PDA

View Full Version : dynoing the car today

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Getting her dynoed to get baseline numbers before the CAI & tune arrive tomorrow. Right now it has magna flow axle back and replaced stock 3.31 gears for 3.55s. Neither of which should make any differences if at all. Any guesses of the numbers?

46Tbird
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
377/360

03MachMe
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Auto or stick and where you dynoing

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Auto or stick and where you dynoing

Stick, dynoing at Gear heads performance in Arlington. Your numbers in your signature, were those stock?

BLK2012GT
06-06-2013, 12:02 PM
370/370

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
With the humidity and heat this morning, your STD will be around 380/370 +/- 5 for both

SAE numbers will be corrected to around 375/365 +/- 5

My dyno numbers in my sig were only GT500 ABs and 3.55s. You should be pretty damn close to what I made.

BLK2012GT
06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
With the humidity and heat this morning, your STD will be around 370/360 +/- 5 for both

My dyno numbers in my sig were only GT500 ABs and 3.55s. You should be pretty damn close to what I made.

SAE numbers are always lower then STD numbers.

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
SAE numbers are always lower then STD numbers.
Nevermind, you are correct. I was thinking unfactored. My bad.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
With the humidity and heat this morning, your STD will be around 380/370 +/- 5 for both

Let's hope so

Midnight11
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
386/380

Phuck Phace
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM

03MachMe
06-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Stick, dynoing at Gear heads performance in Arlington. Your numbers in your signature, were those stock?

Yep only mod was gt500 axle backs.

I say 383/379

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 02:31 PM
So what's the verdict?

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Well the results are in. 358hp, 338tq with 74 degrees outside And 70% humidity -- must add that's just with 3.55 gears and magna flow axle back .. CAI & Tune will arrive and be put on the car tomorrow.

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 02:35 PM

What is with your obsession with the settings on the numbers? I don't get it. The only numbers that matter are on the track. Dyno numbers do not equate performance numbers, it's simply peak numbers. The dyno is only a tool to tune a car not measure performance. I don't get this younger generations obsession with peak numbers. :banghead:

03MachMe
06-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Well the results are in. 358hp, 338tq with 74 degrees outside And 70% humidity -- must add that's just with 3.55 gears and magna flow axle back .. CAI & Tune will arrive and be put on the car tomorrow.

? That seems a little low imo but I agree with Steve dyno numbers don't really matter

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Dang, those are almost numbers from an Auto. Did they give you a print out of the dyno graph? Wonder what type of dyno it is.

What is with your obsession with the settings on the numbers? I don't get it. The only numbers that matter are on the track. Dyno numbers do not equate performance numbers, it's simply peak numbers. The dyno is only a tool to tune a car not measure performance. I don't get this younger generations obsession with peak numbers. :banghead:

All I did was just give him an estimate in both corrected forms. That's all. He asked about PEAK numbers, I answered his question. I know the track is where you put those numbers to the test, troll.

I don't get why you get so damn uptight about it. :shrug:

Courtesy Flush
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
My auto 12 did 371/334 locked in 3rd gear.
Hopefully you dynoed in 5th with the 6MT.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Dang, those are almost numbers from an Auto. Did they give you a print out of the dyno graph? Wonder what type of dyno it is.

I have the graph, was a dyno jet. The guy dynoing the car, said it was the humidity that killed the numbers. Just a poor day to dyno.

All I did was just give him an estimate in both corrected forms. That's all. He asked about PEAK numbers, I answered his question. I know the track is where you put those numbers to the test, troll.

My auto 12 did 371/334 locked in 3rd gear.
Hopefully you dynoed in 5th with the 6MT.

Your auto put some impressive numbers down. To be honest with you ur was a younger guy dynoing the car I heard 1-2nd shift and one more after that and exhaust note got deep but not sure if it was 4th or 5th gear. I hope it was 5th as its 1:1

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 03:11 PM

I'm not uptight about it, you arguement just doesn't make any sense. Grilling someone over STD or SAE doesn't really matter. Depending on the air, temp, humidity or whatever else those numbers are nullified on any given day. Manual or auto, big convertor/small convertor etc. There is so many ways that can be manipulated it's crazy.

