissed. I'll be ordering a RAI today So I don't have to worry about this shit again and hopefully make it to the one in August. Oh well. :(

Man I went bought snell dot approved HJC CL16 helmet from Bates Discount Cycle. Then I said to myself let me check this weather before I totally commit to the event. 50% chance...damn! Well at least I finally got a helmet than can be used at all future events. Man I wish ECR would have another open event at reasonable price. And hopefully the next AutoX event in August will be dry

03MachMe
07-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Yea that's some shit luck. If I can get a new panhard bar I'm going to try and make the Aug one. Hopefully I'll see you put there.

JDBishopArts
07-14-2013, 12:01 PM
BMR! It's cheap and will get to you asap and we can put it in next week when we do my Konis :)