PDA

View Full Version : Official Dyno Tuned

merlinmol
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
What up peeps,

I got my car dyno tuned today. It is amazing the difference in the car now with how it drove before. The car went 526.8 STD HP and 454.6 STD TQ. This was at about 4:30 today so around 90 degrees and over 70% humidity. I was fairly impressed with the numbers considering the Temp and Humidity. I am also running the stock pulley and have LT's so I'm probably at 6 to 6.5 lb's of boost

I know several people like the Roush TVS kits and always wonder how the Magnuson compares to it. My car pretty much has what a stage 1 Roush kit would and puts down about the same if not more HP than the Roush TVS would. I did a little looking and found some numbers that JDM put down which showed 475 RWHP, not sure if that's STD or SAE. I am also not sure of their Altitude/Temp/Humidity numbers. They also show that the stage one is around 7-8 lb's of boost.

I will be posting a pic of the dyno sheet here shortly. Hopefully this helps those of you that have been looking at TVS kits. Please also note that the Magnuson S/C kits do not require you to do any cutting on the block which I believe the Roush kits do. Let me know what you guys think.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n633/merlinmol/100_0806_zps12eaab97.jpg

svt-eric
04-17-2013, 09:03 PM
me want to race!

Phuck Phace
04-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Nice, I wanna see what it will make at 16lbs.

Rydawg1
04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
nice numbers man.

Dark Pony
04-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Nice!

Midnight11
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
very nice scott!

Justin@VMP
04-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Just enough to get in trouble with..

merlinmol
04-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Just enough to get in trouble with..

This is true, will be interesting to see how I do the next time I take her to the track, have a feeling i will be fighting oversteer like crazy. Throttle response is borderline retarded now.

Luke
04-18-2013, 05:17 AM
What were the numbers before the boost?

merlinmol
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Don't have numbers from before, S/C was on the car at 600 miles. Car normally would have been dyno tuned as it was built, but with SEMA there isn't always a lot of time to get everything done. It's a godsend just to have a car that ran and drove there haha.

03MachMe
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Very nice! I might just have to go this route. I really like how you don't have to cut anything for the install. What is the price on the kit?

merlinmol
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ryan, give Mike a call (972) 542-0255. He will let you know what he can do for you on the Maggie kit.

Grandpa
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Very nice! I might just have to go this route. I really like how you don't have to cut anything for the install. What is the price on the kit?

Of all the kits, it's the easiest to install. The base Maggie kits are around $5500 bucks, but it comes with everything you need except a decent intake which they are still trying to develop. They struggle to make decent power and really need to be pullied. They could also benefit from a larger intercooler because the one it comes with is really small, but it was designed to just slide in with no mods/cutting needed. Several owners have made comments about heatsoak issues due to the size of the intercooler. BUT, if you're only looking for fun moderate power, the Maggie will get it done.

I think the Maggie is a solid alternative for someone wanting a PD blower but cant drop $7k on a Roush setup. The upside of the Roush setup is that it's a proven blower with easy support (to where the Maggie has almost none outside of the Vette community) The Roush also has proven reliability by Ford.

I've put a lot of time into researching all the blowers available for these cars. I talked to Travis who is the owner of SVTP who has a Maggie on his GT. He's been helping Magnuson develop a CAI for the the blower, but it's been very slow going. They've been working on that thing for over a year now. Travis made a frankenstein CAI for it out of spare parts and it picked up some really good power showing the stock intake really chokes the blower.

merlinmol
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Of all the kits, it's the easiest to install. The base Maggie kits are around $5500 bucks, but it comes with everything you need except a decent intake which they are still trying to develop. They struggle to make decent power and really need to be pullied. They could also benefit from a larger intercooler because the one it comes with is really small, but it was designed to just slide in with no mods/cutting needed. Several owners have made comments about heatsoak issues due to the size of the intercooler. BUT, if you're only looking for fun moderate power, the Maggie will get it done.

I think the Maggie is a solid alternative for someone wanting a PD blower but cant drop $7k on a Roush setup. The upside of the Roush setup is that it's a proven blower with easy support (to where the Maggie has almost none outside of the Vette community) The Roush also has proven reliability by Ford.

I've put a lot of time into researching all the blowers available for these cars. I talked to Travis who is the owner of SVTP who has a Maggie on his GT. He's been helping Magnuson develop a CAI for the the blower, but it's been very slow going. They've been working on that thing for over a year now. Travis made a frankenstein CAI for it out of spare parts and it picked up some really good power showing the stock intake really chokes the blower.