What matters is performance and having all the parts in a set up that work together in a efficient manner. A car make numbers to the moon, but it doesn't use them with the proper powerband, gearing etc for how it's intended on being used, then the numbers are useless.

How many times have you seen a car make really low numbers, but down some crazy ET times at the track? It's because the combo works together.

The same can be said for some high number dyno queens - why is it they can spin the rollers to a crazy number, but yet they get out on the street and get drug dirty by cars making much less? Because the setup doesn't work.

That is the point I'm making to you. The ONLY numbers that matter on a dyno is the A/F while tuning.

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm not uptight about it, you arguement just doesn't make any sense. Grilling someone over STD or SAE doesn't really matter. Depending on the air, temp, humidity or whatever else those numbers are nullified on any given day. Manual or auto, big convertor/small convertor etc. There is so many ways that can be manipulated it's crazy.

What matters is performance and having all the parts in a set up that work together in a efficient manner. A car make numbers to the moon, but it doesn't use them with the proper powerband, gearing etc for how it's intended on being used, then the numbers are useless.

How many times have you seen a car make really low numbers, but down some crazy ET times at the track? It's because the combo works together.

The same can be said for some high number dyno queens - why is it they can spin the rollers to a crazy number, but yet they get out on the street and get drug dirty by cars making much less? Because the setup doesn't work.

That is the point I'm making to you. The ONLY numbers that matter on a dyno is the A/F while tuning.
Dude, what fucking argument are you talking about? I simple typed my guesses to his dyno numbers. Who gives a flying shit if I put down both STD and SAE? I wasn't grilling anyone. I'm over that fucking shit from the other day. But obvious you aren't because you bring it up every god damn chance you get. It's getting really fucking old.

Luke
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I think he's fucking with you again...

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Dude, what fucking argument are you talking about? I simple typed my guesses to his dyno numbers. Who gives a flying shit if I put down both STD and SAE? I wasn't grilling anyone. I'm over that fucking shit from the other day. But obvious you aren't because you bring it up every god damn chance you get. It's getting really fucking old.

Dude, relax. Holy kneejerk reaction, Batman. lol.

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm not in the best mood right now because I'm having to deal with dipshit people at work, so I'm just worked up.

Sorry to derail the thread. You can clean it up if you want.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Its all okay guys... let's just relax we are all here for shits and fun. I'll be out at the track(northstar dragway) tomorrow with rebelracer568 if it doesn't rain. It will be my first time ever going down a drag strip, and off a tree. Wish me luck, any guesses on what I'll run? --- will be still only with magna flow axle back and 3.55 gears (will put CAI & tune on after)

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm not in the best mood right now because I'm having to deal with dipshit people at work, so I'm just worked up.

Sorry to derail the thread. You can clean it up if you want.

Hope ur day gets better! :)

thelandshark
06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
With ur gt 5 driveing skills I'll say 10.2 in the 8th

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
With ur gt 5 driveing skills I'll say 10.2 in the 8th

What a dick.

thelandshark
06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Came up with thouse numbers cause he can't hit 3rd to save his life

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Came up with thouse numbers cause he can't hit 3rd to save his life

At least I drive a car that I can miss 3rd :) and.. in my defence its only with you bastards in the car lol

thelandshark
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Lol. My auto is almost fool proof and shifts faster than u buddy

re-rx7
06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
My right hand is flawless as well.

Rebelracer568
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Ill be there in my race car at Northstar. Looks like ill have to drive your car to show you what it really can do ;-)

Luke
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
If you've never been down a strip, don't concern yourself with the lights, pay more attention to your RPMs and your launch, reaction time is something easy you can work on after you get the driving down. I'd focus on your 60' times, not sure what most guys are running here but I know 1.8x's are decent enough on street tires for the manual cars. Good luck and don't make us look bad!

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
From the looks of this weather you guys may need to start racing boats if this weather keeps up. lol.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
If you've never been down a strip, don't concern yourself with the lights, pay more attention to your RPMs and your launch, reaction time is something easy you can work on after you get the driving down. I'd focus on your 60' times, not sure what most guys are running here but I know 1.8x's are decent enough on street tires for the manual cars. Good luck and don't make us look bad!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll try my best!

