PDA

View Full Version : DSS Driveshaft Vibration

Luke
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Backstory: Driving down the freeway and slammed on the brakes due to traffic, while still slowing down just not as harshly, the car started to have a vibration. Vibration came and went and after 20 or so miles it actually got where driving wouldn't be possible. I had the wife ride the brake while I walked along outside and you could hear metal banging, driveshaft still looked ok from underneath when rolling. Putted the car to the house and put the stocker back in and all was well.

I sent the driveshaft (aluminum for an auto) back in and received info today that the CV was worn. DSS has since changed manufacturers for CV's is what I was told, and although they said this wasn't a common problem, apparently they had enough to change companies. He told me my driveshaft's build date used the old CV which were the problematic ones.

My car only had a handful of launches at the track on street tires and doesn't really get beat on too bad on the street, driveshaft had less than 3000 miles on it. Just wanted to give anyone out there with a DSS a heads up.

DSS was very helpful and handled the repair pretty quickly. Up until the vibration when it shit the bed within about 25 miles of starting, the driveshaft was great and smooth up to about 145. Haven't pushed the car any farther, YET.

downtime!
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Precisely why I went with Axle Exchange. 2 years, hundreds of launches, several bonzai top end charges, zero issues. It wasn't cheap, but it has turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made for the car.

Luke
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I got mine on the group buy on SVTP, I didn't like the setup of some of the others, part of why I chose the DSS. Even when I googled I couldn't find problems with these on 2011+ Mustangs, I'm hoping it just some bad luck, I guess we'll see.

JDBishopArts
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Is the DSS shaft the one that doesn't have the u-joint so you really need a UCA to adjust the pinon angle?

Phuck Phace
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I haven't had any problems with my DSS.

Luke
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Here it is

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac278/carsandparts817/2012-10-04_20-23-06_391_zps622dfc9d.jpg

Luke
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I haven't had any problems with my DSS.

Yeah I was going to ask you since you bought yours at the same time, I wanted to find out what was wrong first.

Did you buy the BMR loop too? How close is it to the shaft since your car is lowered?

Phuck Phace
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah I was going to ask you since you bought yours at the same time, I wanted to find out what was wrong first.

Did you buy the BMR loop too? How close is it to the shaft since your car is lowered?

Yep, have the BMR loop. It doesn't rub it at all.

Luke
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Yep, have the BMR loop. It doesn't rub it at all.

There was a weight on mine that was pretty close to the loop, unless it's moved once they repair and rebalance it I might throw some washers in to give it a little more space.

Luke
04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Update:
Got the driveshaft back, DSS said the CV was worn. They replaced it with the new style. Won't get to put it back on til I'm back home in July, hopefully this one lasts more than 5000 miles.