PDA

View Full Version : diablosport trinity t-1000

m_tyler_r
04-23-2013, 07:27 PM
do I really need to dump the $600 and get this tuner?

Toby
04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
No buy an sct tuner along with a true dyno tune. That is the best safest way to ensure you do not damage anything.

DirtyD
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
The trinity is just a fancy Xcal.

m_tyler_r
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
that's kind of what I was thinking. thanks for the input

DirtyD
04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want the ability to constantly monitor multiple engine parameters on the fly without a computers and you don't have track apps, then it is nice to have. If not, yeah, just stick the Xcal or TSX system.

m_tyler_r
04-23-2013, 08:31 PM
If you want the ability to constantly monitor multiple engine parameters on the fly without a computers and you don't have track apps, then it is nice to have. If not, yeah, just stick the Xcal or TSX system.

is there a certain one I should go with or just a regular one from AM

DirtyD
04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Try and find a used SCT if you can. Don't waste your money on bama tunes. Much better options out there. Don't be afraid to buy a locked tuner either, at a reasonable price. Bought mine for $75 locked, $150 to unlocked only through SCT, and I'm still $150 shy if what a new Xcal costs.

m_tyler_r
04-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Try and find a used SCT if you can. Don't waste your money on bama tunes. Much better options out there. Don't be afraid to buy a locked tuner either, at a reasonable price. Bought mine for $75 locked, $150 to unlocked only through SCT, and I'm still $150 shy if what a new Xcal costs.

I'm not too savvy with these tuners.. where can I go to get it tuned around here?

TrueStreetMotorSports.com
04-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm not too savvy with these tuners.. where can I go to get it tuned around here?

We are pretty booked up right now but would be happy to get you in as soon as possible. Give us a call tomorrow

m_tyler_r
04-23-2013, 11:58 PM
We are pretty booked up right now but would be happy to get you in as soon as possible. Give us a call tomorrow

alright thanks a lot

Grandpa
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Stay away from Bama tunes. They have blown up more shit than Al Qaueda.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:14 AM

damn is it that bad

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
You can get tuned at HPP, Truestreet, Dallas Mustang, pretty much anywhere in DFW that will be willing to tune your car.

Even doing a remote tune (email tune) through companies such as AED, JPC Racing, Lund, and BBR have great results. Those types of tunes are typically cheaper, but don't yield as high of results as a dyno tune will.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:43 AM
You can get tuned at HPP, Truestreet, Dallas Mustang, pretty much anywhere in DFW that will be willing to tune your car.

Even doing a remote tune (email tune) through companies such as AED, JPC Racing, Lund, and BBR have great results. Those types of tunes are typically cheaper, but don't yield as high of results as a dyno tune will.

thanks for the info... I don't have too much done to my engine so far so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. where's the closest shop around Arlington and uta?

re-rx7
04-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Bullshit, the more I read up on alot of other forums the more I find that to be untrue. I reseaarched and researched before I made any purchase. They sell almost 5x what other tuners do so any failures would be more attributed to them. If I build 100 cars and the next builds 10. Who do you think has a greater chance of having more problems?:flipthebird: I can show you threads where Lund racing has fucked up tunes as well and then not emailed the customer back for weeks afterwards.

Grandpa
04-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Bullshit, the more I read up on alot of other forums the more I find that to be untrue. I reseaarched and researched before I made any purchase. They sell almost 5x what other tuners do so any failures would be more attributed to them. If I build 100 cars and the next builds 10. Who do you think has a greater chance of having more problems?:flipthebird: I can show you threads where Lund racing has fucked up tunes as well and then not emailed the customer back for weeks afterwards.

If you had actually done your research as you have said you'd be aware of all the background info and there is no way you could possibly say anything positive about Bama tuning. They had a HUGE issue on their hands there for awhile.

re-rx7
04-24-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm aware of past issues I'm also aware of issues other tuners have had as well. Once again they sell a lot more tuners then others so more issues are to be expected. Those problems were mainly a few years back and totaled about 2 -3 cars. Please post link of current problems or threads. Also read where stock 2011 5.0's were blowing #8 as well.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
thanks for the info... I don't have too much done to my engine so far so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. where's the closest shop around Arlington and uta?

Gear heads in south Arlington off copper, just north of 287 is a decent shop. Not sure how many v6s they've done though. You would really have to contact a shop about getting a V6 tune.

But I can also recommend Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning, as I think he has experience in the 3.7 market as well. I know he did with the 4.0 and old 3.8L

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 08:08 AM
If you had actually done your research as you have said you'd be aware of all the background info and there is no way you could possibly say anything positive about Bama tuning. They had a HUGE issue on their hands there for awhile.