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
From the looks of this weather you guys may need to start racing boats if this weather keeps up. lol.

Lol, sure seems like that doesn't it.

re-rx7
06-06-2013, 04:38 PM

1.8's on 235's?

Luke
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah, maybe that's the good drivers pulling that off, but 2.0 or slower is pretty terrible for a car with this much power. My auto even pulled a 1.94 60'

Courtesy Flush
06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Oxford,

Happen to get a graph or video of the dyno runs?

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Nitro boats FTW!

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Oxford,

Happen to get a graph or video of the dyno runs?

I've got the graph in the glove box and video on camera, will upload when I get home.

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

I agree and disagree with you. a dyno is like you said a Tool...

I guess its the bench racer in me, but you can take a car making 900 rwhp with a very peaky power band and a car with 900 rwhp with a HUGE powerband and the one car will walk away from the other. That's why normally a 600 rwhp nitrous car will pull on a 600 rwhp Blower car. Its all in the power band.

since I like to see the delta.. I normally dyno my car at the same place.. and use SAE numbers because they are normally Lower.. most of the guys using STD numbers are to over inflate their numbers... I couldn't give a fuck about setting a record.. I want to know where my powerband starts and stops.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah, maybe that's the good drivers pulling that off, but 2.0 or slower is pretty terrible for a car with this much power. My auto even pulled a 1.94 60'

Don't expect good times from me, will be my first time ever going down a track.

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I agree and disagree with you. a dyno is like you said a Tool...

I guess its the bench racer in me, but you can take a car making 900 rwhp with a very peaky power band and a car with 900 rwhp with a HUGE powerband and the one car will walk away from the other. That's why normally a 600 rwhp nitrous car will pull on a 600 rwhp Blower car. Its all in the power band.

since I like to see the delta.. I normally dyno my car at the same place.. and use SAE numbers because they are normally Lower.. most of the guys using STD numbers are to over inflate their numbers... I couldn't give a fuck about setting a record.. I want to know where my powerband starts and stops.

I agree. The area under the curve will tell you how your car is going to pull an where to shift.

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I agree. The area under the curve will tell you how your car is going to pull an where to shift.

but again.. its a tool.. I don't brag about dyno numbers.. hell I don't even like telling ppl the numbers.. but for example.. I dyno'ed all my blower combos on the same dyno. I have all my dyno files, so I could overlay them and see the exact power band difference between the old blower and the new one.

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
but again.. its a tool.. I don't brag about dyno numbers.. hell I don't even like telling ppl the numbers.. but for example.. I dyno'ed all my blower combos on the same dyno. I have all my dyno files, so I could overlay them and see the exact power band difference between the old blower and the new one.

Yup, I agree completely. Doing so allows you to tweak your set up and tune in a way that helps dialing in your car the correct way. Dyno numbers mean squat.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Alright guys... newbie question. I've got no idea what the best way to post a video on here would be. I'm thinking upload it to my youtube channel and post link? Or is there a way that I can post it on here directly from my computer? For now, I'll post dyno pics of the car strapped and graph. Thanks for any help/pointers.

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Alright guys... newbie question. I've got no idea what the best way to post a video on here would be. I'm thinking upload it to my youtube channel and post link? Or is there a way that I can post it on here directly from my computer? For now, I'll post dyno pics of the car strapped and graph. Thanks for any help/pointers.

Upload it on Youtube. Then use the Youtube tab above the box where you reply like so [YT] [ /YT].

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Upload it on Youtube. Then use the Youtube tab above the box where you reply like so [YT] [ /YT].

Okay, will that tab be on youtube next to the reply there, or the tab will be here on this site next to our reply tab? because I can't find it :-/

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynosheet1_zps5febf0cd.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynosheet1_zps5febf0cd.jpg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynosheet2_zps30a9aed2.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynosheet2_zps30a9aed2.jpg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynosheet3_zps45794fca.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynosheet3_zps45794fca.jpg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynopicfront_zps5ab40731.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynopicfront_zps5ab40731.jpg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynopicrearangle_zps05c85361.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynopicrearangle_zps05c85361.jpg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Chowpoi/1450dynopicrear_zpsf827123a.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Chowpoi/media/1450dynopicrear_zpsf827123a.jpg.html)

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Most prob 10-15 rwhp inflated because its in std

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Yes, that's what I figured it'd be. Don't know much about dynos.. this was my first time dynoing my car/any car. Just learning that's all but as it was mentioned before the SAE numbers would of been lower, and the STD numbers read high. I'm getting the hang of it. :)

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 07:05 PM
hmm.. give me a second to figure out how to get this video to post. If all else fails since I can't figure out this whole youtube tab thing I'll just post a link. I did however find the youtube tab, just no luck getting it to post the video on here.. just shows a link.

