PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on motor swap?!

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Wanting to swap a motor eventually on the 82. Would like to keep in the Ford Family. Im wanting to make around 450-500hp to the crank and stay around 5k. I need the help of some wise fox body gurus on this one. Thanks.

Grandpa
04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Shop wisely and do a Terminator swap. It would be ridiculous fun in that car. I recently saw that Teal 93 Cobra with the swap done and a VMP blower making over 680 at the tires. Insane!

<---in before Strokd's usual mod motor hate and "windsor blah blah blah".

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Wanting to swap a motor eventually on the 82. Would like to keep in the Ford Family. Im wanting to make around 450-500hp to the crank and stay around 5k. I need the help of some wise fox body gurus on this one. Thanks.

H/c/I and a supercharger on a 302 and you have what you want. No need to swap to a terminator which would be more than 5k. I make that power and my combo is far from turned up. Shop the used market and you can get parts for cheap.

Grandpa
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
H/c/I and a supercharger on a 302 and you have what you want. No need to swap to a terminator which would be more than 5k. I make that power and my combo is far from turned up. Shop the used market and you can get parts for cheap.

Incorrect. You can get drivetrains cheaper than 5k now. Gotta remember, the cars are over 10 years old now. lol.

I've had both and the Terminator set up is WAY more fun to drive on the street with the instant torque. It will also make more power.

Your typical h/c/i + blower setup on a stock block will make around 500rwhp/low-mid 400tq. Which is still fun, but not as much fun as the Terminator set up. In order to make more power with the Fox set up will require a better block and internals which makes the cost arguement void since it will run about the same if not a lil more.

The stock shortblock in a Terminator set up will easily handle 600rw and more. Putting that set up in a Fox is silly fun because of the amazing power to weight ratio. All that torque in a fox makes them monsters on the street!

And do not forget that intoxicating PD blower whine. Ohhhh, sooo sexy. I miss it so much!

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Incorrect. You can get drivetrains cheaper than 5k now. Gotta remember, the cars are over 10 years old now. lol.

I've had both and the Terminator set up is WAY more fun to drive on the street with the instant torque. It will also make more power.

Your typical h/c/i + blower setup on a stock block will make around 500rwhp/low-mid 400tq. Which is still fun, but not as much fun as the Terminator set up. In order to make more power with the Fox set up will require a better block and internals which makes the cost arguement void since it will run about the same if not a lil more.

The stock shortblock in a Terminator set up will easily handle 600rw and more. Putting that set up in a Fox is silly fun because of the amazing power to weight ratio. All that torque in a fox makes them monsters on the street!

And do not forget that intoxicating PD blower whine. Ohhhh, sooo sexy. I miss it so much!

You can't be serious on cost. So your telling me he is going to get a k member, headers, fuel system, motor, computer, wiring harness, tune and tranny for under 5k. You can't do that swap in a fox without the above, so lets see how you make that math work.

Grandpa
04-01-2013, 11:58 AM
You can't be serious on cost. So your telling me he is going to get a k member, headers, fuel system, motor, computer, wiring harness, tune and tranny for under 5k. You can't do that swap in a fox without the above, so lets see how you make that math work.

Re-read what I said. Drivetrains. Yes, you can get motors/trans for 5k or less now. Any "swap" is going to have additional costs.

It's just my opinion, I think the Terminator swap is badass. It's worth the cost and when it's done right the Modfox's are amazing cars. There are several of them on SVTP putting down over 650rw to the tires, running well into the 9's all the while still getting great mileage and FAR beyond street manners any Windsor could ever hope for with it's superior ease of tuning.

That 93 Cobra with the swap that Kevin just tuned was a perfect example of what a well done swap car can be. Almost 700rw with over 580tq on E85. Drives like stock until your foot is in it then it's a monster.

I love the Windsors too. Strokd's 408 YSi combo was a fast car for it's day and I had a ton of fun in that car too. But it's street manners were more race car like and I personally prefer the modern tech and drivability to almost a race car on the street.

It's the same with his Dad's vert. 302 stroker with a YSi that makes around the same power as the swapped 93 Cobra car. But it's got a block, FAST, fuel system, YSi blower etc and it's unreliable as fuck. Just as expensive if not more than the 93.

Swapping to a Coyote motor could be an option too. Basic bolt ons would yield great power, factory reliability in a N/A form. Later down the road could be boosted too when funds allow.