Don't be so harsh, Steve. You and I both know that Bama used to be one of the most prominent tuning companies when it came to Mustangs. Unfortunately, that isn't the same Bama that now operates under American Muscle.

AM & Bama outsell everyone else because of the "scam-ish" warranty they offer with the "#8 Guarantee" and the lifetime tunes. The lifetime tunes are awesome, but any tuner than has any idea what they are doing now knows that the #8 issue from tuning as been completely resolved. But a lot of people out there don't research and realize this, so they put trust in Bama nothing will happen. Great marketing strategy.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Gear heads in south Arlington off copper, just north of 287 is a decent shop. Not sure how many v6s they've done though. You would really have to contact a shop about getting a V6 tune.

But I can also recommend Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning, as I think he has experience in the 3.7 market as well. I know he did with the 4.0 and old 3.8L

alright I'll try them

re-rx7
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Don't be so harsh, Steve. You and I both know that Bama used to be one of the most prominent tuning companies when it came to Mustangs. Unfortunately, that isn't the same Bama that now operates under American Muscle.

AM & Bama outsell everyone else because of the "scam-ish" warranty they offer with the "#8 Guarantee" and the lifetime tunes. The lifetime tunes are awesome, but any tuner than has any idea what they are doing now knows that the #8 issue from tuning as been completely resolved. But a lot of people out there don't research and realize this, so they put trust in Bama nothing will happen. Great marketing strategy.

Not quite sure what your trying to say.

Grandpa
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

That is because you're not as well informed on the history as you thought. There was some shady stuff that went down with all of that. If you were aware of all the background it would make more sense to you. There is no sense in drudging it all up again putting this site in the middle of some internet fiasco. If you make it out to a GTG some time I'll tell you about it all.

re-rx7
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Ehh like I said at this stage in the game with just a intake I'm not overly worried. I did my research honestly I feel that it just a matter of who you want to tune your car.

Courtesy Flush
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I guess ill join the minority here in that i never had one issue with bama tunes.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Ehh like I said at this stage in the game with just a intake I'm not overly worried. I did my research honestly I feel that it just a matter of who you want to tune your car.

I only used the word scam-ish because AM/Bama sells so many people tunes that aren't forum bred enthusiasts like ourselves. They here they can make their car faster, find out where, and just buy. Bama is super conservative on their tunes. There is a guy in our group running the exact same mods at Midnight, but only making 406/370ish while Midnight makes 425/385. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is personal choice on who you feel comfortable tuning your car. BUT, people need to know there are better, more power-efficient options for custom tunes than just Bama. But what they offer makes it "hella" enticing.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
called up Gearheads... they said it would be $250 for a dyno tune... any thoughts? high? low? if I go that route would I need a tuner?

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:26 AM
I guess ill join the minority here in that i never had one issue with bama tunes.
How long ago did you have them? I know some of the smaller issues such as the idle surges and stuff are hit and miss. There has only been one actual #8 failure under their watch with a customer, that I'm aware of, in which the they claim the tune wasn't found at fault. But I haven't dug deep enough to try and uncover other occurences, because it doesn't really matter to me. I know my 4 options for custom tuning will either be AED, JPC, Truestreet, or Kevin.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:28 AM
called up Gearheads... they said it would be $250 for a dyno tune... any thoughts? high? low? if I go that route would I need a tuner?
That doesn't seem to bad at all. As for a tuner, you will have to ask them if they can tune for SCT, or if they are still a diablosport only dealer (which they were like 4 years ago the one time I visited the shop).

Any retunes you will need for future mods will cost you though, and those are typically based on the shop rate for hourly work, and however long it takes to do the retune. Make sure to clarify that.

Grandpa
04-24-2013, 10:29 AM

At this point I'm sure it will run fine. Most tuners now have "the fix" program which is why the number eight issues have all but disappeared. Of course, there will always be the occasional failure here and there, but they arent blowing up every week like they were in 2011. Bama tunes now are ultra conservative to insure they don't hurt anything anymore.

The latest trend with some of the bigger tuners is that they will no longer do datalogging tunes on the street and will only do live remote tuning in order to reduce any issues.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
That doesn't seem to bad at all. As for a tuner, you will have to ask them if they can tune for SCT, or if they are still a diablosport only dealer (which they were like 4 years ago the one time I visited the shop).

Any retunes you will need for future mods will cost you though, and those are typically based on the shop rate for hourly work, and however long it takes to do the retune. Make sure to clarify that.

yeah I noted that I was about to buy an SCT and he didn't mention it being a problem. he also said that in the future if I get new mods it would be like $100 to retune

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
At this point I'm sure it will run fine. Most tuners now have "the fix" program which is why the number eight issues have all but disappeared. Of course, there will always be the occasional failure here and there, but they arent blowing up every week like they were in 2011. Bama tunes now are ultra conservative to insure they don't hurt anything anymore.