Selcouth
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM

I'll just leave this here.

:lol2:

The majority of members won't even be able to get into that thread, but I thought your comment was funny since you were posting dyno numbers on 5/23.

OP solid numbers to give you somewhat of a baseline. Now get your ass out to the track.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Okay, can't seem to figure it out, so like I said I'll just post the link to the youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--bA1fGtWBA

there it is, on the dyno.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM

The majority of members won't even be able to get into that thread, but I thought your comment was funny since you were posting dyno numbers on 5/23.

OP solid numbers to give you somewhat of a baseline. Now get your ass out to the track.

Yes sir! will be out on the track for the first time tomorrow up at North star dragway

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
He was giving Sam props, not braggin about numbers. If you know Dave thats not his style.

Selcouth
06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
He was giving Sam props, not braggin about numbers. If you know Dave thats not his style.

Holy fawk Steve you are losing your touch, I'm giving him shit. You playing boyfriend again? Maybe I should have asked him if he feels like he can keep up with a turbo Cavi wagon now, since he was having issues awhile back keeping up with Veg.

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM

I posted numbers to show the diff between the f1r and f1x and o give props to the builder/tuner.. Steve will tell you it is very rare for me to disclose numbers.. And you willl most likely not see my kill mode numbers :)

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Holy fawk Steve you are losing your touch, I'm giving him shit. You playing boyfriend again? Maybe I should have asked him if he feels like he can keep up with a turbo Cavi wagon now, since he was having issues awhile back keeping up with Veg.

I need 400-500 rwhp more to hang with veg.. That thing is an animal.. No corvette can keep up..

DirtyD
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I only heard him shift to 4th I think

I could tell he did start in 2nd

Grandpa
06-06-2013, 07:42 PM

LOL, calming down in my old age. My e*warrior days a long over with. I just want to have a good time with good people. :)

Selcouth
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I posted numbers to show the diff between the f1r and f1x and o give props to the builder/tuner.. Steve will tell you it is very rare for me to disclose numbers.. And you willl most likely not see my kill mode numbers :)
Admit it you are just a sandbagger at heart. You have reached a whole other level from the Supra.

I need 400-500 rwhp more to hang with veg.. That thing is an animal.. No corvette can keep up..
Do you know why that is? His car is whats left after a dragon and a unicorn fucked...........twice

LOL, calming down in my old age. My e*warrior days a long over with. I just want to have a good time with good people. :)
I've noticed you are a lot more tame these days. Nothing wrong with that. You seem very content in life. That's a good thing.

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Selcouth.. I dont recognize your nick.. Who are you?:)

Selcouth
06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Selcouth.. I dont recognize your nick.. Who are you?:)

I don't believe we have personally met. But I'm a whore when it comes to car forums. Back in the day when the charity races were going on I was on Team Yellow Devil where Ricky was the team leader.

I was also an avid street racer/spectator from back in the day. Every weekend and some week nights I'd go out to Regal Row, Cockrell Hill, Sweatheart, Newberry, Cali Crossing(always hated racing on that road), and many others. I was there when BB was shot from TSP. Years later I found out it was Alky running his 4 wheeler at the races, and then met a few other guys later in life at various meets like Circuit City in Plano, Kellers, RKC, etc. I've been around, but never have had anything fast people know me by. I just live vicariously through all you ballers.

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I only heard him shift to 4th I think

I could tell he did start in 2nd

It is difficult to hear, but I do believe he started in second. And I also too can hear the 4th gear shift. Just can't tell if he ever went to 5th. Would dynoing the car.in 4th hurt or help dyno numbers? Just curious

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 10:07 PM
aaah cool.. i was going to say:) most of the youngins dont remeber me smackin around the termies with my stock twins supra :) man the green machine was a fun car..

