PDA

View Full Version : Clutch help

J.Shoot
05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I have been tracking (1/8 mile) my car and last the last couple of times noticed some problems getting the car in third gear if I take the car to redline. I was running out of chances to run so I lowered my shift point to 6,000 and it went into 3rd fine. Do you think it's the transmission locking me out because I'm to close to redline? What is the fix, shift lower rpm or new clutch????
Thanks
J.Shoot

re-rx7
05-19-2013, 10:16 AM
I have been tracking (1/8 mile) my car and last the last couple of times noticed some problems getting the car in third gear if I take the car to redline. I was running out of chances to run so I lowered my shift point to 6,000 and it went into 3rd fine. Do you think it's the transmission locking me out because I'm to close to redline? What is the fix, shift lower rpm or new clutch????
Thanks
J.Shoot
I dont think the clutch is the problem. Could be the synchros in the tranny not keeping up and or wore.

03MachMe
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
There has been a number of people with this problem with the mt82. Check svtperformance there are some threads on it. Think one option is just to change the fluid, another would be an aftermarket shifter like Barton or mgw. I would do those before new clutch

re-rx7
05-19-2013, 10:47 AM
There has been a number of people with this problem with the mt82. Check svtperformance there are some threads on it. Think one option is just to change the fluid, another would be an aftermarket shifter like Barton or mgw. I would do those before new clutch

How would a shifter help? Wouldnt it make it worse since the shift will be quicker giving the synchro less time? Id change the fluid first.

Luke
05-19-2013, 10:56 AM
From what I've read, the consensus is shifter AND fluid. I haven't looked into it too deeply though, I've got a 6R80.

Luke
05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
BTW, what kind of times are you running, your car is making some good power.

03MachMe
05-19-2013, 12:27 PM
How would a shifter help? Wouldnt it make it worse since the shift will be quicker giving the synchro less time? Id change the fluid first.

From what I have heard the stock shifter and bracket have trouble going into third. I have never had an issue so can't say first hand

re-rx7
05-19-2013, 01:39 PM
From what I have heard the stock shifter and bracket have trouble going into third. I have never had an issue so can't say first hand
Me either. Yet, if it had been fine then I cant see it being his problem. Plus, he said lowering the shift point made it go away? So that pretty much says its not a shifter prob.:893karatesmiley-thu

Toby
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I would definitely change the fluid. If that does not help then look into a better clutch. At your power level and as much as you track it, a clutch will be very beneficial. If I remember correctly we installed an mgw shifter in this car.

Toby
05-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Also if you plan to track it often I would highly suggest flushing the brake system and the clutch fluid with motul 600 fluid as they both share the same canister.

J.Shoot
05-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I have changed to the MGW shifter already and changed the fluid last week, so no change.

My best time is a 7.11 @ 99 mph. I was launching at 4,000 rpm and hooking good. I tried to increase my launch rpm to 5,000 and the car breaks loose. I'm running 15" wheels with MT ET streets with 14-15 psi. I'm going to go back to 4,000. Maybe work up a little if it will hold.

re-rx7
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I would definitely change the fluid. If that does not help then look into a better clutch. At your power level and as much as you track it, a clutch will be very beneficial. If I remember correctly we installed an mgw shifter in this car.
Whats the limit on the stock clutch toby? I see varying numbers....

Also if you plan to track it often I would highly suggest flushing the brake system and the clutch fluid with motul 600 fluid as they both share the same canister.
Did not know this.

I have changed to the MGW shifter already and changed the fluid last week, so no change.

My best time is a 7.11 @ 99 mph. I was launching at 4,000 rpm and hooking good. I tried to increase my launch rpm to 5,000 and the car breaks loose. I'm running 15" wheels with MT ET streets with 14-15 psi. I'm going to go back to 4,000. Maybe work up a little if it will hold.

Sounds more and more like tranny probs.

J.Shoot
05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
I called the dealership where I bought it, they sound very willing to help and they no my car has been heavily modded.

Need to change the clutch also I think.

J.Shoot

Toby
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Whats the limit on the stock clutch toby? I see varying numbers....

Did not know this.

Sounds more and more like tranny probs.

It does vary, but I would recommend changing if you are over 600 rwhp and plan to drive it hard often. I have seen bolt on cars blow the clutch and I have seen 800 rwhp cars holding on the stock clutch.