The latest trend with some of the bigger tuners is that they will no longer do datalogging tunes on the street and will only do live remote tuning in order to reduce any issues.
I'm pretty sure that Shaun will still continue his DL since that's what makes his tunes, and why people trust him so much. I just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed to the point of that not happening anymore.

When I spoke with Aaron at JPC, he said they do DL after the initial tune is written, only to fine tune.

I am considering Kevin very highly just because he is local, and can ride in the car with me, or even drive the car, so I can the true street experience.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:32 AM
yeah I noted that I was about to buy an SCT and he didn't mention it being a problem. he also said that in the future if I get new mods it would be like $100 to retune
Sounds like a decent option to me. Curious to know how they do with your tunes.

I know that Truestreet charges $400 for the initial dyno tune, and then it's shop rate ($80/hr) after that for any retuning.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a decent option to me. Curious to know how they do with your tunes.

I know that Truestreet charges $400 for the initial dyno tune, and then it's shop rate ($80/hr) after that for any retuning.

ill be sure to keep this updated on how it goes. meeting with a guy today about the tuner, hopefully have it tuned by this weekend

Grandpa
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that Shaun will still continue his DL since that's what makes his tunes, and why people trust him so much. I just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed to the point of that not happening anymore.

When I spoke with Aaron at JPC, he said they do DL after the initial tune is written, only to fine tune.

I am considering Kevin very highly just because he is local, and can ride in the car with me, or even drive the car, so I can the true street experience.

The last time I spoke with Shaun, he would DL n/a tunes, but was considering no longer doing anything but live remotes for forced induction cars. Some other tuners are doing that completely.

Kevin really knows his stuff, so much so many tuners come to him for advice, especially in regards to anything e85 related. There is some big things in the works coming soon with Kevin, but you guys will have to wait to see. :)

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
The last time I spoke with Shaun, he would DL n/a tunes, but was considering no longer doing anything but live remotes for forced induction cars. Some other tuners are doing that completely.

Kevin really knows his stuff, so much so many tuners come to him for advice, especially in regards to anything e85 related. There is some big things in the works coming soon with Kevin, but you guys will have to wait to see. :)
Yeah, and that is totally understandable with FI cars, because there is a lot more at stake.

As for Kevin, most of us know what he has in the works, unless that has changed. :lol:

I'm hoping to get with him before June is over, maybe even dyno day to get a tune done, if his software and everything makes it, and he can fit me into his schedule. :D

Courtesy Flush
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
How long ago did you have them? I know some of the smaller issues such as the idle surges and stuff are hit and miss. There has only been one actual #8 failure under their watch with a customer, that I'm aware of, in which the they claim the tune wasn't found at fault. But I haven't dug deep enough to try and uncover other occurences, because it doesn't really matter to me. I know my 4 options for custom tuning will either be AED, JPC, Truestreet, or Kevin.

Bought my tuner and intake combo w/ offroad pipe in January of 2011.
Took it to TS in October of 2011 for a custom tune, twas the first time the car had been on the dyno since parts were installed. Bama tune put down 431/411 STD.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Bought my tuner and intake combo w/ offroad pipe in January of 2011.
Took it to TS in October of 2011 for a custom tune, twas the first time the car had been on the dyno since parts were installed. Bama tune put down 431/411 STD.

Wow. That isn't bad.

All I know is that Randy with the red 11 or 12 only put down like 406/37x with his boss IM, ABs, intake, ORX and Bama tune. That's pretty bad. More recent tune though. Maybe it's super conservative.

merlinmol
04-24-2013, 11:37 AM

My tune with HPP was $400 for a lifetime tune, which means the tuning only cost me dyno time from this point out. I already had an unlocked SCT from Maggie though.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
My tune with HPP was $400 for a lifetime tune, which means the tuning only cost me dyno time from this point out. I already had an unlocked SCT from Maggie though.

that's what True Street quoted me. Im meeting a guy today about getting an unlocked SCT for $250

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
that's what True Street quoted me. Im meeting a guy today about getting an unlocked SCT for $250
Was that the one I saw listed on CL from the beginning of the month?

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Was that the one I saw listed on CL from the beginning of the month?

maybe...the OP was Zeek

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 12:18 PM
maybe...the OP was Zeek
Maybe not....

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Maybe not....

either way, hopefully it'll be mine by the end of the day. can I still load a tune on it before I get a dyno tune?