I just don't see the point of sticking a weezy under powered 302 that will struggle to make decent power and have crap drivability. With all the great modern drivetrain options why not go with something that will drive better, get better mileage, make power and have a bunch of tuning options for?

Mike
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
If you're planning on pushing at or around 500hp with the 8.2 deck then you definitely need to stay away from a stock block. You could go with something 351 based (393, 408..etc) and easily hit your goals, and still have some room for growth.

Grandpa
04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
If you're planning on pushing at or around 500hp with the 8.2 deck then you definitely need to stay away from a stock block. You could go with something 351 based (393, 408..etc) and easily hit your goals, and still have some room for growth.

I will definetely agree with this if staying with a pushrod motor is in the plan.

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I'd like to stay NA with the possibility of boost later on. I know there are always gonna be extra costs, I'm just trying to budget for the motor itself right now, doing a 302 swap is more practical. But I know in the long run, a coyote or termi swap would be incredible.

I think since this is my first ever ground up build, I'll stick to a 302 swap. What are my options as for as a block are concerened, should i go short block or long block?

Grandpa
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd like to stay NA with the possibility of boost later on. I know there are always gonna be extra costs, I'm just trying to budget for the motor itself right now, doing a 302 swap is more practical. But I know in the long run, a coyote or termi swap would be incredible.

I think since this is my first ever ground up build, I'll stick to a 302 swap. What are my options as for as a block are concerened, should i go short block or long block?

A4 or a Sportsman block etc. Stay away from factory production type blocks. There is no truth to that factory "mexican" block nonsense about them being stronger. It will still split down the center like a regular block.

There are many engine builders out there still for Foxes. Just be sure to use a good block, forged internals etc. Keep in mind later that you are thinking about boosting it, so you will need to choose heads and a cam that will work with that later so you don't have to buy them twice.

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
A4 or a Sportsman block etc. Stay away from factory production type blocks. There is no truth to that factory "mexican" block nonsense about them being stronger. It will still split down the center like a regular block.

There are many engine builders out there still for Foxes. Just be sure to use a good block, forged internals etc. Keep in mind later that you are thinking about boosting it, so you will need to choose heads and a cam that will work with that later so you don't have to buy them twice.

X2 a good dart block with forged internals. Check out www.fordstrokers.com, they do long blocks and will build it for what you want along with the cam. There are a few guys on dfwmustangs running motors from that builder.

downtime!
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
As mentioned, the factory block is the weak link and it's hit or miss on when, or even if it will break. I know cars making 400 hp that split the block in a month, and I know several cars making 550-600 that have been running for years.

Best bet is to start with good stuff. And if you've never put an engine together, might as well start with a crate motor. Look at FRPP, they have all sorts of power levels available. Check out Craft as well. You're going to be over you $5k limit pretty quickly, no matter which way you go, so might as well leave the assembly to the pros.

STROKD
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Shop wisely and do a Terminator swap. It would be ridiculous fun in that car. I recently saw that Teal 93 Cobra with the swap done and a VMP blower making over 680 at the tires. Insane!

<---in before Strokd's usual mod motor hate and "windsor blah blah blah".

I was rolling my eyes reading that shit too...

OG, do a budget 408 setup. U can get a nice race motor from yellow bullet like mine for 3-4 grand, throw some heads on it and a nice carb/intake and you will be set. I sold my old 408 for 2k btw, a rebuild woulda been another 1500 and you could have thrown a 300 shot on it for fun if you needed it. The kid I sold it to made 497 rw through an auto with it... on motor, he hasnt sprayed it yet as its running deep 10s as it sits and he's happy with it.

PM me if you want, we can get into the logistics in more depth. Be happy to help you keep it from being a mod motor swap.

Luke
04-01-2013, 01:32 PM
For the price I'd go with a 351w based motor and a D block (very cheap). Now do you want something very streetable or a 500+hp N/A big cam weekend toy. I'm partial to the sound of a big cam but for driveability you could easily go with a more mild build and a supercharger.

Luke
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Just found this...
-347 Long Block
Forged 4140 crank
Forged Eagle H-beam rods
Forged JE flat top pistons
New bearings
Cometic head gaskets
AFR 185 heads (ported)
New oil pump
SFI balancer
Stock block (comes with oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and EFI Spyder intake with fuel rails)
-Complete $2800

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Just found this...
-347 Long Block
Forged 4140 crank
Forged Eagle H-beam rods
New bearings
Cometic head gaskets
AFR 185 heads (ported)
New oil pump
SFI balancer
Stock block (comes with oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and EFI Spyder intake with fuel rails)
-Complete $2800
Where I might be interested as well.

