PDA

View Full Version : Think I want to do a small drop

IHateThisSite
03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
After talking to Beau Ballard tonight I think I want to do a small drop on my car... Was thinking Steeda springs and he suggested a adjustable panhard bar and Jonathan said I should get Don's gt500 strut mounts... Anyone want to chim in with some information... Also where I can get it done and for how much.. Thanks for the help!

PLASMAN
03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I think i saw on SVT BBR was running a deal on struts/shocks and springs FRPP for $325. I'll hook you up with the mounts and your done...

DirtyD
03-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Yes! Get the FRPP kit from BBR! It comes with the Ford racing non-adjustable struts and shocks and the P springs (~1" drop). The struts and stuff will be a little stiffer than stock, but you can always resell them and keep your stock struts. :)

IHateThisSite
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Really just looking for a inch front and back and don't want to spend a ton of money on it... Figured I could do that with springs..

PLASMAN
03-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Really just looking for a inch front and back and don't want to spend a ton of money on it... Figured I could do that with springs..

You can do just P springs 1" drop for $200

Midnight11
03-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Steeda sport springs

BLK2012GT
03-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Yup can't go wrong with steedas

jng2985
03-26-2013, 07:35 AM
My vote is k springs. 1.5 all around.. Looks way! Better and I have yet to scrape on anything around town.. Just know if you're a jiggly person they will make you jiggle a little more driving around lol.

merlinmol
03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
I can't chime in about springs for these cars since I have only used coilover's, but you do need an adjustable panhard bar so the rear can be properly centered. Typically LCA relocation brackets are recommended too, but you do not have to get those. As far as places to go I'd say it depends on where you live, but Mike @ Whiteside Customs is a suspension guru out in Mckinney.

Phuck Phace
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Sportlines FTW

GrabberMatt
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I drove on EibachvProkit springs with stock struts/shocks and stock panhard bar for over a year with zero probs. I recommend these springs based on your goal

03MachMe
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Sportlines FTW

This

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Sportlines FTW

This

x3

Almost everyone who uses a ProKit or something similiar in drop always end up saying they wish they went a lil lower to make it look better. The fenderwells are so large on these cars it really requires are larger wheel and at LEAST a 1 1/2 inch drop to look right to lose that ugly fender gap.

BLK2012GT
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I was going to say sport lines but he said he wanted only a inch drop.

Midnight11
03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Coilovers>all

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Coilovers>all

I agree. You do have the best stance on the site without a doubt.

Phuck Phace
03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
I agree. You do have the best stance on the site without a doubt.

..and the best ride quality. Will literally shake the shit out of you, ask me how I know.

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
..and the best ride quality. Will literally shake the shit out of you, ask me how I know.

Did you shart in his car? lmao.

IHateThisSite
03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
I want it to ride like stock if I can ... Just want a slight drop .. Looking to spend a few hundred not a few thousand... Simple small drop ... I know you all go balls out with everything but this is my only car and I have other bill to pay so not everything I make gets dumped into the car...

I thank you for the input but just telling me to buy $3,000 suspensions for my slow DD is not much if a help ...

BLK2012GT
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Yeah that's no shit. It looks really good but the ride kinda sux.

Midnight11
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I didn't pay 3000 for mine try 300. I can adjust everything and have it ride like stock if I want.

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
I didn't pay 3000 for mine try 300. I can adjust everything and have it ride like stock if I want.

So these guys are saying you LIKE your car to ride rough since you haven't adjusted it?

Midnight11
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
No I'm lazy and like you said it looks good so it's manageable

DirtyD
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Getting a slightly shorter spring will only increase the firmness of the ride a small amount compared to stock. Of course the spring rate matters, so I would try to find a spring that is as close to the stock spring rate as possible.

txminime
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I want it to ride like stock if I can ... Just want a slight drop .. Looking to spend a few hundred not a few thousand... Simple small drop ... I know you all go balls out with everything but this is my only car and I have other bill to pay so not everything I make gets dumped into the car...

I thank you for the input but just telling me to buy $3,000 suspensions for my slow DD is not much if a help ...

For a DD, it is certainly "ok" to just change the springs and keep the stock struts/shocks to keep cost down. The downside is that depending on spring rate, the OEM shocks/struts may not be able to damp the springs as well, and they might wears out faster.

OTOH, it sounds like you are planning on paying a shop to do the install. If that's the case, not changing the struts when you are changing springs means that you are going to pay the shop *again* when it is time to change struts and shocks. I think Koni ST.r are on sale now, so you might wants to consider buying the shocks/struts now, wait a bit before buying the springs, and pay the shop just one time to get everything installed. I think it will ends up saving you some money.

FWIW, it is not always necessary to use an adjustable panhard bar. 1" isn't a big drop and there are enough tolerances from one car to another that you may not have problem with the axle not centered after the drop. If budget is an issue, skip the panhard bar for now and decide if it is necessary after the springs are installed.

Francis

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
FWIW, it is not always necessary to use an adjustable panhard bar. 1" isn't a big drop and there are enough tolerances from one car to another that you may not have problem with the axle not centered after the drop. If budget is an issue, skip the panhard bar for now and decide if it is necessary after the springs are installed.

Francis

I disagree. Anytime you change the geometry of the factory suspension it will throw everything off. The cheap way is very rarely the cheap way in the long run. Do it right th first time buying what is needed and save yourself money down the road.

Phuck Phace
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I disagree. Anytime you change the geometry of the factory suspension it will throw everything off. The cheap way is very rarely the cheap way in the long run. Do it right th first time buying what is needed and save yourself money down the road.

X2, my 07GT needed one with just a prokit drop.

merlinmol
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah that's no shit. It looks really good but the ride kinda sux.

Everyone that rides in my car says its the most comfortable they have been in. Of course my coil overs are turned down for street driving, but its soft, not harsh. I also don't have my car dropped as much as Nick. I can tell you that if you turn the settings up to the 20-30 range, it wouldn't be fun for street driving, too harsh.

Phuck Phace
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Mine is low and it only rides hard when I have the Konis on "racecar"

Grandpa
03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Mine is low and it only rides hard when I have the Konis on "racecar"

It only rides rough when it actually moves.. Lol

Phuck Phace
03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
It only rides rough when it actually moves.. Lol

Soon.

pohnjarker
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
steeda ultralites

IHateThisSite
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
The Steeda ultralights seem to get the drop and people seem to love them... That's what I am thinking of going with..

BlueBolt
03-26-2013, 10:08 PM
If I could find some sportlines Id sell you my steeda ultralights. I want to go lower.

Toby
03-26-2013, 10:15 PM
steeda ultralites with gt500 strut mounts, camber bolts and a panhard bar will be the correct way to do it. will give a stock like ride along with a great stance!

BlueBolt
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Where did you get these $300 coilovers?:Big Laugh:

03MachMe
03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Where did you get these $300 coilovers?:Big Laugh:

Used off someone who was trading his car in just trying to get as much money out of it as possible

IHateThisSite
03-27-2013, 12:47 AM
steeda ultralites with gt500 strut mounts, camber bolts and a panhard bar will be the correct way to do it. will give a stock like ride along with a great stance!

This is what I was thinking about doing ... I think for the money it's the safest way to go... I feel like I would need to spend significantly more money to move up from that point and I am not ready to do that...

Also I was talking to a friend who installed Steeda springs as well and he said he did it without a spring compressor he just lowered the car really carefully.. Anyone have anything to say about that?

It is my only car so I don't want to have to rent a car for a few days to have a shop do it ... That and I really want to learn how to do this stuff...

BlueBolt
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Used off someone who was trading his car in just trying to get as much money out of it as possible

I figured that's what it was. And I think I know who he got them from.

pohnjarker
03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
This is what I was thinking about doing ... I think for the money it's the safest way to go... I feel like I would need to spend significantly more money to move up from that point and I am not ready to do that...

Also I was talking to a friend who installed Steeda springs as well and he said he did it without a spring compressor he just lowered the car really carefully.. Anyone have anything to say about that?

It is my only car so I don't want to have to rent a car for a few days to have a shop do it ... That and I really want to learn how to do this stuff...

i agree, i have the panhard and a rear set of ultralites already, will be getting Strange shocks/struts, camber bolt soon, and GT500 mounts.

the rear just has to be lowered for the springs to come out...front is different, the spring compressor is needed if i remember correctly.

the rears shocks/springs will take about 30 minutes, give or take. the fronts should take an hour or two, depending on if you know what you're doing.

there are plenty of people on here who are cheap sluts and will help for only a case of beer :cheers:

txminime
03-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Spring compressor are free (just leave a deposit) at AutoZone.

Francis

PLASMAN
03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Spring compressor are free (just leave a deposit) at AutoZone.

Francis

If your going to aftermarket springs they are shorter and you dont need a compressor, true story did it last week. Use a floor jack under the A arm to slowly let the springs down until the pressure is off the spring. Then use a large flatblade screwdriver to pry the spring off its perch and then turn it clockwise and basically corckscrew it around the strut to make the whole thing shorter and then pull it all out as one piece.

Just drop the A Arm all the way down and put the strut mount end in first as on piece and then if you have to use a floor jack to compress and install.

juiced86stang
03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
For ride quality I will tell you the Steeda Ultralites are awesome. My car rides like stock but without all the nosedive under braking.

ProCharge5.0
03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I have Steeda Ultralights and a panhard, Stock struts/mounts/shocks and I love it. Rides nice, good drop, and my headers don't drag on anything.

Sock
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Remove them from the car before you take them apart. And Eibach make the springs for Ford Racing and might make steeda's. I run Sportlines because I like the drop but the Pro-kit is probably the best on the market! I have put a couple hundred sets on 2005 and up chassis without any complaints. I even use them on other Makes.

Midnight11
03-28-2013, 09:07 PM
I figured that's what it was. And I think I know who he got them from.

Yea and throw in a bmr Panhard in there too :)

moor3r
03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
FYI... The Eibach Sportlines for 05-09 GTs will give you a lower drop. I used these on my '13 DIB Base GT and I can't run 40 series tire because the tires rub to much due to the car being too low. (I have a set of tires for sale if anyone is interested. 255 40 20 and 275 40 20)

Lower your car prior to committing to a wheel and tire package. Good luck!

Phuck Phace
03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
FYI... The Eibach Sportlines for 05-09 GTs will give you a lower drop. I used these on my '13 DIB Base GT and I can't run 40 series tire because the tires rub to much due to the car being too low. (I have a set of tires for sale if anyone is interested. 255 40 20 and 275 40 20)

I run the older springs, low as fuck.

DirtyD
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Man your car is calling for a GT500 spoiler and it will look sick.

So the tires you are selling are what you originally bought for the wheels?

moor3r
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Man your car is calling for a GT500 spoiler and it will look sick.

So the tires you are selling are what you originally bought for the wheels?

Actually I bought the wheels and tires off of an s197 board member after my drop but based on his tire size. After meeting him Abilene (that was half way for both of us) and picking 'em up... oops! They were rubbing like hell. No damage to the tire but rubbing just the same. Had to drop another grand on tires. So the take offs are in the garage. $300 for the set if you are interested. Less then 1500 miles.

As for the spoiler I was thinking of doing a spoiler delete.

moor3r
03-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I run the older springs, low as fuck.

Yeah, I'm loving the low life!