PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers vs anything else

GTRacerX
06-09-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm not the biggest suspension wiz kid so someone please educate me on the differences and pros and cons.

Midnight11
06-09-2013, 11:48 PM
coilovers are fully adjustable and you can go as low as you want...

GTRacerX
06-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Ok I thought that's what the difference was just didn't know if there was any more to it than that. Particular brand that is better than another?

Midnight11
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
i have d2 coilovers and they arent bad not as high end as you can go. there are bc coilovers, eibach, tien and many others. just matters what your budget is

JDBishopArts
06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
coilovers if you're going to race a lot. Springs/adj shocks if it's more a daily.

GTRacerX
06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
i have d2 coilovers and they arent bad not as high end as you can go. there are bc coilovers, eibach, tien and many others. just matters what your budget is

Good to know thank you

coilovers if you're going to race a lot. Springs/adj shocks if it's more a daily.

Car is my daily but I do like to race it from time to time...

jayman33
06-10-2013, 08:14 PM
What are your goals? Is height adjustability important to you? I did an install on some BC coilovers with swift springs and can say they road pretty damn good. We run ground control coilovers on our 13 Boss and have been impressed with the performance and quality. If adjusting height isn't that important to you a good set of adjustable struts and shocks will do just fine.

GTRacerX
06-11-2013, 12:00 AM
What are your goals? Is height adjustability important to you? I did an install on some BC coilovers with swift springs and can say they road pretty damn good. We run ground control coilovers on our 13 Boss and have been impressed with the performance and quality. If adjusting height isn't that important to you a good set of adjustable struts and shocks will do just fine.

Well I won't be road racing or anything like that with the car. Maybe some drag racing every now and then. Really just want to be able to lower the car the amount that I think looks right for the car. I intend on putting 20s on the car at some point with some larger tires out back 295 or 305 and I just want it to look flush as opposed to the 4x4 look mustangs always seem to come with.

merlinmol
06-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Coilover's aren't just for road racing, they are extremely comfortable for daily use as well. Granted they are more expensive, but everyone comments on how comfortable my car is to ride in. I am running BC Racing coilovers. If you are going to go with the standard shock/spring setup I don't have any personal recommendations other than getting adjustable shocks so you can keep the ride soft.

jayman33
06-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Coilover's aren't the best for drag racing due to the higher spring rates.

46Tbird
06-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Well I won't be road racing or anything like that with the car. Maybe some drag racing every now and then. Really just want to be able to lower the car the amount that I think looks right for the car. I intend on putting 20s on the car at some point with some larger tires out back 295 or 305 and I just want it to look flush as opposed to the 4x4 look mustangs always seem to come with.

Entry level coilovers are not that much more expensive than a set of name-brand springs and adjustable shocks/struts. Coilovers are great, but they aren't really necessary for the goals you've lined out here, unless you're wanting to super-slam your ride for looks. IMO, coilovers are a road race thing, or a 'stance' thing. If you're just going to drive it on the street and drag race it some, they are overkill.

As for adjusting height, you won't be doing that very often unless you want to get under it all the time, and don't mind getting it aligned after every adjustment.

GTRacerX
06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Entry level coilovers are not that much more expensive than a set of name-brand springs and adjustable shocks/struts. Coilovers are great, but they aren't really necessary for the goals you've lined out here, unless you're wanting to super-slam your ride for looks. IMO, coilovers are a road race thing, or a 'stance' thing. If you're just going to drive it on the street and drag race it some, they are overkill.

As for adjusting height, you won't be doing that very often unless you want to get under it all the time, and don't mind getting it aligned after every adjustment.

Good to know with that said I will probably forgo the coilovers and go with some lowering springs.

JDBishopArts
06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Good plan.

Jucostud
06-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I will never buy a spring/strut combo again. I love my coilovers. The ride is better, and i never have to worry if a tire will fit because i can always change ride height with the turn of a spanner nut.

re-rx7
06-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Gd post. Also most coilovers are the same up to about $1500 dollars or so. Crap is putting it the best way. The damping is all over the place and the spring rates usually follow suit. Id say get a set of Koni's and Eibach/H&r and call it a day.

ThatImpact
06-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Coil overs are expensive but I guess if you had the money go for it