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Just found this...
-347 Long Block
Forged 4140 crank
Forged Eagle H-beam rods
New bearings
Cometic head gaskets
AFR 185 heads (ported)
New oil pump
SFI balancer
-Complete $2800
Where I might be interested as well.

Never mind just read more and will not work for me.

Luke
04-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Clifton on DFWM, add is about a month and a half old but he might have it still. I was considering it too but I want a converter for the '13 and need to tone down the spending.

http://dfwmustangs.net/class/showproduct.php?product=9450&title=motors-for-sale-21&cat=9

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 01:45 PM
For the price I'd go with a 351w based motor and a D block (very cheap). Now do you want something very streetable or a 500+hp N/A big cam weekend toy. I'm partial to the sound of a big cam but for driveability you could easily go with a more mild build and a supercharger.

something streetable, but yeah i love big cams too. I wanna be able to cruise around town.

Mike
04-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Here's a long block one of my buddies has for sale right now.

74 block
SRP pistons, hellfire rings
I beam rods
Forged crank
Main girdle
Canton oil pan
Professional products dampner
Procomp electric water pump
AFR 205 heads
Custom solid roller cam.
Comp solid roller lifters
Chromoly pushrods
Comp pro gold 1.6 rockers

$4500 obo

There are only three passes on everything since being freshened.

Luke
04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I traded a pretty clean 351w hatchback with a big cam and a C4 for a camper (I'm a dumbass) a few months back and it did great around town. The highway at over 3000 RPM's wasn't so much fun.

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Here's a long block one of my buddies has for sale right now.

74 block
SRP pistons, hellfire rings
I beam rods
Forged crank
Main girdle
Canton oil pan
Professional products dampner
Procomp electric water pump
AFR 205 heads
Custom solid roller cam.
Comp solid roller lifters
Chromoly pushrods
Comp pro gold 1.6 rockers

$4500 obo

There are only three passes on everything since being freshened.

im pretty clueless to what all that stuff is.

blownaltered
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM

by the looks of it, its not a bad setup. The main question I would have on that is cam specs and what it the compression of the motor. I will assume since he is saying its a 351 windsor based block manufactured in 74. Its not a dart or R block, but the 351 blocks were better than the 302 blocks. Strokd needs to chime in on this, Ive never ran a stock 351 block. Every 351 block I ever had was an R block.

Also I would want to know what the bore is and if it a stock stroke on the crank.

OG Fox
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
by the looks of it, its not a bad setup. The main question I would have on that is cam specs and what it the compression of the motor. I will assume since he is saying its a 351 windsor based block manufactured in 74. Its not a dart or R block, but the 351 blocks were better than the 302 blocks. Strokd needs to chime in on this, Ive never ran a stock 351 block. Every 351 block I ever had was an R block.

Also I would want to know what the bore is and if it a stock stroke on the crank.

now thats english i understand.

Mike
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM

That motor is a stock 1974 block, I'm sure someone else will confirm the numbers, but they are typically good to about 800-850 HP.
I can't help with questions about the cam specs or compression right this second.

STROKD
04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
That motor is a stock 1974 block, I'm sure someone else will confirm the numbers, but they are typically good to about 800-850 HP.
I can't help with questions about the cam specs or compression right this second.
74 is a decent year, with stock 2 bolt mains its safe to about 600-650bhp... Or 500ish rw. I beam rods are cheap, SRP pistons are off the shelf non custom replacements made by JE (decent). I think the price is fair because of the heads... What compression and cubic inch is it?

OG Fox
04-02-2013, 01:22 AM
STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD.

lets stay on topic. how hard would it to get 400 wheel horsepower out of a 302.? lets say i found an 91 in the graveyard somewhere. what would the plan be? is that something i can keep around 5k for just the motor.

Grandpa
04-02-2013, 09:16 AM

lets stay on topic. how hard would it to get 400 wheel horsepower out of a 302.? lets say i found an 91 in the graveyard somewhere. what would the plan be? is that something i can keep around 5k for just the motor.

Sorry, Dale. Cleaned up the thread for ya.

