PDA

View Full Version : More proof the 2015 Mustang will have an IRS

Tony@Latemodel
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
http://category-image-original.latemodelrestoration.com/2015-mustang-will-have-irs-more-proof_8784.jpg

2015 MUSTANG (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/2015-Mustang-News-Rumors) WILL HAVE IRS – MORE PROOF!!! (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/2015-Mustang-Will-Have-IRS-More-Proof)

I really hope Ford makes this change because I am a big fan of the independent rear suspension and in my mind the superior ride quality of the IRS over a straight axle more than makes up for any added weight. Some of you may have seen this on Jalopnik, if not, here it is.

Big thanks to Jalopnik.com for releasing these new 2015 Mustang (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/2015-Mustang-News-Rumors) “test mule” pictures. From the pictures you can clearly see the lower control arms of an IRS (independent rear suspension) system on this test Stang. You can also see the rear bumper has been cut/hacked up. It is safe to assume that this is to clear a redesigned exhaust system that has to be routed around the IRS system.

DirtyD
06-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I think they also may offer a dual tipped exhaust by the looks of the bumper cutting. Since so many 5.0 guys are installing the GT500 exhaust, it may become an appearance option.

46Tbird
06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Actually, the IRS is the only thing that we already knew 100% was going to be in the new car.

Not quite as certain (at least for the first year) are reports of a DI version of the 5.0 with 475hp.

DirtyD
06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Actually, the IRS is the only thing that we already knew 100% was going to be in the new car.

Not quite as certain (at least for the first year) are reports of a DI version of the 5.0 with 475hp.

That's what I've heard, but I'd believe 450 over 475.

03MachMe
06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I think they also may offer a dual tipped exhaust by the looks of the bumper cutting. Since so many 5.0 guys are installing the GT500 exhaust, it may become an appearance option.

That's more likely to fit the location of the exhaust tips that don't line up with the current body style.

Yep have heard the same. 475 for a base GT would be nuts, all the more reason people with a boss will trade up and I can snag one lol

475 is easily doable with DI. Its far more efficient.

Grandpa
06-05-2013, 03:05 PM

I'm sure a hefty price tag will come with that as well. The prices are quickly getting out of the every day Mustang guy's budget. Part of the appeal of the Mustang is that it was affordable performance for just about anyone. It's no longer the case. :(

Toby
06-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Lets hope they do a better job designing the IRS in this car then the 03-04 cobra mistake.

DirtyD
06-05-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm sure a hefty price tag will come with that as well. The prices are quickly getting out of the every day Mustang guy's budget. Part of the appeal of the Mustang is that it was affordable performance for just about anyone. It's no longer the case. :(
I completely agree. A lot of that is that fact Ford is taking steps in a new direction, and the value of the dollar too, since the value is so weak compared to other countries where the parts of produced...

DirtyD
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
That's more likely to fit the location of the exhaust tips that don't line up with the current body style.

Yep have heard the same. 475 for a base GT would be nuts, all the more reason people with a boss will trade up and I can snag one lol

475 is easily doable with DI. Its far more efficient.
Didn't realize it was that much more efficient.

As for the exhaust, it's already been said the body will be smaller, and chassis too, so I don't get why the exhaust would move out if the current body style is bigger....unless they were routed so roughly they came out at an angle.

Oxford14Stang
06-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Completely agree. They're already pushing it with the prices they want for a base model. I could only imagine what kind of money they'd be asking for a 5.0 pushing 475hp

Rebelracer568
06-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Price of base car will be easily close to 35k. Who can afford that as a first car. Wish ford will lower the price. Irs is cool 475 hp is awesome but the price will hurt it

Smurf50
06-05-2013, 04:40 PM

That's one of the reasons I didn't get a Camaro when I had the option to. I think they finally hit a sweet spot with the current 5.0's with solid power stock and not breaking the bank completely for the average man....and if you have the extra laying around you have the Boss and the GT500 to consider :p

rriddle3
06-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Looks to me like the rear track may have been widened.

Luke
06-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Price of base car will be easily close to 35k. Who can afford that as a first car. Wish ford will lower the price. Irs is cool 475 hp is awesome but the price will hurt it

If the price is that high they will lose a lot of sales, that's nearly 10k more than now. I'm sure there will be a bump on the price tag, I just don't think it'll be quite that much.

OG Fox
06-06-2013, 02:00 AM
yay for better handling and more horsepower!