PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket shifter- bracket only?

El_Tortuga
05-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Installed the Barton c/w 2-post bracket yesterday and it's great.

Seeing the difference between the stock and the 2-post bracket makes me think it's a high percentage of the improvement. Anybody ever try just installing a bracket? It might be a better bang-for-the buck.

El_Tortuga
05-12-2013, 08:02 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/El_Tortuga/Mustang/null_zps06706c8d.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/El_Tortuga/media/Mustang/null_zps06706c8d.jpg.html)

downtime!
05-13-2013, 02:15 AM
That's what I run on mine, though I do have the Barton shifter as well. It's damn near too good.

46Tbird
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the JHR shifter bracket and stock shifter. Pretty decent if you ask me, I have no issues hitting the gates.

El_Tortuga
05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
That's what I run on mine, though I do have the Barton shifter as well. It's damn near too good.

Yep. I'm really excited about the improvement. Job was a piece of cake, EXCEPT for the getting the boot down around the shifter. Took me several tries. Made a little tool (1/2" wide strip steel with a rounded end) to poke it down from inside the shifter handle hole and all was well.

Hagen3great
05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Ill be installing the steeda with the red(softer) bushing once I get back in town. Ill post back with a review. My car Is extremely stubborn getting into 3rd at high rpm. Keeps catching the gate.

jng2985
05-20-2013, 10:01 PM
The bracket came in before the shifter so I installed the bracket only 20 mins ago. At the very least DO IT! eliminates a slight bit of the squishy play, and so far 2-5 under load was clean. I do still have a fluid issue with 1-2 but even that is better.

I did it solo with just the passenger side on jack stands. Really though hire a team of little people or use a damn lift.

1. Remove the two nuts "easy"
2. Cut or pull the passenger side retainer clip off the bolt "easy"
3. Pull crappy OEM bracket off "easy"
4.Slide on nut plate it's keyed so you can't fuck it up "easy"
5. Spread bushing into place, again you cant f up "easy"
6. Add a little bit of soap to outside leading edge of bushing and push on bracket hanger "slight PIA"
7. Finger tighten allen cap screws "easy"
8. Line up bracket to bolts and snug the 2 nuts. "easy"
9. Tighten the 2 nuts then 4 allen "the 4 is where the little people come in"
10. Drive it like you stole it... "easy for some"

Simple, fast, 100% worth it.

hammeredsoul
05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I also did the Barton 2 post only. I will not be getting an aftermarket shifter, it works great with the OEM shifter.