Steve, this isn't 100% correct which is why I posted some info about the Roush stage 1 kit. To say that Maggie struggles to make decent power is bullshit. Sure if you take the stage 2 or 3 kits with CAI's and pullies on them they make more power, but it would be no different than if you do a CAI and pulley on the Maggie. Also to say that Maggie is unproven except with Corvette is inaccurate as well, especially since Magnuson has been around way longer that most others out there. The only reason they are not known on Mustangs as much is because of how popular the Kenny Bell's and Whipples are from the Termi days. I hope you know that when you look at the kits on the online stores that those are not RWHP numbers. For example, my Maggie kit is making around 600 crank which is about the same as the Roush 575 Kit.

03MachMe
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
BUT, if you're only looking for fun moderate power, the Maggie will get it done.

I think the Maggie is a solid alternative for someone wanting a PD blower but cant drop $7k on a Roush setup.

Yep sounds like me! I just want to be right at 600hp and I will be more than happy and it sounds like this kit will get me to that goal. Plus I have never installed something this large before so the ease of install is huge plus for me.

Grandpa
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Steve, this isn't 100% correct which is why I posted some info about the Roush stage 1 kit. To say that Maggie struggles to make decent power is bullshit. Sure if you take the stage 2 or 3 kits with CAI's and pullies on them they make more power, but it would be no different than if you do a CAI and pulley on the Maggie. Also to say that Maggie is unproven except with Corvette is inaccurate as well, especially since Magnuson has been around way longer that most others out there. The only reason they are not known on Mustangs as much is because of how popular the Kenny Bell's and Whipples are from the Termi days. I hope you know that when you look at the kits on the online stores that those are not RWHP numbers. For example, my Maggie kit is making around 600 crank which is about the same as the Roush 575 Kit.

It's just my opinions from my research I have done talking to owners and shops that carry them. When I say unproven, I was referring to the new 5.0's and not their entire market. Information and tech is not as readily available for the Maggie as it is other kits simply because there isn't very many people running them. I gave both the negative and the positives of my opinions of the kit and you're focusing on the negative because you're taking personally. I think that anyone who is going to drop that kind of money on a kit should do their research of both the positives and the negatives. Get what you are looking for, but also be aware of the drawbacks.

The Maggie kit will make power, but it's NOT as efficient due to its packaging for ease of install. The Maggie kits do IN FACT have more heatsoak issues than other PD blowers due to the size of the intercooler. Your car makes 525rw on the first hit, I guarantee you it doesn't on the second. All kits have the positives as well as drawbacks. Prochargers make great power, but they also are more taxing on motors because they require more HP to turn them versus other centri blowers.

There is a reason why Ford deals with Roush, it's because it's a quality, durable product that makes great power. It's hard to argue that.

Grandpa
04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Yep sounds like me! I just want to be right at 600hp and I will be more than happy and it sounds like this kit will get me to that goal. Plus I have never installed something this large before so the ease of install is huge plus for me.

Cool. Sounds like it could work for you then! Hopefully they will release the CAI for it soon, then you can just pulley it down a step or two, a good custom tune (do not use the Maggie supplied one lol) and you should be real close to 600rw with some nice torque.

Travis has a nice, step by step install write up on the Maggie. You should check it out, I'm sure you could easily do it by yourself or a couple of friends who live close by to help you out. :head3:

merlinmol
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
It's just my opinions from my research I have done talking to owners and shops that carry them. When I say unproven, I was referring to the new 5.0's and not their entire market. Information and tech is not as readily available for the Maggie as it is other kits simply because there isn't very many people running them. I gave both the negative and the positives of my opinions of the kit and you're focusing on the negative because you're taking personally. I think that anyone who is going to drop that kind of money on a kit should do their research of both the positives and the negatives. Get what you are looking for, but also be aware of the drawbacks.

The Maggie kit will make power, but it's NOT as efficient due to its packaging for ease of install. The Maggie kits do IN FACT have more heatsoak issues than other PD blowers due to the size of the intercooler. Your car makes 525rw on the first hit, I guarantee you it doesn't on the second. All kits have the positives as well as drawbacks. Prochargers make great power, but they also are more taxing on motors because they require more HP to turn them versus other centri blowers.

There is a reason why Ford deals with Roush, it's because it's a quality, durable product that makes great power. It's hard to argue that.

I understand what you were trying to say and I am being defensive because you make it sound like Maggie kits aren't as efficient, or have a harder time making power when they are practically the exact same. In fact, as far as I know, the VMP, Roush, and Maggie kits all use the exact same Eaton Rotors in their 2.3L superchargers. The heat exchanger/intercooler isn't going to be the real issue with heat soaking, granted a bigger one helps prolong it as much as possible. The biggest problem for heat soaking is because the coolant tanks are in the engine bay, either right next to the engine or right on top of the radiator. The only true way to keep from getting heat soaked is to move those tanks (and the pump) away from the engine bay.

By the way, that dyno sheet is from the 2nd pull, after the car was already retardedly hot and with the air temp being 90+ degrees with over 70% humidity.

re-rx7
04-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Nice numbers. Sounds like a fun ride.