PDA

View Full Version : Garage Mancave

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
I am wanting to build a garage/hangout/mancave on my property. I planned on putting a lift, mini bar, couch, and pool table if I can fit it. My question(s) are how much room dimension wise do you guys think I'll need and do you guys think I should do a 2 post lift or 4 post?

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
If it's going in a decent sized garage/shop I'd vote 2 post, you can get to more of the car and I think they're quite a bit cheaper. How much room do you have to work with on the lot?

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
We are about to start the build of our new custom home and I'm planning on going all out on this garage. Three car garage, Racedeck flooring, two tone colored walls, cabinets, granite tops, wall mounted flat screen etc. :)

Anything and everything about badass garages you need to know can be found here: http://www.garagejournal.com/

JDMLOL
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
2 post. If you've got to dismantle suspension stuff your sol with a four.

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:35 PM
We are about to start the build of our new custom home and I'm planning on going all out on this garage. Three car garage, Racedeck flooring, two tone colored walls, cabinets, granite tops, wall mounted flat screen etc. :)

Anything and everything about badass garages you need to know can be found here: http://www.garagejournal.com/

That sounds pretty badass, Yahoo or MSN had something up a while back showing some of the nicest garages I've ever seen.

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
If it's going in a decent sized garage/shop I'd vote 2 post, you can get to more of the car and I think they're quite a bit cheaper. How much room do you have to work with on the lot?
I have a pretty large backyard I could probably go as big a 20x24. The only reason I think I would do a 4 post is for storage purposes.

That's awesome I will check that site out when I get some downtime today! Grats on the build and post pics when it's done.

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:48 PM
I would say use the whole 20x24 then and make it tall if you're able too, don't know if you have a HOA that allows it. Once you get a lift, car(s), toolboxes and the rest of the stuff in there I'm sure it'll fill it up pretty quick. I somehow managed 2 cars, 2 large toolboxes, 2 four wheelers, lawn equipment and storage shelves along with odds and ends in mine due to a storm. It was TIGHT!

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 01:01 PM
I would say use the whole 20x24 then and make it tall if you're able too, don't know if you have a HOA that allows it. Once you get a lift, car(s), toolboxes and the rest of the stuff in there I'm sure it'll fill it up pretty quick. I somehow managed 2 cars, 2 large toolboxes, 2 four wheelers, lawn equipment and storage shelves along with odds and ends in mine due to a storm. It was TIGHT!
No HOA thank goodness! What are ya'lls garage dimensions now if you don't mind my asking?

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 01:13 PM
HOA's are not all bad. It's good for neighborhood as long as you don't have a Nazi type HOA. Keeps home values up, neighborhood clean etc. I personally don't want to drop a lot of money on a house when the neighbors keep all their junk in the driveways and front yards or maintain their yards properly.

Luke
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Just the typical house garage, 20'x20', but it has a recessed area by the water heater, about 7'x2' so that gives us a little more.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 01:21 PM
JAred at RK has pretty neat setup in his house. Im kinda jelly...of the cave.

Luke
05-31-2013, 01:24 PM
HOA's are not all bad. It's good for neighborhood as long as you don't have a Nazi type HOA. Keeps home values up, neighborhood clean etc. I personally don't want to drop a lot of money on a house when the neighbors keep all their junk in the driveways and front yards or maintain their yards properly.

Agreed. The HOA at my parents' place kept quiet unless things got out of hand. A buddy of mine's HOA is definitely the Nazi type, they have a "garage door only open for 2 hours a day" rule and they will stick to that shit!

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Agreed. The HOA at my parents' place kept quiet unless things got out of hand. A buddy of mine's HOA is definitely the Nazi type, they have a "garage door only open for 2 hours a day" rule and they will stick to that shit!
WTF! 2 hours a day? Sorry but if i wanna keep my garage open,
Im gna keep it open. :slap:

Luke
05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
WTF! 2 hours a day? Sorry but if i wanna keep my garage open,
Im gna keep it open. :slap:

Yeah we figured it wasn't something they enforce as long as you don't just leave it open or are working out of it. We were wrong, he'd get notices about the most minor BS.

moostang09
05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
My parents friends has a two tree rule! Must have two trees in your front yard. Well when they bought the house it only had one so they continually got fined (never paid) for a year until the HOA finally listened to them and left them alone about it. They also have a policy where they are supposed to be able to park their cars in their garage at any given time! So no garage clutter! Stupid if you ask me.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah we figured it wasn't something they enforce as long as you don't just leave it open or are working out of it. We were wrong, he'd get notices about the most minor BS.