Your typical heads/cam/intake/carb 302's will make 280-310rw. For 400rw NA you will need to build a 351 based stroker with good heads, cam/intake/carb.

blownaltered
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM

347 with heads, cam, intake, exhaust will be close. You will not make it with a 302 without a power adder. Yes it can be done for 5k if you do your own work and buy a few things used.

STROKD
04-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Not happening. Sorry, just being honest.

Mike
04-02-2013, 12:31 PM

The budget you are setting is MORE than enough to get to your goal, but it's a waste of time trying to do it with a 302 based block. I run across 393's, 408's and other 351 based strokers all the time that are complete and ready to drop in for under $5k.

74 is a decent year, with stock 2 bolt mains its safe to about 600-650bhp... Or 500ish rw. I beam rods are cheap, SRP pistons are off the shelf non custom replacements made by JE (decent). I think the price is fair because of the heads... What compression and cubic inch is it?

That is a 408Ci, not sure on compression.

STROKD
04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
The budget you are setting is MORE than enough to get to your goal, but it's a waste of time trying to do it with a 302 based block. I run across 393's, 408's and other 351 based strokers all the time that are complete and ready to drop in for under $5k.

That is a 408Ci, not sure on compression.

for a 408 with a good forged crank, the price is more than reasonable. I would figure that motor with 205s and a good carb intake should make 430-450 at the wheels depending on compression?

Edit, just re read the motor setup, with a solid roller it could make near 500 rw... that'd be a fun street engine.

blownaltered
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
You want real info go to www.corral.net and do a search in the Windsor motor forum. Do some reading and you will find your answer.

Grandpa
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Not happening. Sorry, just being honest.

Agreed. No 302 based motor is going to get there. It will require a 351 based motor of some sort.

STROKD
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Agreed. No 302 based motor is going to get there. It will require a 351 based motor of some sort.

yes and no. a 302, no, a 302 stroked to something substantial, yes. my dad's 351 stroker made 487 bhp which would be around 410rw, and it's only 8.8-1 and has a baby cam and small heads...:favorites13:

I think a 347 with 11-1 compression and some good heads would make over 400 rw, but it wouldnt be 5k unless he found all the parts used.

Edit, I think Toby made 420 rw with a 347 as well... not sure on specifics.

OG Fox
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
yes and no. a 302, no, a 302 stroked to something substantial, yes. my dad's 351 stroker made 487 bhp which would be around 410rw, and it's only 8.8-1 and has a baby cam and small heads...:favorites13:

I think a 347 with 11-1 compression and some good heads would make over 400 rw, but it wouldnt be 5k unless he found all the parts used.

Edit, I think Toby made 420 rw with a 347 as well... not sure on specifics.

ok cool, these are the answers i been looking for.
I just got the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they did a whole bunch of engine combos on the 302/stroker/boosted applications.

The final N/A motor was a 363 stroker (302 based block), dart pro heads, holley 950 carb, custom cam, and put down to the crank 564/ 487.

in comparison to a modified carb 347 stroker which put down 482/ 424 to the crank.

So it looks like I'll be going stroker.

46Tbird
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
There is no way you will get 500 n/a hp between the rails on a $5k budget.

ok cool, these are the answers i been looking for.
I just got the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they did a whole bunch of engine combos on the 302/stroker/boosted applications.

The final N/A motor was a 363 stroker (302 based block), dart pro heads, holley 950 carb, custom cam, and put down to the crank 564/ 487.

in comparison to a modified carb 347 stroker which put down 482/ 424 to the crank.

So it looks like I'll be going stroker.

To get that 363" size you have to run a 4.125" bore which automatically means a $2000 aftermarket block. That doesn't include the machine work to clearance it for that big stroker crank and buying all the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing set, etc etc etc. I'm not sure you could get that short block together for your $5k budget - and then all you'd have to bolt on it would be those sweet smogger '82 heads.

Concentrate your $$ where it counts. Your best bet is to buy one of those well built long- or shortblocks that other people have posted up. Let someone else take a hit on all that pricey stuff. Remember that you're going to have to spend a fortune in headers/exhaust, fuel system/carb, ignition, converter or clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc to support ANY "500hp" engine combination.

Building a car ain't cheap, so when someone says they have a cheap and fast Fox body, they are talking about an '87-93 car with a nitrous kit that is living on borrowed time.