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
either way, hopefully it'll be mine by the end of the day. can I still load a tune on it before I get a dyno tune?
Load what tune? If you mean load one of the canned SCT tunes on to your car, IDK if there is a canned 3.7 tune.

04-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Depends, Some of the SCT handhelds come with pre loaded tunes. I think 91/89/87 fuel tunes. The Handhelds we sale come blank with no tunes since we do our own custom tunes.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Load what tune? If you mean load one of the canned SCT tunes on to your car, IDK if there is a canned 3.7 tune.

yeah that's what I meant, one of the tunes that comes on the SCT. I think the guy I'm buying it from had a 5.0 though so I doubt it

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Depends, Some of the SCT handhelds come with pre loaded tunes. I think 91/89/87 fuel tunes. The Handhelds we sale come blank with no tunes since we do our own custom tunes.

okay thanks. I'll find out later today

04-24-2013, 12:43 PM

He might be able to log on to SCT and down load some V-6 "can" tunes.

04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
okay thanks. I'll find out later today

anytime

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
He might be able to log on to SCT and down load some V-6 "can" tunes.

sorry for the ignorance but what's "can"

04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
sorry for the ignorance but what's "can"

What most of us call tunes that come with the handheld in the package from SCT. No can's involved lol

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
What most of us call tunes that come with the handheld in the package from SCT. No can's involved lol

lmao I figured it was just slang for stock for the tuner. thanks for clearing that up

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
If the tuner Zeek has is a part # 3000, It's an X3 device, meaning that it only holds custom tunes, no preloaded tunes. If it's a 3015 device, that is a SF3, and has a slew of preloaded tunes for many different Ford vehicles.

SCT appears to have canned tunes for the 3.7L, good for "+11 HP/+15 TQ", of course those are subjective to true.

http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=2&VID=742

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
If the tuner Zeek has is a part # 3000, It's an X3 device, meaning that it only holds custom tunes, no preloaded tunes. If it's a 3015 device, that is a SF3, and has a slew of preloaded tunes for many different Ford vehicles.

SCT appears to have canned tunes for the 3.7L, good for "+11 HP/+15 TQ", of course those are subjective to true.

http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=2&VID=742

yeah he didn't clarify probably because I didn't know to ask lol. hopefully it has them preloaded

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
yeah he didn't clarify probably because I didn't know to ask lol. hopefully it has them preloaded

Can can either ask him for the serial number and call SCT to find out, or ask of he knows.

re-rx7
04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
I dnt doubt that bama tunes are conservative. I also won't argue that a custom tune will make more power. When I add the xpipe and boss im I will def be booking a custom tune. As for now its seems to run a lot stronger.
I can't believe the diff just a can tune makes.

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 03:15 PM
I dnt doubt that bama tunes are conservative. I also won't argue that a custom tune will make more power. When I add the xpipe and boss im I will def be booking a custom tune. As for now its seems to run a lot stronger.
I can't believe the diff just a can tune makes.
Yup. With just a tune on a bone stock car, it becomes a whole new animal.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
so I bought the tuner, unfortunately it has no canned tunes or whatever y'all like to call them lol. I'm gonna check out true street before I take it to gear heads here in Arlington. I've heard better about true street

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 04:06 PM
so I bought the tuner, unfortunately it has no canned tunes or whatever y'all like to call them lol. I'm gonna check out true street before I take it to gear heads here in Arlington. I've heard better about true street

That sucks. You could always try and find an SF3 tuner and just sell then one you have, if you wanted to go that route.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
That sucks. You could always try and find an SF3 tuner and just sell then one you have, if you wanted to go that route.

yeah that's true. I just called gear heads to see if they could squeeze me in this week to get a basic tune down.

blownaltered
04-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Wait for true street. I've had work done at both places and tunes at both places. I can tell you my experience with true street was a million times better than it was at Gearheads.

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Wait for true street. I've had work done at both places and tunes at both places. I can tell you my experience with true street was a million times better than it was at Gearheads.

thanks for the advice. I just didn't know which was better, but being that true street says $400 and gear heads is $250 I guess it's so high for a good reason

DirtyD
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
yeah that's true. I just called gear heads to see if they could squeeze me in this week to get a basic tune down.

In all honesty, I would just wait period until you can get into Truestreet. Don't spend $250 on a tune you may use for a month or two, only to turn around and spend another $400 on another tune. Just wait and save your money

m_tyler_r
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
In all honesty, I would just wait period until you can get into Truestreet. Don't spend $250 on a tune you may use for a month or two, only to turn around and spend another $400 on another tune. Just wait and save your money

yeah I'm gonna go that route. rather have quality work done