I mean there are alot of reason to leave your garage open over the course of a day. Mowing lawn, washing waxing car, working on car (chemicals, air flow blah) sounds like BS. :chicken:

03MachMe
05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
My in laws is even worse. Can not park a car in the driveway overnight unless you have a visitor pass on it . That means you have to park your cars in the garage at all times. Can not do any additions to the house unless approved by the hoa. Lots and lots of other bs too. They even have their neighborhood "security" That has radar guns and will try to pull you over with there little orange overhead lights if you speed. Had one follow me from the entrance all the way to my in laws house because I rolled a stop sign that wasn't installed by the state there for can not be enforced. I laughed.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
My in laws is even worse. Can not park a car in the driveway overnight unless you have a visitor pass on it . That means you have to park your cars in the garage at all times. Can not do any additions to the house unless approved by the hoa. Lots and lots of other bs too. They even have their neighborhood "security" That has radar guns and will try to pull you over with there little orange overhead lights if you speed. Had one follow me from the entrance all the way to my in laws house because I rolled a stop sign that wasn't installed by the state there for can not be enforced. I laughed.
Told him to fuck off. :gr_guns: thats just rediculous. I can understand keeping your lawn mowed, cleaned, and green but where you can park in your own driveway. Sheesh!

Luke
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM

They'd kick me out of the neighborhood. I keep my yard nice but the car thing would kill me, hell I can't even fit my Bronco in the garage if I wanted to. Next house I'll be looking for about an acre so the HOA thing won't be as bad (I hope), I can keep the toys in the shop.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
JAred at RK has pretty neat setup in his house. Im kinda jelly...of the cave.

LOL, do you know what the problem is with Jared's garage is? He doesn't own it.

Granted, he's made it look nice, but it's not functional for a car guy who works on his own car. He doesn't work on his own car so it's okay for him to set it up more as a showpiece/gameroom type deal.

Luke
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Pics? And I'm with Steve on this, if I can't work out of it the garage is useless to me. A creeper and jack stands is my shop of choice, I get great deals on labor rates.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM

Yeah, that wouldn't go over well with me either. I like hanging out in my garage when I can and definetly will more with my next one.

Haha, wow. I wish I could have seen the look on that guards face. :rofl:

Some HOA's like the one Ryan here is talking about are definetly over the top. They tell you what you can and can't plant, where to park etc. No cars that don't look clean like no primered cars or anything under construction. Can't change your oil in the driveway. Hell, some even check for cars with expired stickers in the windshields even if they are parked in your driveway! Law enforcement can't even do that!!

Luke
05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Hell, some even check for cars with expired stickers in the windshields even if they are parked in your driveway! Law enforcement can't even do that!!

Are you sure? I got 4 notices on my Bronco for my tags saying they would write a ticket if I didn't get current ones or put it in the garage. Maybe it's a city ordinance, or maybe that's why I only got notices, but if that's true I would have let it sit like that for longer had I known.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Are you sure? I got 4 notices on my Bronco for my tags saying they would write a ticket if I didn't get current ones or put it in the garage. Maybe it's a city ordinance, or maybe that's why I only got notices, but if that's true I would have let it sit like that for longer had I known.

Ryan would know the technicalities of it better, but a friend of mine had his Dad's rusted out old Stang on the side of the house for years. They got notices on a fairly regular basis. But it was because the car was visable from from the street. They either had to put up a fence or drag it to the back of the property. Each city has their own ways of dealing with it. As a rule, law enforcement will not just randomly go door to door checking stickers like some strict HOA's will just looking for revenue.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
LOL, do you know what the problem is with Jared's garage is? He doesn't own it.

Granted, he's made it look nice, but it's not functional for a car guy who works on his own car. He doesn't work on his own car so it's okay for him to set it up more as a showpiece/gameroom type deal.
GD POINT.
Pics? And I'm with Steve on this, if I can't work out of it the garage is useless to me. A creeper and jack stands is my shop of choice, I get great deals on labor rates.
I agree.