Grandpa
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM

To get that 363" size you have to run a 4.125" bore which automatically means a $2000 aftermarket block. That doesn't include the machine work to clearance it for that big stroker crank and buying all the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing set, etc etc etc. I'm not sure you could get that short block together for your $5k budget - and then all you'd have to bolt on it would be those sweet smogger '82 heads.

Concentrate your $$ where it counts. Your best bet is to buy one of those well built long- or shortblocks that other people have posted up. Let someone else take a hit on all that pricey stuff. Remember that you're going to have to spend a fortune in headers/exhaust, fuel system/carb, ignition, converter or clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc to support ANY "500hp" engine combination.

Building a car ain't cheap, so when someone says they have a cheap and fast Fox body, they are talking about an '87-93 car with a nitrous kit that is living on borrowed time.

Exactly. Very well said.

Cheap, fast or reliable. Pick two because it's all you get.

46Tbird
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
If you want confirmation of what I stated above, go to dfwmustangs.net and look for threads started by 91CoupeMike. lol

Mike
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Spoken like a pro! I thought I was going to build my yellow car within three months and support 500hp without issues. I quickly found out that it was going to take longer than that to do it right, and the cost would be much higher than expected.

OP, have you put much thought into what tranny you plan on using to support this 500hp goal? Your typical T5 and AOD aren't going to be up for the task for very long.

If you want confirmation of what I stated above, go to dfwmustangs.net and look for threads started by 91CoupeMike. lol

lmao

OG Fox
04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
OP, have you put much thought into what tranny you plan on using to support this 500hp goal? Your typical T5 and AOD aren't going to be up for the task for very long.

no clue honestly, i want something sturdy. im not buying everything at once either, im gonna slowly build the engine first so if i go over 5k, then thats fine. Im also working on the suspension in the mean time.

blownaltered
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I just put a tko 600 in mine with a twin disc clutch. Since I make 500hp my t5 was living on borrowed time. Decided to sell the t5 before it blew up and I couldn't sell it.

TrueStreetMotorSports.com
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
no clue honestly, i want something sturdy. im not buying everything at once either, im gonna slowly build the engine first so if i go over 5k, then thats fine. Im also working on the suspension in the mean time.

Ill sell you my motor out of my race car for 12,500. Carb to oil pan, 640rwhp to the tires with a stick. 9.80 on the motor..... Lol it's ready to go, everything is 100% fresh

OG Fox
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Ill sell you my motor out of my race car for 12,500. Carb to oil pan, 640rwhp to the tires with a stick. 9.80 on the motor..... Lol it's ready to go, everything is 100% fresh

uhhhh yeah let me get an auto loan out asap.

BLK2012GT
04-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Lol that's funny right there

OG Fox
04-04-2013, 12:48 AM
HKKin-EpaD0this video was posted today. crazy coincidence? ever heard of blueprint engines? they have a 347.

STROKD
04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
392 crank hp from a 347 is pretty f'in sad.

Call this guy.

http://www.keithcraft.com/

OG Fox
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
392 crank hp from a 347 is pretty f'in sad.

Call this guy.

http://www.keithcraft.com/

yeah, those numbers were low, i was expecting 450. and thanks, ill look into it.

STROKD
04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
yeah, those numbers were low, i was expecting 450. and thanks, ill look into it.

he has a dyno video of a 302 they just built that did 605 at the crank... thats about 510 rw. out of a pushrod 302... probably not in your 5k budget though.:hidesbehindsofa:

OG Fox
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
he has a dyno video of a 302 they just built that did 605 at the crank... thats about 510 rw. out of a pushrod 302... probably not in your 5k budget though.:hidesbehindsofa:

prolly not. but my main concern is a good starting point. so right now im deciding on a short block.

Grandpa
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Dale - I just got my copy of the new 5.0 Mustang in the mail today and on the front cover is a four eye fox body and it's all about motor swaps this month! How weird is that? lol

OG Fox
04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Dale - I just got my copy of the new 5.0 Mustang in the mail today and on the front cover is a four eye fox body and it's all about motor swaps this month! How weird is that? lol

haha i got mine too and read through all the builds. 347 stroker carb or efi is where im leaning. it can't be a coincidence.

Grandpa
04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
haha i got mine too and read through all the builds. 347 stroker carb or efi is where im leaning. it can't be a coincidence.

