PDA

View Full Version : Shifting at high rpm

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Ok. This is such a newb basic question... Ive driven this particular car since march. What's the trick to smooth, spirited driving? I just cant seem to figure this car out. I can shift smooth all day as long as I spend 5 seconds letting the clutch out between gears. I always thought the clutch was supposed to be all the way out before getting on the gas. Are you guys overlapping and slipping the clutch at high rpms? I know im hard as hell on the driveline when I try to do it fast.

Midnight11
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
its the stock shifter...

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 08:39 PM
its the stock shifter...

Which one is the one everyone uses the barton or mgw? I've heard yall say good things about both if I remember right.

Midnight11
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
mgw

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 09:03 PM
mgw

Where are yall buying them from? Pulled up lmr and they don't carry them and then went the mgw website and it says 2010+, is that right? The trans is different on a 2010...

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Nvm, wasn't looking in the right place.

Grandpa
06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
its the stock shifter...

THIS, trust me on this. lol

mgw

Agreed. I just recently got the MGW and it's a night and day difference. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Where are yall buying them from? Pulled up lmr and they don't carry them and then went the mgw website and it says 2010+, is that right? The trans is different on a 2010...

I got mine from TrueStreet. They just happened to have one in stock that another customer did not pick up. Toby installed it for me and set it to the way I like it. Shifts smooth as butter now. :rockit:

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
THIS, trust me on this. lol

I guess this will be next then. Shifting is very rough for me unless I release the clutch extremely slow.

Grandpa
06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I guess this will be next then. Shifting is very rough for me unless I release the clutch extremely slow.

You could also consider changing your transmission fluid. That has seemed to help some people with their shifting issues. I haven't had to do this, but some others have.

Dan12GT
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I need to see what the MGW hype is all about.

jng2985
06-03-2013, 10:32 PM
barton bracket alone cleaned up 2-6, fluid fixed 1-2.. Only reason I'm still going with barton S.T. is because even with long arms 5th still seems far away "without setting the seat to weiner position".

Just do it and dont look back, well worth it!

Phuck Phace
06-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Mgw ftw

Toby
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Let us know at truestreet when you are ready! We try and keep at least one in stock but they can be hard to get ahold of. Mgw only has them made in batches so when they run out, it can be a month before they restock so let us know ahead of time so we can ensure there is one on hand!

Grandpa
06-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Let us know at truestreet when you are ready! We try and keep at least one in stock but they can be hard to get ahold of. Mgw only has them made in batches so when they run out, it can be a month before they restock so let us know ahead of time so we can ensure there is one on hand!

Yeah, when I called there was a five week wait still.

JDMLOL
06-03-2013, 11:05 PM
barton bracket alone cleaned up 2-6, fluid fixed 1-2.. Only reason I'm still going with barton S.T. is because even with long arms 5th still seems far away "without setting the seat to weiner position".

Just do it and dont look back, well worth it!

What fluid are you going with?

Im surprised to hear that a short throw and fluid helps smooth the shifting. I figured people were going to say "learn to drive" or "practice" like other guys said on other forums (about other cars) when I googled "smooth shifting" lol.

I mean I've been daily driving a standard for 18 months, I know some of you guys on this forum have been daily driving them for longer than I've been alive, but I would figure by now I would be able to drive this thing a little better when I "get it."

jng2985
06-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Changed all to royal purple...

Toby
06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I would suggest synchromesh fluid to be put in your mt-82. It provides the correct weight of fluid and has the properties to keep it from thinning too much once some heat is put into the trans. Any brand royal purple, amsoil, gm factory, etc pick your favorite brand, any of them will be fine.

Zeek
06-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Screw the shifter just shove that bitch in gear!

Grandpa
06-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Screw the shifter just shove that bitch in gear!

Next thread made by Zeek: Price check! How much for MT82 rebuild?

Zeek
06-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Lol i must be doing somthing right. No problems so far and 18k miles! I have to take off that clutch return spring. I hate when the clutch sticks to the floor.