PDA

View Full Version : Restore Some Ride Quality

Dan12GT
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm planning out some later suspension mods. I need to get rid of the stock shocks/struts eventually. I am also in the process looking to bring back some ride quality. I'd love some Koni yellow but damn they are expensive. I also am not drag racing my car a ton or road racing so I won't need the adjustability as much. I have been considering the Koni SRT.Ts:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1110

Nick, I know you have used these before. I am just looking to get a feeler for what the ride quality is like and if this would bring back some of that for my car.

DirtyD
04-17-2013, 03:40 PM
BMR springs with any of the Koni struts or Tokico D-specs.

/thread

Midnight11
04-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Ride was better than stock with the konis and steeda sports

merlinmol
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Truthfully, you cannot beat adjustable shocks/struts for ride quality. Not sure how much the Koni kits are, but both Nick(Midnight) and I run on coil over's and those you can get for about 1000. That will also keep you from buying springs.

jayman33
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
The BC's won't restore the quality of your ride. I just took a set off my car and replaced them with Ground Control CC plates. For guys looking to track their car for less than 20 minutes or live in states where roads aren't a problem than the BC's are great. In the north the salt will eat those strut bodies quickly.

merlinmol
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
The BC's won't restore the quality of your ride. I just took a set off my car and replaced them with Ground Control CC plates. For guys looking to track their car for less than 20 minutes or live in states where roads aren't a problem than the BC's are great. In the north the salt will eat those strut bodies quickly.

Well thankfully most of us on this site live in Dallas so we don't have to deal with the latter part. As far as BC's helping with ride quality. I disagree, stock mustangs ride like shit, at least mine did when it was stock. Everyone that rides in my car comments about how comfortable it is. Granted some of the ride quality depends on the type of seats, tires that you run, and road quality as you mentioned. I am not saying BC's are the best, but being able to adjust the stiffness settings is a huge plus.

Dan12GT
04-19-2013, 03:32 PM

What are thees BC's we are referring to here?

merlinmol
04-19-2013, 03:44 PM
What are thees BC's we are referring to here?

BC racing coilover's. They are one of a couple sets you can get for about $1k.

Dan12GT
05-04-2013, 11:49 PM
I am really looking to get a firm idea of what I am going to do soon. Like I mentioned, I don't so much care for the adjust ability right now as the car is a daily driven car and not raced much at all, just the every so often test and tune fun at the local strips. The SRTs will be right in my budget. If I can I'd like to take care of a bump steer kit while I am in there, that can wait though if needed. Main focus is taking away the bumpy ride.

saunupe1911
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Dan12GT,

Me and other people on numerous S197 related forums have asked your same questions numerous times. The live rear axle by nature is just going to be fairly bumpy. It will never ride as comfortable as IRS, even though it can out perform must setups. So here's what my research has found.

2011-2014 Eibach Pro Springs (not 2010) and Koni STR.T is the most comfortable budget setup while giving you a huge upgrade in performance. This is what I currently run. No nose dive, minimal roll (none with stiffer bars), and very comfortable. Only elevated bumps upset the LRA. Also I've heard that the Eibach Pro are slightly more comfortable than the Steeda Sports.

Sam Strano's versions of the Steeda Ultralites and Koni STR.T give you the lowest drop and still keep a comfortable ride. But certainly rougher than Steeda Sports and Eibach Pro...this came straight from Sams mouth and my co-worker has this setup. The drop isn't that low in the rear at all.

Boss 302 springs with Koni STR.T - if you don't want to lower - Gets you a handling upgrade with stiffer springs but gets the great dampening Koni. I wish the setup was stock on all GT/Boss cars. The dampening hurts both cars in every comparison test.

Sometimes I wish I would have gotten the Koni Yellows/Sports because the rear end is actually too soft on the Koni STR.T. It needs to be stiffer IMO to help with the motion going over large bumps. I might just replace the rears sometime next year.

But the 3 setups above is the best budget/comfort/performance you can get depending on how low you want of a drop.

I'm curious to see how well a watts link will improve upon articulation and every driving comfort of a LRA. I've been holding out on control arms just for this. I just haven't met anyone that has one installed to get feedback.

Just my 2 cents on everything.

Phuck Phace
05-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I run sportlines in the front, pro kit in the rear, koni sports. fays 2 watts link and a bunch of other shit. I love the way the car handles. My truck is a worse ride than the mustang.

STROKD
05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Koni reds and Eibach springs... Had this setup on my Saleen and it rode like a Caddy and handled like a Vette... wish I never sold that car, it was so damn comfortable.

Dan12GT
05-06-2013, 06:28 PM
What the heck is this and why is it so cheap?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=8741-1549SPORT&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+GT+Coupe&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Standard+Brakes&cat=

DirtyD
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
What the heck is this and why is it so cheap?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Shock&group=Sport&partNum=8741-1549SPORT&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+GT+Coupe&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Standard+Brakes&cat=

Pretty sure those aren't actual Koni Yellows, just the Sports, which are a step below the STR.T's

Toby
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Imo if you want the best of both worlds so to speak, i would suggest the Koni str-t shocks at all corners along with the steeda ultralite springs. I promise you will not be disappointed!!

Dan12GT
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Ya I think I have pretty much made up my mind on the SRT.ts. I am already on BMR springs so I am keeping them. Only beef I have is they are orange. Wish I could get them in Red to match my other suspension stuff. I may look into powder coating them.

Midnight11
05-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Ya I think I have pretty much made up my mind on the SRT.ts. I am already on BMR springs so I am keeping them. Only beef I have is they are orange. Wish I could get them in Red to match my other suspension stuff. I may look into powder coating them.

just get eibachs then

Phuck Phace
05-08-2013, 12:32 AM
just get eibachs then

I have some rear Sportlines...

Dan12GT
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't need springs just shocks/struts :)