My carb'd car did not like the cold weather at all, very tempermental until it warmed up. It was easy as hell to tune though and cheaper than EFI. On the nitrous plate it would carry the front wheels about a foot off the ground for the first few feet. It left HARD!

There are pros and cons to both EFI and carb'd setups. It's really what you can live with and afford.

blownaltered
04-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Save me that copy would ya. I'm starting to do research on that for down the road. I might start buying parts here and there for the swap, so it's not such a hit all at once. Makes the wife happy when I spend it slower.

Grandpa
04-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Save me that copy would ya. I'm starting to do research on that for down the road. I might start buying parts here and there for the swap, so it's not such a hit all at once. Makes the wife happy when I spend it slower.

You're not doing a swap, just a shortblock build. A swap would be changing up your setup completely.

blownaltered
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
You're not doing a swap, just a shortblock build. A swap would be changing up your setup completely.

I know I still want to read it though. I am going to start buying pistons, rods, etc here before long.

04-05-2013, 12:25 AM
I have a customer with A brand new boss block in the crate, $1600

blownaltered
04-05-2013, 12:37 AM

:poker:

OG Fox
04-05-2013, 12:38 AM

How much to stroke it.. Lol

STROKD
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Borat voice... Vedy NIIIICCCCEEEEE

04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
How much to stroke it.. Lol

you could build this motor for about $4500-$5000 as a 331,347,or a 363. The block and internals would be good for 1300fwhp.

If I was in your shoes I would build a bigger motor since you need everything and it will not cost more. Dart block 351 stroked to a 430-450 would a average set of heads would make 530+RWHP and a 100+ more RWTQ and not cost much or any more than to build a small 302 Based motor.

blownaltered
04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
you could build this motor for about $4500-$5000 as a 331,347,or a 363. The block and internals would be good for 1300fwhp.

If I was in your shoes I would build a bigger motor since you need everything and it will not cost more. Dart block 351 stroked to a 430-450 would a average set of heads would make 530+RWHP and a 100+ more RWTQ and not cost much or any more than to build a small 302 Based motor.

Since he is starting from scratch it is easy to go that route. Me I will stay 302 based since everything I have is setup for it and I would spend a fortune converting over.

04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Since he is starting from scratch it is easy to go that route. Me I will stay 302 based since everything I have is setup for it and I would spend a fortune converting over.

Agreed!!!!! you have a set up to make 600+ with not much more than a short block. The Boss block stroked to a 331 would be a perfect combo for you to make good power and allow that blower to start being used:smoke2:

Grandpa
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
allow that blower to start being used:smoke2:

But he's not interested in racing... :happy175::hidesbehindsofa:

OG Fox
04-05-2013, 01:57 PM

well i'm visiting the shop later, i'll talk to you guys about it some more!

blownaltered
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
But he's not interested in racing... :happy175::hidesbehindsofa:

Just because I want a block I don't have to worry about doesn't mean I want to race. It means I want safety.

Grandpa
04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Just because I want a block I don't have to worry about doesn't mean I want to race. It means I want safety.

:gayflag:

blownaltered
04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
:gayflag:

:upyours:

STROKD
04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
In all honesty Donnie, my dad built his shortblock to be the last one the car ever needed and so it wouldn't blow up when he got on it as well... He doesn't race it and never really goes over 80 in it.

He was tired of worrying about the rods coming out of the block everytime he got on it, (or lifting the heads and blowing gaskets) and was hooked on the power of the blower after it being slow for most of it's life.

I will probably eventually take it to the track once or twice just to see if I can get it down the track. The car Steve and I ran a long while back ran 9s, so if that's any indication of what the car will do, I should be able to get it in the high 10s with a stick. Id be pretty proud if it ran that good since the suspension is stiffer than hell and it weighs about 3900 lbs with me in it.

Grandpa
04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
. He doesn't race it and never really goes over 80 in it.

LMFAO, he hasn't SEEN the car in years let alone drive it!

Honestly, that car is THE perfect fox cruiser/weekend warrior I've ever seen with exception of the fucking gay wheels. It's a crime that there isn't a nice set of wheels on that car. lol

I would cruise the hell out of that car and it's a shame no one loves it enough to drive it. I'm planning on kneecapping Matt and his Dad for neglecting that car. In fact, Matt should be kicked in the balls for being a legendary Mustang killer. I hate him.