Luke
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Ryan would know the technicalities of it better, but a friend of mine had his Dad's rusted out old Stang on the side of the house for years. They got notices on a fairly regular basis. But it was because the car was visable from from the street. They either had to put up a fence or drag it to the back of the property. Each city has their own ways of dealing with it. As a rule, law enforcement will not just randomly go door to door checking stickers like some strict HOA's will just looking for revenue.

I'll have to check into it but at this point it's current again and I actually drive it now so it will be kept that way. It was 2012 and the tags were from '08, lol.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
What I think is bullshit about some HOA's is that some will look for any reason they can to collect revenue from homeowners. A friend of mine would get fines all the time for putting his trash cans out too early. He worked third shift and wasn't home in time for it to go out when they wanted him to do it. It went to the point where they threatened to put a lien on his house. I had no idea that an HOA could take your home. That's why it's so important to read every rule and by-law before signing with a HOA.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
What I think is bullshit about some HOA's is that some will look for any reason they can to collect revenue from homeowners. A friend of mine would get fines all the time for putting his trash cans out too early. He worked third shift and wasn't home in time for it to go out when they wanted him to do it. It went to the point where they threatened to put a lien on his house. I had no idea that an HOA could take your home. That's why it's so important to read every rule and by-law before signing with a HOA.

Bitch can try.

Luke
05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Haha, my buddy suffered the trash can thing as well. I think his got to the point where they just didn't like him and wanted him to leave. IIRC he had a confrontation with whoever heads it up in his neighborhood.

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow couldn't imagine living in a neighborhood that had that strict of HOA rules. They would have to kick me out lol.

03MachMe
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Would have to be a city ordinance. I'm sure there are some city's that have one like that, I think Richardson might even but code enforcement deals with that stuff not the pd. If it is an ordinance you can still get fined but it would just be a civil deal not criminal most likely.

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
This is Jareds garage a yr ago.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/hotdoggies/jared_zps5e7751e6.png (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/hotdoggies/media/jared_zps5e7751e6.png.html)

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

What do you guys think about this? Almost bought this last Christmas.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Too much clutter in there for me personally for a garage that has been "mancaved". I like a more clean, sanitary garage. There is no cabinets in there or counterspace in there for workspace.

JDMLOL
05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
I want my living room to double as the garage.

Luke
05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/maxjax.asp

What do you guys think about this? Almost bought this last Christmas.

That's pretty badass, but if you build your garage tall enough you can get the traditional style 2 post for much cheaper.

Luke
05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
I want my living room to double as the garage.

My spare bedroom serves as large part storage from time to time, I think the cowl hood for my wife's car is in there now, lol. We're trashy like that.

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Who makes a good quality 2 post lift for cheaper than $2,300 new?

re-rx7
05-31-2013, 04:48 PM

A guy that used to worrk on Dsm's out of his garage had this mini lift. It would lift the car about 4ft. Enough to squat underneath it. I thought it was the neatest damn thing. He said he paid around 2k new. It was also movable. :gasp: You would have people wanting to come over all the time LOL!

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Yea that's the link I posted above the Dannmar MaxJax. Would help a lot with saving space.

46Tbird
05-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Some of you guys' idea of a kickass garage is quite a bit different than mine. Personally I'd hate to look at a vinyl-wrapped Camaro convertible in a garage with checkerboard plastic floors. I like neat old stuff.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/kiwikevinp/Garage/IMG_8061.jpg

As for the lift, I would prefer a two post.

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Some of you guys' idea of a kickass garage is quite a bit different than mine. Personally I'd hate to look at a vinyl-wrapped Camaro convertible in a garage with checkerboard plastic floors. I like neat old stuff.

As for the lift, I would prefer a two post.

I like the neat old gas signs and stuff like that, but I don't want all the junk parts and clutter around. Everything has it's place and just sitting around cluttering up the joint just makes it junky. I rather have it all put away in cabinets and having clear space on counter tops to work. Plus, having all the junk sitting around isn't exactly safe for the little ones running around either.