Oxford14Stang
06-06-2013, 10:14 PM
aaah cool.. i was going to say:) most of the youngins dont remeber me smackin around the termies with my stock twins supra :) man the green machine was a fun car..

You didn't happen to have ur supra back in 05' did yah? Reason I say my ex bro-inlaw had a silver 03 KB Cobra I remember him running one a lot like you described had I believe 400hp or so. Lost the race to the snake but were good runs. Ring any bells? (Cobra around the hurst-euless-bedford area

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
You didn't happen to have ur supra back in 05' did yah? Reason I say my ex bro-inlaw had a silver 03 KB Cobra I remember him running one a lot like you described had I believe 400hp or so. Lost the race to the snake but were good runs. Ring any bells? (Cobra around the hurst-euless-bedford area

I had mine from 02-06.. and never lost to a silver cobra so wasn't me.. most of the cobras I ran ended up confused when I popped the hood and there was no single under the hood... :)

this is my 442 rwhp supra Vs a 440 rwhp Firehawk..

7fxUI8GMwnM

here is some old school racing from back in the day :)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/supra-racing-a-bunch-of-cars_3539.htm

Smurf50
06-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I had mine from 02-06.. and never lost to a silver cobra so wasn't me.. most of the cobras I ran ended up confused when I popped the hood and there was no single under the hood... :)

this is my 442 rwhp supra Vs a 440 rwhp Firehawk..

7fxUI8GMwnM

here is some old school racing from back in the day :)

http://www.streetfire.net/video/supra-racing-a-bunch-of-cars_3539.htm

Man I miss your old cars Feldman, they were fun to watch :p And the stories on LS1/LS2 were great as well :D

White_lightning
06-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Sorry to the op... I hijacked your thread lol..

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 01:14 AM
No worries Jewbacca, nothing stays on track around here anyways. lol

Oxford14Stang
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Sorry to the op... I hijacked your thread lol..

Lol, its all good man. Its general discussion :)

White_lightning
06-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Lol, its all good man. Its general discussion :)

i'll admit im a bench racer.. I analyze and analyze the data im provided.. It works for me... some other ppl dont care about the dyno at all and just go to the track Which is awesome too. I'm not a track person so it means nothing to me.

here are a few standard things i like with the dyno.

Pick a place. And dyno your car there every time. some dynos vary up to 10%.. so a mod that might gain you 20-30 hp might show NO effect at all moving dyno to dyno.
Stick to SAE.. Some shops put the output in STD to boost number and "make the customer fell happier"..

here is an example.. with headers/CAI/tune my car made 431/421 Uncorrected.. SAE was 435/425 and STD was 445/434... 9 rwhp isnt really that much of a difference.. but on that day the 2 correction factors were CLOSE since as you can see the uncorrected was almost the same as SAE.

with the first blower and stock motor.. Uncorrected was 760/645.. SAE was 779/662 and STD was 794/675.

Another thing that i like to do is get the dyno files. bring a little flash drive with and have them copy the files over for you. I have almost every single dyno i have done on my car and it is usefull when comparing one mod to another.

again.... i have been acused of being a bench racer and a sandbagger, but clearly my tools are working for me :)

DirtyD
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
i'll admit im a bench racer.. I analyze and analyze the data im provided.. It works for me... some other ppl dont care about the dyno at all and just go to the track Which is awesome too. I'm not a track person so it means nothing to me.

here are a few standard things i like with the dyno.

Pick a place. And dyno your car there every time. some dynos vary up to 10%.. so a mod that might gain you 20-30 hp might show NO effect at all moving dyno to dyno.
Stick to SAE.. Some shops put the output in STD to boost number and "make the customer fell happier"..

here is an example.. with headers/CAI/tune my car made 431/421 Uncorrected.. SAE was 435/425 and STD was 445/434... 9 rwhp isnt really that much of a difference.. but on that day the 2 correction factors were CLOSE since as you can see the uncorrected was almost the same as SAE.

with the first blower and stock motor.. Uncorrected was 760/645.. SAE was 779/662 and STD was 794/675.