STROKD
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I like the Rs, always have, they look good on the car. Not my fault everyone played them out with ugly replicas.

The car doesn't move because it's not tuned. I have no reason to drive it because if I do race someone Ill probably break something. My dad doesn't race, doesn't matter if he hasn't driven it in a few years or not, he's not really into it. Last time he actually raced was at FFW Houston I think in 2004, and that was in his truck. He's never taken a pass in the C6, he just let's me do it because he doesn't want to be embarrassed. He doesn't st race because he's always paranoid.

So yea, as I said he didn't build the car up to race anyone, just to be fun to drive. All it lacks is a tune, which he is avoiding so I'm not out racing it. I don't want to be responsible of breaking it which is why I haven't tuned it myself or had TS do it on my nickel.

blownaltered
04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
In all honesty Donnie, my dad built his shortblock to be the last one the car ever needed and so it wouldn't blow up when he got on it as well... He doesn't race it and never really goes over 80 in it.

He was tired of worrying about the rods coming out of the block everytime he got on it, (or lifting the heads and blowing gaskets) and was hooked on the power of the blower after it being slow for most of it's life.

I will probably eventually take it to the track once or twice just to see if I can get it down the track. The car Steve and I ran a long while back ran 9s, so if that's any indication of what the car will do, I should be able to get it in the high 10s with a stick. Id be pretty proud if it ran that good since the suspension is stiffer than hell and it weighs about 3900 lbs with me in it.
That the same reason I went ahead and put in the new transmission. I was scared of shredding it every time I would hit boost. I will probably start buying the parts before long. I am also going to start buying the parts for the suspension on my car. Those are really the only two things left to do to the car.

Grandpa
04-06-2013, 07:22 PM
That the same reason I went ahead and put in the new transmission. I was scared of shredding it every time I would hit boost. I will probably start buying the parts before long. I am also going to start buying the parts for the suspension on my car. Those are really the only two things left to do to the car.

LOL, the last time Matt and I were out in the vert we destroyed the transmission in it. Like seriously loud BOOM! But he still beat that turbo hatch. :happy175:

blownaltered
04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
LOL, the last time Matt and I were out in the vert we destroyed the transmission in it. Like seriously loud BOOM! But he still beat that turbo hatch. :happy175:

You are a kill joy. Is there anything I post you can't make a negative out of.

Grandpa
04-07-2013, 07:03 AM
You are a kill joy. Is there anything I post you can't make a negative out of.

Well, I understand why you think that right now since you arent happy with what is going on with your car right now and you're understandably pissy, but that wasn't my intent to be negative, was just telling funny story from yet another one of mine and Matt's adventures. Only us two goofballs could manage to take out a bullletproof car and destroy it on one rare night it went out. It was scary and hilarious all at the same time. :lol:

STROKD
04-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Luckily all it did was lose the input shaft. I had a new one installed, and it's as good or better than new (till it does it again!) ...:shakehead:

STROKD
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Well, I understand why you think that right now since you arent happy with what is going on with your car right now and you're understandably pissy, but that wasn't my intent to be negative, was just telling funny story from yet another one of mine and Matt's adventures. Only us two goofballs could manage to take out a bullletproof car and destroy it on one rare night it went out. It was scary and hilarious all at the same time. :lol:

well the trans obviously wasnt bulletproof! hahaha I told my dad if there is a gd weak link, Ill find it. I break that car almost everytime I drive it. I broke his "built AOD" 3 times, broke the stock AOD under warranty twice, blew the stock motor up, rebuilt it on my own in a few days, blew it up the very next day after it was tuned... it's just a nightmare of a car. The complete opposite of the 86... that thing WONT break, even when I try to blow it up, it's like what else you got!?:happy107:

blownaltered
04-07-2013, 04:01 PM
To the op this was just posted on dfwmustangs today

http://dfwmustangs.net/class/showproduct.php?product=9911&title=fordstrokers-408w&cat=9

STROKD
04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
To the op this was just posted on dfwmustangs today

http://dfwmustangs.net/class/showproduct.php?product=9911&title=fordstrokers-408w&cat=9

thats a decent price, the F4TE is sort of a pos, but if he doesnt plan any power adders itll be fine.

331fox
12-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Aod are junk no matter how much money you put in them

downtime!
12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Old thread, car has been sold.

OG Fox
12-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Old thread, car has been sold.

no more fox for me. was in over my head for sure.