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok so let me ask this. What are the must haves in "your version" of a perfect garage/man cave? Mine would be (space providing)
Wall mounted Flat Screen
2 Post Lift
Pool Table
Couch
Tools for working on the car
Cabinets for storage
Toolbox(s)
And last but not least a small bar area

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Space
Good lighting
Attic space for air compressor
Cabinets with counter top space
Easy clean Racedeck flooring
Surround sound stereo
Flatscreen TV mounted on the wall
large hideaway toolbox
Lift of course.

blownaltered
05-31-2013, 08:42 PM

You can get a normal sized two post lift and instillation for not much more than that. The only down side is you need 12' ceilings if I remember correctly

Grandpa
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
You can get a normal sized two post lift and instillation for not much more than that. The only down side is you need 12' ceilings if I remember correctly

Unless you're midget or like working in the squatting position.

GTRacerX
05-31-2013, 09:38 PM

Yea my ceilings in my garage I have now are like 10 3/4 or something like that....otherwise I would just use the garage space I have now.

Smurf50
05-31-2013, 10:14 PM

My parents HOA is like that. One of the rules is NO GOLF CARTS...but yet one of the guys on the HOA lets his kids ride around in a golf cart all day long. Another rule? No painted driveways....which of course said asshole painted his black...

My parents have gotten notices for the stupidest things, one of which required them to scale the fence BEHIND the house to take a picture of....

When they put a lien on your house, they cannot "take" your house. Basically they just impose a fine that is required to be paid before you can sell the house. I know people who have gotten notices to pay fines, called em and told em to put a lien on it, they weren't moving for 20 years :p

Luke
06-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Ok so let me ask this. What are the must haves in "your version" of a perfect garage/man cave? Mine would be (space providing)
Wall mounted Flat Screen
2 Post Lift
Pool Table
Couch
Tools for working on the car
Cabinets for storage
Toolbox(s)
And last but not least a small bar area

I'm simple. I'd just like to have a lift, good lighting, somewhere to hide the air compressor to limit noise, a decent size tv, good sounding stereo and a large fridge. Depending on if it's a shop separate from the house I'd want plumbing for a shitter and sink.

They make some a little taller than the mobile one that would still fit in a typical home garage. Instead of having the crossbar at the top it just has a strip running across the ground to the posts. I want to say it's priced about the same as the rest though, and you'd still be limited by the 10 ft. ceiling.

Dan12GT
06-02-2013, 02:15 PM
So since we are on the garage talk i'd like some opinions / suggestions. My wife and I are about to close on a house in Roanoke and I am trying to plan out the garage. The garage is 20x22 if I recall, i'd have to re-measure / check the documents again to know the exact measurements. It's basically a typical 2 car single door garage. We added the additional 2 feet of depth for some extra space. I won't have the money to make it into a man cave from the start so it will be a work in progress as the years progress.

The main initial items I want to address are floor coatings, a good sized air compressor, and work bench. I figured I'd do the floor right after we close while it is clean / empty and has time to cure. I've had friends that have done the do-it-yourself kits and their floors turned out great. Anyone have suggestions on what kits to buy and from where? Any technical details to know?

The work bench I will do probably a bit later when I know how big I can go. I've really been thinking of just building my own bench really.

Air Compressor would be next. I have a good amount of garage attic so moving the compressor up there and running the lines down is probably where I will go with that. Any suggestions on brands / sizes, etc?

Luke
06-02-2013, 02:22 PM
My parents did the garage floor at our old house when it was brand new, cleanliness is obviously a huge deal. It held up pretty well until he dropped a head which chipped it a little, from there it just started to peel pretty badly. I'm pretty sure they just went to Home Depot or Lowe's.

I can't really help you with the rest but if we're ever at a gtg after June at the same time I can get you a discount at Lowe's or HD if there's one close. Depending on the price of the compressor it can help quite a bit.

Dan12GT
06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
My parents did the garage floor at our old house when it was brand new, cleanliness is obviously a huge deal. It held up pretty well until he dropped a head which chipped it a little, from there it just started to peel pretty badly. I'm pretty sure they just went to Home Depot or Lowe's.

I can't really help you with the rest but if we're ever at a gtg after June at the same time I can get you a discount at Lowe's or HD if there's one close. Depending on the price of the compressor it can help quite a bit.

Nice! I'll have to keep that in mind for sure thanks!