Another thing that i like to do is get the dyno files. bring a little flash drive with and have them copy the files over for you. I have almost every single dyno i have done on my car and it is usefull when comparing one mod to another.

again.... i have been acused of being a bench racer and a sandbagger, but clearly my tools are working for me :)
See, I'm not the only one. I know I haven't been around to know enough, but I can still work with the info I'm provided to come to a logical conclusion.

White_lightning
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
See, I'm not the only one. I know I haven't been around to know enough, but I can still work with the info I'm provided to come to a logical conclusion.

i like to compare the gearing to the powerband on the dyno to figure out where i need to shift.. i SUCK at the driving.. so i need to make sure i have as much information to help my decision on when to shift as possible lol

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 09:49 AM
i like to compare the gearing to the powerband on the dyno to figure out where i need to shift.. i SUCK at the driving.. so i need to make sure i have as much information to help my decision on when to shift as possible lol

When it stops pulling....shift! :D

White_lightning
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
When it stops pulling....shift! :D

works great.. EXCEPT then the car right next to you is still pulling:)

Oxford14Stang
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Alright, correction won't be able to take it to the track today. North star drag way has no street three tonight.. will go another time tho

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Remember back in the day when we had to actually do it all ourselves without a dyno and no one knew how much power they had?

A fuel pressure gauge, a timing light and a screwdriver is how it was done. lol

Luke
06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Remember back in the day when we had to actually do it all ourselves without a dyno and no one knew how much power they had?

A fuel pressure gauge, a timing light and a screwdriver is how it was done. lol

Whoa, dare I say it... a carburetor?

Rebelracer568
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Carbs are still fun. All my muscle cars and most races cars are all carb.

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Haha. That too. I remember tuning my very first blower car. Rolling down the road with a buddy holding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge in his hands with hoses running from under the hood, through the window while he watched them while I made pulls going down the road. I'd pull over, make adjustments to the timing and regulator and do more pulls until it stopped pickin up power. lol

Most of these young kids now don't know how to do squat to their own cars anymore that doesn't involve plastidip or switching a plastic bodypiece. lol.

DirtyD
06-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Haha. That too. I remember tuning my very first blower car. Rolling down the road with a buddy holding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge in his hands with hoses running from under the hood, through the window while he watched them while I made pulls going down the road. I'd pull over, make adjustments to the timing and regulator and do more pulls until it stopped pickin up power. lol

Most of these young kids now don't know how to do squat to their own cars anymore that doesn't involve plastidip or switching a plastic bodypiece. lol.

I'd like to learn how. My dad misses those days. We have tried multiple times to pick up a small project car, but with the distance between both of us right now, working on it alone for him wouldn't be as fun. He'd still enjoy it, but he knows I'd like to learn what he knew.

He could change the clutch in his old '69 Apache Chevy in about 45 mins while parked over a ditch. Haha

Luke
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM

:bowroflwerd6:

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I'd like to learn how. My dad misses those days. We have tried multiple times to pick up a small project car, but with the distance between both of us right now, working on it alone for him wouldn't be as fun. He'd still enjoy it, but he knows I'd like to learn what he knew.

He could change the clutch in his old '69 Apache Chevy in about 45 mins while parked over a ditch. Haha

Working on old iron is fun and a easy way to learn. You can learn the basics pretty easily putting stuff together and taking it apart. I'd suggest something like a aircooled VW. Simple, cheap, easy to work on and hard as hell to screw up. Parts are still plentiful engine wise.

There are a few rare young guys who have a ton of knowledge about old iron, like Danny (46tbird). That guy is wicked smart and really knows his stuff. If you can get passed is wannabe asshole persona, he's someone you can get a lot of great info from. :)

Luke
06-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Most of my carb dealings are with my lawn mower now, fuck that leaky piece of shit!

re-rx7
06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

So true. When I was 10 I rebuilt a old Holly Carb because my dad told me I needed to learn. :bowroflwerd6:

Rebelracer568
06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I built all my motors in my races cars and muscle cars. The 14 is the only car that hasn't gotten a built motor......yet. I'm one or the few young guys that grew up racing and buildings own cars. My dad said as I was growing up if I didn't wanna learn how to work on my cars he wouldn't teach. So I learned everything I can from him. Ill take a carb of fuel injection any day. Least I don't have to have a phd to figure out why my car not running right lol.

Oxford14Stang
06-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Not going to lie , if there isn't a OBD ll port I don't know anything about it. Would love to learn though

Slow Five-O
06-07-2013, 02:23 PM
All you need is a screw driver and a timing light!

03MachMe
06-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Says the guy who needed me to come over and install his axle back...

I have never built a motor but I am a quick learner and can follow instructions. I had never done much suspension till josh's but learned and now have done a few others and my own. Everything on the Mach and the 5.0 was done by me or I helped do it. And everything from here out will be the same, other than the tune. So I wouldn't say most of us "young" guys don't know anything but there are more than there should be.

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM

I have never built a motor but I am a quick learner and can follow instructions. I had never done much suspension till josh's but learned and now have done a few others and my own. Everything on the Mach and the 5.0 was done by me or I helped do it. And everything from here out will be the same, other than the tune. So I wouldn't say most of us "young" guys don't know anything but there are more than there should be.

LOL, there is nothing wrong with having someone show you do something who has done it before, saves time and frustration. I would figured it out, but it would have taken me longer and you offered to help out which I appreciate very much. Now I could do it easily thanks to your tips.:) My uncle gave me my first carb to rebuild. I messed with it for awhile with the rebuild kit and got a lil frustrated with it. I disassembled it and he showed me how to do it step by step. To this day, I can still do it with ease. I'm just a visual learner is all. :)

DirtyD
06-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Yup, there are. I will admit that I am not even an amateur at this stuff, but I can learn fast and figure it out. I learned a lot about F150s after meeting and hanging out with Patrick. Even though he is a LR certified ASE mech, he knows almost every square inch of every body style F150 after 1997. It was great learning and picking up stuff from him.

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Yup, there are. I will admit that I am not even an amateur at this stuff, but I can learn fast and figure it out. I learned a lot about F150s after meeting and hanging out with Patrick. Even though he is a LR certified ASE mech, he knows almost every square inch of every body style F150 after 1997. It was great learning and picking up stuff from him.

Best way to learn right there! :High 5:

DirtyD
06-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I will say that instructions aren't always best. There have been many instances where I had to just look at something to figure it out.

Case in point: IKEA furniture. :lol:

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I will say that instructions aren't always best. There have been many instances where I had to just look at something to figure it out.

Case in point: IKEA furniture. :lol:

LMAO! I can so relate to that but with baby furniture! haha.

When I was doing my research about the Paxton, one of the common complaints was about how bad the instructions were even after being revised several times. At several steps there is points where you would have to go back to undo something a previous step told you to in order to do the next step. So you waste a lot of time going back and forth touching the same parts repeatedly. With some research, you can get instructions from other owners to explain how to do them to save time and frustration.

I despise stuff like that!

03MachMe
06-07-2013, 03:16 PM
LOL, there is nothing wrong with having someone show you do something who has done it before, saves time and frustration. I would figured it out, but it would have taken me longer and you offered to help out which I appreciate very much. Now I could do it easily thanks to your tips.:) My uncle gave me my first carb to rebuild. I messed with it for awhile with the rebuild kit and got a lil frustrated with it. I disassembled it and he showed me how to do it step by step. To this day, I can still do it with ease. I'm just a visual learner is all. :)

Not saying anything wrong with me helping you just thought it was funny one of those "younger" guys helped you with something so simple. I agree def easier with someone who knows what they are doing, but sometimes even us youngins can figure stuff out

Grandpa
06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Not saying anything wrong with me helping you just thought it was funny one of those "younger" guys helped you with something so simple. I agree def easier with someone who knows what they are doing, but sometimes even us youngins can figure stuff out

If I offended you I apologize, but you and most of the guys here is not what I was thinking of when making that post. I was more thinking about the "other side of the parking lot" at say something like an RKC meet. lol.

03MachMe
06-07-2013, 03:25 PM
You didn't offend me I just wanted to point out a funny that's all. And I agree with you a lot of that crowd is nothing more than some hipsters that watched too much you tube growing up