PDA

View Full Version : Sct bricked my car

JDMLOL
05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Awesome. Just called them and waiting for a recovery. Anyone have this issue?

Phuck Phace
05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes, unhooked battery, waited 10 minutes, reloaded just fine.

Midnight11
05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Ditto

OG Fox
05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Dirty D recently had this problem.

Grandpa
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Nope. I let Sean tune it, put the SCT back in the package and haven't touched it since. It won't get used again until Kevin tunes it. I've seen too many stories about them bricking and rather not tempt fate. lol

JDMLOL
05-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Battery trick fixed it. Thanks guys.

DirtyD
05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Dale and David got me through the issue. Glad it fixed you too

JDMLOL
05-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Just wondering. Do you have to unplug the battery before every time you return it to stock?

DirtyD
05-30-2013, 03:06 PM
No. Just do not try and tune or return the car to stock unless the car has been sitting and the charging system has cooled down. The heat makes it go into fail safe.

TrueStreetTim
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
It's what they call the "keep alive memory" (kam). If simply unhooking the battery doesn't do the trick you can leave the car overnight. Switch the headlamps on the next morning for 10 minutes (with engine off). Switch the lights back off. Then reconnect the batter. All about discharging the KAM in the event it loads to 99% and fails etc.

JDMLOL
05-30-2013, 04:19 PM
It's what they call the "keep alive memory" (kam). If simply unhooking the battery doesn't do the trick you can leave the car overnight. Switch the headlamps on the next morning for 10 minutes (with engine off). Switch the lights back off. Then reconnect the batter. All about discharging the KAM in the event it loads to 99% and fails etc.

So basically its deleting the half loaded tune so you can start over?

TrueStreetTim
05-30-2013, 04:42 PM
In a nutshell; the car stores a certain amount of voltage to the PCM. It periodically spikes the PCM which closes the doorway on the SCT HH.

DirtyD
05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
In a nutshell; the car stores a certain amount of voltage to the PCM. It periodically spikes the PCM which closes the doorway on the SCT HH.

Yup. That's why you get charging system messages when you tune upload fails. The voltage spike is pretty much the failsafe mode

J.Shoot
05-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Could this be what happened to my F150. I went out to start it a couple weeks ago, everything lite up like it was going to start but it wouldn't do anything. I disconnected the battery for awhile, hooked back up, still nothing. I plugged in the SCT knowing I needed to put the stock tune back on and the handheld device said "unrecognized vehicle" or something like that. Long story short, I had to have it towed, the local Ford house said I had a dead PCM, 8 days later, $900 later, (out of warranty), I have my truck back. Of course ford said it was either the programmer that caused it to fail or they also saw "mouse tracks" on the engine. I can laugh about it now, but at the time is wasn't funny. I live in the country so the mouse tracks is no surprise, but really..... that's grasping in my opinion.
Just curious what every one thinks. I have not tried to put a tune back on the truck. I'm going to send my programmer back to SCT and let them check it out.
J.Shoot

Luke
05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Damn, that sucks, let us know what SCT says about the programmer

DirtyD
05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Could this be what happened to my F150. I went out to start it a couple weeks ago, everything lite up like it was going to start but it wouldn't do anything. I disconnected the battery for awhile, hooked back up, still nothing. I plugged in the SCT knowing I needed to put the stock tune back on and the handheld device said "unrecognized vehicle" or something like that. Long story short, I had to have it towed, the local Ford house said I had a dead PCM, 8 days later, $900 later, (out of warranty), I have my truck back. Of course ford said it was either the programmer that caused it to fail or they also saw "mouse tracks" on the engine. I can laugh about it now, but at the time is wasn't funny. I live in the country so the mouse tracks is no surprise, but really..... that's grasping in my opinion.
Just curious what every one thinks. I have not tried to put a tune back on the truck. I'm going to send my programmer back to SCT and let them check it out.
J.Shoot
It could've killed it. If the handheld for some reason no longer had a stock tune there for it to upload, who knows what was going on. Sucks that happened though.

JDMLOL
05-31-2013, 09:35 AM
I had rodent damage on my car when it was brand new. I guess from sitting on the lot. The first time I cracked the hood it had an acorn sitting on the intake manifold and chewed up firewall insulation. It has been garage kept ever since I have owned it and we have a cat so I doubt it happened at my place. The dealer fixed it under warranty since it must've happened on the lot. Had them go over everything to check for chewed wires. No problems yet.

Luke
05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
When I worked at Ford in Burleson we had stuff get towed in from rodent damage on occasion, my buddy was the one always having to track down the damage. Funniest time was when 3 of us were checking one out and a possum popped up from the back of the intake valley and started to hiss, scared the shit out of us.

DirtyD
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
When I worked at Ford in Burleson we had stuff get towed in from rodent damage on occasion, my buddy was the one always having to track down the damage. Funniest time was when 3 of us were checking one out and a possum popped up from the back of the intake valley and started to hiss, scared the shit out of us.
I would've grabbed a wrench and clubbed the shit out of that damn possum. LOL

How long ago did you work at Burleson Ford?

03MachMe
05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
The rodent thing is actually more common than you would think. When we were in the academy one of the guys I work with haf a squirrel chew his wiring harness up while we were in class. Went to start it and nothing. We open the hood and see a squirrel run out from under the car. 2k worth of work

JDMLOL
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
The rodent thing is actually more common than you would think. When we were in the academy one of the guys I work with haf a squirrel chew his wiring harness up while we were in class. Went to start it and nothing. We open the hood and see a squirrel run out from under the car. 2k worth of work

Do insurance policies cover that?

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Do insurance policies cover that?

Usually depends where the car is, if it's in the garage that's your best chance.

JDMLOL
05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Usually depends where the car is, if it's in the garage that's your best chance.

I guess in that case it could go on home owners if it covers that?

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I would've grabbed a wrench and clubbed the shit out of that damn possum. LOL

How long ago did you work at Burleson Ford?

Sorry, missed this one...

I quit toward the end of 09 and was there a little over 5 years. I miss working there, there were a lot of good guys there, just didn't pay enough.

Luke
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
I guess in that case it could go on home owners if it covers that?

Yeah, just depends on the coverage. I want to say we covered somebody who had there car parked in the driveway and it was chewed on within the week of them buying it. We ended up covering it since they were a long time customer, I think they wrote that it could have happened while sitting in the back of our lot since we were next to a field.

PLASMAN
05-31-2013, 06:26 PM
I would bet it was rodents not SCT. Tunes just don't go bad overnight and the message was because the pcm was dead not the tuner.