PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Grinding 5th Gear?.....

Rreemo
04-11-2013, 02:01 AM
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue with an M6 car? Mine is an early build 13'...completely stock, daily driver. I've got around 7k miles on it now, and for about the past 1500-2000 I've noticed an intermittent grind shifting into 5th gear....just driving it normal down the road. I've never shifted the car hard into 5th, or really any gear for that matter, and it seems this occurs perhaps even when I'm shifting up into 5th slower than normal....not like when running up through the gears getting onto the hwy, but instead like when you are just putting it up there at slower speeds on city streets. It's very intermittent and at first I thought it was just me being lazy on the clutch pedal, but now that I'm paying more attention to it I know it's not that. My wife came in recently and asked me about it too....apparently it happened to her a couple times when she last drove my car.

I found mention of it in 11/12's here, but nothing on 13's - http://mustangforums.com/articles/industry-news/nhtsa-ends-mustang-manual-transmission-investigation.php

It also seems that 5th gear is a bit more notchy feeling than the others...especially when it's cold.

OG Fox
04-11-2013, 03:15 AM
im sure your car has upgraded fluid, but you may ask your dealer about this.

Dan12GT
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM
I haven't had any issues with 5th however I think my car has seen a total of 5 mins of 5th gear the entire time I've owned it. I never use the gear. Changing the fluid might be something To consider. I am running Amsoil's tranny fluid and it definitely made an improvement in shifting smoothness. The fluid however does not like the cold much but once warmed up its butter smooth!

kn7671
04-14-2013, 01:53 PM
That sucks man, keep an eye on it and start listening for any other new noises. Does it seem to have any dependence on the engine rev's or temperature, or just anytime now?

MidWest281
04-14-2013, 07:52 PM
bad synchro. probably should take it in.

re-rx7
04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
My car has the supercharger whine in 1-4th. Taking it in sometime this wk.

Dan12GT
04-14-2013, 09:22 PM

The perks of warranty. Take it in and get it fixed. Let us know how it goes.

kn7671
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Your transmission could be toast.

My 2011 5.0 with MT82 had the whine in 1-4 too. The input shaft bearing and race was going bad and eating itself, therefore spinning that metal through the transmission and slowly eating everything else within. Ford replaced my entire transmission with a new one at 20k miles.

If you have plenty of miles left under warranty, you may be better off waiting longer until it gets worse, if you get my drift...

Rreemo
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
The problem with taking it in is that the issue is so intermittent that I know they are going to just say they can't duplicate the problem.

re-rx7
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Your transmission could be toast.

My 2011 5.0 with MT82 had the whine in 1-4 too. The input shaft bearing and race was going bad and eating itself, therefore spinning that metal through the transmission and slowly eating everything else within. Ford replaced my entire transmission with a new one at 20k miles.

If you have plenty of miles left under warranty, you may be better off waiting longer until it gets worse, if you get my drift...

The problem with taking it in is that the issue is so intermittent that I know they are going to just say they can't duplicate the problem.

Mine is constant. My dad is the Fleet Gm at the Ford dealership so I shouldnt have any trouble. I have 30k on the car. The service Mgr is a close friend as well of my dads. I bought my car certified so it has a 100k mile warranty.

Rreemo
04-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Mine is constant. My dad is the Fleet Gm at the Ford dealership so I shouldnt have any trouble. I have 30k on the car. The service Mgr is a close friend as well of my dads. I bought my car certified so it has a 100k mile warranty.

Sorry man....first thing that came to mind! :)

qG5PqxqzWes

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bfgkh1Iy1ql1yd0o1_r2_500.png

re-rx7
04-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Sorry man....first thing that came to mind! :)

qG5PqxqzWes

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bfgkh1Iy1ql1yd0o1_r2_500.png

Loved it! LOL :rage: