PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of misfire counter???

JDMLOL
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
New to the forums. Just got a '13 Base GT 6MT about three weeks ago. Outlaw ab exhaust is the only thing done to the car thus far. I was wondering if anyone uses or has heard of Torque for android and if anyone knows how accurate it is. My car doesn't even have 2k on it and according to Torque, I will have anywhere from 1-15 or so misfires each time I pull my test results for various cylinders. Is it normal for these cars to have onesy-twosy-tensy misfires? There are no strange driveability issues or CEL and the dealer basically said don't worry about it until one of those two things becomes apparent.

Grandpa
03-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Please make an introduction thread. :)

Luke
03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I've never heard of the app but what do the reviews say about how accurate it is? If you don't feel anything and there's no engine light I wouldn't worry about it.

JDMLOL
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I haven't really looked at the ones on google play, I've just been trying to figure out what people have been saying on various forums. I can't find a definite answer. Apparently add-on "PID's" can be downloaded which apparently are parameters setup for certain manufacturers. I'm guessing each company has slightly different formulas that decode what the reader retrieves from the ECU. I downloaded the one for Ford but I don't know if it automatically applies itself or if you have to set it up once downloaded. The reading was the same with and without it downloaded. I'm in a loaner Focus right now because my car had rodent damage done to the firewall insulation from sitting on the lot (didn't notice until about a week after I got it home -_-) and I plugged it in and it read perfect. So I don't know what the deal is. I guess I will just TRY to not worry about it, even though I will.

MidWest281
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah its normal for a misfire every once and awhile. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will only set if there is a consecutive misfire on a specific cylinder. I forget the number of misfires it takes to set a code, I think it's 5 consecutive. I could be wrong though, and im too lazy to look up the exact info right now.

Ford Motor Company's scan tool and software has a special feature called "Mode 6 data". In this data it counts misfires on each individual cylinder. There may be a few misfire counts on each cylinder without a DTC setting, which is normal.

Technically almost every ignition is a misfire, because you don't get perfect ignition and perfect combustion.... ;)

At any rate, a couple misfires here and there is no real cause for concern unless you get something consistent, and if that's the case, a DTC will set. (If the misfire profile is learned, MP_LRN = YES)

MidWest281
03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
:fuckyea::mfr_closed1: